Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

NEW: obf jan swap, dreamin' by the fire

beth_b_kodiak
10 years ago

Welcome to the first Our Blooming Friends Swap for 2014. This swap will be a swap of either Gently used Garden oriented magazines or garden books.
I am suggesting a trade of four or five magazines. If you prefer books then one or two will be enough. The magazines must be intact,( no pages or coupons cut out). These items may be mailed by media mail which is economical OR in a flat rate priority envelope for just a bit under $6.00.this will hold 4 or 5 magazines or a fairly fat book.
January is my time to sit and read and dream about my garden. All the seed catalogs and magazines and books that I have saved up are both the spark and the fuel for my garden dreams.
This should be an easy swap with no shopping required. ( sorry, to those who just love to shop) as you will be sending things that you have around the house.
Each player will have the option of swapping; 1)magazines, 2)books, or 3) both.
If you choose to do both, it will be two separate swaps.
when you sign up, please state what you prefer to swap.
While we are waiting for sign ups and for the mailman it, would be fun if we take turns posting descriptions or photos of our "Dream Gardens".

Comments (91)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mellen, great guesses and you do have one correct. I bought a few types of celosia for my cutting garden and you got one of them. Never knew there were so many types.
    I mailed to Carol today Hope there some things there that you will enjoy and be able to use.

• mcc371
    10 years ago

Shirley- Your magazines are in the mail today so you should get them in a day or two. This has been fun deciding which to send and which magazines I can't part with.

Beth- Thank you for hosting this swap.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

MaryEllen mailed your package today, hope you enjoy everything =)

Jayeanne

• mellen
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jayeanne. I will be looking for it. Yours will not go out until Tuesday as Monday is a no mail day.

1 celosia correct, huh? :)

ME

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Beth here's a few guesses
    ASTIBLE BELLA MIX
    CAMPANULA PRIMULIFOLIA
    CELOSIA FOREST FIRE
    CENTAUREA DEALBATA
    CYMBALARIA MURALIS
    DELPHINIUM CLIVEDON BEAUTY
    DIANTHUS RAINBOW LOVLINESS MIX
    GAILLARDIA GOBLIN
    GAURA THE BRIDE
    GERANIUM ALBA
    POPPY DOUBLE TANGERINE GEM
    PENSTEMON FIRECRACKER
    PENSTEMON BLUE SPRINGS
    PENSTEMON ROCKY MTN.
    PENSTEMON WILD PINK
    BALLOON FLOWER DOUBLE BLUE
    KNAUTICA MACEDONICA
    LOBELIA SIPHILITICA
    LUPINE BLUE
    LYCHNIS BURNING LOVE

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Bert from allthings plants is hosting a co-op for lilies (Asiatic, Orientals and etc if anyone is interested) these lilies are at a great price....so hope everyone wants to participate. LMK and I will give you the details.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning ladies. Looks like GW quit sending ma automatic updates. Sorry I missed the last couple posts
    Yes Mellen, you have one Celosia correct and Shirley has one correct too. Nice work gals. Mellen will get an extra point for being the first guesser.
    Now Im going to challenge myself to set up a scramble for you to do on this cold snowy day.
    Back in about an hour with scrambled words

• Melinda Hagen
    10 years ago

Gosh, I have sure missed a lot! Went to my son's for a week and then came home and had a funeral for my friend's husband who died from heart attack unexpectedly. Then have a bug of some kind. But have magazines ready to go. I will be mailing them today Tammy. I better go back and check out the game as don't know what that's about, or is it too late to play! Have a great day, Melinda

• mellen
    10 years ago

Just here for a minute.....have been with my sister since Sunday. She has been to the ER twice since Saturday with lower abdominal pain. She will be having surgery tomorrow will continue to be here the rest of the week. The reason I am sharing this is since I won't be getting my package out this week. Jayeanne, hubby is home so when your package comes he will be there to get it.

Take care, all.
    ME

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not to late at all Melinda.
    I'm posting a quick one here for the bad weather break.
    Unscramble these names. You can send them to me if you want to, rather than posting here.
    Points go to the person who gets the name correct first.
    1) ihivlymnpbcdtuoudieelnea
    2)aaeoleeuppssmcmoalampipus
    3) slcchuebigdnalutriarosenec
    4) hibaaerssswtdllniviinooun
    5) sipkneeribudcurara
    Hope I have not messed this up before even starting

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Jeanne, got your books already! I haven't had a chance to look at them, but I know I'm really going to like them.
    A Cozy Book of Tea Time Treats
    Tea Gardens Book

HOw cute they go together!

sharon

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Sharon,
    What a coincidence. Your books to me arrived today. I opened the package and thought they looked great, but it was a quick look. A bit earlier this evening I stopped to run an errand on the way to my meeting and someone really rammed into the back of my car when we were in very congested traffic. I'm sore and have ice on my back and don't get me started on how upset I get when anything happens to my car. It is definitely in need of several days at a car repair shop. Anyway, I'm trying to remind myself it could be worse...

Thanks so much, Sharon and I'll hopefully get to look at the books tomorrow. Trying to get my mind off the accident right now. They always say your neck and back are worse the day after so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

Thanks for being the hostess, Beth. With the baby shower for my daugher this month, I'm sorry I haven't joined in the conversations more.

Jeanne

• veeja11
    10 years ago

received a bunch of great mags from Beth today, reminded me I was in a swap, thankyou beth and sorry I will be late, will mail off by friday, sorry forgot all about this swap, am hunting around for mags you should like, hugs to jack and all my bloomin friends. I am officially senile

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Carol-So nice to see you...we miss you when you are away. Glad you got to join in Beth's swap.

Jeanne-Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you won't be to sore tomorrow, the ice will help.

Mellen-I will be praying for your Sister tomorrow. I hope the surgery goes well. Keep us informed.

Tammy-I received my magazines today....yeah you sent some I have never seen so excited to check them out.

Southern Living Comfort Foods
    Hobby Farms
    Country Gardens
    Womans Day
    Fine Gardening

I was hoping it would snow tailgate deep so I could read these magazines....Tammy thank you so much.

Beth I love the magazine swap...great idea.

Hope to tackle those words tomorrow.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mellen, so sorry to hear about your sister. Sending prayers for a good outcome and quick recovery.
    Oh Jeanne, that is bad news for you too, I'm predicting your aches will be worse today, even if the injuries are minor. The muscles tighten up after an injury and patients often find places the next day that ache more that they expected. Not, trying to spread gloom here , just figure it is good to know that it's pretty "normal". Take time to rest and recover.
    Sharon, tea gardens is a new concept to me,other than the Oriental type. Strange, I always think of those more as Restaurants than gardens.
    Shirley, Southern Living Comfort foods sounds heavenly!!!!!! I could sure get into trouble with that one.
    Carol, no problem and no hurry. Nothing urgent or exciting going on here and I will enjoy them whenever they arrive.
    Hugs and warm wishes to all
    bethb

• mcc371
    10 years ago

Shirley- I am so glad you received them. Happy gardening I mean reading! LOL!
    Mellen- Prayers for your sister for a complete healing.
    Jeanne- You are in my prayers, hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Beth- This has been a fun swap, Thank You for hosting it. I have enjoyed it.

Have a beautiful day Everyone!
    Tammy

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Mellen- Oh gosh so sorry to hear about your sister, I do hope everything goes well for her and wishing her a speedy recovery. No need to worry about me. Yes your package should arrive sometime this week. I do hope all goes well for her. Will keep her and you in my prayers.
    Hugs, Jayeanne

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Tammy-I took one of my books to work and had a wonderful time reading it. Every time I heard footsteps I had to put it in a drawer. LOL

Mellen-Praying your Sister came through her surgery ok. When you can give us an update.

Whew Beth I'm trying to unscramble the words but to no avail. Are they more than one word?

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

hey everyone, hope you are all warm and safe.

Jeanne, so sorry to hear about your car accident. the other vehicle insurance company owes you a rental while yours is being repaired, and they should provide you with a vehicle similar to yours. glad to hear you aren't feeling too bad, but I would definitely do some bath soaks because you will be still. you're right, it could be worse, so glad it was not.

mary ellen, your sister is in my prayers as is the family.

Shirley, I agree, those words are insane. I see rudbeckia in one of them, but the remaining letters don't make sense as to the type, at least they don't make sense to me.

we got about 12 inches of snow. have I said lately how much I despise winter anymore? give me spring/fall weather year round and I will be a happy girl. anyone know of such a place? if so, please share, and i'm packing tomorrow and going.

carol, carol, carol.....you make me laugh!

my granddaughter and I went to a MLK day of service on Monday at one of the local friends schools. it was such a touching service at the start of the day, they had all youngsters reading the I have a Dream speech, really was compelling. then we set off and made teddy bears for a local agency. was a lot of fun. if I do that same activity next year, i must remember a thimble,

i have a video chat interview this week. strange, but i guess in this day of modern technology, this is what it is. the interviewers are in California, and i'm in PA. saves on air fare, that's for certain. wish me luck, please! i'm hoping for this job, it sounds quite promising.

everyone have fun reading your books/mags.

stay well, stay warm
    maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great photo Maryanne. Glad you were able to have such an enjoyable day off with grandaughter.
    yes, those words were crazy. they were making me crazy trying to scramble them up. That's why I only did 5.. I thought I was jumbling up my brain. LOL I have a prize in mind to brighten the day of the winner but I can't name it until I have it in my hands. Don't want to promise something that does not materialize.
    It is early but we are leaving on what should be a two day shopping expedition for me. Zippity doo dah!!!

• sguanzon
    10 years ago

Maryanne,

San Diego (but expensive and I'm not a great California fan except for Disneyland :)

Beth,

I know you are in Arizona but I forget the name of the place. I remember it's somewhere I've never been and I've lived here all my life. When you "go to town" what town are you going to? Phoenix?

Sue G

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryanne, would you need to move?
    Sue, we go to Phoenix only to visit family or if we "need" something for the RV. Most routine shopping is done in Prescott.
    Today we are going first to Quartzite , for Jack. Then to Yuma for me. Some sun by a pool and then shopping. Love to go down there and see all the fresh veggies and fruit. Last time we drove out into the countryside and watched the cultivation and harvesting for several hours. We are a pair of old time farmers and are amazed at how things are done now.
    Tomorrow we'll hit Algodones for some food and music and then back home

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Hi Maryanne great picture, thanks for sharing. The only way you can have the perfect climate year round is to live in the Mountains Spring, Summer & Fall and then go to Florida in the Winter time. I will probably do just that when I retire. This has to be the coldest Winter on record here.
    What is bad is we have two months of Spring, two months of Summer, two months of Fall and 6 months of Winter.

Beth-Have fun on your shopping trip. I do love shopping trips.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shirley, you are SO right about the weather. I spent years looking for a place with perfect weather. Living in Alaska but spending two months in MD seeped perfect to me for years but it was expensive!
    Our excursion was really fun but while gone, we missed a surprise visit from an old friend. Oh well, we'll catch up again this summer.
    Hope everyone has been weathering the weather OK
    I see Fairbanks is over 40 degrees today. Amazing.

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Just checking in to see what everyone has been up to. So happy to see the picture of you with your granddaughter, Maryanne. I hope the interview went well. Isn't the newer technology something different?

Anyway, I meant to come back and post the names of the books I received. They are wonderful! All three are by Rosemary Verey. The titles are:
    English Country Gardens
    Good Planting Plans
    Garden Plans.
    Very nice books and very useful. I haven't seen any of them before.

I continue to be very sore and in many places from my accident. It got worse over the next few days (Beth, you were right) and I haven't gotten to a stage where I can notice improvement yet. Obviously my neck and back are the worst, but I've got pain going down my right leg and arm and some other places hurt, too.. I've been to my medical doctor, my chiropractor, and for x-rays. My doctor had me schedule physical therapy, but that won't start for about 10 more days. It's odd how you get worse after the first day - I think the adrenalin must keep you from feeling as much pain at first.

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. Obviously I want to be able to get back to doing all the things I normally do. (Maybe my husband is getting a little tired of reaching for things, lifting things, and bending for things, but he's a good sport about it.)

Jeanne

• mellen
    10 years ago

Jeanne, I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting. Hope you can get some relief somehow.

Maryanne, LOVE the pic of you and GD. She is beautiful just like you.

I am home now. Sister is doing amazingly well and on the road to recovery. Hysterectomys are so different now. 3 little incisions, pull it out from 'there,' and 2 week recovery time. She is feeling really, really good now!

Jayeanne, got your box........magazines-Organic Gardening, Better Homes and Gardens, Wellbella, and Southern Living. I will take these on vacay in a week-and-a-half. Also, a bypass pruner---I never seem to have enough of these. I even carry one in my car. :) And, seeds-Viola 'Helen Mount,' Petunia 'Royalty Mix,' and Poppy 'Frosted Salmon.' Nice! Thank you so very much for all that you sent! I have your box all packed and ready to go on Monday......depending on the possible blizzard tonight and tomorrow. If not Monday then Tuesday, for sure.

ME

• Melinda Hagen
    10 years ago

Sending prayers to all who have problems and needs. May everyone's family and things get worked out! I have been outside most of the day! Been really cold and got up to 50's so seemed great!
    I rec'd my package from Shirley! She sent me
    2 Birds and Blooms- I love these
    Garden Gate- I love these also
    Mary Janes Farm-can't wait to check that out!
    Good selections as I can't wait to relax and read them!
    She also sent a delightful little homemade card and a prayer rock with a verse! I loved it! So cute and unique!
    Thanks again for another great swap this month! My arms are so tired, just can't seem to gain strength in them since my surgery and been almost 3 years! But I try! Gotta go, my arms are shaking just typing after working in yard!
    Have good evening everyone!

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Melinda-Glad your magazines arrived. I sent you an e-mail that I forgot to put the card in your package with a years subscriptions to Better Homes and Garden. Hope you enjoy them.

Mellen-Yes hysterectomys are so easy now and the recovery a breeze. Never had one but everyone who has does very well.

Jeanne-Hope the aches and pains are getting less. Hang in there, better days ahead.

Off to the nursing home to see Mom and then hope to walk the greenway.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

If anyone is interested, I just posted some Daylily seeds on the seed exchange.
    sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanne, hope you are beginning to feel some of the pains and aches easing up.
    Mellen, glad for the good news about your sister.
    I have been sitting here garden dreaming while reading the book,Midwest Cottage Gardens.
    In the intro to one of the chapters the author states:
    " I realize in retrospect that my imaginary garden consisted of a cross between an English Country Garden and the hanging Gardens of Babylon."
    Glad I'm not the only one with that problem. LOL

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is just one more week for this swap and I want to try a quick little game here.
    I found a list of "six indispensable perennials" in a book
    What would be on your list of indispensable perennials. I'm really interested in knowing which things turn up most often in the lists,with a prize going to the list with the most matches.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

My guesses are going to be ..... which i must admit are some of my all time favs for holding up throughout the adversity of weather or climate.

Japanese anemone,
    Caryopteris,
    Geranium,
    Sedum,
    Aster,
    Amsonia

Jayeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jayeanne, four of your six are ones I have relied on in the past. Anemones and Amsonia are ones I recognize but have not tried yet. Anemonies I have wished for but the Amsonia is fairly new to me.
    I know the lists will vary according to region but I'm curious if there might be a strong "common thread". Two of your plants have been in my gardens wherever I have lived. Yep, they need to be able to hold up regardless of the weather.
    Thanks for posting. Hope we get some more lists.
    Bethb

• mcc371
    10 years ago

Hope everyone is staying warm today. Just wanted to say a huge Thank you so much to Melinda (ilovefarac) for the magazines. I got
    Container Gardens
    Gardening & outdoor living
    The American gardener
    (4) horticulture
    I don't think I can choose a favorite but I am suppose to go grocery shopping this afternoon and I so want to stay home by the fire and read!! But which one will I choose, I love them all!! This has been a great swap!

Thanks so much Melinda!!
    Have a beautiful day!!
    Tammy/

• mellen
    10 years ago

Jayeanne, box sent today.
    ME

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Indispensable Perennials
    Astilbe
    Crocosmia
    Coreopsis
    Hellebores
    Hemerocallis
    Peonies

So hard to pick only 6.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Here are my 6

Hemerocallis
    Shasta Daisy
    Bearded Iris
    Japanese Iris
    Hosta
    Coral Bells

Sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My package from VeeJa Carol arrived yesterday and it was a real treat. The magazines , English Gardens really set me to dreaming. So many great ideas and beautiful flowers in there.
    A book on saving and starting seed that Looks very helpful. A book on Square foot gardening just full of practical information and other goodies too.
    Carol also sent a handy little garden tote with pockets for scissors, string, tools etc.This will have a good home and hard use.Then, for pretty she sent a green heart and little ear rings,my favorite color and I'll be wearing the ear rings to town today.
    Thanks so much Carol. You're the greatest, Hugs
    beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we are winding down this swap with all packages received except Jayeanne, and hers is on the way.
    This has been fun.
    I'll give until Friday for guesses on the games and do one point for each correct guess. I plan to combine the correct answers from all three.
    I'm really enjoying the lists of indispensable perennials. Shirley and Sharon, you each have two from the list in the book and they are all plants that I used and enjoyed in my MD Gardens. All but astilbe did well there and, astilbe I liked well enough that I kept trying to find a spot where it was happy. Wonder if it will like Missouri any better.

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

A snowstorm hit today...I don't like snow. Probably won't be going to work tomorrow if the temps keep dropping.

Beth-I really like astilbe and found a great nursery last year that sold huge buckets of astible for $4.00 each. I asked her to please get different named ones and I would be back for more. Loved your swap and thank you for a great job.

We still need someone to take February. Can you believe January is almost gone.

January - Beth (In progress)
    February -
    March - Melinda
    April - Jayeanne
    May - Margaret
    June - Shirley
    July - Carol
    August -
    September -
    October - Annie
    November - Maryanne
    December -

I belong to our local Garden Club but wanted so bad to be in the Master Gardeners Group. The only day they have the class is Friday mornings from 8:30 to 12:00. I finally decided to ask my boss if I could come in at 12:00 on Fridays for 12 weeks. He called HR and they said yes. I am so excited. 12 weeks is a long time but I can do it.

Shirley

• sguanzon
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for the hard weather you all are receiving this winter. Out here in Phoenix, it's like we skipped winter altogether -it is so weird!

Jan-Feb are normally our coldest months but it's been in the mid to upper 70's all month even supposed to be 80 on Friday. I've been putting off putting in new plants thinking this is a trick and it will turn cold as soon as I do but no cold (or rain) in sight. Sure need some rain......

Sue G

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Sue-Your weather sounds wonderful. Ice everywhere this morning no school or work here. Hope you get the rain you need.

I have time today to work on February's swap so will post it shortly.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning ladies.
    Sue, I've been feeling guilty about how much I enjoy this weather while friends and family are miserable. LOL
    Shirley I'm sure you will love the MG classes. I took it about 8 years ago and thought It was one of the best things I have done. Thought about taking it again in MO but The price has gone up so much I decided not too.
    The prize for our game is now here hanging in my window.

• Melinda Hagen
    10 years ago

Just wanted to tell Beth thanks for hosting! I have really enjoyed this swap and am loving the magazines I rec'd! Thanks again Shirley!
    Hope all you ladies are staying warm and safe! Being cozy and enjoying the reading! Melinda

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Wow! MEllon!

Thank you ever so much for all the goodies you sent over!
    Container gardening through the year book (been reading all evening! love this one!!)
    complete guide to flower gardening book by BHG
    garden guide mag. (2)
    country living mag.
    simple and delicious mag
    country mag (2)
    garden gate mag
    mother earth news mag
    fine gardening mag (2)
    great gardens made easy mag
    farm and ranch mag
    living the country life mag

If you dont see me for while, Ill be reading and enjoying!! =)

thank you MEllon!! LOVE them ALL =)

Jayeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Shirley,
    I signed up to be hostess in Sept. It's back on the December thread.

January - Beth (In progress)
    February -
    March - Melinda
    April - Jayeanne
    May - Margaret
    June - Shirley
    July - Carol
    August -
    September - Jeanne
    October - Annie
    November - Maryanne
    December -

What great swaps everyone is receiving!
    We have snow here, too, and it's very cold. My husband said it went down to 9 degrees this morning (actual temperature) - that's very cold for us. However, I loved seeing the snow - it was the kind that sticks to all the tree branches, etc. and just beautiful!

Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jayeanne, looks like you hit the jackpot on your package. Yes, this has been a fun swap. I'm still reading my stack of goodies too. Thanks again Carol and all who played. Thanks to the "visitors too" Always good to have you all.
    Jeanne, your snow sounds beautiful. I'm missing it. Though, I admit I'm glad we did not decide to stay in MO for the winter.
    Today will be the last day for the game/ games. Sorry I made them so tough. I'll give the rest of the day if anyone wasts to make new ot different guesses.
    Scores as of this AM
    Shirley 3
    Jayeanne 1
    Sharon 2
    Have a great day.

• mellen
    10 years ago

Whew! Jayeanne, I was becoming really concerned about that box. I mailed it Monday! I mailed it in a flat rate box, but it was so heavy I was prepared to have the PO tell me it was too much for the flat rate. Also, I kept trying the tracking number and the online PO could never find it. Anyway......so glad it is there and you like what I sent.

Beth, thanks for a fun swap!
    ME

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The prize will be on it's way to Shirley on Monday. I'll need an address if someone would please send it to me.
    Here is the original list of 6 Indispensable Perennials. from the book Midwest Cottage Gardening
    hostas
    peonies
    daylilies
    rudbeckias
    sedums, and
    echinacea
    Thanks again to all for swapping this month
    Bethb

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Beth-Sending you my address and thank you so much. I love the prize....YEAH...You made our January so much brighter.

February - Shirley (In progress)
    March - Melinda
    April - Jayeanne
    May - Margaret
    June - Shirley
    July - Carol
    August -
    September - Jeanne
    October - Annie
    November - Maryanne
    December -

Jeanne-Thanks for the update...we now have most of the year covered.

Shirley