Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_new_orleans

Why aren't my cuttings rooting?

I have some theories. But I am looking for imput. I have generally used the zip-loc bag method for rooting, indoors, in window sills with indirect sun. Before this year I had about a 60-75% success rate. This year I have had 0 successes since early spring. Used to be that my best results were in November and May.

The only factors I can identify that have changed are that I bought different rooting powder this summer, I started using coconut coir on the advice of this forum, and I have changed my disease prevention chemicals from Banner Max and Dithane sprays to Bayer Advanced tebuconozole soil drenches. The rooting powder should be OK. I actually failed to get roots a few months before I changed powder.

I wonder if the Bayer product that has been an absolute miracle this year, preventing 100% of blackspot in my garden, is perhaps the cause of failure of cuttings to root for me. Does anyone have any info on this question?

Comments (6)

• elks
    17 years ago

Mike,
    I can't be sure, but I have never heard anyone use disease prevention stuff for rooting cuttings, except for a little hydrogen peroxide for the same purpose.
    Steve.

• rosyone
    17 years ago

Mike, I've been using tebuconazole in the form of Bayer Advanced Disease Control spray this season and haven't had any difficulty rooting cuttings from treated plants.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    17 years ago

what's the best place to buy this in a gallon? I see it on nextag for $99 pretty steep considering you need to use 3oz per foot of each bush. Avergage 4-5 foot rose bush = 12-15 ounces of Bayer which means it will only treat 9-10 bushes. The place I work for has approx 60-70 bushes. 25 of them in a raised bed the rest in containers or against trellices.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Elks, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest I use Bayer while trying to root cuttings; only that since I'm using it on bushes and it's a systemic, its going to be in the stem tissues already when I take cuttings. I'm trying to figure out why my rooting success rate has tanked recently; thought that might be a factor.
    Rosyone, that's good to hear you're not having that problem with it. I really don't want to have to stop using the Bayer product because it's been so great for disease-prevention/treatment. But I'm scratching my head about the lack of rooting success. I haven't had this problem before this year. I use the zip-loc bag method, root indoors in north-facing windows because of the extreme heat outside during much of the year. I'm using coconut coir for medium just since this summer, but folks on this forum have raved about how great the stuff is, so I don't think that's the problem.

As for where to get the Bayer Disease Control, Lowe's sells it, though they often don't seem to shelve it with the Bayer All-in-One. In stores I've found it in, it was put in a different area. So you might have to ask. I think it is about $15 per 33oz bottle. But don't use so much. It goes farther than the All-in-One product, which is the same active ingredient with added fertilizer and insecticide. I use only 3 tablespoons of the stuff per gallon of water, and no more than a quart of mixed solution per average-sized hybrid tea bush. Much less for small potted minis. With about 40 roses to treat, it lasts about 3-4 application cycles for me.
    BTW, the directions on the Disease Control bottle tell you to mix it and spray every 2 weeks. But it's easier and lasts longer used as a soil drench, which only needs to be done every 5 or 6 weeks. Its the same exact stuff as the All-in-One, minus those fertilizer/insecticide components, yet the All-in-One directions are for soil drench, while the Disease Control says to spray. Go figure.

• elks
    17 years ago

Can you describe how the cuttings began to fail? Did the stems go black? Did fuzzy mildew appear? Were there any symptoms at all?
    Steve.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Mike,
    I believe it is because you have no taste in the roses you are trying to root (okay, old joke, but still funny to me).

Let me explain what I do in the winter to root cuttings;

Get yourself a dishwashing pan. Place a cutting board (I think 9X11) on the bottom of the pan. I drill holes in the cutting board, but that is just me. Fill the bottom of the pan with water. Place cuttings in the pan and cover with 2 mil clear plastic. I use elastic from a fabric store to keep plastic in place, and tight. Place unfer cheap florescent lighting for 17 hours a day. I use cocnut coir as my rooting medium. Browse around on this sight and you will see pix from George Mander on this. It really is pretty easy.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH