Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmgonzo

Hardwood Rose Cutting question.. worth it?

mmmgonzo
17 years ago

Hi all :)

I have never done hardwood cuttings before, always softwood with new growth. I have gotten to where I get a good percentage to root using softwood, but have never tried hardwood cuttings.

If I try to do hardwood cuttings, how successful is it? Will it give me a jump on the rooting season ie: will some be rooted by June? Or will I come out about the same rooting them using softwood cuttings and having rooted cuttings end of June/early July?

Thanks for any and all information.

Any helpful hints appreciated.

Marleah

Comments (2)

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

HI Marleah. I did hardwood cuttings last winter and had anywhere from 25-75% success rate. For me this was very successful, as once I tried indoors and had 0% root (out of about 25). The reason I like the hardwood is that it doesn't take up any room in my small house and I can leave the rooted plants in place and let them get established before I move to their permanent homes. The ones that rooted for me last year are still in their original spots. This spring I will move them to their new spots.

I remember digging up some of my cuttings that were leafing out in may/june and some of them had small roots already. (I'm in zone 7 Long Island NY).

Happy New Year,
    Maureen

• mizerose
    17 years ago

hello, I am new to the forum, and recently started propagating roses. I had tried many methods but found Derek Fell's to be the only one that works. He said hardwood cuttings work best in winter, softwood in spring. You use sand/soil mix in equal amounts, with enough water added that when you squeeze it in your fist a drop or two runs out. Put your soil into a closed container, that is, no hole in the bottom, then make a hole in the wet dirt where the cutting will go. Take a knife and score the middle of the cutting, as well as slashing down the sides of the section you want to root, that is, the part that will be in the dirt. Dip it in water, then your rooting hormone, insert into wet soil and pull the dirt around it. Put a clear container on top of this cup to make a dome. I use large clear plastic disposable cups. Seal the two cups together with tape to make an airtight seal. It should not be touching the sides or top of the cup. If it molds, turns brown, throw it away. Otherwise, put it in a window and give it about 3 or 4 weeks. Once you open it up, after it has rooted, make sure you don't let it dry out as that will kill it. Once leaves appear, I take off the top and just keep watering it. You will think the water will kill it, but until it is well established it won't hurt it. That is my experience anyhow, what works for me. I hope this helps. Anne

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals