Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

did I plant sterile rose seeds? or was the method at fault?

luxrosa
9 years ago

On our two bushes of Belle Sultane, one had for years never set more than 3-4 hips on the entire bush, while the other bush has set a couple dozen hips that are now are a rich red-maroon color and taste jammy, in previous years the hips were mostly deformed, but these are shaped in a symmetrical shape. I 'm wondering if they would be fertile?

I tried growing Tea roses from seeds from 'Mrs. Dudley Cross' a few years ago, I soaked the the 7 seeds in a weak hydrogen peroxide solution then transferred the seeds to the fridge in a pot of damp soil for a couple weeks, removed them and planted them outdoors but not one of the seeds germinated.

Should I bother trying again? Do some roses bear sterile hips?
If so is there anyway to tell if a hip bears sterile hip seeds?
I have ripe rosehips on Belle Sultane, and ripening on Mrs. Dudley Cross as well as on Mme. Lombard, all three of which set only a very few hips most years; 5-7 on bushes that are 4-7 feet tall is usually what I see.

Between myself and my neighbor we have more than 250 rose cultivars and species, I suppose I could pick hundreds of hips remove the seeds and just plant them as they are after all rose seeds do germinate in the wild, and hope that some of the seeds will germinate, I'm excited by this thought,because several dozen plants are O.G.R.'s, perhaps I might get a few dozens of seedlings.

Might anyone (roseseek are you there?) know if there is a different percentage of rose seed germination according to the class of a rose seed? I've read a bit about chromosome incompatibility.

Thanks Lux.

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Hi Lux, where to start... Tea roses have been infamous for their sterility issues. Some have shown themselves to be decent parents, while others have no offspring, probably due to the fact they are terrible seed and/or pollen parents. For instance, Mrs. Dudley Cross has only one offspring and it is a sport, not a seedling. Surprising such a pretty, decent rose was never used for breeding, isn't it? Mme. Lombard has quite a few offspring, some of which are sports, others not. You can check whether there are known offspring from each on Help Me Find.

The older European Garden Roses may require some cold stratification, while most Teas, Chinas, minis and moderns don't really need it. I only use it to delay germination until usually this time of the year when it's safer to plant. Traditionally, by now (Thanksgiving) the rains should have started (presuming we are going to have rains) and the heat is over, which helps foster better germination. Otherwise, in the years I've harvested late and immediately planted, germination was good.

But, then, some years germination sucks, then others, it's great. No reason, just works that way. Few get great germination every year, no matter what they do, or don't do. I've honestly found I get as good (or bad) germination by not doing all the hocus pocus stuff to "insure better germination". I simply shell the seed and rub off all the extra fibers and hip tissue with my fingers, then put the seeds in small zip lock bags with a plastic label with the cross written in #2 pencil, then pop that into a larger plastic bag to hold in the fridge until it's cooler and wetter. No fungicides, no hydrogen peroxide washes, no nothing. When the time is right, I plant outdoors in my seed tables and keep them watered. Of course, you can be as "scientific" and elaborate as you wish, but you don't HAVE to.

So, yes, some roses are simply sterile or otherwise reluctant parents. Others are "weeds", rabbits. They generate many seeds and every one seems to germinate into multiple seedlings. If you've succeeded in germinating rose seeds previously, so you know your planting method works, I'd chalk up the failure to either bad parents or just a bad year. I wouldn't give up on trying, though. You might browse HMF for your list of potential seed parents to see which have proven themselves decent "mothers" to get a feel for what might be worth planting.

I've done the "nobody has a reported result from THIS one" routine and found it's usually because "this one" is a dud. Try the difficult ones if you wish, you might come up with something...or not. But, I would check the list to see what has created results and start with them. Good luck! Kim

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roseseek,

I cannot thank you enough!
    Thanks for making this issue clear for me.

Happy Holidays,

Lux.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Hi Lux! You're most welcome! It's my pleasure. Thank you! Happy Holidays to you, too! Kim

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz