Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chlorosis on new rugosas

Posted by leo_prairie_view 2B Manitoba (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 18:33

I tried starting a few cuttings last summer and am pleased how well it went, but now one of the Rugosa's which is growing vigorously is showing signs of iron deficiency. I expect it outside with my prairie gumbo but these are in bought potting soil. Any suggestions on how to amend the soil to correct or prevent it? I have several other rugosa cuttings which were given me and I don't want to loose them
Leo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chlorosis on new rugosas

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 6:10

Are the cuttings over a year old then? Or is this their first winter on their own? Are they in- or outside? Are they just dropping their leaves preparing for winter?

I'm sorry. All I have are questions,

Steve.

o

Steve, This is their first year. I took the cuttings in July. They are inside, under lights so still have their leaves.
Thanks
Leo

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 6:38

My suggestion is in the 'might try' category. In my experience, once a cutting's leaves begin to go chloroic (sp?), the plant is down for the count. However, you might try some iron chelate, which can be bought at any nursery, diluted to perhaps quarter strength.
I hope others can offer a more definitive solution.
Steve.

o

I don't have a lot of experience with rugosas. Like you, if I put them outside in the regular soil, they aren't overly happy. However, a lot of my hardy once bloomers - the ones that truly need dormancy to do at all well - don't like spending the winter inside under lights. Those I've taken to putting in the garage, even though my record with small pots isn't the greatest there.

So they may have gotten a hint of what is going on outside, and are trying to go dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here