Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yotetrapper

Can roses be propagated indoors?

yotetrapper
15 years ago

Wondering about propagating cuttings indoor over the winter? Anyone ever do this? Also, is it too late to take cuttings from a bush?

Comments (9)

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I'm absolutely NO expert, but I am going outside today to take cuttings of my gallicas, albas, damasks, and mosses...and maybe a few odds and ends. I'm significantly warmer than you though.

I would say that the best way to find out if it will work for you is to try. Check out Connie's indoor method at hartwoodroses.com. She's had great success rooting in her basement.

Robert

• yotetrapper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• scarzi
    15 years ago

I did very well last year with my Knockouts. After a flush of new growth in the cool weather of the fall I collected cuttings and struck them in peat perlite mix covered in the windowsill. I lost a few, but by spring I had new growth appearing and I potted them up in 4" pots and into gallons later.

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

Hi yotetrapper,
    Yes you can certainly propagate rose cuttings inside. I took advice from someone here and purchased a plastic storage bin with a clear lid and placed some cuttings that are in clear plastic drinking cups with pro mix medium into the bin, put the lid over it and placed it under some florescent lights for 16 hours a day, and now have roots on some of them. I started them back on 10/8/08. The condensation builds up inside the bin to keep the cuttings moist, if you don't get this moisture build up the cuttings will dry up, I placed a cup of water in the bin to make sure.
    Good luck!

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

It is very easy to root roses indoors, but please make sure you are only rooting roses that are off patent. Breeders work too hard for us to be rooting roses we should be buying. Okay, now I am off my soapbox.

With that said, I took a method described very intricately by George Mander and made a few modifications, such as rooting medium, warming, but Georges' method really is the best and easiest way to root. I use coconut coir instead of what he uses, and I use direct heat with a thermostat rather than light bulbs. Also, George seems to be rooting mini's mostly, so add about 7 days time for HT's. I root florist roses and rare HT's using this method, and I usually have roots by day 27.

You can check it out below.

Here is a link that might be useful: George Mander rooting method.

• olivia23( NC zone 7 )
    15 years ago

Just be warned that when I typed hartwoodroses.com. using google search, the first link I clicked on (which was about roses) was a trojan horse virus! My antivirus popped up immediately and said it was. Also this other pop up box opened up and said something about my computer may have a virus, and they try to get you to click like a yes or no answer, but to do that would install it. I always click on the X when that happens.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Just so everyone knows, the virus message olivia23 is talking about was on a different link -- not my web site. Olivia, I have sent your post to my web-guy husband to see what he says about it.

I can't imagine what type of person it takes to intentionally create and distribute a program that is designed to do harm. Keep your virus protection software up to date, everyone. Sometimes, it's not a nice world out here on the 'Net.

To answer the original question of this thread ... it's not necessarily too late to take cuttings. I have really good luck with winter cuttings of ramblers, some hybrid teas, and some teas and chinas. The noisettes? hit and miss, at best. The only way to know is to go out and give it a try.

A cutting, no matter what time of year, should be a lateral stem off a main cane. You know the stem is the right age for cutting (not too old or too tender) if there's a spent flower on the end. The fall bloom here has produced a lot of stems like this. I have been cutting these and potting them up for a few weeks now.

I put my How-to photo essay on my site to help people realize that rooting roses is definitely not rocket science. In fact, the hardest part of the process (for me) is the 'leave it alone and wait' part. If any of you have any suggestions that would improve my rooting directions, or questions about anything there, just let me know.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Roses

• donna.frost.ky.girl
    9 years ago

I just checked on my English roses that i tried to root i only had success with one....but since its winter its inside,not sure what wrong but though well rooted its formed two brown / black spots along the stem which has been leafless since it rooted any advice?????

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If the cane is turning black I'm sorry to say that it sounds like it's dying. It may have been too wet and rotted or any number of other things could have gone wrong. Cuttings are never a sure thing.