Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap, Update 2

drippy
16 years ago

My, we're a chatty bunch, to have a second update already!

A list of players:

Naturenut

Micyrey

Strmywthr3

Shimla

Sandysgardens

Rosepedal

Threeshyacres

Beckilove

Rbrady

Clay_Lady

Albertar

Julie_mn

Lisam627

Cottageflowers

Fairydancer

Aaaccc

Moonphase

Plantaholics

Momcat

Astilbebstillz6a

Monarch_girl

Roflol

Sandlapper_rose

Kirsti

Pattygrow5

Bestnshow

Stacy2564

Etravia

Kelboindy

Lclear

Maricybele

Limequilla

Dotties_place

Stage_rat

Annette_1964

Mokey

and me, Drippy.

Those who signed up, but couldn't play because of circumstances:

Fcoffill

Moonberry

I have received seeds so far from:

Stacy2564

Rosepedal Barb (2 envelopes)

Sandlapper Rose

Beckilove

AlbertaR

Comments (109)

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    moonphase - I glade to hear you got some GH I think you'll like them.

we have one dog right now, Charlie was s'posed to be a sheltie but he is twice the hight of a sheltie and over 45lbs. the breeder also had a collie, a male collie, so I think the collie paid charlie's mom a little visit. but he is a great dog, loves the kids, evan when they were younger and would grab his hair to keep from falling when they were first learning to walk. and he would let them walk him on the leash when they were only 18mo old. he loves the cats too. he is kinda a wossy, the chickens chase him around the yard, but I think he may be playing.
    we also have 2 cats, I'm kinda a cat snob, I love purebreeds. we have a big black Maincoon, and a beautiful silver tabby american shorthair.( for harry potter fans she looks like the cat the one teacher turns into) and there is the fish, chickens(I love fresh eggs), frogs, and my son timmy got his first pet for christmas a guinne pig"happy star" oh and I forgot the snake(she is hibernating for the winter, in a bag in the basement) I have to be carefull not to forget about her :)

well please just tell me to shut up

michelle

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning! A progress report: I have been through cataloguing & first sortdown of all packages that have arrived except Roflol's, which I will do after church today. 16 out of 36 packages are in. I cannot really add my seeds to the mix until many of the rest arrive, as you seem to be covering the bases pretty well, LOL. (But I'm sure I'll find goodies from my stash for you)

I have now graduated to two large boxes to hold your envelopes in, and expect to have to add at least one additional large box and extra envelopes.

Because so much inside trading (LOL) has gone on in this swap, I probably will not mess with the designated stuff very much if at all - some of you have indicated what you sent or were expecting as special requests from other swappers, but I suspect some just went right in the designated packets. I don't want to wind up pulling anything that you requested from another trader, so you may see a few duplicates.

Scariest news: with slightly less than half the packs in, and only those seeds that have been designated with your name on them in your envelopes, many of you are already approaching 100 packet returns. !!! Of course, there will be at least 2 rounds of tweaking after everything is sorted, to hopefully insure you don't get matches of the varieties you sent in, too many duplicates or multiples of anything, and anything on your "Don't Want" list (those are really helpful, BTW).

So that's where I'm at so far - it may be a bit rough to keep up at this speed next week; it's concert season here and I have some practicing to do - but it looks like I should have a good chunk of time next weekend to work on this, and I hope most everything will be in by then. My goal is to have these shipped out to you before the end of January, so WSers will have them in plenty of time, and I can get the dining room back!

Tonight I hope to get a little WSing done - the moon is in Pisces, and although I've never done moon sign gardening before, it's an old and honored practice, and I understand Pisces is a good planting sign.

Happy gardening, all!

P.S. I love reading about the pets - after all, who else on earth gives us such unconditional love? Maybe grandchildren, but for some of us, that could be a very long wait!

Kim, who is hoping for some before her 70th birthday, LOL!

• roflol
    16 years ago

Kim, hoping my package was not in too warm a place, lol.

Frances, file transferphobia is why I still have a PC downstairs that runs Win98, and three others with Win2000. There are so many files on that old one in so many places I wouldn't know where to start anymore. :-)

moonphase, my brothers have had bikes for years and I've been wanting one for a while so figured it was my turn. I'm looking for something over 350cc in case I *need* to get on the interstate for some reason. The Rebel felt nice to sit on, but I know I'd be wanting something more powerful pretty quickly and I might as well get the bigger bike first off; it took me two years to save up this much! I'll be looking at a 1991 Honda VT 600 Shadow this afternoon with my oldest brother; I'll see if it feels right to sit on, and he'll test drive. :-)

Terri ;-)

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

I LOVE the term "inside trading!" Hilarious. I did some, certainly! What kind of people are we, going "group swaps" and inside trading? Shocking.

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

Good morning yall, Well its goodnight for me, Just got home from work, I didnt figure anyone would be awake but had to check in and see whats going on.

GRANDBABIES!!!! I am getting one in March!!!! I have a granddaughter from my oldest son, now Im getting a grandson from my other son. My Daughter is never going to have any I believe. She told me once that when you have kids the world stops revolving around you... Its true !!!

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patty, my poor mailwoman, delivered one of those green trash bags to my door, in the snow today, with Frances' mailer and seeds from:

Maricybele
    Pattygrow5
    Rbrady
    Julie_mn(2)
    Moonphase
    Kelboindy
    Dotties_place
    Cottageflowers
    Naturenut
    Sandysgardens
    Strmywthr3
    Kirsti

so, the total list in is:

Stacy2564
    Sandlapper Rose
    Beckilove
    AlbertaR
    Annette_1964
    Monarch_girl
    Aaaccc
    Plantaholics
    AstilbebstillZ6a
    Fairydancer
    Roflol
    Micyrey
    Shimla
    Limequilla
    Etravia
    Maricybele
    Pattygrow5
    Rbrady
    Julie_mn(2)
    Moonphase
    Kelboindy
    Dotties_place
    Cottageflowers
    Naturenut
    Sandysgardens
    Strmywthr3
    Kirsti

I think Bestnshow is not participating - I've had no way to contact him/her, and no response through postings, so I'm waiting for packs from:

Threeshyacres
    Clay_Lady
    Lisam627
    Momcat
    Lclear
    Stage_rat, and
    Mokey

and I'm pretty sure all these people have told me their seeds are on the way. That's ok, with today's mail I have enough to keep me busy for awhile, LOL.

Julie, I am very, very afraid.... :)

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

insider trading and group swaps!!!!

shocking indeed!

ha ha ha

roflol
    filetransferphobia is a chronic affliction these days I am afraid. I personally seem to kill a pc every three years. Good thing they are not as expensive as they used to be. but WIN 98!!!!! lol!

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Kim - I lOVE it! You are not knee high in seeds, I'm picturing neck high in seeds!! I was with Julie on Saturday, at our MN seed swap, and she told me how much she sent in for the Theme Swap. I would be afraid of just those two envies alone and then when you add all the other envies, which sound all on the plus side, all I can say is have Fun if you don't Run!!!!!

Did your mailwoman have any special comments you can share?

I too put the requested seeds right in with the theme seeds for each person and didn't identify them as a special request except for one baggie that is marked as a reqeust - sorry.

Happy Seeding
    Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandy, don't be sorry, I bet I could guess which seeds were special requests vs. themes if I wanted to - thing is, for the most part, it's just plain easier to leave what is earmarked for others alone. Here's my basic modus operandi, in case anyone's interested.

I have 9x12 envelopes for everyone, to which I've attached a sheet in front that has space for name, address, email address, theme choices. There's also a space for date received, how many seeds sent, how much postage sent, and date returned (all envs. will be returned with delivery confirmation). Underneath that is attached a copy of everyone's wish list from the member page (as of a couple of weeks ago; I'm afraid I can't go checking them regularly). These envelopes are standing up in two xerox paper boxes. We use a lot of paper, thank goodness! :)

When someone's envelope comes in, as I open it, I write their address on the sheet in case their return label gets misplaced. I write down # of seeds sent & amt. of postage - I can then gather all the stamps together that way. If they have a list of what they've sent, I copy it, and attach one to their collection envelope & put one in their return bubble. If they don't have a list, I generate one - it's important to me to check the contents of the return envelope against what they sent, especially since I don't have time to check trade lists. If they sent a list of "don't wants", that goes in the return bubble for the final pass.

Sort 1: Seeds designated for players go right in their 9 x 12s - I list what was sent on their sheet, too; this makes it easier for sort 2 & 3. Seeds organized by themes instead of players go into 2 (hopefully not 3 or 4, but maybe!) shoe boxes. Seeds labeled but not sorted go into 3 alpha shoe boxes (A-J, K-Q, R-Z).

Sort 2: I look over lists of what players have now had sent in and are in their envelopes, pull ridiculous multiples (4 packs of "mixed larkspur", e.g., unless I know the person has a large garden area and a passion for mixed larkspur). Seeds designated by themes & alpha seeds are gone through & added - this is kinda the funnest part for me.

Sort 3: Check for reasonably fair distribution, tweak accordingly, go to bubbles & remove "don't want" lists, pull any that fit that description.

Then homeward bound! Hope no one has any objection to this system, 'cause it's the best I can do.

Kim, whose current setup is: 2 xerox paper boxes, 1 other box almost the same size, 1 slightly smaller box, 5 shoeboxes, and a paper bag for the stuff you folks have designated for me.

P.S. I'll give you a count as soon as they're all counted!

P.P.S.S. Yeah, I know how Julie does her seed packets, Sandy - I am warily eying the 2 heavily stuffed bubbles from her.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to add important step - end of Sort 2 includes where I add my seeds to 9x12s. I found trying to do that earlier in the process last year resulted in my having to move things around more and in some cases, return seeds to my seedbox (ugh!) after I discovered you'd already sent enough of the same ones in.

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

Im kinda overwhelmed trying to think about it. Good luck!!
    And we appreciate your doing this for us.

• pattygrow5
    16 years ago

Hi Kim I am glad you got my seeds I had my own system I had a 2 gallon baggie for each player and as the seeds came in I put those marked for them in it had a notebook and marked how many seeds and any special instructions then when all seeds were in(or maybe even before) went thru each envie took out doubles put them in a box marked how many they had after doubles were taken out that way I knew how many more they needed for their total.I also put the postage in a separate baggie in smaller bags with the return labels with that persons postage.I feel for you.All in all it's fun hard work but fun.Thanks for all the hard work.
    Patty

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Kim - Make sure you come up for air once in a while!

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lisa, your seeds are here!

Seeds here:

Stacy2564
    Sandlapper Rose
    Beckilove
    AlbertaR
    Annette_1964
    Monarch_girl
    Aaaccc
    Plantaholics
    AstilbebstillZ6a
    Fairydancer
    Roflol
    Micyrey
    Shimla
    Limequilla
    Etravia
    Maricybele
    Pattygrow5
    Rbrady
    Julie_mn(2)
    Moonphase
    Kelboindy
    Dotties_place
    Cottageflowers
    Naturenut
    Sandysgardens
    Strmywthr3
    Kirsti
    Lisam627

Waiting on:

Threeshyacres
    Clay_Lady
    Momcat
    Lclear
    Stage_rat, and
    Mokey

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    16 years ago

Yay! Thanks for hosting this swap Kim - everyone appreciates your organization and all of your hard work! - Lisa

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Oh, my! What a list! The A-List, for sure, but what a looooong list!

I feel for ya, Drippy!

Lime

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

What a lot of work all that sorting is! And I thought it was tough just putting my stuff together! It seems like you and Patty have good methods.

I only sent in seeds for 2 people that really need to get to them, and I tried to make that really clear. Otherwise, feel free to redistribute what I sent!

• mokey
    16 years ago

Drippy
    you have email! very important!
    mokey

• moonphase
    16 years ago

gosh,I actually dreamed of seeds last night,something about a horrible round robin that only had morning glory seeds and it cost a fortune to send them,..lol..Guess I am stressing because I am behind on my planned wsing..but when I get my 2 green houses from walmart,I can put alot right on the back porch.
    Terri,the shadows are nice.I live in the blue ridge mtns,so was not looking for speed,even thought the 250 has no problems on the interstate.I am thinking very seriously of selling my bike and buying a larger scooter.There is a group of women here that has formed a club for riders.I am going to check in with them.I know they do some traveling,so that will be fun..and I am older than you..lol better late than never
    drippy,I thank you from the bottom of my heart and am so glad there are great gardeners like you that put on these swaps.I could never be that organized..I am so looking forward to seeing what I get to add to my gardens.
    I had fun with the weather one..what about you all,wasn't it alot of fun??
    moonphase

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update - things are going pretty well so far on this end. I've had to "graduate" a couple of you to a second 9x12 to hold your returns in, LOL - but some of that may change in later round tweaking, too. Of what's come in, I only have 4 left to go in an initial sort, but one of them is Julie's, and that counts for at least two, LOL. I'm expecting a few more mailers in today.

Off to yoga, ommmmmmmm...

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today's mail brought seeds from Mokey, and Kristi, your extra postage & note as well.

Now have seeds from:

Stacy2564
    Sandlapper Rose
    Beckilove
    AlbertaR
    Annette_1964
    Monarch_girl
    Aaaccc
    Plantaholics
    AstilbebstillZ6a
    Fairydancer
    Roflol
    Micyrey
    Shimla
    Limequilla
    Etravia
    Maricybele
    Pattygrow5
    Rbrady
    Julie_mn(2)
    Moonphase
    Kelboindy
    Dotties_place
    Cottageflowers
    Naturenut
    Sandysgardens
    Strmywthr3
    Kirsti
    Lisam627
    Mokey

Waiting on:

Threeshyacres
    Clay_Lady
    Momcat
    Lclear
    Stage_rat

Everyone except Lclear has let me know their seeds are on the way - I'll try to check in with Lclear asap.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, all envelopes that are in have had a preliminary sort except Julie's - which I'm still afraid to open, LOL! (JK, Julie :)). I would start that now except I have to work.

Work is, without a doubt, a 4-letter word that interferes with real life...

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    well my two greenhouses are almost full, I'm saving 2 shelves for any wintersowables I get from this swap. I have been debating getting another one but I don't know where I would put it.

did everyone know there is a post on the winter sowing site to post how many WS pots/jugs you have done. it is interesting to see how many people are doing, and in what zones.

drippy you sound very organized, I just love the sorting, and seeing what everyone has sent. thanks for all the hard work. BIG HUGGGGGG

michelle

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Clay_lady, Threeshyacres, and Momcat, your seeds arrived today. Stage_rat's will probably arrive tomorrow. I did reach Lclear, and she had gotten sidetracked, but mailed her seeds this a.m. That will mean I should be able to get most of this done pretty close to schedule, I think.

Finished cataloguing Julie's seeds this a.m. - Julie, you need a database! I'm not going to tell you all how many she sent, yet. I'll share some of the good moments of doing this swap with you at the end, but Limequilla is right - this is the "A" list of swappers (although there were a few that weren't able to play this year that belong on that list, too) as far as I'm concerned.

Seeds in from:

Stacy2564
    Sandlapper Rose
    Beckilove
    AlbertaR
    Annette_1964
    Monarch_girl
    Aaaccc
    Plantaholics
    AstilbebstillZ6a
    Fairydancer
    Roflol
    Micyrey
    Shimla
    Limequilla
    Etravia
    Maricybele
    Pattygrow5
    Rbrady
    Julie_mn(2)
    Moonphase
    Kelboindy
    Dotties_place
    Cottageflowers
    Naturenut
    Sandysgardens
    Strmywthr3
    Kirsti
    Lisam627
    Mokey
    Clay_lady
    Threeshyacres
    Momcat

Stage_rat's and Lclear's to come.

• etravia
    16 years ago

I am honored to be on the "A" list! I've spent most of my life in the C's!

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

I am also glad to be amongst the ladies on the "A"List. What an honor, especially for a beginner like me!
    I don't think I have ever been on ANY list before...LOL.
    Gee, I think I need to join more RR's so that I can be on more lists!..LOL

Drippy, you're doing a wonderful job! Thanks a bundle!!!!
    Hope everyone has a great day!...Marylee

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Etravia you crack me up. I have been getting c's on my appitude tests all week at my new job. It is bad enough on starting a new job and than they test everyone to see what they know. (GRIN) Wow can you imagine how many flowers are in those packages. I bet it would make a straight line all the way to WI. (double grin).
    Monarch girl those were aka hibiscus tree. The previous owner of the seeds posted some pictures..... Too bad I cannot grow them here. Drat Have a great evening everyone... Barb

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hey everyone :)

anybody interested in the Walmart greenhouse should check out the garden section at Lowe's. They have a little greenhouse for under $9 that looks almost exactly the same as the one at Walmart but it says "Garden Treasures" on the box. It also has the same dimensions of 64"x35"x19". However, it doesn't feel all that sturdy but it will probably work for starting smaller plants... maybe for a few years if you are careful. For $9 I bought one and will give it a try :) If nothing else, I can always turn it into a new butterfly house if I add screen. :)

))i(( Jennifer

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Being on this "A" list is much nicer than being on some ones sh.. list. Shoot, I'm probably on someones!

It's abnormally cold here this week. This coming Saturday the high is predicted to be 2 below, which doesn't include the windchill. I'm going to stay tucked inside as much as I can and get some Pepper seeds started (under the lights) and continue winter sowing! John's great - I get the milk jugs done and he takes them to the patio for me.

Stay warm
    Sandy

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hahaha...... forget the butterfly house! If my kitty won't stay out of it I will turn it into a cat jail to SAVE my plants! ;)

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

WOW $9 for the greenhouses I would buy a stack of them.
    I had also thought of making one into a butterfly house in the spring when I don't need a greenhouse anymore.
    it would be a big improvement on the small screen cages I used last year.
    cat jail LOL thats funny
    luckily my cats only bother dry crunchy leafs
    michelle

• etravia
    16 years ago

Dang. They are building a Lowes 2 miles from my house but theres only piles of dirt there now...Guess I may have to drive wayyyy over to the other side of town tomorrow...

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stage_rat's seeds are here - that's everyone except Lclear, now, and I expect hers early next week. I'm off to start Sort 2!

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

:O

I got lots of Lowes Gift cards for Christmas (what does that say about me I wonder????) ha ha ha..... I am a bit of a handy(wo)man. I tried to check for the little greenhouse at their website, but it isn't there.

oh well, maybe I will be able to get over there on Sunday. $9 is a very good price. I think I paid about $40 for the one I bought last year.

have fun with the sorting Kim, I just got a BIG envelope of seeds myself and have been sorting through them for about a week now.... looking them up, picking out a few to try, sorting them again. Setting aside a few for my SIL too. I enjoy it even if I never get around to trying them all it is fun to learn about all sorts of new plants

Frances

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

I'm glad the seeds got there--I sent in on the deadline day, I guess you guys are just more organized than I am, and you all got your seeds in the mail before then.

Frances, a lot of what Lowe's sells isn't on their website. I don't even look there anymore, because several times I have tried different searches, clicked through all their results, not found the thing I was sure they sold, then called the store--"yes, we sell it, and here's the price."

• roflol
    16 years ago

etravia, you are in trouble now with a Lowe's that close. We have one that close that I frequented in the fall for the purpose of deadheading for seeds and rescuing perennials on deep discount... the only nice thing is I don't waste so much gas getting there :-)

I visited again last night. Learned today I win at plumbing repairs, locksmithing maybe not so much. ;-) I love replacing washer/spring sets in leaky faucets because it's like getting a new faucet for a few bucks. But locks are new for me and now I get why they cost more for professionals to install... they're stinkers to replace, especially when it seems monkeys cut the original holes. Plus the guys who rekeyed the locks last night to match my other locks didn't *actually* know what they were doing so much and banged up the deadbolt which currently is really too hard to lock/unlock to be safe to use. I'll be trying to install the entry lock in a little while. If it works better than the DB, I may take the DB back and see if they'll try again because they may have messed it up when they dented it... otherwise it's probably my fault. lol.

*And* to top it off they sell the right kinds of tubing and connectors to make adult size hula hoops. I really love Lowe's. I don't get gift cards to there, but I'm hoping when my youngest is in school that I can get a job there so I can get a discount. :-D

Terri

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

This is what it is all about.......

My Mentor (neighbor) called me tonight...and said come over and play some cards. After we finished, we went thru the new catalogs and she informed me of what will grow and what will not (knowledge). We went thru her seed stash and she shared what would grow in my garden and she is coming over tommorow to go thru my seed stash to grow flowers together... I could not ask for a better friend sharing her time and knowledge with another person. I wanted to say thanks to everyone here in the RR you are my new neighbors......... I just wished you all lived closer. Drippy thanks for letting a new gardner into your rr. Hugs Barb

• etravia
    16 years ago

I hadn't even thought about helping Lowes deadhead their plants in the fall! It is going to be great. We have a Menards about 2.5 miles away, but I just don't care for them. There is a Home Depot 10 or 12 miles away, but I've never been in it. I'm going to love the Lowes, but hate the traffic. They're putting it up directly across from a Wal-Mart & the traffic is already a pain in the a**.
    maggie

• shimla
    16 years ago

When I'm fall clearance shopping, I always look for the plants that still have the seedheads attached to them. They are easy to find because (unless it's a top-notch nursery) the plants aren't well taken care of that time of year. I got some liatris in the last swap I joined labeled "from Lowes" lol! I had to plant it just in case it was different from the ones I have :0)!

Thank goodness for starting plants from seed. I missed a couple of seasons of gardening (health stuff) and man have the prices gone up. Hewitt's had their small pots listed at 3 for $25. I could never have the garden to the extent I do without seed starting and these wonderful swaps.

I feel the way you do, rosepedal, even though I'm not considered 'new'. There's so much to learn; I like my neighborhood here on GW! I'm not a very detail orientated person, I just plant 'em and grow 'em so I pick up alot when I'm here.

I have to check out the greenhouse. I've been considering some kind of shelving unit to keep my (hundreds) of WS'ing pots tidy. I was dreaming about putting up some kind of permanent racks attached to my fence. The greenhouse might be a good way to experiment with a system like that.

I can't believe that just about all the packages are in with such a large group and already through the first sort. Wow, we all have it together, good job ladies and gents! Drippy, I'm going to plunk an envelope in with some extra postage just in case you need it and to cover the DC. Someone posted it went up to .75 now.

I got a swap bubbler back in the mail from another swap. The post office requires that all large (over 13 ounces) packages be hand delivered to the post office. You can't put them in a drop box with stamps on anymore due to heightened security requirements. I can't keep up with their rules and their rate hikes!

• stacy2564
    16 years ago

Drippy, I would also be happy to send more postage. You just let me know and I will get it sent off to you the beginning of the week. After all your hard work it would be my pleasure!!!!!

Stacy

• etravia
    16 years ago

I too am amazed that we all have our seeds sent in, especially since it was over the holiday. Drippy, please post if you are short on postage. You're putting a lot of effort into this swap & you shouldn't have to foot the bill for postage too.
    It was soooo cold here today. Morning was "4", right now it's 9. but the wind is making it feel much colder. I usually feed the birdies only once a day, in the morning, but today I gave them dinner too. Oh, & yesterday, a woman came trudging through the neighborhood, all bundled up, hollering for her lost dog. I felt so bad for her. I took her phone # and description of the dog. I sure hope she found her....
    M

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Drippy, same for me about the postage. I only included what it had cost me to mail my envelope to you, and it sounds like it will be coming back much heavier. If you can enclose a little note reminding me how much I sent, I will check what it cost you to mail it to me and send the difference and a litte more for all the effort you put into this.
    Jeanne

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, postage schmostage - some sent more, some sent less, trying to figure out what's what hurts my little brain...:) If you get your stuff back & you figure out you haven't sent enough postage (you can email me if you don't remember how much you sent; I recorded it...somewhere...), you can either send me a couple of stamps (but stamps only please!) OR you can just donate extra to the next swap you're in.

Lclear's seeds are here; I have to go look them up :) I've had to do a bit of that in this second sort; trying as best I can to cross-check common to botanical names. Interesting to note that the term African Daisy has been applied to osteospermum, dimorphothetica (sp? I have to be looking right at that one to get it right), calendula, and venidium fastuosum.

In the thick of the second sort now; a little less than half way through. If that 4-letter word, WORK, didn't get in the way, I'd have this done faster! Still hoping to hit my schedule; looking at mailing out early next week.

Bye for now!

Kim

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

It'll be neat to see what seeds come in! I know I'm going to love some of them! (That insider trading thing, you know). I will probably order a couple of things after I see what comes back, so if anyone wants to try to do a group order, I'm open to that idea (I haven't tried it before, but saving on the seed company's shipping fee would be nice)

I went to a garden show last weekend, put on by the master gardeners in the adjacent county. I got seeds! They had a seed swap, and I folded up some &%#@$% paper envelopes (the rules said "no plastic." grr) I'm glad I did, as I got some neat stuff. I now have a ton of yellow tithonia, so if you notice this, Drippy, you can strike that from my list! (or just send it, I'll pass it on). I got Hungarian Daisy, which I'd never heard of, but I'm glad I grabbed it. Sunset Echinacea--does that grow true? Does anybody know? I brought some wintersowing propaganda along too, so at the seed swap table, when people started saying "poppies are so hard to start from seed..." I had my brochures ready to go! It was really nice to go to a garden-related event at this time of year, even though I have wintersowing going on too.

I hope everyone is staying warm, especially you, Drippy, with your hands out of your pockets, sorting seeds!

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

I sent lots of postage, PLEASE DONT send me enough seeds to use all that!!!! I am trying to cut down, really I am not a seed collector. I only keep seeds that I can grow x 3 (sow 1, save 1, share 1) I have been totally overwhelmed by the quantity of seeds some of you have! (I never knew there were so many seeds) this is a joke I share with my DH. Last fall, the leaves of 12 neighboring oak trees fell into our yard and I told him "I didn't know there were this many leaves" he answered "oak trees have a lot of leaves" i replied...

I MEANT IN THE WORLD.... I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE THIS MANY LEAVES IN THE WORLD!!!

he still laughs, of course now I mulch them rather than rake them...... but still sheesh, we don't even have an oak tree!
    Frances

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Stage rat, Frances, you guys crack me up!!!LOL...Marylee

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

oh! drippy
    sorting, sorting, sorting, don't forget to take time to eat and sleep. I can just see you passed out over a HUGH pile of seeds and envies.
    hava great day everyone and stay warm. burrrr 6.degees now.

michelle

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Woke up this morning to another 19 below start to the day. Don't even want to think what the windchill was! However, I am staying warm with wonderful thoughts of all the great flowers we are all going to be growing from the seeds we will be receiving from Drippy!

Drippy - Make sure you eat a little between sorts!!

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, all - I'm starting another update.

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Glad to see you come up for air, Drippy!LOL...Marylee