Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood cuttings, when to...

Posted by gerry_wyomingpa z6 NEPA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 21:53

Take them? We have already had a few nights below freezing, is it ok to take them now, or would it be better to wait for a few more nights?

TIA

Gerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood cuttings, when to...

This forum has gone deader than a doornail. Maybe it will be better come spring; it's one of the most interesting ones to me here. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, I think it depends on what you are intending to propagate, have been thinking about trying it myself but have enough going. The kind of hardwood cuttings I should be taking would be for firewood :-). Here is a book you might be able to get at your local library, I'm not recommendng that you purchase it, there should be other similar books out there. Also you could google "hardwood cuttings" "best time of year". I did that and got an excellent site in Australia where their plants are entirely different. Also their seasons are reversed from ours. Put "hardwood cuttings" (use the quotes) in the search window here and you will get more topics than you will be able to sort through.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation

o

Gerry, it might still be too early, the plants need to be dormant according to a few articles I've scanned this morning. One from Mississippi State U linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Plants For The Home Landscape

o

Aliska, Thank you for the link, I will have to look into that.

Diane, I have read similiar articles, just never sure when they are truely dormant. Some referances mention after frost, others after freezes. I do not want to push and do it to early, but I also don't want to be out there in freezing temps :-( I think I am just going to prepare the pots now and then when it is cold I will take the cuttings and just hope for the best.

Gerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here