Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

A burrito question

User
10 years ago

Hi - I have a possibly dumb question about burrito method cuttings. I took a bunch 2 weeks ago, and some have formed nice callouses, but no roots. Would it be best to pot these up now, or should I leave them in their wrappings for another week in the hopes that they'll form roots before potting them up? I have read all the threads I could find on this method, but am unsure on this point.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Hopefully Kim will add, but just so you get a quick answer, I would try and pot and see what happens. My attempt at burrito got me good callouses but no actual white roots, however most still took once planted.

What I understood from his demo on the 21st was that if nothing happened in 2 weeks, that more time was not going to make a difference because the cane would have used up its stored energy by the two weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roseseek on Burrito

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Kippy, this was just the kind of information I was hoping for! Its really useful to know that the 2 week period is the amount of time during which the cane has enough stored energy. I guess that suggests that the ones that have not calloused probably won't; but since with them I really have nothing to lose, I guess I'll just leave them for a while longer, just in case.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kippy. Hi Frances! I just removed a wrap after two weeks which hadn't callused, either. I planted all ten of the cuttings anyway as some MAY root. I had no control over their condition as they were sent to me by a friend out of state. I'd had a few callus in late October into November I used for a demo, then the next batch didn't. I'm waiting until next month (late January) before I take any more to wrap as that has been when they've been most productive here. Kim

• rosynut
    10 years ago

I've tried the Burrito method twice and both times the cutting became black and slimy in spite of getting all the excess moiture out of the newspaper.. I think I must stick to the baggie method of rooting roses.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Trying to be patient until the end of the month is hard. I am excited to try it this year.

I am going to leave the roses I want to try and root unpruned and prune all the rest this month. Does that sound right to all of you?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That should be OK, Kitty (hopefully!). I had callusing success back in November for a demo I did. The next month, they didn't work either for the demo that month, nor for the cuttings I received from a friend. I wrapped many from my own garden this week and plan on doing more from a friend's garden in the next week or so. Each year (and rose) is different, so it just takes experimentation. If you want to wrap some now to test the success, you might find you CAN do it now (or not). I wouldn't put all of them in right now in case something isn't right, but if this batch calluses in the two week period, it should be safe to do the rest once you've seen they're working. Good luck! Kim

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow! I tried this method and it works. All of my cuttings callused and after potted, they started to leaf out. This is amazing! I am so excited. Thank you so much!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I'm glad you found the right combination of variables for your conditions! Easy and fun, isn't it? Kim

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'd feared it had been too warm with our lack of any real "winter" for the wraps to callus, but they've produced like troupers. Then, I worried with low humidity, brilliant sun, no rain and days in the seventies to mid eighties, the planted cuttings would fail. Nope! Several have roots at the soil ball bottoms after two weeks planted. The only batch which hasn't callused as hoped has been Pink Clouds (wrapped for root stock), but all the others are producing better than expected, including VI Fortuniana. There are three new blog posts with photos and explanations at the link below. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Burrito Method results to date

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio