Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - January

daisy_me
17 years ago

Wow! Another year has passed, but that just means that Spring is that much closer. Hope everyone had a safe and fun New Year's Eve!

I'm glad to see from the sign up post that you ladies are already getting in the spirit! Again, if you do not know who your partner is for 2007 please e-mail me immediately. As a reminder, you have until the 15th of the month to send a card, e-mail, note, letter, box, whatever you'd like, to your pal. And recipients, if you do not hear from your pal in some way, shape, or form by the 25th of the month please don't hesitate to e-mail me. It's the rules of this swap that keep it running so smoothly. :-)

Susan--I'm glad you got the box I sent in December. Just a little treat for the holidays! Keep an eye out for another box soon!

Thanks again for signing up, and let the swap officially begin!

Comments (55)

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Deb- Your package was mailed this morning! I posted the DC# on the QOTM thread because I combined the two. I hope you enjoy your goodies.

Have a great weekend!
    Andrea

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Kelli!! Thanks! I got the package today and what perfect timing as today is my birthday! It was great to have a box with goodies to open. I am having a bit of trouble typing because I am wearing my moisturizing gloves with that DELICIOUS smelling lotion underneath. I am in love with the scent. I hope you got some too. The wall calendar and pocket calendar will of course come in very handy and they are so pretty. Definitely something to brighten up my winter days. Can't wait to get in the tub with the bubble bath which has that same wonderful smell - Japanese Blossom. Some great seeds with very fitting names... you are so clever! Marigold 'Snowball,
    California Poppy 'Creamsicle', Dianthus Arctic Fire, and Radish 'White Icicle' - Ive been wanting to try that one. I do believe I've got a theme garden going here! And last but certainly not least and whole bag of York Peppermint patties MMMMMMMMMMMM. I love em.

I can't think you enough for such a wonderful box. I am getting my pal's box all ready to go out on Monday. Watch out Norma!

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Nightnurse1968, I am barely making it in time, but here's my wish that you have a Happy Birthday!
    You have a great pal with Kelli - she sent to me last year and was a wonderful pal.

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, nightnurse! Hope your day was filled with many joys and the year ahead holds beautiful blooms and many blessings!

~Dee

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Awwwwwwww Thanks for the birthday wishes Jeanne and Dee :-) I noticed a typo above. That was Japanese Cherry Blossom scent! Smells soooooooo good.

• galium
    17 years ago

nightnurse

Mariann

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Happy Belated birthday nightnurse - hope it was a good one!

Yikes, how can it be January 6th already!! It's a beautiful sunny day here, but more winter-like than it has been in days. We've had temps in the 50's, and today just the high 30's. I haven't yet started my winter sowing, but am getting my seeds organized, as well as supplies.

Kelli, do you have a list of birthdays for the group?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Alicia

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Nightnurse!

Alicia,
    It's been such a strange winter! It snowed once so far! Usually, we have already had several major blizzards by now! I didn't start winter sowing yet either, and am still collecting some supplies. When are you starting? I'm never quite sure on the exact date (or when to start). Last year was my first year winter sowing and I only did tomatoes, peppers.

Have a nice weekend!
    Deb

• raggedyann161420
    17 years ago

Kelly,
    I'm not in your swaps, but..........
    I'm sure I traded with you in 2005. I belive I was the one that sent you Tiffany's Godzilla and it got lost in the mail, but you did recieve it. I offered to send you another, but you told me to wait and see. Well...........
    My question is, Is the hosta doing ok? and if it isn't I would be happy to send you another in the spring. I do need your address again if you don't mind to add to my list because I was off line from Jan- October of 2006, and while it was too late in the season to send another, and me losing your address with computer problems I never got back to you last year.
    Well, I just want to thank you again, and you can be sure that I was more than satisfied. Afterall, you were the one that sent me extra's for it.

I hope to do more trading with you in the future, and I sure do owe you one for the nice trade.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Have you all seen the new updates on hardiness zones? I am no longer zone 4 but zone 5! hmmmmmm....maybe I can get a butterfly bush to live now?

~Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: hardiness zone maps

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Thanks Mariann, Alicia and Deb for the birthday wishes. It was a good day :-) It's my 39th UGHHHHHHHH! Might be the last one I celebrate hehehehe. Just Kidding! I will just have to get use to being umm More Mature.

I haven't started any wintersowing yet either because we have had such rainy weather. I just haven't had the opportunity to even think about rummaging outside with soil, etc. I don't think there is an absolute date, but I know in the Wintersowing forum a lot start on the Winter Solstice (Dec 21st). I think the main thing is that for those seeds that need a winterchilling you give them enough time to get that otherwise you start them when you are ready. For my annuals I typically start them in little covered to-go containers in March or so. Otherwise I find they come up too fast and get too big for their containers before its really time to plant out. I probably need bigger containers!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Boy, I seem to have dropped my hostess duties this week....sorry about that folks, won't happen again. :-) Life got a little in the way this week....

First off, happy belated Birthday to Susan/Nightnurse! Sorry I didn't say that sooner. I do have a little present for you but I'm having a hard time finding a box it will fit in. I'm hoping to have it mailed this week.

Our Birthday List.....

Nightnurse1968 Jan 5
    Daisy_Me Feb 26
    Faintheart Feb 26 (my favorite day!)
    Sandlapper Rose Mar 29
    Bigmama4ever May 4
    Abcgirltx May 19
    Galium Jul 17
    Etravia Jul 27
    Andrea81 Aug 4
    Wynative Aug 23
    Pastvast Oct 3
    Debbya Dec 17
    Fabraholic216 Dec 22

Susan/Nightnurse, I'm so glad you liked the package. I did keep some of that scent for myself also. Good to hear that you like the York Peppermint Patties also, some people just don't like them, I can't imagine why. Hee hee!

Jeanne/Sandlapper, gee shucks, you're making me blush. You were a great pal to send to so you made it really easy. ;-)

Annie/RaggedyAnn, wow! Good memory! So far so good on the hosta, it seems to be sleeping through the winter just fine. I'll send you an e-mail....

I hope everyone else is doing well. It's been rainy here but it seems to be clearing up a little today. I'm starting to see buds on some of the trees and bushes, I just hope a late freeze doesn't set anything back. Still need to get my wintersowing going as well....I'm running late this year.

• andrea81
    17 years ago

I received Marie's package today! She sent me a really neat welcome sign that you can change the decor for the season. A set of angel notecards and envelopes. A heart plaque with flowers, birdhouse, etc. which I already hung in my kitchen ;-) A 2007 calendar which is really neat. And, some homemade fish soap for my two little boys! They both loved it, and had to play in the bath with it tonight :-) I think my 4 (almost 5) year old was just as excited to have a package arrive as I was! Thank you so much Marie :-) You are an awesome Garden Buddy to have.

Hugs,
    Andrea

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Norma, your package will be shipped tomorrow! Delivery confirmation # 01038555749985219579 Hope it arrives quickly. :-)

Kelli, thanks for the list that will come in handy and don't worry about my bday. Your package arrived on The Day and contained many fabulous things. It was a great present.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Andrea's package arrived!
    Andrea sent a cute little fairy, and a "D" notebook (that hangs from a key chain).

Thanks Andrea!

Deb

• bigmama4ever
    17 years ago

pal, you dont know the good your pakage is going to do, when it arrives..and happy b day..steph your is going out on friday.. norma

• wynative
    17 years ago

Andrea ~ So glad you and your boys enjoyed the package. Have a great month :)
    marie

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

I am so bad - getting impatient to find out who will be my sending pal this year. Come out, come out, wherever you are... Can I get a hint? LOL

{{gwi:1233335}}

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Deb, I think January is a fairly common time for a lot of the folks who winter sow to start, at least for perennials. And later for annuals, depending on the best time to put them out in your area. I'm all confused this year (so what else is new!) since I've got to get used to the difference now between Chicagoland planting times as opposed to Dallas, Texas! So it will be trial and error for me. Plus I will be growing some seeds in the greenhouse as well as wintersowing.

Mariann, I have not yet finished getting your package together for January, was hoping to get it in the mail today. We leave for Mexico tomorrow, and I won't be back until late the 16th. So I may be just a little late this month. And Jeanne, I know you said you've sent something to me, sorry I haven't responded to your email. If it comes in after today, we have someone house and dog-sitting so your mailing will be fine.

Y'all have a great day!

Alicia

• galium
    17 years ago

Alicia,
    Enjoy your trip to Mexico... That's find if the box is late. Don't rush. We are going to Florida Feb. 3rd. I love it. We stay right on the beach of the gulf coast.

I started my winter sowing in Dec. Unfortunately it's been so warm that I've held off doing any more. I'm still on the letter A from my seed box. From what I've heard it's suppose to be unseasonably warm in some areas until spring. We'll see.

Have a great day,
    Mariann

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanne/Sandlapper Rose! It's me your pal! I mailed you a package on Sat. so you should be getting it soon! I'm sorry I haven't posted to you before. I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago, but I guess it didn't go through. I'll try again soon. Hope you are well and get your package soon!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Fabraholic216

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Hi, Stephanie -
    I am excited to know who you are and looking forward to getting to know you. The e-mail message you sent never made it to me - obviously. Anyway, I am sending you a message so hopefully you can just e-mail back and it won't get lost ---- that is assuming my e-mail makes it to you.
    Does that make any sense?
    Happy New Year!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Alicia, have a good trip. There is nothing that will spoil in your package and it is too early to send plants so don't worry a bit about it.

Jeanne

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

((((((((Norma))))))

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Kelli,
    I mailed out your package yesterday, USPS #0306 1070 0001 7512 1422.

Deb

• bigmama4ever
    17 years ago

got my box today got a calander with beutifull flowers, dishcloths with blue morning glorys, but the best were a string of lights , and susan they look great when they are lighted. and 100grand grand kids took care of them.. tulips are planted...and ill read the book when i go to bed will probably get some ideas for my garden. my box is going out tomorow fri. everything was great, thanks pal!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Sending a thank you to Stephanie. Your package arrived today. Thanks so much for the cute friendship card - that means a lot that you would make one for me - and the seed packets are great. I am especially interested in the Candy Cane Zinnias. I grew some 2 or 3 years ago and really liked them. I think I have a "thing" for striped flowers! LOL Also, it was great that you enclosed a picture of you and your family. We used to go to Disney World with our daughters when they were young - sure brings back memories!
    Anyway, have a good weekend and thanks again. It is supposed to be a really nice weekend weather-wise here in our area.

{{gwi:1233339}}

• pastvast
    17 years ago

Thanks to my pal. I received the package she sent me yesterday. Inside were some pretty stickers and a ceramic plate with a pink daisy like flower on it. There was also a little something for my heels. My feet (and back and knees) could definitely use a little TLC... Aaron's running me ragged!

WYnative: your package will be mailed tomorrow. I had some difficulty finding your address, but all is better now. I swear... no one warned me that motherhood would instantly lower your IQ!! =(

I love to wintersow... however, it's been above freezing most of the time. So, I figure I can procrastinate a bit without problem. It's been so warm that some of my daffodils are already up 2-3 inches. I hope they survive if/when winter arrives!

Have a good January everyone!
    -Stephanie

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Hi, I am new to these forums and would like to get in on some swaps. How do I do that?

This one sounds good.

Thanks,
    Susan in NC

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Norma, so glad the package arrived in good shape! Those lights were so neat, but I can't imagine what they look like lit up. Maybe you could send a pic? Hope the tulips do well for you. They should be pre-chilled and if you got them in the ground quick they should bloom for you. I know in your climate you might not otherwise bloom good.

• wynative
    17 years ago

Stephanie ~ I didn't know who my send pal was ~ so glad it is you! Good to hear that Aaron is keeping you busy LOL How old is he now? Your IQ doesn't go down due to motherhood, it is just lack of sleep that makes you mind all fuzzy hehehe but it is so worth it! I'll let you know when the package arrives.

Marie

• wynative
    17 years ago

Stephanie ~ my package arrived with the wonderful letter! Thanks so much - I love to get letters. The herbs are just what I needed. I 'WS' for the first time last year and had 'okay' results. Learned alot and am excited about trying again this year. The address/everything book will be a big help with that. I tried remembering everything about my WS pots last year, and that didn't work out very well.

Sorry to hear that your time off is almost up - Aaron is the perfect age for snuggling - it broke my heart to have to miss even a minute of that time when my lil' darlin's were that age. Then they turned 2 and I couldn't wait to go to work, when they were having one of
    their 'special' days LOL An hour commute? YUCK - I have 20 minutes and whine about that most days :)

Thanks for the gifts & enjoy your week,
    Marie

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

I got a package from Norma today and it is AWESOME! She sent me 2 "Light Bulb Bugs" that she made. They're soooo cute! She also sent me some yummy cookies, a hoya vine cutting, some pretty blue earrings for my birthday, and some gladiola and tulip bulbs. I've never tried tulips or hoya before and I'm looking them up tonight. Sooooo fun! Thanks so much Norma! I love it all!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Looks like everyone has really gotten into the swing of things, packages are flying back and forth!

I received a package yesterday from my pal, Debbya. Thanks, Deb! I can't wait to try the orange scented soap and lotion, I'm a sucker for anything fruit scented. The seeds will come in handy right now, I was just about to get my winter sowing started (finally!). And the crocus notepad will be well used. :-) Thanks again for a wonderful first box! I'm looking forward to getting to know you this year.

Susan/Nightnurse, I'm still trying to find a box that fits your B-day present. It's not odd shaped or anything, just larger than the priority mail boxes. I swear I'll have it in the mail soon!

A few people have inquired about joining this swap. At this time, we're not accepting new participants, but as soon as that changes I will certainly let you know. :-)

• galium
    17 years ago

Just popped in to say hi. It's 20 degrees here. Big change from 60 last week. At least there was sunshine today. Been really missing that. Hope to do the rest of my winter sowing before we leave for Florida.

Mariann

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Jeanne, I received your lovely box when I returned from Mx. We got home yesterday around 2 a.m. and I was sort of zoned from lack of sleep but I did open your box. My sweetie wanted to know as soon as he got home what you sent. He thought it was nice of you to include the treats for the dogs, and they thank you too. I loved the white theme - snowman pot holder and pillow are sooo cute, did you make them? Thanks also for the "snowman's garden" sign. Chocolate kisses, snowman peeps and white coneflower seeds rounded out the great box. I loved it all!

Mariann, your box goes in the mail tomorrow.

Alicia

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Kelli your so sweet to worry yourself with my bday present. I don't know what shape it is, but have you ever seen those long triangular shaped priority mail boxes? They don't always have them at the post office, but it's worth asking. I have squeezed things in them when they wouldn't quite fit in the regular boxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Priority mail boxes

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Oh Maggie??? There's a package on the way for you! I mailed yesterday...my apologies for being late! With taking some time off from work for the holidays and then being ill, my intentions just didn't get done as soon as I would have liked!

Hopefully it will be there for you tomorrow! DC# is 0305 1720 0001 2490 5324 I just checked and its not in the system yet...grrrrrrrr.

It's snowing here this morning and we have about 5 inches of new snow from overnight. I want to go to Florida with Mariann! ;)

~Dee

• etravia
    17 years ago

Faintheart - no problem. Hope your feeling better. We had a dusting of snow overnight. It's 28 outside - burrrr. The cardinals look so pretty against the snow. I don't have to go anywere today, so I'm going to hibernate for a day! Maybe WS a few containers - wear my house slippers all day & relax!
    Maggie

• galium
    17 years ago

Dee,
    Sorry you've been sick. Seems like everyone I know is ill with colds, bronchitis and intestinal problems. My future son-in-law is just getting over a horrible bronchitis.

I'm looking forward to Florida too. Palm trees swaying in the breeze. Can't wait.

Take care,
    Mariann

• etravia
    17 years ago

Oh Dee! Thank you for the wonderful book for Indiana gardeners! It has so much information. I can sit & study these kind of books for hours! And my garden angel will be watching over me too, so the seeds you sent will just grow & grow! This exchange has really helped my winter blues.
    Maggie

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Maggie, you are most welcome!!! Make a little snowman soup...lol...and have fun planning the garden. ;)

Hugsssss,
    Dee

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Mariann,

Don't forget to pack the camera! Since I'll be here in the colddddddd midwest, you have to get that pic on the beach to make me even more envious! lol

Seriously...have a wonderfullll time and enjoy those palm trees and warm breezes on the beach!

Hugsss,
    Dee

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Mariann - when do you leave for Florida? I'm a baaaad girl, didn't get your package in the mail today. Sorry about that, sometimes I just can't get my act together. There's nothing in there that will suffer from a few days outside anyway, but you should hopefully receive it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Alicia

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Oops, I meant to say I didn't get your package in the mail UNTIL today.

• galium
    17 years ago

Alicia,
    I received your box today. Thank you so much for all the wonderful gifts.

I received a Bath Gift Set- Jasmine & Ylang scented with bath gel, shower gel, lotion and a bath fizzer. Don't know how you know this but I looooooove hot chocolate. A can of Ghiradelli Chocolate Hazelnut Mix, and packets of hot chocolate mix 2 Raspberry and a Mint. Also a bag of choc. eggs and After Eight Mints. 2 scrumptious smelling candles and herbal tea bags for my eyes. Plus Lamb's Ears seeds. I don't have any Lamb's Ears.

You are such a sweet heart.

I leave for Florida on the 3rd. will be back on the 16th. I'm getting in gear but have a lot to do before I leave like finish my winter sowing. I had to put it off because the weather was so warm. Now it's getting into winter weather.

Mariann

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, Winter has finally arrived here as well, we've consistently been in the 30s which is a big change from the 50s-60s we were getting a few weeks ago. I'm putting out some of my winter sowing containers this week so hopefully it will stay cold for a while so they don't sprout too early. So far I only have 2 planted (one with some of the seeds I received from my wonderful pal!), but hey, it's progress!

So, vacation time, huh? I'm jealous. Wish I could come! I just want to be somewhere warm for a change.....

Susan--I got your B-day present in the mail this week. I ended up taping 2 Priority Mail boxes together to fit it. The "tubes" you talked about just weren't big enough, the item was more of a rectangle. Well, you'll see soon enough. Hope you enjoy it!

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Kelli I got the package!!! Woohooo we are gonna fool those little squirrelies. :-) Thank you so much. I love feeding the birds and we do have trouble keeping the squirrels out of the food. My DH thought it was pretty cool too...he is the one that fills them for me. What a wonderful surprise! Plusssssssss it came with binoculars!!!!!! Can't wait until this weekend to spy on some birdies. I had a new guy come to the feeder when we had cold weather the other day. A red breasted sap sucker. Very brightly colored fella. Thanks so much again. You really didn't need to go so far out of your way to do that but it's much appreciated. Your packaging job was perfect.

Hey...PS..My last name doesn't have an h in it :-) It's Tompkins! It's one of those names that people often add or drop letters from so no big deal. Just thought I'd let you know.

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Susan! Sorry about the last name. That's what happens when I get in a hurry and try to use my really lousy memory! Glad you got the package and liked it. I'm going to have to buy myself one of those feeders--it's the best "anti-squirrel" design I've seen.

Hope everyone else is well. I was right earlier, winter is finally here. It's been cold, cold, cold! And the forecast for this week is not looking very good....cold, snowy....yuck! Those of you that went/are going to someplace warmer, share those pictures! Give the rest of us some hope that we're going to eventually thaw out! LOL!

• wynative
    17 years ago

Andrea,

Your FEBUARY package is on its way conformation# 0306 2400 0001 8223 2306. Posted here so that I wouldn't forget to since the new one isn't up yet.

Have a GREAT Valentines month!
    Marie