Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjames_gw

Need advice on winter project

pjames
17 years ago

Over the past few years, I have been successful in a few mass production rooting projects, but using some very easy-to-root plants. One was gardenia, and now I have them scattered around my landscape as well as giving away many for gifts to friends. This past summer I rooted 30 or so Confederate Jasmine which are still in pots. I am going to make a living wall along wire strung on t-posts instead of a regular privacy fence this next spring. These were warm weather projects where I used empty kitty litter buckets as my incubators. I'd dip a cutting into rooting hormone, stick it into some potting mix I make (basically homemeade compost) and set plastic cups into the litte buckets. Each cup had several holes in the bottom. I'd add a litte water to the bucket cover it with a clear or white plastic garbage bag and set it on my patio... Basically a simple no-brainer. Luck and easy-to-root specimens made me successful.

Now I want to try a rose. I'd bought one of those little potted gift miniature roses you find for Valentine's day a few years ago and later planted it into my flower bed. For one reason or the other, this little rose has been a survivor and I'd like to have more.

I have a few old aquariums in the garage and was thinking of establishing a few mini-greenhouse, rooting chambers inside over the winter.

From what I've gleaned, I want to make the temperature in the chamber over 70 degrees. I want it humid but the potting soil should not be wet, so should have the cutting/cups above the water.

My questions are: 1. should I use my compost potting soil as is or sterilize it by baking it or something? Maybe use another media.

2. Are cuttings i take now going to be viable? We have had some recent cold snaps and I wonder if the rose is going dormant.

3. Any other suggestions?

thanks, Pat

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting