Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionessrose

I did it! I am a new seedling Mommy :o)

lionessrose
18 years ago

Hello all. What a great forum. It has been a big help. The propagation experience has been a long and hard one. I am new to this, began my first propagation this summer with cuts. I have lost all but 2 of 20 softwood rose cuts. Each of the 20 had roots, grew new life and then died. Not sure what I did or didn't do right or wrong, I think they suffered the "dampening off" problem. They turned brown from the bottom of the stem first and then continued turning brown up the stem and died. I have now moved on to propagating from seed. I gathered my hips in September (of this year), I do not know what the mother plant(s) are, so all my babies will be unknown... I spent a day seeking out rose bushes around town with hips, asked the owner(s) of the bush if I could take the hips, gained permission and came home with a small bucket full of hips from several different locations. I now have 21 seedlings of 26, I have lost 5 of the 26. I had 9 new germinated seeds just planted yesterday and today. I went with the: clean seeds in peroxide solution, damp paper,plastic lidded container, place in bottom of refrigerator method... with a total of 35 germinated seeds in 12 weeks, with 50 or so more that have not yet germinated. For seedling watering I have been using the water/peroxide solution. Not sure if it is a good thing or not. Each seed has his/her own planter. Due to the cold weather I am using heating pads and I do use a grow light. My greenhouse, so to speak, is in my dining room in front of a window. I am not much of a photographer but gave it a try:Seedlings December 28th, 2005
{{gwi:1235677}}{{gwi:1245200}}
{{gwi:1245202}}
I can only hope I am a better seedling Mommy than a photographer :o) Thank you again for a great forum and letting me share. The Lioness

Comments (9)

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Wooohooo! Looks like your doing great. Isn't it a thrill when you get to see these results? Hope they all take off and do wonderful for you.
    julie

• jont1
    18 years ago

They look great!! Let's hope they continue to thrive and you get some real nice new roses from them. I have some planted as well and they should be germinating at any time!!
    Fingers crossed!!
    John

• gardenfanatic2003
    18 years ago

How do you harvest seeds from the hips?

Deanna

• BeeVee
    18 years ago

Congrats mommy!

Keep us posted on your new babies..

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

To remove seeds from hips see:
    http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/cleanseeds.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Great job, keep us posted as they grow and of the blooms soon to come!

Gerry

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all. Thank you for the feedback. What a crappy morning it has been, I went to my little seedlings and oh my gosh, finally I had a beautiful new peach bloom, my first bloom, it was perfect... I was dancing around joyful with excitement and then... I found myself jumping out of bed in such a hurry I stubbed my toe, ran limping down the hall to the "green house" only to find my tiny little seedlings, with no bloom :o) It was all a dream! GRRRRRR! Back to reality... Over the past 8 days I have had a few changes. I lost 3 more seedlings. First, one of their leaves start to turn brown and then over time all of the leaves turn brown and wilt, leaving only the stem that soon dies too. I have another 4 seedlings showing signs of browning and wilt. Here is a photo, arrows pointing to brown wilting leaves:
    {{gwi:1245203}}
    Anyfeedback to what I might be doing wrong?? Or are the seedlings just not healthy and there is nothing that can be done to fix the problem?? I have tried not to over water or under water. I water each day, throughout the day with a spray bottle containing water and peroxide. The grow light is approx. 3 inches above the seedlings, I have kept the heating pad on low so not to over heat them. Not sure what to do for them. Today I decided to cut off the brown and or browning leaves and give them a little extra water to see if it helps. Now, a little good news, 7 of the 9 germinated seeds from last week are seedlings and I had another 7 seeds germinate over that past 3 days. For the question asked about harvesting the hips: The same day I brought the hips home, I cut each one open, removed the seeds and placed them in a measuring cup of approx. 3/4 cup water mixed with 1/4 cup peroxide. I had forgot the instructions on soaking them overnight, so the only soaking they received was the time it took me to cut open each hip, remove the seeds and place them in the water/peroxide solution, thus total soaking time for the first seeds removed from hips was around 2 hours or so, the last seeds removed from hips, maybe 15 minutes or so. I then drained the seeds via stainless steel strainer, placed the seeds on a paper towel soaked in the water/peroxide solution, placed them in a platic bowl with airtight lid and set them in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator, pretended they did not exist for about 10 weeks and then started checking them for germination about every 2-3 days. Around week 11, every 3rd day or so I would give the seeds a very light spray with the water/peroxide solution to prevent and or cut down on mold and keep them moist. (As for the hips, I didn't wait for color changes, I cut open each hip... red, orange, yellow and the green ones all the same day. As for the seeds, I kept them all, floaters and sinkers.) So, for today, with each throb I am still feeling in my toe, I am reminded my dream just might soon be a reality :o) Never stop dreaming. The Lioness

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

I recommend watering with a 5 ml 3 % H2O2 / 95 ml water mixture - not spraying with it.

-------------------------------------

Another thought - the browning could be due to too high a fertilizer level in your potting soil.

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

I got a new seedling baby today too. I am 17 old and this is my first time to try this. I am so happy. Hopefully this one lives does anybody have any advise for me.

Thanks,

Melissa

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals