Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Propagating Cutting from RMV Plant

harmonyp
11 years ago

I have a rose with RMV that I have just taken cuttings from. It seems like this will have an obvious answer, but I'm curious about getting a real answer. Will propagating a cutting from an RMV rose produce 100% odds of RMV in the new rose?

Don't need any long papers on the topic. Just interested for my own knowledge. I plan to try to propagate it, regardless, for my own garden.

Comments (3)

• trospero
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The plants you produce from cuttings off an RMV infected rose will also be infected, guaranteed.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Cuttings taken from your virused rose may or may not be virused as the virus distribution is not homogenous in the rose. Of course the smaller the cutting (and the greater the outside temperature when you take the cutting), the greater the chance that it will be virus free. Probably your best chance would be to do a bud graft with a bud selected from a branch that is not exhibiting symptoms during the hottest part of your summer.

A recent report on the U. California Davis rose virus cleaning program stated: "Oddly enough, one way they eliminate virii is by clonal propagation. Simply put, if you culture enough buds (~100) some small number of them (two or three maybe) will be virus free. The drawback is space, labor and the need to index all the test plants."

http://www.rosebreeders.org/forum/read.php?2,38492,38519#msg-38519
    -------------------------------------------
    H.Kuska comment: This follows logically from the discovery around 2000 that the viruses were not distributed evenly in the plants and that the rose immune system against PNRSV type viruses is more effective at higher temperatures.
    -----------------------------------------
    The following grape virus paper suggests that rosarians near/in the California desert MAY be able to naturally "clean" virused roses.

"Abstract
    The detectability of grapevine-leafroll-associated virus 3 (GLRaV-3) was investigated by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT��"PCR) in the domestic grapevine cultivar Sakasly, grown over two successive years in the Sahara, at Rjim-Mâatoug in Tunisia. Self-rooted cuttings, infected with GLRaV-3 were cultivated and the presence of the virus was checked over 2 years and compared with controls. During the first year, 80% of the originally infected vines were negative for GLRaV-3 using ELISA. After the second year, 93% and 95% of these plants were negative for GLRaV-3 using ELISA and RT��"PCR, respectively. Furthermore, rooted cuttings derived from GLRaV-3-negative plants and grown under controlled conditions in a greenhouse (at 16��"20°C) were ELISA-negative in most cases (84%). In addition, biological indexing on Vitis vinifera cv. Gamay Rouge de la Loire showed no leafroll symptoms on this indicator in 92% of the grafted vines. These results suggest a naturally occurring heat therapy in the Tunisian Sahara, which could be of practical importance for the production of GLRaV-3-free grapevine cuttings, especially as scale insect and mealybug vectors have not been observed in this area."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0434.2006.01142.x/abstract

------------------------------------------------
    The original work on this aspect ( with roses) was published in a 1990 paper, see link in the link box below:

A 2005 Polish paper also found inhomogenous distribution of the virus in rose ( http://150.254.175.4/ptfit/pdf/PP38a/PP38_091-098.pdf ).

Is this something unique to roses? No, U.C. Davis has reported that virus distribution was not homogenous in grape vines.

Of course it is always possible that the "virus free cuttings" may actually contain a virus concentration below the detection limits of present day methods. However, if the concentration is low enough for the rose's immune system to control; the question of zero or very low may be of academic interest only.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1990 paper

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting Henry, thank you. I do want to replicate this rose, and of course it would be preferable for the replicates to not have RMV.