Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose seed question

Posted by canadian_rose zone 3a (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 1:01

I'm wondering if I ruined my rose seeds. This is my first time trying to germinate seeds. I used my friend's rose hips (rugosa/rugosa hybrids - self-seeded) and put them in dampened peat moss and potting soil and put them in the fridge. I first let them sit for a bit in some water with a bit of H2O2.

What I didn't do was scrub the seeds. I didn't see any coating or pulp on the seeds; so I just put them in the baggie.

Should I have scrubbed them?? How much should I have scrubbed them - since I couldn't see anything on them.

Do you think they'll germinate without the scrubbing?

Thanks so much!!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose seed question

Carol,
As long as you removed the seeds from the hips, that is all that matters. Rugosa seeds are pretty much foolproof, so just keep them refrigerated for a minimum of twelve weeks before sowing, and allow them to germinate in a cool place. IE: avoid temps over 75F until after they have germinated. Too warm an environment can stop the germination process and reset the clock in the seeds to stay dormant till the next cooling cycle.

o

I've got some in the fridge and some in the garage on a shelf covered with blankets. Experiment to see if the garage will work for when I hybridize my HTs.

How about when I hybridize my HTs - should I scrub at them? I don't really see anything on the seeds - so I'm confused.

Thanks!
Carol

o

Carol,
Not sure where you got the idea that rose seeds need to be "scrubbed" before placing in cold dormancy -- as long as you remove any lingering hip material, thats all you need to do. When I harvest my seeds, 98% of them come out of the hips without any noticeable hip flesh hanging on, and so they go straight into ziploc bags without much fuss. If you don't remove seeds before the hips turn mushy, then you do need to clean them a bit more. In those cases, I just put the seed into a stainless wire strainer and run them under water and run the seeds around the strainer by grinding them into the mesh a bit with my knuckles as they rinse.

HT seed doesn't need any different treatment as far as that goes, but HT and Floribunda seed in general is more sensitive to cold than many other types (compared to the Gallicanae), so do not let them freeze ever.

o

Oh that was VERY helpful!! Thank you sooooo much!
I really appreciate your help.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here