Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have: Blue Girl climbing hybrid tea

Posted by redwolfdoc 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 18:50

Hello!

I bought this rose three years ago thinking it was something else (and before I knew anything about roses). I'm in zone 5b, 6 if I stretch it, and it just isn't enough for this poor plant. It hasn't died but it hasn't done much else in the three seasons I've had it. It's rated to zone 7, you see!

In any case, if border laws allow (I'm in Ontario, Canada), I'd be happy to trade it as a bare-root (or cutting, if that's preferable). I'm guessing the best time to do that will be early April? I'm open to whatever offers for trade, as long as it's hardy to 5b, and I'd especially like a climber.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have: Blue Girl climbing hybrid tea

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 17:58

Redwolf, 3 years isn't long enough to make a judgment on this rose yet. Climbers take at LEAST that long to establish a root ball to start them climbing. Some can take even longer before they feel their root ball is sufficient to support any real long cane growth. When it feels it can send water and nutrients up those long canes it will start to grow them and not before.

Another thing is support. Sometimes a climber will not begin to climb until it has a trellis or something behind it to lean on. If it doesn't have anything behind it yet put something there, even if it's only temporary, and tie a cane to it and see if that triggers it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here