Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonia_grower

my rose has got spiders

sonia_grower
16 years ago

i have a miniature rose bush i moved it inside the house back in october when the weather started getting colder. and it has been doing fine but in the last month or so, i have noticed extremely small spiders on it and they have spun webs around my plant. What can i do to get rid of these? any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

sonia

Comments (14)

• object16
    16 years ago

You need to hammer them. Go to a place that still has insecticidal soap in stock, make up a solution, turn you plant upside down, and soak the whole plant in the solution. Stir it up a bit to make sure it gets into very good contact with the mites. Then get some pyrethrin extract, make up a solution, put it in a hand sprayer, and spray down the plant thoroughly,
    make sure to soak ALL of the undersides. The next day, give the plant another soaking in insecticidal soap. If you are lucky, then you might have got them. Repeat the soaking at weekly intervals, for a month. Observe the plant very carefully with a magnifying glass for any recurrence. I had to strip off all of the leaves of a nicely rooted cutting, and I cut the stem back to 2 basal buds. The buds sprouted, and now I have a nice healthy rose bush. I also lost about 60 or more rooted cuttings to the mites, 2 of them were a friend's of mine. Paul Mozarowski

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

They are probably Spider Mites rather than spiders. They are a bane of indoor roses.

Spider Mites are not insects, they are mites. You need to use a miticide rather than an insecticide. Miticides are quite toxic, so you'll need to follow package directions very carefully.

I believe Avid is the miticide most recommended for Spider Mite control.

This link discusses the life cycle of the Spider Mite. Although it is a Dahlia page, it has good information about the pest in general.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Mite information

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention, true spiders are carnivores and eat only insects, bugs, and other spiders. True spiders do not eat or damage plants.

• object16
    16 years ago

A very large group of arachnid organisms, that I read about in
    Wikipedia. They seemed to have proliferated with the advent of insecticides like DDT. Insecticides seemed to have stimulated their growth, because at one time they were not really a problem. It looks like they need to be sprayed with soap, oil, and miticides on a rotating basis. I just discovered a bunch of them on a new rose cutting. I removed the leaves and threw them in the garbage, and sprayed down the rest of my plant with soap. Paul Mozarowski.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arachnid entry in wikipedia.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

This is one of the big problems when trying to grow a rose indoors. Preferably, you could have moved it into an unheated garage to allow it to go dormant for the winter (there are a few threads over on the main Roses Forum that have info on how and when to do this). There are also articles on the Miniature Roses forum that talk about how to keep roses indoors.

One additional thing you can so it depending on the size of the pot, submerge the entire thing in a bucket or sink full of water, and let it sit for 30 minutes. remove the pot and allow it to drain well. If the pot if too big, you can try spraying the entire plant with plain water over three days, then seeing what happens. I'm afraid, though, that you will be battling these as long as the plant is indoors.

• object16
    16 years ago

I do believe I have eradicated my mites, by doing what I said above. Do not be afraid to immerse the entire plant in insecticidal soapy water, and to strip off all of the leaves.
    When new leaves sprout, periodically spray the plant with soap. Chemical insecticides just stimulate them to proliferate more. pm.

• object16
    16 years ago

I noticed a mature basal leaf with little white dots. I turned it over and looked at it with a lens - YIKES!!! those little mites look real nasty under a lens, plus they run around like crazy!!! I sprayed them down with soap, and threw out the leaf. I just finished repotting 72 rooted rose cuttings. I threw away all of the old basal leaves, and now that they're all separated, I'll keep a real close eye on them. Paul Mozarowski.

• object16
    16 years ago

Just placed an online order for a gallon of neem oil and 8oz of avid. the avid costs $108, the neem oil $54. Plus I ordered a sprayer and some other supplies while I was at it.
    I have already had one batch of 120 rooted cuttings wiped out, I don't want all my work on my current batch of 72 wiped out as well. In the meantime I keep a close watch, and keep my spray bottle of insecticide soap handy. Any leaf that I find is infected I strip off, and then spray down the rest of the plant, especially under the leaves. Paul Mozarowski.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green house megastore

• object16
    16 years ago

It looks like they're out of stock on the avid, but the neem oil should be coming in shortly. The oil tends to smother them, and my cuttings are all fairly small, 9-10 inches, so it should be fairly straightforward to hose them down with oil, and put a stop to the problem. pm.

• object16
    16 years ago

My gallon of oil just came in. Needs to be warmed up a bit to go liquid, mix with water or water+rubbing alcohol, + some soap to keep emulsified, strip off lower leaves, spray down entire plant, really douse the underneath, and repeat a weekly intervals. This will get rid of them. pm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil thread.

• george_mander
    16 years ago

If a plant is inside, you do not want to spray any chemical, unless you leave it outside for a couple of hrs to dry up.

Give the under side of the foliage a real good blast with water once a day for 6 days in a row.
    I always disconnect the nozzle & hose from my sprayer and connect it with an adapter to city water pressure. You will just blast them away for sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

Thanks goodness George chimed in here! You cannot these use chemicals indoors unless you want to grow a third eye in the middle of your forehead!

I have about 150 roses in my heated basement under growlights with no sign of spider mites. Mine are automatically misted for 2 minutes once an hour. You could do the same by just hand misting your plant every day.

• object16
    16 years ago

I have sprayed a few roses with rubbing alcohol mixed with oil and soap: most of the foliage and buds got killed with this mixture, but I think the bugs died as well. I am waiting to see if the plant will regenerate from the buds. From now on, I only spray the underneath of the bottom leaves with this mix, and spray the top with something milder, such as just soap or Pyrethrin. Paul Mozarowski.

• object16
    16 years ago

I've been pussy footing around, and I have a huge outbreak of aphids. I prepared 1 1/2 quarts of mix of water, pure Neem oil, insecticide soap. I stripped off the lower leaves, and drenched the whole top and bottom with the mix. Now, a day
    later, my roses look nice, and I think I've gotten rid of the
    buggers. The oil should clear up any mites as well, because it smothers the eggs and any larva. Paul Mozarowski

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus