Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

rose cuttings put out leaves, then leaves die

garrai81
16 years ago

I use Rootone for my cuttings, put them in potting soil, then put them under a grow light about 8-10 inches away for 8 hours day.

After the rose stems put out 3-inch stems and leaves, the stems and leaves wither and die. I water lightly once a day.

I am baffled about what I should do with the next batch of cuttings.

Can anyone suggest anything? My cousin gave me the cuttings, and I think that they came from the end of the branches.

Thanks.

Paul

Comments (29)

• garrai81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The cuttings just seem to be drying out.

They are in pots. How can I make the environment humid enough?

Should I buy some pop bottles, throw out the pop, and use the bottles as you do?

Thanks.

Paul

• flower2sew
    16 years ago

I use empty 2 liter clear pop bottles to hold the smaller pot with the cuttings. Like HoovB says, make sure everything is sterile. My last batch of cuttings was put into used coir and I got a bad growth on it. Now, I am going to put my coir in the oven before it gets reused. My next problem is having the potting soil too wet. Make sure it is well drained.
    Dawn

• object16
    16 years ago

I suggest read George Mander's thread. I think ur cuttings have no roots. Pull one up and check. If they do have roots on them, then the roots must have rotten from too wet.
    Paul Mozarowski.

• Carol Redburn
    3 years ago

I have A cutting that put out small leaves and my husband knocked it off by mistake, I re potted it But no roots, the stem bottom is still green, will it still take? Any help please x

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

If the bottom is green, there's hope. You have nothing to lose by trying. which i hope you have by now! : )

• nisha daniel
    3 years ago

My rose cuttings have sprouted new set of leaves after almost 1 month and now the leaves are drooping or wilting off at the sprout. What could be the reason? I have simply left them covered and not watered much. There is enough moisture in the setup and the potting mix isn't too dry nor too wet. But still the leaves are wilting off. I have other cuttings in the same setup which has also sprouted new leaves and do not want them to wilt off. But I do not know what is going wrong. This is my 2nd attempt to propagate roses and the same issue had occurred the first time too. Please help

3 years ago

Where do you live? Are these outside? ...in the sun? I do not use lids outside, but we are very humid with a lot of rain? Do you see roots in the bottom of the pots. I would slowly give them some air to acclimate to start until we have more infor to go on.

• HU-292805453
    3 years ago

Do I have to cover them up or do I just stick cutting in

• Stephen B
    3 years ago

I have exactly the same problem. leaves grow and then wilt. the cutting begins to blacken from the top, near the leaves and when the black reaches the level of the sprout, the sprout dies. I removed the plastic bottle after the leaves grew. they get some sun, but not too much these days,I am in Canada.

• Stephen B
    3 years ago

I discovered what is going on: there are no roots on the cuttings that die. the cutting grows leaves, but no root and dies. the cuttings with roots may or may not grow new leaves. when you pull up gently you feel resistance. if there is no root it comes out easily. do not pull too hard as the roots are very weak and tender.

• nisha daniel
    3 years ago

Mine had roots too but it just started wilting off. I am in Bangalore, India. The climate here is the best kind with no humidity, not too hot, nor too cold.

• vbromero1952
    3 years ago

I propagated my roses from cuttings and put a transparent dome from cut soda bottles. Leaves started to grow but after a month, started to have darkened the ends of the leaves and started to break off from the delicate stem. As there were several cuttings from the same pot, I decided to put each one separately and noticed they didn't have any roots. I repotted them putting again a root hormone. Tomorrow I will but back the dome again as it is raining now and cold. I put them inside a big plastic container and made a modified green house by using my patio table and covering that with plastic sheet. I am not sure what I am doing and if I will have a rooting later. Please advise.

• Alice nithya
    2 years ago

My Cuttings seem to grow leaves but no roots...i think i have to wait and see for another 4

• HU-235815611
    2 years ago

I started being more selective with my cuttings and try not to take ones whi h have buds starting to form as they steal energy from root growth. I have found ill get roots on cuttings that form leaves first but it takes a while.

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

I am having the same problem here because it is so warm, none of my roses are going dormant, they just keep growing. I read that timing is very important in propagating and if you hit the push buds cycle, it won't root as well. Also this TX Rose Rustlers propagating guide it really helpful. https://tlcfocus.com/paulbarden/hulse.html

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

I've been having a much higher success rate with my cuttings since I saving band-sized pots from rose purchases, filling them with a mixture of seed starter soil, pea gravel, small charcoal chunks, and chopped banana skins, then set the pot inside a plastic gallon ice cream container and cover with a plastic bag, preferably one of those produce bags from the vege aisle of the supermarket. The only ones that have failed to root for me with this method were the three that sat in my husband's pickup for a week of freezing temperatures during our house move, so I really can't blame them!!

2 years ago

joeywyomingz4b Oh that is wonderful!!! I have some winter/hardwood cuttings in band pots of sand setting in the ground outside. I know a number of people in my climate and area have success this way, so I am hopeful.

What is your climate? And can you give us your seed starting mixture recipe percents or something? I think other people have used big glass cookie jars when instead of ice cream containers...ice cream sound yummier!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

@ann beck 8a ruralish WA I don't know that's it's a recipe, but I usually use leftover band pots, and fill one completely with damp potting soil, dump it out into a gallon ice cream container, add one small handful of pea gravel, one big handful of half-inch or so charcoal chunks left over from the grill, and 2 chopped banana skins. Mix it all well and divide between 2 band pots. It doesn't quite fill them but that's okay. Then I stick the cuttings in, and set the pots in the ice cream container (two will fit into a round gallon if you stretch it haha) and stick a plastic bag over the whole shebang. My climate is amazing for five months and frigid misery the other seven (zone 4 in Wyoming) so I take cuttings in fall and root them in the house over the winter.

2 years ago

Thanks...sounds really easy! Wish I had known you when I lived in ND for 2 years....I don't miss the winter although the boys learned to cross-country ski there and got to try it again this year on our record snows.

• cheekychick510
    2 years ago

Hey! A Canuck here in Ontario. Managed to root a couple of cuttings,now wondering do I continue to cover it or not not, how much under my grow light should it have, 8 or 12? it is in potting soil, will be grabbing horticultural soil tomorrow as the leaves are wilting. It is staying in my spare bedroom as it is Februay -23 so its damn cold. Thanks!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

I would ask why the leaves are wilting, is it overwatering, underwatering, or shock from the temperature? Or have you transplanted them into potting soil and it's shock from the move? If #1, I'd pull the cover and let it dry out a bit. Any of the other options, I'd keep the cover on to make the climate stay as steady as possible for it. Others may have better advice, but that's what I'd look at.

2 years ago

That is also the 1st hint on my cuttings that they have been infected with fungus nats. These monsters eat their tiny roots of cuttings and kill them. I've had 40 plants killed in 1 winter season because of this. I now water them with Water that have Mosquito dunks Dissolved in it. This is helped a lot but not perfect. The main thing is to have a quick draining soil with a lot of per light or something like that. Unfortunately I didn't have that when I took these cuttings in late October so I just tried my best with what I had. They love moisture and organics. It isn't a problem outside but once I bring them inside it seems to explode with them. Even a few or deadly.

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

To eliminate the fungus nats as an issue you might try putting some sticky fly tape over your cuttings and see if you catch anything.

2 years ago

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley Thank you! I had no idea that fungus gnats would attack rooted cuttings and cause wilt and killing them. I have had a few rooted cutting die in the last month....leafed out, then wilt and die. I did not water with mosquito bits, but I did try 1/3 hydrogen peroxide with 2/3 water. I also just recently read that a low fan with help dry out the top of the soil and it can cut down the gnats laying eggs. Too wet of soil has been causing me problems. I also had aphids from the new growth and blew them off with compressed air outside.

cheekychick510 It takes a little bit to keep the cuttings alive after rooting, but keep it up. Rose Geek youtube has a number of ideas too. But this is more helpful to ask questions here.

2 years ago

Yes I have read that hydrogen peroxide is good also. I just find the mosquito dunks very easy to use I just put them in the gallon container fill it up And leave it To multiply during the week. This also helps the chlorine evaporate by leaving it out. That is good information about the fan. I can see how that would work. i dont have A problem with them outside, but I know Jin did And she used which is basically Mosquito dunk.

2 years ago

My issue is trying to get them to dry out, but I can spray just the top with hydrogen peroxide and not get it too wet. It prevents some...along with sticky traps.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    8 months ago

ann beck 8a ruralish WA. Thanks for the propogation link but it wont work.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!