Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenleaf1818

Rose Seeds--Need Help

greenleaf1818
18 years ago

I want to plant rose seeds but I'm not sure what's the right way. I've read websites but some say to stratify the seeds in the refrigerator so they'll sprout, but others say not to give the cold treatment. I'm confused--cold or not? And also, when's the best time to sow the seeds? I live in Zone 7. One last thing...I find some seeds to float when put into water, does that mean they are dead?

Thanks for any help for my three questions!

Comments (14)

• jont1
    18 years ago

I have my seeds in the fridge now and plan on planting them early January 2006. I personally think the cold stratification process is necessary to get the best rate of germination out of your seeds.
    John

• ondrea_carina_leaf
    18 years ago

I have had success in growing rose seeds doing the wet paper towel in a plastic baggie placed in the refrigerater.
    Yes you can do it now.
    It will take a little while for them to germinate. If they do sprout before Spring. Just pot them up and place in the window. (not direct sunlight though) After sprouting I used both methods of heat pad and grow lights too. SOme with small pots in baggy. It works no matter.

• flowersandbirds4ever
    18 years ago

got a question?when you have your seeds in wet paper towel
    and in fridge and they germ-what do you see if any thing?
    I have had seeds in wet paper towels and want to know what you look for in germ thanks rosie

• henry_kuska
    18 years ago

Regarding what you will see, go to slide (step) 67 or 69:

http://www.abrigon.com/Rose%20Hybridizing%20Presentation%20Final_files/frame.htm#slide0001.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• garden2garden
    18 years ago

What a great presentation, Mr. Kuska. It answered a lot of questions for me (some I didn't even know I had). This has been my first year with roses and so it's my first winter trying their seeds, too.
    Also found interesting, your very informative website. I'm no where near done reading there yet, just wanted to say I'm finding it all very helpful and thanks for sharing the info.

• redneckgardener
    18 years ago

I was reading through posts to figure out how to start from seed. This one seems thorough but I have a slightly different situation.

I took some wild rose cuttings off the road to try and root. When I got home I pulled a rose hip apart and it still has seeds in it. Since we are in the high mountains its pretty cold and we've had a fair amount of snow for a few months. Would these seeds still need cold stratification? Very new to roses.

To describe the bush, it looks like a Marguerite Hilling...red canes with pink flowers in summer.

Thanks to all!
    Cara

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

The seeds probably did stratify in the pulp of the hip, but I'd still clean the seeds and stratify them in potting mix in the fridge for three months.

• weldontx
    18 years ago

daveinohio gives good advice about getting the Rose Hybridizers book. They are quick to respond and the information is concise, but complete. I am very interested in trying my hand at hybridizing this spring. I was successful in getting my first seeds to sprout this winter.
    I have 5 New Dawn seedlings and 2 from a large hip from a rose that had no name tag. All OP'd. Like propagating cuttings, it's exciting to see new things grow!
    Would like to see more posts -- Dave & Henry-- about hybridizing.
    Weldon

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

I was woundering if all the seeds in a hip will come out the same?

thanks melissa

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

hey,

I just planted some rose seeds about 2 days ago that i hade outside in the hips inside a pot. I was woundering if the seeds would be able to grow and if it would be warm enough on a windowsill or should I put them in front of a heater if so do I have to have the heaters running all day and all night or just some of the day? Another question how big does the seedling have to be to be able to be planted outside?

thanks in advance,
    Melissa

• joan_m
    18 years ago

Melissa,

Rose seeds don't germinate well in warm conditions. If I remember correctly, temperatures over 70 degrees will prevent and/or hinder germination. I would suggest moving your seeds away from the heater. Seeds will germinate when kept at refrigerator temps of about 40 degrees. I believe 50-60 degrees is considered an optimal temperature to germinate rose seeds.

• Simone Witham
    3 years ago

My rose seeds have been wrapped in paper towels in the fridge for 3 months and I'm not seeing any difference. Am I doing something wrong?

• Addison in VT z4a
    3 years ago

Simone Witham, they won't necessarily start germinating in the fridge after 3 mos. They *can* but they don't necessarily... If they've been moist the whole time, and they aren't rotten, then you might sow them in Jiffy strips or small containers with seed starting mix and, in my experience, keep them moist at about room temperature (high 60s). They can also be left to germinate in the fridge. While I haven't done it in paper towels, I have gotten great germination in the fridge in seed starting mix by just waiting a while. It's never been a problem to wait too long either. They've been just fine even after they're an inch or two long.