Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishareflowers

Commercial Seed Swap part 2

It's that time of year again. I have been doing this swap since 2010, it was started by flwrs4evr the year or two before that.
This swap is for your LEFTOVER commercial seeds,you do not need full packages!

The RULES HAVE CHANGED so please read them carefully.

I'm posting a little bit early to allow time to copy packets or take out some seeds for yourself and send seeds in their original packages if you are NEW to the swap. Sadly, this will be required this year because last year a member sent in collected seeds marked as commercial! I know its a pain in the butt but it assures everyone playing true commercials.

Here are the rules:

1. COMMERCIAL SEEDS only (seeds that were purchased, not collected)

2. They must be seeds from 2013, 2014 or 2015

3. They cannot be dollar store type seeds (.29-.59.or .99 cent packages). I get most of my seeds are from online sources. I do pick some up at local grain stores but they are from NEseed which is an online company.

3a. There are NO MIXES allowed, zinnia, cosmos, bachelors buttons, marigolds and so on....( exception here would be if you had something from a players wishlist, I will allow that). Please mark it with their name and wish list item! I will see that it makes it in their bag.

5..Please do not send seeds that are known to have a short shelf life unless they are from this year.

5. There will be a 20 pack limit on VEGETABLE seeds this year. NO LIMIT ON FLOWER seeds. (I am doing this because I do not have a large personal stash of veggie seeds to fill in and make a great package for the veggie gardener)

6. No more than 3 packs of the same type of seed (please don't make 3 packets of the same seed with 5 seeds in each package)

7. If you send in all vegetable seeds, you will get back all vegetable seeds. I had a member send in all veggie seeds and request only flower seeds in return, this I cannot do. the same goes for flowers. I will return the same number of packets that you send in to be swapped.

8. Seed amounts, this is always a challenge. Please send what you would be happy to receive. I have purchased seeds that come with only 10 seeds to a package and shared only 5 seeds of that, However, I have also had seeds sent in with 3 packages of 10 mixed marigold seeds. This is not allowed and they will be returned. These are commercial seeds so know that you will not always get a full gw trade amount (25 seeds). It could be you only get 5 seeds of a perennial geranium because it was purchased with 10 seeds to begin with.

9. I will be posting a separate thread titled Commercial seed swap wish lists only. I ask that you put your seed wish list there for easier matching up for me when I am sorting seeds. I order a lot from swallowtail gardens, other players order from select seeds, T&M, Parks,summerhill. These are good places to start making wish lists from. The more you have on your list, the better chances you have of getting things you would like.

MAILING RULES:
SEEDS MUST REACH ME BY Feb,15th. The packages coming to me should include postage for the return ride home and enough for a delivery conf#. If you don't include enough for delivery conf#, I will not be responsible for your lost package.

I do send seeds from my garden IF they are on your wish list. This is a gift and not counted towards my contribution to the swap.

Seeds will be returned to you no later than March, 15th. This will allow you time to plant your new bounty!

Lisa

Comments (273)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

vala....buzzzzzzz!!

Lisa, you are the boss of this game. Shall vala and I just keep giving clues (more than one a day) and guessing (more than one a day)???

And Lisa, are you still in the kitchen?

Tata,

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention to the game! throw hints and guesses out all day long! I ordered Ping tung eggplant from your list {I may give a few seeds a try} so it will be your prize. I have perennial Geranium seeds for Val, you are both winners!!

The last few days of the swap are the worst as far as sorting goes. I get in last minute packages that need sorting. I empty each persons bag when the last envie comes in and gets sorted. I count and recount players return seeds {both flower and veg} and compare them to what they sent in to be sure that I exchanged properly. I pull doubles if I find that they probably wont be used, then I have to look for something to replace it with. I just toss in bonus seeds that are older or gifted seeds so they need to be pulled and not counted. I look at wish lists again to see if I have collected seeds on wants lists. I dislike the last few days! Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes. I was gabbing on the phone while doing it.

Janine sent in some zinnia mixes and some full packs{I broke them down to share}, naturegirl sent seeds to several people as gifts that were not counted and 7/8 packages of bonus mixes that were handed out and Alana sent some bulk packs that got broken down to share.

Thank you Alana, Sheryl and Janine for being so generous!

Primrose, if your looking at this. I have a package for you too!

I mailed the first set of packages!

Dawn, you did not enclose stamps for the ride home. It was $3.73 9114999944314355191687

Janine-9505511002255048554646. I'm so happy that I got lots of Lemon balm in for you!

Erica-9500111002255048531484. Erica, you would have been short 1.30 had I not been paying your postage.

Bluee- 9114999944314355191694, you were short .98

Fresc- 9114999944314355191618

Midwest- 9114999944314355191670. I don't know how Mary but your postage was to the penny!

Cghpnd, 9114999944314355191717, you were short 1.41

sunshinegal- 9114999944314355191700

I got my Bakers creek order so I should be able to pack and mail the rest of the packages tomorrow..

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Lisa

I appreciate ALL your efforts more than I can say! New assortment of seeds will be a definite brightener to help get me thru this snow! Sounds like you go above and beyond, but put too much pressure on yrself!

Let me know if IOU postage..I'm betting with all the extras I will! I will send right off to you!

Annie, are u John Denver!? I am exhausting my brain...we might have to give more specific clues or deadline !?? Will guess again after yr next clue unless I can't help myself :-)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val. It might not be because all of your packets were in original seed packets and will weigh more and lots, not all of oldies seeds are in tiny seed envelopes. we shall see tomorrow.lol

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I walked in the Post office and my NOT friend said "oh no"....He is so rude! It was mobbed in there for some reason so I only did 1 bag of packages. I'm hoping it will be less crowded tomorrow. I will go at lunch time when the good guy is there, He likes me because I give him plants in the spring when I'm dividing.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Lisa -- Thank you for all your hard work and thank you for the prize. Apparently I needed it! I'm not sure how I ended up so short on postage. But again, thank you very much. I'll be keeping my eye on the mail. I'm excited to see what new seeds I will get to grow. :)

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

, wow, thank you!!! Can't wait to see the flower seeds, that's so kind of you!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last package has been completed!

I had to wait for my Bakers creek order for a few last minute seeds to throw in certain envelopes.

Fresc, I'm happy to feed a flower addiction!

Erica, you sent the same amount of postage as it cost you to mail.

The packages going home are usually heavier, this is why I say to send extra postage. I buy a good amount of veg seeds and never seem to grow them out, I always have plenty to share.

Although, I did plant a few veg this past year but I failed miserably! The only thing I got was 1 stalk of Brussels and when I pulled it out, it had a big fat worm attached{I hate worms} I couldn't eat it! I sent it home with my Daughter, she didn't know about the worm. lol I did get a bowl or two of snap peas, everything else was a flop. I'm going to try again this year, I really want to grow my summer salads. My green thumb seems to change color when it comes to vegetables!

Anyway, I will sit back tomorrow and wait for you Gals to receive your packages. Hopefully, there will be some happy swappers.

Lisa

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing some new seeds amidst all our snow. The Baker Creek order you were waiting on sounds interesting, now I'm wondering if I'll see a few seeds from that and if so, which ones they might be. Maybe I'll have to force myself to look through their catalog again :)

Hope you get the nice post office clerk tomorrow. And hope your veggies do better this year. They are my favorites. Every year some do great and some don't do so well. The great and not-so-great ones vary from year to year. Some love heat and others do better in cooler years. But there is always something good to eat. Your Brussels Sprouts with the worm reminds me of a friend who's husband drove 30 miles round trip to buy potatoes because he didn't want to use the ones she grew in "dirt". Guess if you don't see how the veggies grow, it is all okay!

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Lisa

Sorry aboutt the postage. I will get it to out to you in the morning. I haven't had internet because of the ice storm here in Georgia last night. It just came back about an hour ago. Does that postage cover all the seeds packs I won and the extras? Thanks for everything.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Lisa, we will all love what you send our way. You do a fantastic job and your efforts are very appreciated. THANKS!

Vala, no I am not John Denver. Maybe this easy clue will help you....In my TV comedy, my husband was not nearly as strange as my mother was.

I will guess that you are Emily Blunt.....

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• uptreasa
    9 years ago

It's been fun keeping up with the guessing game! LOL

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

WELL, no sense in guessing as YOU'VE WON, ANNIE! I AM Emily Blunt!
    GREAT job!!!

So who are you? I would Elizabeth Montgomery off hand, but think she's still living...Gee, who had a really strange mother..I'm guessing there were a BUNCH of tv shows like that! At work (lunchtime) so this has to be short

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Lisa,

Dont feel bad. I'm another who's not great in the veggie growing dept. I think partly my heart is just not in it...HA HA! I much prefer flowers :o)

But I am going to try tomatoes again this year (last year I skipped, the year before was so hot and my tomatoes grew but everytime they got a bud (NOT often), they dropped off). Last night we had green pepper in our dinner, and I saved the seeds. Why are green peppers so hard to sprout? I think I read that somewhere...I thought Id give it a try tho. Indoors better? I have room for 1-2 peat pots under my under-the-kitchen-cabinet-lights. Hubby says "Val, WHY are you going to grow peppers?" I said "to say I can!" LOL! A gardener he is NOT.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Vala, you got it.....Elizabeth Montgomery. She died, I think, in 1995.....Loved Samantha in "Bewitched" but she was pretty darn good as Lizzie Borden too.

Twitching my nose...tata

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Alright Girls,

The envelopes have all been mailed{except for Primrose}.

Naturegirl- 9500111000545049480143

uptreasa-9500111000545049479291

Sheri-9500111000545049486343

Val-9500111000545049481942-short .73

Annie-Canyon- 9500111000545049486718-$5 returned because you won a free ride home!

micyrey-9500111000545049482710-short .91

Alana- your stamps were not cancelled so I only had to use .94 of the money you sent. This is year 3 for you! 9500111000545049483939

Atravers-9500111000545049484936-short .55

I'm going to give my neck a break, it's sore after my marathon on here the other day.

I'm sure some of you have hosted swaps before and know that you get stuck with lots of seeds that you will not grow. I'm going to be offering those seeds up for postage on this thread in the next week or so, keep your eyes peeled.

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I loved Elizabeth Montgomery, too. What a great celebrity to be.

Thank you Lisa. New seeds will be a nice pick-me-up.

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Oh no! I didn't realize Elizabeth Montgomery had passed!

thanks so much Lisa.....I will get $$ off to you soonest!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Lisa -- Thank you so much for the swap. I received my seeds today. There were many wonderful varieties that I'm super excited about. The swap was fantastic. I'm excited to participate again next year.

Naturegirl -- Thanks so much for the bonus packs you sent me. I'm extremely excited about the herbs and the TPS.

@ Everyone else who participated -- Many thanks for sharing your seeds. And thank you to those of you who sent bonus seeds.

• SunshineGal
    9 years ago

Lisa, I received my seeds today and Wow! I got such a great selection of seeds and some that I had been really wanting too. Thanks so much for hosting such a great swap and thanks to everyone participating for sharing some of your treasures with us!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val, I think you should give your post office a call today. I checked tracking and it says undeliverable...They cannot send it back to me like tracking info says because your address is the return address as well.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is from Jaynine by email.

Hi Lisa,

My seeds came today and they’re fantastic! I was having a lull in planting and now I can get back to it with all the wonderful things you sent. I’m very excited!!

Thank you for everything and please extend my thanks to everyone who sent seeds in…great selection. You’re the best.

Janine

Sunshine and Erica, I'm happy that your happy!

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa,

THANK YOU for posting this and for keeping an eye on my package/tracking. That's REALLY weird. I came home from work last night and got the mail and was really disappointed because my seeds didnt arrive (since I'm so close in proximity to you!) I figured they'd arrive today. I neglected to check the tracking last night. I will call first thing and see what's up. we have lived here for 30+ years, and my mailman has been the same for at least 20! I wonder what is up!?

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Lisa,
    PO said it was out for delivery (good thing both return address and my "To" address were on the pkg. I am actually out of town til Sunday (left early this am), but my daughter will get mail and report in. I'm wondering if label came off ??
    Will let you know soon as I do!

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

LIsa,
    Seeds have arrived and My daughter's brought themin the house where it's toasty warm! Now, you have to envision someone who's really not a gardener and doesnt get the least bit excited about seeds: She's like "Yup, you got alot of seeds here!" So I'm like, so TELL ME!...and she's like "well, they are all in this nice little package and I'd HATE to open it all up!" What a hoot! THANK YOU - Cant wait to get home Sunday (hopefully unless ice is bad, maybe wont be til Monday) for all the goodies. I'm sure there are lots of good things and can't wait to check them out!
    My daughter doesnt see ANYthing wrong with the package/address on the package...said someone wrote something near the return address label "2F" or "20F" but I suspect that we had a substitute postman who had SOME problem, but god knows what.....I tend to use address labels that were preprinted so that the address is CLEAR.
    So I guess I've got some more planting to do soon...OH BOY!!! :o)))

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa, thank u for hosting a GREAT swap! it's been a long day and finally able to look over the seeds. there are many seeds that I have been wanting such as dianthus and sunflowers. I am doing the happy dance! Thank you for the bonus seeds and for all those who shared their seeds with me.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

My seeds arrived yesterday. I'll have so many new flowers and veggies to try, it's hard to decide what to plant first. Thank you to Lisa for being hostess, to Sheri and naturegirl for sending me bonus seeds, and to everyone else who contributed all their wonderful varieties of seeds!

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Lisa,

My package hasnt arrived yet and was wondering when it might be delivered? I may have to go next week to Indiana for a funeral and will probably be there a week. I have no one around to get it if it is delivered. Thanks

dawn1972

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Dawn you can check with the USPS online using the numbers Lisa posted for you. I just checked yours and mine and both are "in transit" with no updates in the last couple of days. You might try again tomorrow to see if it has been scanned.

Mine was supposed to be delivered today, but was not. I'm assuming weather issues have slowed them down.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Thanks I have check it several times a day and still no change. It says in transit. OK I guess I will keep checking and if it doesn't arrive before I leave I will just tell them to hold my mail. Thanks poisondartfrog!

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Is it too late to join? Spring came early here so its too late to plant some cool weather seed. Hoping to trade for some heat lovers.

Only have a few flowers.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens....to late to join! Go over to the SEED EXCHANGE....lots of people trading seeds. Have fun!

Lisa, seeds have arrived!!!! What a fantastic selection...absoloutley wonderful. Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your commercial seeds. Very cool flowers, vegetables and herbs. I know that some of you sent in extras....thanks so much! Lisa, many, many thank yous for your generosity of time and seeds and more time. You truly do a sensational job!!

Annie

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Wild,

this swap is ending, but if you check under Round Robins and Exchanges, each swap posts rules at the top with deadlines etc. You can also do your own post with what you are looking for and or what you have to trade, and trade directly with people.

9 years ago

My package arrived today. Wow! It has great seeds. Thank you, Lisa, for picking wonderful seeds for me. I love what you sent. And thanks to all who shared their seeds to help make this swap happen. A couple packs had only a few seeds of very specific varieties I had wished for. I'm thrilled to have them and truly appreciate people's willingness to share when you only had a few yourself. I'll give them special care and make sure they are well protected from critters.

The butterflies around here should be very happy visiting the many flowers I can now grow from the swap seeds.

I'm always surprised when I receive veggies seeds. I have a LOT of them already and yet people share varieties I not only don't have, but even ones I've never heard about. It's humbling, and it is fun looking them up and finding out about new-to-me varieties. And it will be interesting to eat new veggies this coming summer!

THANKS EVERYONE!

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

Received my seeds today and it was like Christmas in February! Thank you everyone for all the cool stuff, and Lisa for being an amazing host!!!

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Dawn, both of our packages are finally on the move. Mine was "delayed" and is now in Knoxville so I should have it tomorrow. Yippee!

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Yes mine is in Atlanta I will probably get it by Tuesday.

• uptreasa
    9 years ago

My package arrived today!! I had so much fun looking through all the packets, and will have even more fun when I plant and harvest! Thank you, Lisa, and also to Sheri for bonus seeds, and to all who sent seeds. Thank you for a fun swap!!!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

My seeds arrived today... thank you, Lisa!!!

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Got my seed too. Thanks Lisa. Love this swap!

9 years ago

Dawn 1972: The prize was a package of seeds from your wish list. Check again and see if it is in with the the other seeds. Did you tell Lisa if you preferred the marigolds or zinnias?

From the earlier Commercial Seeds Swap thread:

"I'll throw in a packet of marigold flagstaff or zinnia old mexico "take
    your pick> from your wish list as the prize for the closest guess.
    Please post here and let me know your choice."

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

OK Sorry, I will go back and read it again. That's the klutz in me. Sorry sorry sorry.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

I'm glad I have people like y'all to keep me straight. I have so many things going through my head I am so sorry! Thanks naturegirl_2007!

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

Wow, i was so exciting Sunday when I got home and was able to go thru all the wonderful seeds I received in the swap that apparently I posted my THANKS to Lisa in the wrong swap thread! geez! SO sorry about that.
    My post/thanks below --

Wow, Lisa! I am overwhelmed! I got home
    today and the first thing I did was go for my package of seeds from the
    swap. I am astounded by the variety and the ABUNDANCE of seeds. I have
    traded with others, but this is my first offical swap, and I was happy
    just to get a trade for the packets of seeds I sent, and maybe a few
    other seeds, some things that I didnt have/new things to try.

I go more seeds via bonuses/extra seeds that you and others were so
    kind to share, and some I have really wanted to try, and others I'm not
    sure what they are yet (gotta goggle them)
    I want to thank you for all your hard work and all the goodies! Now I have to think about what I'm going to WS SOON!

This was a terrific swap! I enjoyed meeting/talking to other participants and COUNT ME in for the next one. GREAT JOB, Lisa!!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I missed but an email from Dawn tells me it wasn't good.

Dawn, I;m not sure what you meant in your private email to me but first off, you didn't enclose ANY postage for your seeds to travel home. I believe you owe me 3.73 in postage. Secondly, did you think when you won a guessing game that I was going to send you the 153 packs of commercial seeds that I bought this year? I share but come on now! Last but not least, there was NO postage in there never mind $5 cash for your 153 packs that you thought you won. I hope you realize now that your prize was an unopened packet of seeds, it was labeled as prize either on the bag it was in or the actual packet itself. I remember you posting that you left the stamps on your dresser, read back some.

I;m glad that the seeds are making their way home, it seems to be taking forever this year. It must be all the snow and ice storms.

Lisa

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

Thanks Lisa for clearing that up. Your postage is in the mail plus some extra. Gosh Im sorry for everything.

• val (MA z6)
    9 years ago

I blame the newness of Houzz for the glitch mis-mis-posting to the wrong forum :-) Any excuse, huh? I guess I can't blame Houzz for my misspelling, tho! Shucks! How come auto correct never works when I wish it WOULD correct something. I winter sowed 11 containers today with a variety of the seeds from the swap....Thank you all! Hope you're having a great week and all staying warm

• atravers
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I got your email this afternoon. I've been swamped lately and with Houzz taking over here I didn't have the time to switch over with my gardenweb account info/username/password.

Another great year for this swap and your work Lisa is much appreciated. I didn't expect to receive so many extra seeds that were on my wish list. Thank you again for all your hard work.

I also want to commend the generous traders who sent in all the thoughtful extras. I hope to return the kindness in the future. A great group we have here. Thanks to everyone!

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Lisa, your incredibly generous packet of seeds so close to my wishes arrived this afternoon, and although I had hoped you would accept my seeds as a gift due to their being so late and various personal snafu's going on, you sent me seeds anyway and I appreciate this very much. Thank you to folks who sent in seeds, as well, and I hope to send in my seeds early enough next time that some will find their way to your envies too.

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

I have FINALLY gotten back access to my account. ( what a crazy hassle) About 2 weeks ago that is. Have been very busy but i just wanted to pop in to say thank you to Lisa for hosting the swap and thanks to every one who sent seeds in!