Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

UPDATE: Update #1 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

rosepedal
15 years ago

Mark I made us a new thread. Sorry ginger was gone a while back. I have you covered on the dahlias. Barb

Comments (150)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sandlapper Rose, I feel bad that Markcase is going through so much work and is not able to get a ginger...please send the ginger you promised to me to Mark instead. Thanks Kim

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

It was rosepdeal that had the ginger...please pass mine along to mark instead. Kim

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim

OOps if you go back in the thread and read. I ran out of ginger when you initally asked for it...Kinda hard to keep up with the thread...It is understandable :) Barb

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Oh thanks anyway Barb...like I said I feel bad Mark isn't getting one and wanted to pass mine off. Kim

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! Your remedies worked! I am better now but still sick.

Mark- It looks exactly like that winged elm.
    Sandlapper rose- May I have some blueberries?

Ladygreensleeves can I have some cuttings of your lady margaret passion flower, and white angel trumpet.

I have alot of winged elm cuttings if anyone wants some.

Kamil

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I have the following people down for blueberry cuttings:
    ladygreensleeves
    angelady
    sassybutterfly
    plant_one_on_me

Actually, I think I should just offer to send the blueberries to 3 more people - making a total of 7 people instead of the 10 I said originally. Wendy asked a good question. You do not need male and female with blueberries but most blueberries do best if you have two varieties that bloom near the same time. That being said, I will send the blueberry cuttings in sets of two - so you will have two different varieties. That is why I am offered to fewer people. I'm sorry I don't know what kind I have. They were planted even before we bought the property so they have been there for maybe 25 years or longer. They grow very easily for us.

Now, here is what else I should be able to send. Keep in mind that things that have already been pruned and stuck in a container may decide to decay before we mail. I hope not, but if they "bite the dust" I will not send a partially rotted cutting. You won't want it. Most of the things I am listing are not pruned yet so I can do it right before I send.

I have Clematis 'Jackmanii" - this one is already trimmed
    and I have enough to send to 3 people.

Rose cuttings: Veilchenblau (4 cuttings)
    Crepscule (4 cuttings)
    Jeanne d'Arc (2 cuttings)

Chaste tree - Vitex (3 cuttings)
    Night blooming cereus (1 cutting)
    Kerria japonica 'Golden Guinea' (3 cuttings)
    Angelwing Begonia - these have begun to root already (2 plants)
    Holly - these grow in our woods, I will try to send two from different plants and hopefully you will get a male and a female - the birds have started to eat the berries so it is beginning to be a bit harder to tell one from another (4 sets of cuttings)
    St. John's Wort (2 cuttings) Pothos (houseplant - 2 cuttings)

Donkey's Ears (inside for the winter - Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri - 1 leaf for rooting)

I suspect I have a few more things to offer once more becomes visible outside and I think about this a bit more.
    Mark, would you like a hidden ginger (very tall with green leaves with a white flower)? If you would, I will try to find a rhizome and include it when I mail. I would offer more, but they will not begin to grow this early so it is basically a shot in the dark to see if I can locate one.

Does anyone have a cutting or a division of cast iron plant (Aspidistra elatior)? If so, I would love it.

Have a good day, everyone!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I added kamiljablo who posted while I was typing so now I can offer blueberry sets to 2 more people.

Jeanne

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

Hello
    Sandlapper, Could you put me down for a blueberry please? thanks, jenny

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

sandlapper_rose - May I have a start or cutting of Jackmani clematis and Night blooming cereus?

OH my I also have LOTS of American Holly and can offer unlimited cuttings of both male and female.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I have been searching tips on propagating and thought these were great tips to pass along.

When taking cuttings...

Make sure there are at least 2 leaf nodes making bottom cutting at least 2-3 inches below the bottom node.

Cut straight across the top and on a diagonal on the root end, this way you will know which was is up. It is critical not to get the top confused with the bottom the cutting has to be rooted in its original top-bottom orientation as it was on the plant when you took the cutting.

Put into rooting hormone immediately when cut, if you wait even just a few minutes the plant may not uptake some of the hormone.

Of course check for proper propagation technique before cuttings are taken.

Kim

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Jeanne/sandlapper_rose, may I have a cutting of the Clematis "Jackmanii", and the Veilchenblau, Crepscule, and
    Jeanne d'Arc roses? If so, that would be awesome!
    I've got you down for the Burning Bush.

I've decided to wait another day on the bulbs to see which ones are still good, so I'll post those tomorrow.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Okay, catching up here -
    dirtdiggin - I have you down for a cutting of Jackmanii and the night blooming cereus
    dan_the_mailman, I have you down for Jackmanii, Veilchenblau, Crepscule, and Jeanne d'Arc.
    I added cottageflowers to the list for a set of blueberry cuttings. One set left to go!

BTW, I may have more of the plants that I listed - and others - as I go along. I need to read to see how thick the cuttings need to be on the roses and blueberries. Also, I keep the night blooming cereus in the garage for the winter and I looked at it today and can tell the new growth has been damaged from our cold nights but the bigger leaves are still fine. I will leave it at the one cutting that has been claimed by dirtdiggin for now, but I will evaluate that and other things later to see if I can offer more.

If I find that thinner sections of the roses and blueberries will root, I may be able to offer more. Will take a look. Last time I looked things up it talked about taking cuttings that are the diameter of a pencil and if I have to cut that far down, it will be limited. I really think they root when smaller than that. Any input?

Jeanne

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Sandlapper rose I have you covered for the passionflower. Could I get Clematis jackmanii, rose Crepscule, Angelwing B. and blueberry

Grolikecrazy - Added var. ivy to your list

Dan - Added rosemary, rose campion and zygo cacti

dirtdiggin - Thanks for adding the Asparagus

ladygreensleeves - Add me for the Lady margaret passionflower if you have any left.

BTW - My passionflower that I will be sending out is Passiflora caerulea - Blue Passionflower

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

greenthumbgrow - I have you down for Clematis jackmanii, rose Crepscule, Angelwing B. and blueberry.
    That passionflower will be appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Jeanne

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Well, I just figured out what my houseplant is! I searched after seeing Jeanne's post and here it is:

Wikipedia info & pic for Epipremnum aureum

It's an Epipremnum aureum. It looks just like the pic really. It has light yellow variegation. The description also is right on. That is too cool! I have enough for two more people to grab, if they want it.

Wendy (sassybutterfly_2008) - That big rosemary bush of yours has been calling my name. Please, may I have a cutting? :-) I hope you get to feeling better soon, girl.

Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) - The Jeanne d'Arc roses are beautiful, Jeanne! May I have a cutting, please? Does it look like this: Jeanne d'Arc Rose picture? I really want a white one that can be trained up a trellis or is a climbing rose and this looks like it might be.

Kim - That's great info on taking cuttings. I am glad you posted that. I have had a hard time once in a trade figuring out which end was up of the cutting. If the top is a straight cut and the bottom is a diagonal, you never have to guess. I also didn't know how critical it was to put it into hormone that second rather than even a few minutes. This is VERY helpful info! Thanks!

Blessings,
    Angela

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Jeanne-
    Can I have:
    Veilchenblau rose
    Crepscule rose
    Jeanne d'Arc rose

Thanks, Kamil

PS: I have ajuga reptans if anyone wants some.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Jeanne ~ May I have a cutting of the Veilchenblau Rose? That one looks lovely! I'd also love an angelwing begonia, Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri Donkeys ears if still available? ty! Not sure if there is any Jackmanii left but I would really love a cutting of this if there is.. I've been trying to grow that one from seed for 3 yrs now w/ no luck!

Angela ~ I have you down for SEVERAL cuttings or rosemary...lol!

Kamil ~ I would love some ajuga! p.s. your tomato seeds are almost ready to be mailed.

Thanks,
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Forgot to post this, I have 3 offers of 2bulbs each of Red Spider lilies. Very cool flower!

Thanks!
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I think we are contagious here. I am coming down with a cold also.

Jeanne/Sandlapper - Could you add the Jeanne d'Arc rose to mine also. I just looked it up and it is beautiful (and white which I am looking for)

Sassy - oohhh add me for a red spider lily pleaseeee

New offer: Also have some new stuff I will be posting tonight or tommorrow. I have to figure out the name of one of them as I can't find the tag.. errr STAY TUNED.

BTW - My neighbor just brought me over a BEAUTIFUL orchid it was yellow with maroon on the lip it was gorgeous. Just though I would share as I was soo excited. I love orchids and I 'only' have about 9 of them. But I guess you can never have too many of what you love. Although dh is convinced I need to stop bringing plants home.

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Wendy (Sassybutterfly),

No, I didn't advertise it. To be honest, didn't know there were the other two forums. I'll try to get over there and do that,.... unless someone does that ahead of me!

Hope you feel better REAL soon!

Kim, I appreciate the sentiment.. very much

Jeanne, the hidden ginger sounds interesting. My son likes the picture. Yes if you can.

Mark

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

Sassy could I have the last set of spider lily bulbs? thanks, jenny.l\

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Well, I can tell what the popular plants were! LOL
    Sassybutterfly, I have you down for Donkey's Ears, an Angelwing Begonia, and Veilchenblau. It's a beautiful rose but can get huge and only blooms once a year. The color is a beautiful smokey bluish-purple. The 3 Jackmanii cuttings were already claimed, but I was being conservative in case some of the cuttings start to rot. If they all look good in 4 weeks, I will add one for you. Okay?
    Angelady, I added a Jeanne d'Arc cutting to your list. It is a beautiful rose but mine is small and has not grown like in the picture. That is why I can only offer 2 cuttings total. Wish mine did look like that. I'm glad you found out the name of your houseplant. They are very easy to grow.
    Greenthumbgrow and Kamiljablo, sorry the Jeanne d'Arc cuttings are already taken. However, Kamiljablo, I will tag a Crepscule cutting for you.
    I think that's it. Gee, this list changes every time I log on. Mark, you are keeping everyone busy!
    Jeanne

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Wendy I would love one offer of the red spider lillies. I hope you are feeling better. The flu really sucks. The tylenol flu medicine works very good. I thought I would mention it if you havent tried it....Thanks Wendy!

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Wendy,

Any chance of me getting one of the red spider lilly?

Kamil, may I have some ajuga?

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Angela - I wondered if it was a pothos. They are almost impossible to kill. They come in a golden verigated (the pic shown), plain green and a light whitish or minty green and dark green verigated called a king pothos. Many restaurants in our area have them along their doorways etc cause they grow so beautifully.

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like I missed out on another one. I get so busy posting all the wants and offers, that it gets gone! :(

I know when I posted, I said postage of $10.35. Folks, you may need to upgrade to a large flat rate box. Now, I PACK very well and will try to keep things to a small box, but some of you are really racking up quite a box! That is great. Please work with me on postage. OK?

Mark

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

NEW OFFERs:

1 yucca baby plant
    4 African Violet Leafs - Dark Purple yellow stigma
    3 Unknown houseplant.
    I will post what this is when I can get hold of my motherinlaw. She gave me clipping from hers and it has gotten babies.

sandlapper_rose - Could you add me for the last Veilchenblau rose instead then. That one is beautiful also. Thanks.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Mark,

If you want anything on my list just let me know as I would willingly let you take a couple you missed out on. I know you have been superbusy with keeping track of all this. You've been a GREAT host and I am sure everyone would agree with me on that.

Tammy

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Greenthumbgrow- Can I have:
    yucca baby plant
    African Violet Leaf- Dark Purple yellow stigma
    Unknown houseplant

Mark sure you can have some ajuga!

I can divide my misty rose anthurium if anyone wants it, but only one division.

Kamil

PS: Do I have to root the cuttings I take?

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I would love your rose anthurium.
    And I got you down for Yucca, African violet, and unknown.

I do not think you have to root them it can be cuttings. I am just making sure I let people know if its a cutting so they will be ready to root it when it arrives. Although mose of mine are rooted I do have a couple I am sending as cuttings. I am making sure I add root hormone before sending the clipping though.

Tammy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

greenthumbgrow, there is a Veilchenblau tagged for you.
    Jeanne

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Good, because rooting things would be a problem, at least until I starve myself from lunch for a couple of weeks to buy some growlights. Right now I have light issues, and space issues. But hopefully when I get more lights everything will be better. Right now I have carnivores to the left of me, the anthurium above me, and luckily no plants to the right of me, ONLY a forest of boxes and packing materials. Which reminds me I got some packing to do!

Kamil

PS: I have more Star Of Bethlehem Bulbs

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Mark- I figured it would end up being a larger box lol. But will we all need it? I'm most certain I will need the larger box for all my goodies :) Will probably need to use the larger box to ship the cuttings, starts and bulbs to you as well.

I was also going to post that I have two types of blackberries as several have asked about berries, but I want to post the WARNING First!! Be sure to look them up as they are amazing when it comes to fruit and supply huge crops, but they are also very difficult to keep under control. I have the himalayan and the evergreen in unlimited supply. They are extremely prolific and will supply many many gallons of berries. We use them for jam, pies, brandy and wine...they are delicious, but again...be sure to look them up before you get them started if you want any.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Jeanne - Thank you putting my name down on these two things. As for the size of the cutting, I don't think it has to be pencil sized. I read that it's preferable, too, but I know that people root things that are larger and smaller than pencil sized. Any more input from anyone else on this who's actually done it themselves?

Tammy - I hope you get well soon, too! Congrats on getting that beautiful orchid!

Mark - I already figured that we would most likely have to have more in postage. How much is the largest flat rate box?

Kamil - I don't think you have to root the cuttings you take, but it would certainly be helpful to dip them in rooting hormone right away. From what I understand, it will help it take if you do it right away as soon as you take the cuttings.

MORE TO OFFER:
    I still have a couple more offers of the Crassula lycopoidiodes that I showed the picture of in the first thread. I had 3 takers after saying that I had enough for 2 or 3 people:

kamiljablo
    sassybutterfly_2008
    zinaray

I have verified that some of it is rooting even without hormone powder, so I am confident that I can offer two more shares now. It will be one small rooted plant/cutting most likely for everyone who gets one. If yours isn't rooted, I will send 2 cuttings, but I think every last one has rooted in the pot I put them in! Some have already grown 50%, so I might be able to offer even more in the near future. For now, I have 2 more offers!

Toni (dirtdiggin) - I would love a few of each of the blackberries, the himalayan and the evergreen. THANKS! I really wanted some prolific berries!!!

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Ok, I am missing one. who had rose anthurium to offer so I can add it to the spreadsheet?

I was hoping for that red spiderflower. My son (ALL BOY and 11 years old) wants the plants with creepy names for a small garden.

I can wait for the Jerusalem artichoke unless one comes up sooner. Our ground isn't frozen right now. I was real bummed when I saw the moles had had dinner on my ticket...

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Dirtdiggin- I would love some blackberries!

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

I offered the anthurium! AND! I just looked at it and! I can offer one more!

Kamil

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Hi Dirt, I would love a couple of both blackberry plants. I plant my berries in a buried 5 gallon bucket. Each plant can grow to the extent to the edge of the pot. That way they are contained. When I expand, I plant another pot!

Angel, I would like the Crassula lycopoidiodes. It will go good in my 'desert' garden.

The large flat rate box is $13.95. I believe some will be fine with a small, some will need a large. We still have a month to go! Oh, boy! I am glad I have the picnic shelter for doing this on March 14th!

ok, I figured it out: Kamil with the rose anthurium.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

dirtdiggin,

Is the evergreen blackberry a thornless? I did read up on them and the himilayan is supposed to have some pretty wicked thorns so I don't want those. The evergreen is a maybe if no thorns. I have some property up north that I would let go to a thornless bramble patch.

Kim

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mark take my red spider lillie... :) You deserve it for doing all of this...Barb

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

currently I still have available:

Rose Campion (A bunch)
    3 African Violet Leafs - Dark Purple yellow stigma
    2 Unknown houseplant. I will post what this is when I can get hold of my motherinlaw. She gave me clipping from hers and it has gotten babies.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I have enough Red Spider Lilies I can send Mark some extra spiderlilies for being such a wonderful host. :) I also have the offers set aside for greenthumb, rosepedal and cottageflowers.

I have unlimited 'common privet' cuttings to offer. Smells wonderful, makes a good hedge, tho I keep the ones here cut to look like a small tree.

Dirtdiggin ~ I would love some blackberry cuttings! Either type, both! lol, I'm not picky, kids just love the berries! :) And I have a perfect spot for them that if they get wild it'll be fine w/ me! :)

Greenthumb ~ would love an African Violet cutting if there's one left?

Kamil ~ would love 1 or 2 bulbs of Star of Bethlehem.. I've heard these lil guys are crazy invasive.. but I'm willing to try some in a pot! :)

Mark I'm fine w/ whatEVER the postage is! lol I have a paypal acct too so if that works I'm game as well.

I'm pretty sure the rhubarb and asparagus plants are all gone, but I am hoping someone can answer questions re: these for me. I actually have seeds for both.. but from what I understand it takes 2-3 yrs before you actually get food from the plants.. is that right?

I am looking over the property tomorrow.. I'm sure my mom had an oak leaf hydrangea.. just can't seem to remember where it was!

Thanks everyone for the get well wishes.. I'm working on it.

~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Rosepetal. I had told mark he could pick from my list and I did get those. Or if you want we could each get one. I believe she was going to send two to both of us.
    We could let Mark have 2
    and me and you both get 1 That would be fine with me so we could both have one.

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Great Sassy.

I just realize we were postin at the same time. So Keep me on for the spiderlilies I have really been wanting them but though I should give Mark 1st choice as he is doing a LOT of work.

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Wendy- ONLY 1 OR 2! I can send you 15!

Does anyone want a Misty Rose Anthurium? It has pink flowers and a shade loving house plant.

Kamil

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Okay, the Evergreen is not thornless, but has a forked leaf where the Himalayan has no lobes. Yes, the thorns on the himalayan are pretty hefty, much like a rose, but we learn to work around them. The berries are usually heavy out beyond the thorns. The Evergreen thorns are not as rose like as the himalayan and they aren't quite as extreme in taking over. Flavor wise, the Evergreens are a bit more acidic than the himalayans.

Just need a total count of each and I'll send them on their way when it's time :) These will be root cuttings and you'll have a 99.9% success rate with them.

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Wendy,

Rhubarb and asparagus both take at least 2 years to get a crop. The first year is the growing year. The second you can harvest some.

Thank you to everyone... I wasn't trying to whine... I really do appreciate the spiderflower bulbs..

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Odd request but worth a try...does anyone have anything with the name Jordan in it? My 4 year old granddaughter is an incredible gardener and my best gardening buddy. I would love to get her a special plant with her name in it or do you have any suggestions or heard of any? If you look at my blog you will see her picking melons. I kinda used her as slave labor in October after my surgery lol. She harvested what was left of my garden and bragged how she did it "all by myself". Kim

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Wendy- Asparagus has to be two year plants to produce any kind of quality spears. It also only lasts about 6 years. They recommend re-starting from seed, rooted starts etc, each year so as older plants die off, new ones are ready to take their place. Sent you and email.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Sassy - Got you down for the African violet

Mark - Just let me know how much you will need for my postage and I will be sure to send enough :-) Its well worth it. I think this is my fav. trade I have done.

You weren't whining. ;-) you deserve it and we all want you to have some of the plants you most want. And with all the work you are doing its hard to keep up. If you see anything else on my list that you are interested in just let me know so I know not to be expecting it.

Also I hope your tracking is better than mine because I kind lost track somewhere along the way so everyone just make sure what you are expecting from me is on marks sheet..

dirtiggin - I will gladly take a couple blackberry cuttings off you

OFFERS STILL OPEN:

2 African Violet Leafs - Dark Purple yellow stigma

2 Unknown houseplant - was a variegated philodendron *****

Blue Passion Flower - cuttings