Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leebeesgarden

Best way to start from cuttings

LeeBeesGarden
9 years ago

I used to be really good at starting roses, and it has been over 9 years and I need some good tips! Will be getting a bunch of clippings from our uncle when he cuts back his awesome rose collection, and I want to make sure we have success in getting these cuttings started. I live in Redlands, and have plenty of space and also great access to composted horse and cow manure (i.e. I live on a huge ranch). HELP!!

Comments (8)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

If you want to see a good rose video that includes how to start a cutting go to www.rose.org

Go to gallery/ videos/ U Tube Videos/ decatur roses.

I have been doing this the same way every year. I get 95%take I use gallon plastic jugs with removable tops. The cuttings are put straight into the ground. That way they can grow a year and I can dig them and move them. This was done in June. The photo is Fall

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    9 years ago

Dan, I watched your video and so enjoyed the interview. I wonder, is it possible to root cuttings this way using pots? We've only been in this house a short while and the beds will need an immense amount of work before they will be good for roses. I have one small bed ready but most of my roses will be in pots for another year before I can start planting in the ground.

I am starting over with roses and am gleaning all the information I can from this forum. In my last house all the rose beds were established when I moved in and I only had to maintain them. I caught the rose bug but I feel like I'm learning from scratch. Different climate and different roses.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Beth, depending upon your climate, conditions, time of year and type of roses, yes, you can root them in pots. Though using her method won't work in my climate, a friend not quite twenty miles north of me, in the next valley, I tease for being a "green witch". She simply takes her prunings and either stuffs them back into the pot the mother plant grows in, or puts them in pots of potting soil and most of them root. She doesn't use any hormones nor does she seek particular sizes or types of cuttings. Whatever gets cut or broken off the mother plant, she shoves in the dirt and the blamed things grow. If all conditions are right, roses will root seemingly without you. But, that all depends upon humidity, temperature, condition of the rose, type of rose, etc. You really do need to experiment with several methods to determine which one is going to work best when, where and with what type of rose you want to do it. Some roses will root right down the line, while others wouldn't root to save your life. Some simply aren't genetically capable of rooting. Others can root, but they won't make good plants own root. Still others will perform decently in conditions and climates to their liking, but not in many others. Some climates simply aren't suitable for many types to do well own root, either. There have been many here on these forums who have tried numerous times to grow HTs and floribundas own root, but the duration of their growing seasons, combined with the depth and intensity of their winters have shown them the need for budded plants which benefit from the more vigorous roots of a suitable stock for their climates. You are best off gleaning all you can, from everywhere you can then attempting as many methods as you want to see what works best for you, where you are and with the roses you want to propagate. Good luck! Kim

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Hi Beth!

It can be done, but a pot holds too much water. You would have to use a liter pop bottle and cut the bottom off. Then place the bottle over you cuttings. Use a rooting powder. Just get a moisture meter to check the water conditions. Amazon has them and so does Home Depot

Everybody should have one!!!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Roseseek,

I agree with you. I cannot root OGR at all. Some Hybrid Teas to great on their own roots and some just sit there. All Minis and Minifloras will root easy. They are on their own roots anyway

Once a plant is on it's own roots it will stand up to a winter. I just put mulch around it

!/4 of my plants are cuttings. I've been doing cuttings for over 30 years! Always a 95% take!

I have heard of wrapping cuttings in wet newspaper and placing them on a shelf for 6 weeks. When you uncover them the roots have started!

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    9 years ago

I have several pink poodle cuttings hiding in damp newspaper in the dark that blugirl sent me. I am hopeful when I take them out that I will have a few with roots starting. My minis and minifloras are all too small for me to take cuttings from them just yet but when they are bigger I will try several avenues to find what works best for me to expand my rose population. I continue to be grateful for everyone posting and sharing their knowledge. Thanks

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Yes Dan. Take a look at my blog at the link below. "The Burrito Method" is wrapping. It came through friends in the Rose Hybridizers Association, through Paul Barden, from an Australian commercial rose producer who does it to precallous his Fortuniana stocks prior to budding. This has worked with ALMOST every one I've tried, including lilac cuttings. If you start at the link and read forward, you will glean all the latest discoveries. It's the first method I've found which works like clockwork in this climate. The Burrito Method Kim