Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowsbymaude

Snapping stems :(

BowsByMaude
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been working with rose cuttings for a while now and have many growing in pots on my window sills. They are all hybrid tea florist roses that I took from bouquet flowers. The problem is that some of the stems are snapping off because of their weight. I have a problem with spider mites, so for a while I have been taking them to the sink and spraying them with cold water. This morning, a large stem snapped off (sadly it has a bud on it too).

Should I be trimming these shorter so that they don't get too heavy for the plant to support. I have resisted doing this because I thought that the more leaves they have, the more energy will be produced for the plant. Should I be supporting them on mini trellises in the pots? When will the stems (including the main one) thicken up and become stronger??

Sorry for this rambling list of questions but it broke my heart when that stem broke off and right now it's in a glass of water so that maybe the bud will open up..

Thank you, Maude

www.bowsbymaude.com

Comments (2)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Hi Maude, congratulations on your successes! Personally, I wouldn't let them flower until they were of sufficient size with sufficient roots under them, either in the ground or larger pots. Spending the energy creating and opening flowers takes it away from growth and root development. You might stake the longer canes to support them so you benefit from the greater foliage. Any green part is going to create food, so the more foliage, usually, the more development possible.

If the plant is only pushing the one cane, you might consider pinching it back to encourage branching into a denser, fuller plant. You could take the pieces you remove and try propagating them for new plants. They may be too soft, but you'll quickly learn that as you go. If they are, no harm, no foul. You've discovered something new, advancing your technique and knowledge. If they do, so much the better! It can be possible that some of the florist varieties may not develop into attractive garden plants as that isn't a trait for which they've been selected. If you can create several of the same variety, it would allow you to plant them together to produce a fuller, better branched effect as has been suggested by various breeders such as Austin for his weaker, more straggly varieties.

Another idea is to stake the canes and see if they're limber enough to wrap around them, as you might for a climber. You may be able to encourage more lateral branching, again as you would in training a climber. Each of these laterals would then give you another opportunity for increased flowering. I'd also keep those buds pinched off to encourage wood production. If you play your cards right, you could enter spring with a bunch of nicely developed plants to grace the garden or even trade with others to fill out the thin spots. But I wouldn't let them flower yet. Pushing growth of roots and canes would be my focus until they're out in the garden. Good luck! Kim

• BowsByMaude
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I never really thought about how allowing them to flower might sap away their strength. Training them on some type of a trellis might be something to consider if they don't get much stronger than they are now. Thank you for always giving such helpful answers:)

Maude
    www.bowsbymaude.com

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH