Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to grow

Posted by woody64 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 17:49

I have a few cuttings that I started from cutoff stems from my girlfriend"s roses that I bought her.I have one thats growing and has a rose thats just about in bloom.The other one has the "heel" crusted over and leaves on it but no roots.I bought it in from the greenhouse and was wondering if it would grow better in warmer climate since its getting cold outside.Has anyone had any success with something like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to grow

No,Never,but hope good luck with you and your rose.

o

No,Never,but hope good luck with you and your rose.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 20:16

If it were me I'd put it back out in the greenhouse. I have terrible luck trying to grow any roses inside. Houses are just not humid or bright enough for roses, even on a window ledge. Will it get below freezing in the greenhouse? If not then keep it outside. Roses don't really mind some cold as long as they have enough light and humidity. I winter my tiny rose seedlings outside in a small greenhouse and they do just fine for me.

o

thanks for the advice seil but my greenhouse is starting to get below freezing right now and will drop to about minus 20 in the heart of the winter.I live in newfoundland.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 15:49

Eek! That's cold! OK, so if you're going to keep them inside then be sure to put them on a tray of pebbles with water in it, but not touching the bottoms of the pots, to keep the humidity up around the roses. You don't want the water touching the pots or they won't be able to drain properly when you water them. And if you have a grow light use it. You can also mist them daily to keep the humidity higher. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here