Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenarufus

rose cutting in plastic bag

lenarufus
9 years ago

I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached - and found instructions on the web for taking cuttings in summer, by putting in moist compost & perlite in a zip lock bag. (http://www.heritage.rose.org.au/warm-weather-rose-propagation.html) I hope this works as the rose belonged to a relative who has died. Should I keep the bag inside? Has anyone tried this method?

Comments (8)

• msdorkgirl
    9 years ago

There's a lot of info on this forum, so you should browse around.

But for me, I've used the grocery vegetable bag with potting mix and bottle on top method (bottle method), cutting has to be at least 6 inches if not more, stem at pencil size or 1/4" at least thick, rooting hormone. And then I need lots and lots of luck, cus my success rate is about 5% out of all the ones I've done these past two years.

Other successful people have used other materials (sand/starter potting mix, perlite, etc).

Good luck! And if it starts turning black, it's a goner.

:)

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well one has survived .. I put them in the plastic bag in a corner of the garden and have now planted the one with roots in the front garden which faces north. There is quite a big shoot coming from the base.

should I fertilise now, or wait till sept-October in spring?

also, how long does it take before flowers appear?

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Congratulations, that looks like it will do good. I don't believe anyone recommends any fertilization until your plant is more established ... and depending on where you're located, you might have to worry about winter. I'm sure everyone else will have some good suggestions for you!

Generally hybrid teas are 6-8 weeks regarding bloom cycle, so probably 8 weeks for you, except you might want to disbud to encourage root development.

Good luck.

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It would be great to get some flowers this summer (I'm in Sydney so winter nearly over). I don't think I'd have the self discipline to disbud! Margaret, whose rose it was, died last November. It would be amazing if it bloomed for her anniversary

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

That looks great. Good job. I would give it root stimulator (starter fertilizer) if you can get it. Miracle Grow makes a good one. It encourages root growth. Sometimes it will say "reduces transplant shock" and that's the one you want. That will get it up and running quickly and won't harm it if you follow the directions. If not give it a very diluted fertilizer about 1/4 the usual dosage. As long as it's getting sun and the temps are warming up, fertilizer will do it good. Just be sure it's not full strength.

• lenarufus
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks .. I don't think that brand is available in Australia but in any case, I have worm pee and castings, and Seasol which is a good seaweed root stimulator as well as Dynamic lifter (based on chook poo) and blood and bone, and cow manure and ordinary fertiliser!! Will just use the first two for now, it is growing incredibly fast without anything, I can't wait for it to flower.