Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brmeadows_gw

Rose Cuttings - Plans/Exchanges

BRMeadows
10 years ago

Anyone want to make some rose cutting exchange plans now or is it too soon to be thinking about it ?

Comments (92)

• casey1gw
    9 years ago

I just cut my 'Cinco de Mayo' and David Austin's 'Celebration'. LMK if anyone's interested.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

I need cuttings of Souviner de la Malmasion , Rose de Resct, Madame Marie Curie, and Madame Laurette Messimy, I lost these over this weird winter. If anyone has these I would love to trade. I have a good many roses some listed some not. Some are not old enough to take cuttings from and some are. If anyone is interested please send me a email, Thanks!

• melis001
    9 years ago

Would love any Austin or English rose cuttings. Would be willing to pay for cuttings and shipping. I had golden celebration, and sophy's rose and lost them both.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

melis001 your email address is not showing on your user page. There is a setting that has to be changed, in the meantime send me private email for a trade.

• plantsforever
    9 years ago

Could anyone trade a few cuttings of New Dawn or any of the ogr that have a nice fragrance? Most of my roses died during the extreme winter cold. Please check my trade list and see if anything interests you or would be more than happy to do postage. I can't find any of these here.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plantsforever i have some large roots from New Dawn that will likely successfully produce a plant. The roots are several inches in diameter, could be cut to 8-12 inch sections. I may even have a volunteer or two.

Happy Mother's Day to you

Bobby Meadows

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Bobby
    I just wanted to write and thank you again for the trade. Even though I lost more cuttings than I rooted, I am so happy that one from your Abraham Darby is already blooming. I just had to show you -

I hope you had better luck with rooting . . . I don't know what I did wrong.

~Susie

• gardentiller
    9 years ago

Susie:
    Can you tell me what's the name of the annual flower (it will bear trumpeter like purple flower in the summer) at the left hand side of the picture of your young Abraham Darby?
    I had some long long time ago, I have tried all my resources but I still can not remember its name!
    Appreciated
    Peter

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

susie that great, glad to see it worked out for you.

I think you are doing things right if you are getting the cuttings to strike. You may want to tweak a few things but you are rocking when you have them striking.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hey Peter
    That little plant is a volunteer torenia. Some of mine are trailing

and some are the regular. They pop up everywhere and come in several different colors.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have several New Dawn with suckering roots that likely will produce a successful plant. Some are already potted others are being hydrated. Let me know if anyone is interested in a trade for them or others on my page.

Here is a picture of some of the ones that are producing presently there are others presently and others that are coming on.

• gardentiller
    9 years ago

Susie:
    Ah..that is a Torenia! Thank you so much. I will not forget it this time! I remember when I first sow it was 1962 when we had field practice at the famous Fen-San Horticulture Experiment Station, Taiwan. The Torenias grow wildly everywhere in this station. At where the today very popular seedless watermelon was developed for commercial produce.
    I taught Horticulture Science at an Agriculture School for 12 years after I got Horticulture Degree. In Taiwan (the typical tropical country), I helped my students build raised cutting bed under screen, used only clean river sand for the cutting medium, most commercial nurseries used shredded black tree fern fiber for cutting medium. Used hand showering the cutting bed once or twice daily. We made a wide varieties of cuttings, from herbaceous perennial to softwood or hardwood ornamental (Mum, Carnation, Azaleas, Camellias, Bougainvilleas, Junipers, Some rose species and old garden roses). At that time (1960 th), we grafted a lot kind of fruit trees, we used ground layering or air layering for ornamental or fruit tree. Of course, only used air layering for HT (used white sphagnum moss for the layering medium), so the RMV never been a problem at that time.
    I have talked too far, be wise to stop here. Thank you for your time.
    Peter

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made the picture using a technique I learned using a computer progam called The gimp. The technique turns a photo into a watercolor lookalike.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry
    Posted to wrong.forum

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Bobby and Everyone

I just thought I'd show ya how awesome a baby Portlandia cutting looks! See how there's a brown stem? I almost tossed this one out, thinking it was too dead to put out any roots.

But it rooted and put out a new stem and today it bloomed. Not even 5 months old . . . almost as quickly as my Natchitoches!

How are yours doing?

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great job
    Did it have any yellow toward the middle?

My group has been hanging around outdoors. No where near what you got.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Here's another view.

Hope it answers your question......

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Color looks like the HT Touch of Class, which I have. Keep an eye on for characteristics. Portlandia is a short climber. Either way both are great roses.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Thanks for the correct ID of this baby, Bobby.

It must've snuck in with the other cuttings you sent me - you didn't label any as
    Touch of Class and it was in the Portlandia package.

I hope it likes it here in Florida!

Thanks again for this trade,

Susie

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe that one got misplaced I do try to include a surprise bush. I looked back at my notes and did NOT see it mentioned.
    How many make it so far?

Portlandia is in bloom now, want to do another trade?

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:05

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

I think I messed up with labels again - the pic above
    (5.11.14) that shows Abe Darby doesn't look like this recent bloom from another cutting you sent me. I think this one is the real Abe. What is your expert opinion?

I really don't know of anything else I have you'd like to trade and I really have to stop making new plants - I am at "way-over-capacity" in this tiny yard with few sunny spots! But thank you so much for the offer . . . very hard to resist getting more new cuttings. But I must be strong!

~Susie

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Colorwise its AD it is a small runner for me so far. I have four of them on a split rail along with four Crown Princess Margareta, the two are related. If you have a small yard maybe think vertical.

Attached is photo of AD bloom in different stages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Princess Margareta

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:58

• hcarnevale
    9 years ago

I too am interested in some specific DARs. I would love cuttings of Queen of Sweden, Brother Cadfael, James Galway, Christopher Marlowe, Wise Portia, and Pretty Jessica. I have many (40?) DARs that are ready to bloom that I can exchange unrooted cuttings for. Thanks!

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

rfcfishlady I only have Pretty Jessica from your list but I grow many other DAR's and will soon have more cuttings to exchange if you are interested send me a list of your DAR's that you now grow and I will compile a list for you. Mine are just now coming back after a good trimming from a friend who needed cuttings to root.

• leeann
    9 years ago

In need of a reliable climbing rose for my fur baby Lexi' memorial butterfly garden.. I've looked & there's zero healthy rose selections in my area, 7b.

Needing a good size for the double 4x6' privacy lattice screens just added. The azaleas & knockout roses nearby are pink.
    Sadly, bunnies ate my annual cypress & sweet pea vines I started from seed Months ago :'(.

S.A.S.E., will also gladly trade what I have (partial list on my page)

No worthy roses yet (1 sad-looking red blaze & 2 pink knockouts from previous owner whose cuttings didn't root for me). I also have tomatoes, mint, hostas, a 6' medium potted willow tree plus tons of seeds from commercial seed swap to offer.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

leeann and anyone else, I have lots of young New Dawn rose plants if you are interested.
    Sizes range from a few inches in plant height to two, three feet in root length.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

If a person is in zone 6 and gets a rose cutting to actually flower what step is next with fall coming. This happened to me last year I had a couple roses on the cutting I tried to keep this in my attached garage but it died . Also in trying to get your cutting well rooted should you remove said flowers in lieu of getting better rooted, but who could do that. Any help appreciated.

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

I have a plant of Harlow Carr that I am interested in trading for a different DAR, if interested send me a list if what you have for trade.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hummersteve, congrats on a rooted and blooming cutting. The best approach will depend on the plant. If the rose is a hardy runner transplanting it to ground is less of a problem. But if the rooted cutting is a less hardy plant but blooming I would move it into a larger container. Handle either carefully, the soil the plant is moved into should be a close match. I would cover the plant for winter protection in your zone. Hope this helps

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

For those who are interested I have Harlow Carr & Princess Alexandra of Kent own root plants that originally came from DAR's I would like to trade for other DAR's . Here is a list of other DAR's that I also grow and will have cuttings to trade sometime this year. I also have a list of older roses that I can list if anyone is interested.
    1. Abraham Darby
    2. Anne Boleyn
    3. Country Living
    4. Eglantyne
    5. Emanuel
    6. Evelyn
    7. Falstaff
    8. Harlow Carr
    9. Heathcliff

1. Lady of Megginch
    2. Mary Rose
    3. Princess Alexandra of Kent
    4. Princess Anne
    5. Prospero
    6. Pretty Jessica
    7. Sister Elizabeth
    8. Spirit of Freedom
    9. Strawberry Hill
    10. Tea Clipper
    11. Tess of the dâ Urbervilles
    12. The Alnwick Rose
    13. The Prince
    14. Troilus
    15. William Shakespeare
    16. William Shakespeare 2000
    17. Wisley 2008
    18. Young Lycidas

My list of wants are >
    1. James Galway
    2. Munstead Wood
    3. Jubilee Celebration
    4. CPM
    5. Port Sunlight
    6. Phlox Paniculata - Dark Lavender & Purple

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosepat You I sent you GW email, do you have a private email?

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

Here is the list of other roses that I grow.

1. Paul Neyron [thornless]
    2. Renae [ thornless climber]
    3. Cl. Lavender Lace [thornless ]
    4. La Reine
    5. Sweet Chariot
    6. Fragrant Masterpiece
    7. Exellenz Von Schubert [ almost thornless climber]
    8. The Fawn
    9. Rosabell

1. Sunset [ old tea]
    2. Reine des Violets
    3. Duquesa
    4. Yolonda de Arragon
    5. Souvenir dâÂÂun Ami [ old thornless tea]
    6. Arthur de Sansal
    7. Weeping Chinadoll [ makes a beautiful standard]
    8. Jerry Jennings
    9. Aunt MargyâÂÂs Rose
    10. Ebb Tide
    11. Eugene de Beauharnais
    12. Blue Mist [mini that gets big here ]
    13. Pink Cardinal Hume
    14. La France, [great rebloom]
    15. Anna de Diesbach
    16. Baby Faurax
    17. Cl. Cinderella
    18. Gartendirektor Otto Linne
  • Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

In case anyone is interested in addition to PAK and Harlow Carr I also have for trade a small own root plant of Lady of Megginch that came from Heirloom Roses earlier this year, color is not to my liking. I have to get rid of some to make room for new ones.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Rose Pat, what general area are you located in?

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

Kippy-the-Hippy, I am located in the central valley of California, hot and dry.

• Guinnevtra
    9 years ago

How do you grow cuttings, and what are suckering roots? I only have two roses at this time, Don Juan, my rescue from home depot a cpl years ago, and Red Robin, my $3 plant. My mother in law has a couple pretty salmon colored roses, and is trimmimg them 'as we speak'.

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

Guinnevtra,
    Suckers grow from the roots of a grafted rose, if you grow them from cuttings they are called own root roses and there are no suckers to deal with, whatever comes up from the roots is just more of the same plant. You will need to google âÂÂhow to root rose cuttingsâ as I can do it but its difficult for me to explain.
    Good luck

• edelweisszone9b
    9 years ago

Good Day,

I would really like to get cuttings or a plant of Pretty Jessica.

Thanks
    Edelweiss

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guinnevtra sucking roots are just that. It happens with some varieties more than others. I have several mature New Dawns, they recently have began to leaf from the root system, where it is close to ground level. Most times the plant will produce another set of roots near the sucking root. If separated from the main root you can produce another separate rose plant. And since in my case it is an own root plant and not grafted the sucker plant produced from it should be the same as the main plant.

Cuttings are usually a 6-8 inch section of stem from a rose, after that stem has bloomed. Another way to look at this is to cut a stem with at least 5 leaf nodes. These cuttings with the right conditions can produce white feeder roots, that will support growth to produce a new plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Cuttings propagation

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 8:54

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

Does anyone have any DAR's that they want to trade ? I have several, I wanted to make some new beds in the lawn but hubby said no way not now so now I have a surplus of certain DAR's that I would like to trade for other DAR's that I don't already have, some older and some newer ones. These plants were purchased by me so no need to call in the DAR police, no laws against trading plant for plant.
    I have 3 to 6 plants of each variety, I will be keeping one or two of each so will actually only have 1 to 4 plants of each variety to trade. If you have any questions please email me or send me your trade list of DAR's only.
    Darcey Bussell
    Sister Elizabeth
    Wisley
    Princess Alexandra of Kent
    Harlow Carr
    Tess of the de Urbervilles
    Tea Clipper

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rosepat, I have two DARs I am willing to trade. One Crown Princess Margareta or one Abraham Darby, would love to to trade for a Tess U.
    or Darcey Bussell.

LMK

• Patricia Munroe
    9 years ago

BRMeadows, I already have those, do you have any others to trade ? Here is a list of some of the ones that I am looking for > Admired Miranda, Wise Portia, English Violet, Tradescant, Munstead Wood, St Swithun, Jubilee Celebration, James Galway to name a few.

• jjjessee
    9 years ago

Hello, People of the Rose.
    I'm a semi-old person, but young budding rosarian . I've garden most of my life except for a 20 year stint that just ended a few years ago. I just never got the hang of starting roses so I have a lot of catching up to do. That being said, I don't have much to trade in the rose world except a species rose or two I've wild collected and a non-fragrant, extra-large rugosa from my neighbor. I've got my first small batch of cuttings now rooting from mid-summer collecting and seeing some success.

By my seek list, you can see I'm pretty much into pre-20th century,fragrant roses.
    Any way you can help would be much appreciated. And I'd pay a fair price in lieu of exchange.

Albertine
    Alchymist
    American Beauty
    Apothecary's Rose
    Ardoisee de Lyon
    Autumn Damask
    Blanchefleur
    Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant
    Crested Damask
    Dainty Bess
    Danae
    Duc de Guiche
    Fantin Latour
    Félicité et Perpétue
    Félicité Parmentier
    Fortune's Double Yellow(Gold of Ophir)
    Gilda
    Illusion
    Jacqueline Humery
    Joseph's Coat
    Lavender Lassie
    Leda
    Mme Plantier
    Queen of Denmark
    Reine des Violettes
    Rosa Banksiae, lutea
    Rose de Rescht
    Silver Shadows
    Souvenir de St. Anne's
    Super Elfin
    Yolande d'Aragon
    Zéphirine Drouhin

As I have almost no roses, I'm open to just about any pre-20th century variety.

Thanks,
    JJJ

This post was edited by jjjessee on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 0:46

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rosepat, sorry those two DARs are the only one I have for trading.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jjjessee, I have several New Dawn that need a home. If interested, let me know.

• jjjessee
    9 years ago

Thanks, BR! PM sent.

• vaflowernut
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses everybody

This post was edited by vaflowernut on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 15:25

• kathygold2003
    9 years ago

Hi: Does anyone have cutting from Voodoo. I could exchange cuttings from charolette, maggie (found) or red knock out.

• BRMeadows
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is off topic, but I wanted to make the offer here first, as the amount is limited.

I have divided some plantings of Zebra grass, if you would like some of the roots, some with top growth LMK. The root cuttings are small, a few inches in width and length. This grass makes a good potted plant.

How to Grow Zebra Grass
    Dividing Grasses Youtube video

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Grass

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 12:35

Sponsored