Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold frame information

Posted by gerry_wyomingpa z6 NEPA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 22:59

Can a cold frame be used to start hardwood cuttings successfuly? I just built one, sad looking thing that it is, to stratify some seeds from peonies and then to put some rose seedlings in later in the year, so am thinking of trying cuttings in it? I think I remember reading that this is a good way to start them, but can't find anything in the old threads. Any advice?

Gerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold frame information

Gerry, I find the cold frame very successful. So far, we have only had one cold spell so they are actually growing. Usually they are just sitting there at this time of year. In the cold frame they get off to an earlier start. I like to have something growing during the winter.
Dawn

o

Dawn,

Thank you. Do you keep the cover open on yours when it is above freezing, and just close it for spells below freezing?

Gerry

o

Hi Gerry,
When the temperature is above freezing, I do uncover it. Mine is covered with plastic sheeting and depending on the temperature and the amount of cloud cover, I adjust how much I uncover it. If the sun is shining, the temperatures can get high even if the temperature is low. I con't want steamed greens. This evening, I will try and post some photos of my set up.
Dawn

o

Gerry,
Here are some photos of my set up

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dawn

o

Dawn,

I kinda like that set up, all the jugs to hold heat, of course there is no room for jugs in mine, well, I have a few. I am thinking of taking out some of the plants that can handle an average winter...sedum, hosta, the zone 4 type perennials. I will leave in the cuttings and peony seedlings, as well as a few of the more tmepermantal plants.

Thank you for sharing the pics and information.

Gerry

o

What is in the barrels? Can you make the sides of just about any material or is there specific stuff to use?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here