Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margie_d

propagating and growing roses

margie_d
15 years ago

I want to know if I can propagate and grow roses from cuttins in Manitoba ( very cold ) Canada. the thing is I'm sure I can propagate them and grow them one season but will they winter over. ( our temp. right now is -25C or 8 below 0 F) or do they have to be grafted on to a hardy root in this country. I would like to start some , but not if they won't winter , I realize I would have to mulch and cover them well but am not sure if that would be enough.

if anyone has tryed it could you help me out

Marg

Comments (6)

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

I realize that I am in a warmer zone than you, but I have several cuttings of roses overwintering in my unheated garage under lights. I don't have much experience in this yet, but I do have one HT cutting that made it through winter last year buried in its pot and well-protected with mounds of soil. It seems to be pretty hardy and grew well and bloomed this past summer (it is now planted in the ground). I plan to plant my present group of cuttings in the ground in early May (they will be almost a year old then)and of course, protect them next winter (they are mostly Austins). It can't hurt to give it a try and it gives you some gardening type activity to do over the winter. Good luck.
    Judith

(they are much bigger now - I will have to repot soon)

• margie_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks Judith, I am going to try it but I will have to wait till next spring to get some cuttings ,my sister in Missouri does it all the time but it's warmer there.
    she also told me she has rooted roses from the florest by simple putting them in rooting hormne and putting them in soil and then encloseing them in a ziplock bag I would like to try that if I can get some to winter (and somebody gives me roses)oh well maybe who knows
    Marg

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Hello margie_d, I have never been able to start roses from cuttings but that doesn't stop me from trying. Maybe one day I'll hit the right combination, however I would like to make a suggestion and that is to make sure the cuttings of the roses that you get from Missouri are capable of thriving in zone 3. If not no matter what you do they will probably die, and if not you can spend all winter worrying whether they will live till spring. Do some research and find out what roses are grown on their own roots in zone 3, and relatively easy to root, and you like, and then try to find cuttings of those kinds of roses. I have transplanted tiny suckers of hardy roses here is zone 4 that were shipped from down south with leaves still on them in october by covering the plant with dirt and then uncovering them slowly in the spring and they have done well. I think a cutting of a cold hardy rose would respond as well. Once you find out what kind you really want you can probably trade some plants you already have with people on this forum. Good luck

• margie_d
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Generator, I would be propagting cutting from z3 ,I was just indacting that my sister in Missouri had good luck down there and thats what gave me the idea to try it . I don't know what you have tryed but I could tell you what she does if you are interested. I am going to try it come spring , I don't know where you are but it's really cold here right now , thanks for your help M.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

IME, everything has to spend the first winter inside. Even zone 5 hardy roses, like gallicas, do much better if planted out the next spring. I think the issue is timing. The best time to take cuttings is at the end of the first flush. Here, that is mid-June. Roses that root quickly, root around the beginning of August, which doesn't give them very long to grow before growth stops for the year.

The best place I've found to overwinter baby roses is a cool, but heated room. Something that will stay around 60°F, or 15°C, or even colder for the winter. Spider mites like hot and dry conditions, and a cool, dampish basement is not their idea of fun. It is going to be a given that there isn't enough natural light, so fluorescent lights are a necessity. So it doesn't matter if the room doesn't have adequate windows.

Ask around somewhat locally what roses do OK own-root vs. grafted. Here, anything that regularly gets winterkill is not a good candidate to grow own-root since they seem to need the vigor from a rootstock to rebound in the spring. Given that very little is going to be tip hardy for you, it might be a problem. However, it isn't something I would know about.

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Hi margie_d, Sure I'd like to know. You can email me or explain it here. I would also like to recommend polstjarnan rose for your area. I have it and love it.