Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds changed color??

Posted by canadian_rose zone 3a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 19:05

Hi everyone!
This is my first time with hybridizing roses.

Our growing season was way too short this year (with the flooding) and I only got one hip (Rock & Roll) to partially ripen. The seeds are in baggies now.

So, my friend gave me a ton of her hybrid rugosa seeds. I washed them with water and a bit of H2O2. Then I put them in dampened (not sopping wet - but holding water in a damp way) peat moss (with H2O2 - just a bit).

So today I went out to water my roses (potted) and found three hips that were still viable. I'm very excited!!
I got
Abraham Darby - 2 seeds
Enchanted Evening - - 15
Frederic Mistral - 20

But now comes the questions!!

1. I checked my old seeds from the rugosas (in the fridge) and all of the seeds have changed from that pearly white color to a tanned and more shriveled seed.

- Did they die? Are they okay?

2. So my new seeds are still nice and pearly colored. Should I put them in the fridge? Will they change too?

3. Would the seeds be better in my insulated garage???

Thanks!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds changed color??

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 19:16

I refrigerate all my seeds. Yes, sometimes they change color but it hasn't seemed to stop them from germinating. I would let them go a little longer and see what happens. You really have nothing to lose by keeping them. You don't say how long you've had them in the fridge but mine can take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks to germinate. I've also had some that didn't germinate until their second year. Don't give up hope yet.

o

All of mine have changed to an orange or tan color (depending on the seed parent) while being cold stratified. I think it is normal.

o

Okay! :)
Thanks you two!

I'll put the new roses in the fridge too. :)
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here