Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Cuttings - Plans/Exchanges

Posted by BRMeadows 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 19:13

Anyone want to make some rose cutting exchange plans now or is it too soon to be thinking about it ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Cuttings - Plans/Exchanges

What are you looking to exchange? I have many antiques and Austens.

This post was edited by justkristy on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 21:08

o

I also have some Austins (Ad.CPM), candy stripe, touch of class, Tropicana, Montezuma, New Dawn (climber).

Variegated Japanese Aucuba, Japanese Laurel -Gold Dust Plant

Anything appeal?

o

I'm interested, I have DAR, old roses and some mini's.

o

im interested. have 3 different varieties of austin roses and two weeks roses ; 'easy going' and 'oh my'. would love to trade for austin roses i dont have..

o

You guys want to show our hands here or take it private?

o

Add tour de malakoff and The Impressionist to my list of roses.

pink/white Wild Azalea, Beautyberry, SweetShrub and Blackberry Lily

o

Its still too early here to stick cuttings but I am willing to make plans for spring time exchange.

o

I grow a lot of the David Austin roses, a few old roses and some miniature roses. I am in the process of re-doing most of my garden so a lot of my roses are new but should be able to take a few cuttings from them this spring, just give me a list of what you are looking for and I'll let you know if I have it.

o

only luck i had with rooting roses is to stick them in ground over winter and cover them with a mason jar . then in spring they are rooted. how do you all root them?

o

I'd like to get in on exchanging, too, whenever it's the best time for it.
I have Duchesse de Brabant, Fortune 5-Color, Natchitoches Noisette, Pink Pet, Old Blush, Cecille Bruner and some other old ones I don't have ID'd yet.

Send me an email if interested.
Natchi. cuttings  7.17.12 photo 100_1266.jpg

photo 000_0964.jpg

Susie

o

My best success method has been early spring, a version of the mason jar. I make up my own sand perlite mix and use 32 oz or larger container that I keep closed for 7-10 days. After that i open up the container lid/top. This seems to work best for me, but not much works in mid summer upper 90-100 with high humidity About the only method that works in mid summer is a misting setup on a timer.
But as many of you know different methods work in different environment and at different times. If all the variables could be kept the same then a one size fits all method could be developed, so using different methods at the same time will help develop what works best in your area.

o

Wow susieqsie what is the name of two toned beaut on the right side in the first photo.

o

Hi - I ,want in also.
I have a deep red with large heavily fragrant full blooms, shrub type, no i.d.
I also have belinda's dream, large lightly fragrant pink blooms, shrub type.
I also have Sombreuil, climbing huge rose bush. Very large, full very fragrant off white blooms. It is a vigorous rosebush and will need support for it's very large canes!
I am looking for two toned types and fragrant types with very full blloms. Here are some pics. of mine. Thanks, Mistee
my red rosebush photo 101_3623.jpg

my sombruil rosebush photo 101_3626.jpg
my belinda's dream rosebush photo mybelindasdreamrosebush.jpg

o

Here are a few yummies.

o

Hi guys,

I've got that are large enough for cuttings

Lavendar Lassie
Cecile Brunner
Cl Pinkie
Cl Angel Face
Heritage
Red Eden

In fact, I might need to make some room in my garden since I'm in a small lot in Venice.

The ones I'm thinking of giving up are Pinkie and Cecile Bruner. I want to give my Eden and Barbara Worl (the seller said this was Grandmother's hat) room to grow because they've been amazing for the few blooms I got from the small bands in the first year.

Please let me know if you'd like either of those because I would hate to just throw them away. I would say they are about a 3 gallon in size if I pruned them for shipping.

=) Spreading the rose love

o

stacian, i would love to take you up on those roses cecile brunner and pinkie. theyre both so gorgeous!

o

Stacian

When are you thinking of removing them? I have to drive to LAX in a couple of weeks and might be something we could do together.

I have a bunch of cuttings started in cups. But my old garden roses are all pretty much babies and not ready to be cut.

One thing, if you are in a quarantine zone, you might want to check out shipping out of state with the soil on the plants.

o

I only have Dublin Bay cuttings to offer right now (working to remedy that this year), but I would love to try any David Austins. Willing to pay postage after my cuttings are gone if anyone has excess.

o

Hi - I am looking for ;
tropicana
dublin bay
angel face
and others. Please, email me if we can trade.
Thanks,Mistee

o

I have Tropicana, also Montezuma that is similar to Tropicana. Let me know if you want to trade cuttings.

o

I am sorry I don't grow shrubs or OGR, I have no room. If you want a shopping list go to hmf.com/roses and type in my name. There all all the roses I have.
I have gotten some very hard to find roses, because I took home roses to root from the the shows.
I'd be interested in minis and minifloras that I don't have.

o

I am looking for knockout roses, I live in a climate which is rainy (not really) in winter and hot dry in summer (Jordan, Amman more or less zone 9-10) , specially July and August, I have tried very hard to get the roses from Europe but without success as they are mainly product of USA, anyone have Knockout rose could help me with some cuttings, I am ready to pay for the DHL postage and any cost involved, appreciate your understanding

This post was edited by alzubide on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:28

o

I have fresh cuttings of New Dawn. Got anything to trade let me know.

Other varieties cutting soon:
Don Juan
Mr. Lincoln
Tropicana
Montezuma
NOID Vase shaped pink

o

Hi all, new to this forum, sounds good. I'm in mich, we're buried, hope to see a new season soon. Nice to hear people talk about something besides KO. I will have cuttings of the following this spring you can email me and let me know if you're interested. I'd like to exchange for:
Buff beauty
Ispahan
Seafoam
Any buck roses,
Blanc double de coubert
Lavender lassie
Oh heck, any old roses, preferably fragrant

I can trade these, some limited q's:
Rose de rescht
Agnes
New dawn
Hot cocoa
Purple splash
Bonica
Fairy
Red ribbons
Carefree wonder
Raspberry blanket
Maybe cl iceberg
Thanks

o

Good list chasengel, I look forward to some exchanges.
I love Hot Cocoa! it is listed as 4 feet in height but in BAMA it's a short climber at about 10 feet. And New Dawn is 20 feet in both direction. Rose de rescht and Purple splash has caught my eyes.

o

I meant to include -Tour-de-Malakoff as a trade offering.

o

Hi Bobby!

The cuttings you sent me are doing really well and new little leaves are popping out.
I hope that means roots, too.

What kind of rose in the picture above Tour de Malakoff?
Is that New Dawn in your garden?

Thanks,
Susie

o

The little ones and cuttings you sent are inside for now, because of the icy storm that just came through. They appear anxious to get outside, their little buds are swollen. I have the little plants in separate pots, along with some potted cuttings. I'm running an experiment on part of the cuttings with a burrito wrap in the ground outside, (fingers crossed).

Glad the cuttings and little ones are doing good for you. I think the exchange went well and hope you will consider another one later.

Yes, the picture above Tour de Malakoff is New Dawn. That's one of the daughters from the original. New Dawn, IMHO, is one of the easiest to root rose. In Alabama, it has three flushes. The first peak is Mothers Day, then mid summer then Fall, with the fist flush being the best.

o

Hi, everybody!
I have a rose a garden and I'm looking for new roses from cuttings or just cuttings. I am from Romania. If you would like to see what roses I have, you can see them here:
http://primula.sunphoto.ro/
If anybody wants to exchange cuttings or baby own roots roses, I am waiting to write a private message!

o

Dear eahamel

Thanks for the replay, we have no restriction on importing cuttings, we have in Jordan many kinds of roses but unfortunately all are unnamed variety's, we usually import plants from the Mediterranean countries like Italy, France and from Holland, because it is cheaper to ship, and mainly we buy from auctions rather than choosing the variety's more suited to our climate.

Growing from seeds is fun but unfortunately I travel a lot , I don't stay in Amman more than one month, then I have to travel for some days, and some times for weeks, at this time it is not practical to do this way, and as I said we have a lot of roses in Amman, but what I like about Knockout roses is there resistance to black spot and they keep flowering in summer (hot months), where most of our roses will have very few flowers in summer until the cool months come back in October. any way thanks for the replay and It is nice to hear your opinion

o

What can I exchange for that adorable puppy?

o

That is Rockie, he was one of four Yorkies. All of them are at different homes except for Gnomie.

o

Nobody from Europe here?! I'm lost as I see, The USA is so far, too far... I am sorry!

o

I I wanted to post some pictures of cuttings that are doing good. Its not spring yet, but these are doing well. I move them from inside to outside when the weather is going to be above freezing (barely). I'm in zone 8a, the cuttings are only three weeks old and have been inside more than out. While inside there was no special care, I have only watered them twice (tap water) and no special lighting. The top two were young seedlings with roots from Florida (only few months old) and now putting on new growth.
Cuttings were from Texas taken in Jan.

Make me wonder if the ones in warmer regions are missing a lots of growth time waiting on traditional spring time to start.

BMeadows

o

They look nice! I'm keeping a baby rose inside this winter that's also leafed out well--but it's been much cozier and under lights.

How come you use aluminum foil around the pots?

o

Just great, congratulations! I live in zone 5, a montaine region with temperate climate. Did you see My rose bushes? You could look them on:
www.primula.ro
Now we are in winter time, with a lot of snow and cold weather. The roses are sleeping during our winters. I am waiting for spring time.
I couldn't plant in my garden roses thet are for zone 8. Our winters aren't so warm for them to resist. But I like to see albums with all sort of roses! Have a good day! Rodica50

o

lovesblooms The aluminum foil is a cheap/quick container for holding water when I bring them inside.

Rodica50 WouldTherese Bugnet thrive in your area?

Could you post a link to your roses ? the links above don't work for me.

o
Walley World Heads up-Zone 8

Just a heads up for Wally World shoppers around zone 8. I got a Climbing America, Fragrant Cloud, Just Joey and Blue Girl for 20 dollars and change.
They are the waxed in body bag variety so a they will benefit from a few days of soaking.

o

First bloom of Just Joey, the waxed body bag rose from Wally World

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 18:57

Wow! That grew and bloomed fast! Nice photo!

o

The bush was in the ground abt 6 weeks, I believe it had a small bud the day I brought it home.
Here is a pic of the whole thing.

o

I am surprised at the bud size, its great!

o

I just cut my 'Cinco de Mayo' and David Austin's 'Celebration'. LMK if anyone's interested.

o
The Impressionist

Forgive my excitement, but here are pictures of The Impressionist in Alabama. It is the first blooms of the Impressionist I got from Heirloomroses.com last year.
I have heard the colors vary dependant on temp/weather/etc. Now if it will stand the the BS test, I have it in full sun away from any dripline except for the split rail fence. These are true colors on the bloom, notice the blueist/purple on the edges of bloom.

o

I need cuttings of Souviner de la Malmasion , Rose de Resct, Madame Marie Curie, and Madame Laurette Messimy, I lost these over this weird winter. If anyone has these I would love to trade. I have a good many roses some listed some not. Some are not old enough to take cuttings from and some are. If anyone is interested please send me a email, Thanks!

o

Would love any Austin or English rose cuttings. Would be willing to pay for cuttings and shipping. I had golden celebration, and sophy's rose and lost them both.

o

melis001 your email address is not showing on your user page. There is a setting that has to be changed, in the meantime send me private email for a trade.

o

Could anyone trade a few cuttings of New Dawn or any of the ogr that have a nice fragrance? Most of my roses died during the extreme winter cold. Please check my trade list and see if anything interests you or would be more than happy to do postage. I can't find any of these here.

o

Plantsforever i have some large roots from New Dawn that will likely successfully produce a plant. The roots are several inches in diameter, could be cut to 8-12 inch sections. I may even have a volunteer or two.

Happy Mother's Day to you

Bobby Meadows

o

Hi Bobby
I just wanted to write and thank you again for the trade. Even though I lost more cuttings than I rooted, I am so happy that one from your Abraham Darby is already blooming. I just had to show you -

Abe Darby 1.20.14 cutting photo 100_1858.jpg

I hope you had better luck with rooting . . . I don't know what I did wrong.

~Susie

o

Susie:
Can you tell me what's the name of the annual flower (it will bear trumpeter like purple flower in the summer) at the left hand side of the picture of your young Abraham Darby?
I had some long long time ago, I have tried all my resources but I still can not remember its name!
Appreciated
Peter

o

susie that great, glad to see it worked out for you.

I think you are doing things right if you are getting the cuttings to strike. You may want to tweak a few things but you are rocking when you have them striking.

o

Hey Peter
That little plant is a volunteer torenia. Some of mine are trailing

photo 100_1547.jpg

and some are the regular. They pop up everywhere and come in several different colors.

o

I have several New Dawn with suckering roots that likely will produce a successful plant. Some are already potted others are being hydrated. Let me know if anyone is interested in a trade for them or others on my page.

Here is a picture of some of the ones that are producing presently there are others presently and others that are coming on.

o

Susie:
Ah..that is a Torenia! Thank you so much. I will not forget it this time! I remember when I first sow it was 1962 when we had field practice at the famous Fen-San Horticulture Experiment Station, Taiwan. The Torenias grow wildly everywhere in this station. At where the today very popular seedless watermelon was developed for commercial produce.
I taught Horticulture Science at an Agriculture School for 12 years after I got Horticulture Degree. In Taiwan (the typical tropical country), I helped my students build raised cutting bed under screen, used only clean river sand for the cutting medium, most commercial nurseries used shredded black tree fern fiber for cutting medium. Used hand showering the cutting bed once or twice daily. We made a wide varieties of cuttings, from herbaceous perennial to softwood or hardwood ornamental (Mum, Carnation, Azaleas, Camellias, Bougainvilleas, Junipers, Some rose species and old garden roses). At that time (1960 th), we grafted a lot kind of fruit trees, we used ground layering or air layering for ornamental or fruit tree. Of course, only used air layering for HT (used white sphagnum moss for the layering medium), so the RMV never been a problem at that time.
I have talked too far, be wise to stop here. Thank you for your time.
Peter

o

I made the picture using a technique I learned using a computer progam called The gimp. The technique turns a photo into a watercolor lookalike.

o

Sorry
Posted to wrong.forum

o

Hi Bobby and Everyone

I just thought I'd show ya how awesome a baby Portlandia cutting looks! See how there's a brown stem? I almost tossed this one out, thinking it was too dead to put out any roots.

But it rooted and put out a new stem and today it bloomed. Not even 5 months old . . . almost as quickly as my Natchitoches!

How are yours doing?

o

Great job
Did it have any yellow toward the middle?

My group has been hanging around outdoors. No where near what you got.

o

Here's another view.

Hope it answers your question......

o

Color looks like the HT Touch of Class, which I have. Keep an eye on for characteristics. Portlandia is a short climber. Either way both are great roses.

o

Thanks for the correct ID of this baby, Bobby.

It must've snuck in with the other cuttings you sent me - you didn't label any as
Touch of Class and it was in the Portlandia package.

I hope it likes it here in Florida!

Thanks again for this trade,

Susie

o

Maybe that one got misplaced I do try to include a surprise bush. I looked back at my notes and did NOT see it mentioned.
How many make it so far?

Portlandia is in bloom now, want to do another trade?

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:05

o

I think I messed up with labels again - the pic above
(5.11.14) that shows Abe Darby doesn't look like this recent bloom from another cutting you sent me. I think this one is the real Abe. What is your expert opinion?

I really don't know of anything else I have you'd like to trade and I really have to stop making new plants - I am at "way-over-capacity" in this tiny yard with few sunny spots! But thank you so much for the offer . . . very hard to resist getting more new cuttings. But I must be strong!

~Susie

o

Colorwise its AD it is a small runner for me so far. I have four of them on a split rail along with four Crown Princess Margareta, the two are related. If you have a small yard maybe think vertical.

Attached is photo of AD bloom in different stages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Princess Margareta

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 17:58

o

I too am interested in some specific DARs. I would love cuttings of Queen of Sweden, Brother Cadfael, James Galway, Christopher Marlowe, Wise Portia, and Pretty Jessica. I have many (40?) DARs that are ready to bloom that I can exchange unrooted cuttings for. Thanks!

o

rfcfishlady I only have Pretty Jessica from your list but I grow many other DAR's and will soon have more cuttings to exchange if you are interested send me a list of your DAR's that you now grow and I will compile a list for you. Mine are just now coming back after a good trimming from a friend who needed cuttings to root.

o

In need of a reliable climbing rose for my fur baby Lexi' memorial butterfly garden.. I've looked & there's zero healthy rose selections in my area, 7b.

Needing a good size for the double 4x6' privacy lattice screens just added. The azaleas & knockout roses nearby are pink.
Sadly, bunnies ate my annual cypress & sweet pea vines I started from seed Months ago :'(.

S.A.S.E., will also gladly trade what I have (partial list on my page)

No worthy roses yet (1 sad-looking red blaze & 2 pink knockouts from previous owner whose cuttings didn't root for me). I also have tomatoes, mint, hostas, a 6' medium potted willow tree plus tons of seeds from commercial seed swap to offer.

o

leeann and anyone else, I have lots of young New Dawn rose plants if you are interested.
Sizes range from a few inches in plant height to two, three feet in root length.

o

If a person is in zone 6 and gets a rose cutting to actually flower what step is next with fall coming. This happened to me last year I had a couple roses on the cutting I tried to keep this in my attached garage but it died . Also in trying to get your cutting well rooted should you remove said flowers in lieu of getting better rooted, but who could do that. Any help appreciated.

o

I have a plant of Harlow Carr that I am interested in trading for a different DAR, if interested send me a list if what you have for trade.

o

hummersteve, congrats on a rooted and blooming cutting. The best approach will depend on the plant. If the rose is a hardy runner transplanting it to ground is less of a problem. But if the rooted cutting is a less hardy plant but blooming I would move it into a larger container. Handle either carefully, the soil the plant is moved into should be a close match. I would cover the plant for winter protection in your zone. Hope this helps

o

For those who are interested I have Harlow Carr & Princess Alexandra of Kent own root plants that originally came from DAR's I would like to trade for other DAR's . Here is a list of other DAR's that I also grow and will have cuttings to trade sometime this year. I also have a list of older roses that I can list if anyone is interested.
1. Abraham Darby
2. Anne Boleyn
3. Country Living
4. Eglantyne
5. Emanuel
6. Evelyn
7. Falstaff
8. Harlow Carr
9. Heathcliff
10. Lady of Megginch
11. Mary Rose
12. Princess Alexandra of Kent
13. Princess Anne
14. Prospero
15. Pretty Jessica
16. Sister Elizabeth
17. Spirit of Freedom
18. Strawberry Hill
19. Tea Clipper
20. Tess of the d’ Urbervilles
21. The Alnwick Rose
22. The Prince
23. Troilus
24. William Shakespeare
25. William Shakespeare 2000
26. Wisley 2008
27. Young Lycidas

My list of wants are >
1. James Galway
2. Munstead Wood
3. Jubilee Celebration
4. CPM
5. Port Sunlight
6. Phlox Paniculata - Dark Lavender & Purple

o

Rosepat You I sent you GW email, do you have a private email?

o

Here is the list of other roses that I grow.

1. Paul Neyron [thornless]
2. Renae [ thornless climber]
3. Cl. Lavender Lace [thornless ]
4. La Reine
5. Sweet Chariot
6. Fragrant Masterpiece
7. Exellenz Von Schubert [ almost thornless climber]
8. The Fawn
9. Rosabell
10. Sunset [ old tea]
11. Reine des Violets
12. Duquesa
13. Yolonda de Arragon
14. Souvenir d’un Ami [ old thornless tea]
15. Arthur de Sansal
16. Weeping Chinadoll [ makes a beautiful standard]
17. Jerry Jennings
18. Aunt Margy’s Rose
19. Ebb Tide
20. Eugene de Beauharnais
21. Blue Mist [mini that gets big here ]
22. Pink Cardinal Hume
23. La France, [great rebloom]
24. Anna de Diesbach
25. Baby Faurax
26. Cl. Cinderella
27. Gartendirektor Otto Linne

o

In case anyone is interested in addition to PAK and Harlow Carr I also have for trade a small own root plant of Lady of Megginch that came from Heirloom Roses earlier this year, color is not to my liking. I have to get rid of some to make room for new ones.

o

Rose Pat, what general area are you located in?

o

Kippy-the-Hippy, I am located in the central valley of California, hot and dry.

o

How do you grow cuttings, and what are suckering roots? I only have two roses at this time, Don Juan, my rescue from home depot a cpl years ago, and Red Robin, my $3 plant. My mother in law has a couple pretty salmon colored roses, and is trimmimg them 'as we speak'.

o

Guinnevtra,
Suckers grow from the roots of a grafted rose, if you grow them from cuttings they are called own root roses and there are no suckers to deal with, whatever comes up from the roots is just more of the same plant. You will need to google “how to root rose cuttings” as I can do it but its difficult for me to explain.
Good luck

o

Good Day,

I would really like to get cuttings or a plant of Pretty Jessica.

Thanks
Edelweiss

o

Guinnevtra sucking roots are just that. It happens with some varieties more than others. I have several mature New Dawns, they recently have began to leaf from the root system, where it is close to ground level. Most times the plant will produce another set of roots near the sucking root. If separated from the main root you can produce another separate rose plant. And since in my case it is an own root plant and not grafted the sucker plant produced from it should be the same as the main plant.

Cuttings are usually a 6-8 inch section of stem from a rose, after that stem has bloomed. Another way to look at this is to cut a stem with at least 5 leaf nodes. These cuttings with the right conditions can produce white feeder roots, that will support growth to produce a new plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Cuttings propagation

This post was edited by BRMeadows on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 8:54

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here