Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatgooglymoogly_gw

Keeping rose seed viable over winter

GreatGooglyMoogly
10 years ago

I have never planted roses from seed before, but I have been reading a fair amount about it lately and want to give it a try. My main problem I can't seem to find an answer to has to do with the fact that winters where I am from (Connecticut, USA) regularly are below freezing, with periods of temperatures from 0 30, sometimes going below 0 (all in fahrenheit). I think this leaves winter sowing out of the question. I just picked my hip and took the seeds out, now I need to know how best to preserve them until I can plant them in the early spring (march is absolute earliest around here, frosts possible until may). Should I keep them in the fridge soaking in the water/peroxide mix for 3-4 months, or will that ruin their chance of germination? What would be my other options? Should I just have left them on the bush another month or 2, exposing them to below freezing temperatures? Any appropriate feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Patrick

P.S.-- My zone says 6, but I am on the severe northern edge of it. I am more like a 5.

This post was edited by GreatGooglyMoogly on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 13:03

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County