Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: obf jan swap, dreamin' by the fire

Posted by beth_b_kodiak zone 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 8:22

Welcome to the first Our Blooming Friends Swap for 2014. This swap will be a swap of either Gently used Garden oriented magazines or garden books.
I am suggesting a trade of four or five magazines. If you prefer books then one or two will be enough. The magazines must be intact,( no pages or coupons cut out). These items may be mailed by media mail which is economical OR in a flat rate priority envelope for just a bit under $6.00.this will hold 4 or 5 magazines or a fairly fat book.
January is my time to sit and read and dream about my garden. All the seed catalogs and magazines and books that I have saved up are both the spark and the fuel for my garden dreams.
This should be an easy swap with no shopping required. ( sorry, to those who just love to shop) as you will be sending things that you have around the house.
Each player will have the option of swapping; 1)magazines, 2)books, or 3) both.
If you choose to do both, it will be two separate swaps.
when you sign up, please state what you prefer to swap.
While we are waiting for sign ups and for the mailman it, would be fun if we take turns posting descriptions or photos of our "Dream Gardens".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: obf jan swap, dreamin' by the fire

I'm in this one! Just magazines is fine for me! Love this idea! Melinda

o

Welcome Melinda and Shirley. Glad to have you joining the swap.
For today I'm dreaming of a neat clean utility room. Seems like ever since we got home we have just been putting stuff in there every witch way. TODAY, it is getting sorted and cleaned out.

o

Well, I just chucked all my garden magazines, so I guess I will have to send books. I don't mind receiving books or magazines. If no one wants to receive books, I don't mind sitting this one out.
Sharon

o

Sharon, I may sign up to swap books. I know I have a duplicate of one of my books. I'll have to look and see if it can be easily found. (Lots of books at our house!)

Jeanne

o

Sharon, welcome to the swap. It has been a really LONG time since we were in a swap together. Very glad to have you joining.
I can never throw magazines out, LOL. I sometimes recycle them at the library though. I'm betting there will be others who want to swap books too.
Jeanne, we'd love to have you too, though I know you have a lot going on.
Hope all of you who are north and or east of me are staying safe and warm. Looks like great weather to be dreaming by a cozy fire, maybe with a cat on your lap and a dog by your feet.
Beth

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 13:46

Beth, this sounds like an easy one to do. I would GLADLY send books and magazines if someone wants some of both. But, I would happily just receive magazines. I have toooooo many of both. Make sense?

Hey, Sharon!

ME

o

I would love to sign up for this! I can do either the magazines or books...

Jayeanne

o

I found my dulpicate book and have another I can swap as well so sign me up!
Jeanne

o

Mellen,Jayeanne, and Jeanne welcome to the fireside. Glad to have you here. The coffee is hot, and tea or cocoa are ready in a minute.
Now, Mellen..... Do you want to send books but get magazines or do you want to send more than you get back, or do you want to be in for two trades.One of each. Sounds a bit like you wanted to send more than you get back. I'm sure Jack thinks I could/should do that but Waaaaahhhhh, I don't wannnnaaa. It's going to be a long winter and I need stuff to read.
My dream garden for this year is looking like mostly veggies and herbs but I'm still in the dreaming stages. This one is from 2011. I was only there one summer but about half of the stuff was from GW trades. Thanks gals. seems I take you alomg wherever I go.

o

What beautiful picture of plants! So wish spring were here! I just mentioned magazines as I've got tons, but if the majority want to go for books, I can do that also. Just whoever you partner me with will get the magazines or the books,depending on what they prefer.I have no problem with either! I'm easy! Melinda

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 11:18

Ummmm, nice and toasty here, Beth. I would prefer to just get magazines and send waaayyyy more than I receive.

I just ordered seeds from Remy last evening. I will tell about my dream garden sometime this month.
ME

o

I am going to pass this month. I have tons of gardening books and more magazines than I can read. I am so far behind in reading what I have.
I hope you all have fun and I will be stopping by to see what everyone sends and receives.
Margo

o

Sounds like fun, think I will join too! I enjoy looking at garden magazines an have some to send so count me in!

Tammy

o

Beth, I like the idea of your swap 'Dreamin by the Fireside.'
Sounds so warm and cozy ... coffee for me please, heavy on the milk and sugar please. :o)

The flower picture is pretty, but I'm enjoying this picture of winter wonderland outside my window. I worked the weekend and am so happy I have today off!
Took the dog for a walk around the neighborhood this morning (in the early morn, just before sunrise). Saw quite a few snowmen .... gave me a smile!
Once home, hubby and I shoveled ... can you believe the snowblower is broken. :o(
Took Christmas decorations down ... only thing left is the tree, will leave that up till this weekend.

Hey Mellen!
Sharon

o

MArgo,we'll miss you but sure do understand. Please do stop by to say hello again.
Tammy glad to have you join, pull up a pillow in front of the fire and warm up while I get coffee.
Sharon, Your coffee is ready. How about a brownie to make up for the snow shoveling. Relax and enjoy your day off..
I'll be back to post a list of who is in on this swap. You gals sip and chat while I'l in the kitchen.

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 16:13

Picture this.......my sister has an American Bulldog, about 70 pounds. She bundled her up with a dog sweater and coat and went outside for her morning 'relief.' They had not gone far when Angel-the dog-fell over cuz her feet got cold. Just like a tree falling and her legs sticking straight out. Now, please think of this with humor. Angel looked up at her like, ''Um, Mom, what just happened?'' They didnt stay out long.
Mellen

o

Welllllllllllllll I'm home....shoot I should have canceled my flight until things warmed up here. I went from 84 degree weather down to let's see 6 degrees right now. Brrrrr it's cold, I definitely need some hot chocolate and sit by the fire.

Mellen-Poor Angel, now that's cold when a dog refuses to go outside because its cold.

Beth-Magazines for me...I have tons (some never took the plastic wrap off yet) but can't resist. Some day I hope to catch up and read them all.

Some crafts I did for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photo 006_zps20d62531.jpg

photo 004_zps1bde23f1.jpg

photo 029_zpsa998270c.jpg

photo 028_zpsa69bfcb6.jpg

photo 026_zpsbb0c8662.jpg

photo 027_zps56150c45.jpg

photo 022_zpsdfc2df8b.jpg

o

Wow, Shirley I bet that was quite a shock to the system!! And your crafts are fabulous! Love them all! Nice ideas!
Welcome to all, some I know some I don't! Hope everyone is staying in where it is warm and cozy.
Have a great day all! Melinda

o

Beth,

I don't think I have much to offer in the garden magazine/book department as I donated so much to a local group a couple of months ago....but I will double check this afternoon and get back to you.

Oh my....I am getting chilly thinking about Angel falling over in the cold!!!!

Shirley, I trust you had a great time in Florida. Do you sell your Christmas crafts at Christmas boutiques?

To all, stay warm and stay safe!!

Annie

o

Thanks Melinda I love making them.

Annie-I started out thinking I would sell them but I have kept them all...I have around 25 now. There's no two alike, I never know what I will find to make one so it's hodge podge.

Shirley

o

Here is a lovely picture of what I wish my hosta's looked like! It came from New Hampshire Hostas. But I can dream and look forward to spring coming. We're not as bad as so many of you out there, but still have some ice and snow on the ground and getting more today and tomorrow. We rarely get any snow but maybe 1 or 2 little ones a year.
But I love this picture. Hope you all will enjoy and dream of warmer days!

o

Shirley, LOVE the crafts. Sleds, snowmen and bears are among my favorite things. Very very nice work.
Mellen, in my minds eye, the fallen Angel was very funny, a good one for Americas funniest home videos. Hope the weather warms up soon for all effected, including Angel.
Melinda, that picture is beautiful. I have a perfect place for hostas but so many other things have higher priority for the next summer or two. Thanks for sharing.
Swap list for Dreamin' by the fire
Melinda....... magazines
Sharon.........Books
Jeanne..........Books
Mellen............Both
Jayeanne.......either
Tammy.............Magazines
Shirley.............Magazines
Beth ..............Either/both
We till have a few days for signups but this is s good list so far.
Stay warm Stay safe

o

Melinda I love the hostas..would love to copy that flower bed exactly like they have it.

o

Beth,

OK, I checked to see if I have anything...gardening books/magazines for the swap. As I suspected, there is nothing left after my donation. I realize now I was overly generous in that I donated some gardening books that should have never left this house.....possibly I had enjoyed a bit to much vino...LOL!

Have fun!!

Annie

o

Oh Annie, That is sad. Nice that they went to a good use but we will miss you.
I love to share my books but I tend to try to buy another copy before I part with the original unless I'm sure it ha s nothing that I might ever use.
Well, please stop and say hello or tell us what you are dreaming of in the garden
I need to think up some sort of game but I'm drawing a blank for now.
Beth

o
bump

We still have the weekend for sign ups then I'll post partners and a game
Hope everyone has a good weekend with nicer weather than last week.
BB

o

Raining here again today. Need to clean house and go to my Grandsons basketball game at 6:00. We had 10 trees topped back in the Summer and need to rent a chipper to chip them up for mulch. Need some nice weather on a week-end for this. If you rent it on Saturday you only get charged for one day and can use it until Monday.

Shirley

o
GAME, part one

this is part one of the first game. There will be two parts.
Your first challenge is to guess the specific names of seeds that I have ordered for this spring/summer. I ordered lots and lots from at least 5 different places.
There is a wide variety of flowers, veggies and herbs
post a list of fifteen guesses and be as specific as possible
For example, not just Zinnias but Will Rodgers, Zinnia or Marketmore cucumber.
I will reply with the # you have right but will not say which ones are the right answers.
I shopped at Pine Tree Seeds, Sample Seeds,Baker Creek,and Botanical Interests and at least two others.
I even ordered seeds from Ireland this year. Guess I went a little crazy.
I'll take guesses on this until Saturday.

o

Clues to help narrow your guesses.
1 there are only 2 hybrids in the list
2 No,cucumbers, peas, corn,broccoli,pole beans,peppers or egg plants.
3 no pansies, petunias, snapdragons, marigolds or salvias
4 only two tomatoes. I bought about 20 packs in the fall at Baker Creek
5 a few flower families I purchased several different varieties/ colors

o

Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 21:13

Hmmm......you ordered from Sample Seeds. Remy is a pretty good friend. I wonder if she would......NAH!!! Just kidding!!!

Good game, Beth. Just have not had much time to come up with some answers yet. I will work on it. I received a package from Remy today. I LOOOOOVe her place.

Pretty quiet here. But I think after the holidays it is kind of a down time. I'm guessing many of us are catching our breath.

Looking forward to partners. I will have to go dig through my books and find some magazines to send.

ME

o

Mellen, I definitely remember Remmy. Someone from GW visited her and posted neat pictures. I've gotten seeds from her before and been happy with them.

PARTNERS
Sharon and Jeanne will trade books
Mellen and Jayenne will trade ....either or both
Melinda sends to Tammy
Tammy sends to Shirley
Shirley sends to Melinda these three signed up for magazines.
Carol Veeja signed up over the weekend and I will trade with her as I signed for either or/both.
it will be fun to see what these trades are.
Please post when you mail
have fun

o

Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 10:12

Jayeanne, I will need your address. I am so glad that I am sending to you. You were so thoughtful in your package to me a couple of months ago. Are books AND magazines okay? Do you get 'Garden Gate' or 'Fine Gardening' magazines?

ME

o

Hey ME!

I just sent you an email, hope you get it ok.

Jayeanne

o

Sharon,
I need your address in order to send books to you.
You should be able to access my e-mail through GardenWeb. If your e-mail is accessible, I couldn't get it to connect so I am posting here.
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Sent an email to Tammy! I am out of town but will be home in a day or so. If you don't get it please let me know! Thanks! I hope all you ladies have a great day! Melinda

o

Sharon,
I found your address so I will be sending soon!
Jeanne

o

Melinda....Working on your package, need to know if you receive Birds and Blooms Magazines? I have a few ideas but need to know about this one.

Beth - I will work on the game hopefully tonight after I visit Mom in the nursing home. I have to plan every evening to the minute. LOL

Off to the gym...I do this during my lunch hour.

Shirley

o

Good to see folks getting set up for their swaps. Hope to hear from Veeja soon.
Shirley,Mellen and all, hope you get a chance to take a guess at this game. I wanted to use these answers for the next game.
It is warm here today and I'm having a hard time remembering that it is NOT spring and I can't plant anything yet.
Still dreaming and wishing.
beth

o

Jeanne, I just sent you an email with my address and asking for yours.
Was I suppose to have received a list with all the addresses of this group?

Sharon

o

Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:09

Celosia argentea var. spicata ‘Cramer’s Amazon
Celosia cristata ‘Coral Garden Mix
Celosia cristata ‘Cramer’s Burgundy’
Celosia ‘Forest Fire’
Celosia plumosa ‘Kimono Salmon Pink
Celosia plumosa ‘Pampas Plume Mix
Coleus ‘Black Dragon’
Coleus ‘Rainbow Mix’
Coleus Coral Sunset
Coleus Mosaic
Coleus Scarlet
Coleus sunset

ME

o

Sharon,
I mailed your books today. I hope you like them. They are traveling by media mail so I hope they don't take too long to arrive.

Keeping this short, everyone. I'm busy getting ready for the baby shower I am hosting for my younger daughter on Saturday. I had no idea it was this much work, but she so deserves it! ;-)

Jeanne

o

Mellen, great guesses and you do have one correct. I bought a few types of celosia for my cutting garden and you got one of them. Never knew there were so many types.
I mailed to Carol today Hope there some things there that you will enjoy and be able to use.

o

Shirley- Your magazines are in the mail today so you should get them in a day or two. This has been fun deciding which to send and which magazines I can't part with.

Beth- Thank you for hosting this swap.

o

MaryEllen mailed your package today, hope you enjoy everything =)

Jayeanne

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 15:02

Thanks, Jayeanne. I will be looking for it. Yours will not go out until Tuesday as Monday is a no mail day.

1 celosia correct, huh? :)

ME

o

Beth here's a few guesses
ASTIBLE BELLA MIX
CAMPANULA PRIMULIFOLIA
CELOSIA FOREST FIRE
CENTAUREA DEALBATA
CYMBALARIA MURALIS
DELPHINIUM CLIVEDON BEAUTY
DIANTHUS RAINBOW LOVLINESS MIX
GAILLARDIA GOBLIN
GAURA THE BRIDE
GERANIUM ALBA
POPPY DOUBLE TANGERINE GEM
PENSTEMON FIRECRACKER
PENSTEMON BLUE SPRINGS
PENSTEMON ROCKY MTN.
PENSTEMON WILD PINK
BALLOON FLOWER DOUBLE BLUE
KNAUTICA MACEDONICA
LOBELIA SIPHILITICA
LUPINE BLUE
LYCHNIS BURNING LOVE

Shirley

o
RE: NEW: obf jan swap

Bert from allthings plants is hosting a co-op for lilies (Asiatic, Orientals and etc if anyone is interested) these lilies are at a great price....so hope everyone wants to participate. LMK and I will give you the details.

Shirley

o

Good morning ladies. Looks like GW quit sending ma automatic updates. Sorry I missed the last couple posts
Yes Mellen, you have one Celosia correct and Shirley has one correct too. Nice work gals. Mellen will get an extra point for being the first guesser.
Now Im going to challenge myself to set up a scramble for you to do on this cold snowy day.
Back in about an hour with scrambled words

o

Gosh, I have sure missed a lot! Went to my son's for a week and then came home and had a funeral for my friend's husband who died from heart attack unexpectedly. Then have a bug of some kind. But have magazines ready to go. I will be mailing them today Tammy. I better go back and check out the game as don't know what that's about, or is it too late to play! Have a great day, Melinda

o

Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 14:11

Just here for a minute.....have been with my sister since Sunday. She has been to the ER twice since Saturday with lower abdominal pain. She will be having surgery tomorrow will continue to be here the rest of the week. The reason I am sharing this is since I won't be getting my package out this week. Jayeanne, hubby is home so when your package comes he will be there to get it.

Take care, all.
ME

o

Not to late at all Melinda.
I'm posting a quick one here for the bad weather break.
Unscramble these names. You can send them to me if you want to, rather than posting here.
Points go to the person who gets the name correct first.
1) ihivlymnpbcdtuoudieelnea
2)aaeoleeuppssmcmoalampipus
3) slcchuebigdnalutriarosenec
4) hibaaerssswtdllniviinooun
5) sipkneeribudcurara
Hope I have not messed this up before even starting

o

Jeanne, got your books already! I haven't had a chance to look at them, but I know I'm really going to like them.
A Cozy Book of Tea Time Treats
Tea Gardens Book

HOw cute they go together!

sharon

o

Sharon,
What a coincidence. Your books to me arrived today. I opened the package and thought they looked great, but it was a quick look. A bit earlier this evening I stopped to run an errand on the way to my meeting and someone really rammed into the back of my car when we were in very congested traffic. I'm sore and have ice on my back and don't get me started on how upset I get when anything happens to my car. It is definitely in need of several days at a car repair shop. Anyway, I'm trying to remind myself it could be worse...

Thanks so much, Sharon and I'll hopefully get to look at the books tomorrow. Trying to get my mind off the accident right now. They always say your neck and back are worse the day after so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

Thanks for being the hostess, Beth. With the baby shower for my daugher this month, I'm sorry I haven't joined in the conversations more.

Jeanne

o

received a bunch of great mags from Beth today, reminded me I was in a swap, thankyou beth and sorry I will be late, will mail off by friday, sorry forgot all about this swap, am hunting around for mags you should like, hugs to jack and all my bloomin friends. I am officially senile

o

Carol-So nice to see you...we miss you when you are away. Glad you got to join in Beth's swap.

Jeanne-Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you won't be to sore tomorrow, the ice will help.

Mellen-I will be praying for your Sister tomorrow. I hope the surgery goes well. Keep us informed.

Tammy-I received my magazines today....yeah you sent some I have never seen so excited to check them out.

Southern Living Comfort Foods
Hobby Farms
Country Gardens
Womans Day
Fine Gardening

I was hoping it would snow tailgate deep so I could read these magazines....Tammy thank you so much.

Beth I love the magazine swap...great idea.

Hope to tackle those words tomorrow.

Shirley

o

Mellen, so sorry to hear about your sister. Sending prayers for a good outcome and quick recovery.
Oh Jeanne, that is bad news for you too, I'm predicting your aches will be worse today, even if the injuries are minor. The muscles tighten up after an injury and patients often find places the next day that ache more that they expected. Not, trying to spread gloom here , just figure it is good to know that it's pretty "normal". Take time to rest and recover.
Sharon, tea gardens is a new concept to me,other than the Oriental type. Strange, I always think of those more as Restaurants than gardens.
Shirley, Southern Living Comfort foods sounds heavenly!!!!!! I could sure get into trouble with that one.
Carol, no problem and no hurry. Nothing urgent or exciting going on here and I will enjoy them whenever they arrive.
Hugs and warm wishes to all
bethb

o

Shirley- I am so glad you received them. Happy gardening I mean reading! LOL!
Mellen- Prayers for your sister for a complete healing.
Jeanne- You are in my prayers, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Beth- This has been a fun swap, Thank You for hosting it. I have enjoyed it.

Have a beautiful day Everyone!
Tammy

o

Mellen- Oh gosh so sorry to hear about your sister, I do hope everything goes well for her and wishing her a speedy recovery. No need to worry about me. Yes your package should arrive sometime this week. I do hope all goes well for her. Will keep her and you in my prayers.
Hugs, Jayeanne

o

Tammy-I took one of my books to work and had a wonderful time reading it. Every time I heard footsteps I had to put it in a drawer. LOL

Mellen-Praying your Sister came through her surgery ok. When you can give us an update.

Whew Beth I'm trying to unscramble the words but to no avail. Are they more than one word?

Shirley

o

hey everyone, hope you are all warm and safe.

Jeanne, so sorry to hear about your car accident. the other vehicle insurance company owes you a rental while yours is being repaired, and they should provide you with a vehicle similar to yours. glad to hear you aren't feeling too bad, but I would definitely do some bath soaks because you will be still. you're right, it could be worse, so glad it was not.

mary ellen, your sister is in my prayers as is the family.

Shirley, I agree, those words are insane. I see rudbeckia in one of them, but the remaining letters don't make sense as to the type, at least they don't make sense to me.

we got about 12 inches of snow. have I said lately how much I despise winter anymore? give me spring/fall weather year round and I will be a happy girl. anyone know of such a place? if so, please share, and i'm packing tomorrow and going.

carol, carol, carol.....you make me laugh!

my granddaughter and I went to a MLK day of service on Monday at one of the local friends schools. it was such a touching service at the start of the day, they had all youngsters reading the I have a Dream speech, really was compelling. then we set off and made teddy bears for a local agency. was a lot of fun. if I do that same activity next year, i must remember a thimble,

i have a video chat interview this week. strange, but i guess in this day of modern technology, this is what it is. the interviewers are in California, and i'm in PA. saves on air fare, that's for certain. wish me luck, please! i'm hoping for this job, it sounds quite promising.

everyone have fun reading your books/mags.

stay well, stay warm
maryanne

o

Great photo Maryanne. Glad you were able to have such an enjoyable day off with grandaughter.
yes, those words were crazy. they were making me crazy trying to scramble them up. That's why I only did 5.. I thought I was jumbling up my brain. LOL I have a prize in mind to brighten the day of the winner but I can't name it until I have it in my hands. Don't want to promise something that does not materialize.
It is early but we are leaving on what should be a two day shopping expedition for me. Zippity doo dah!!!

o

Maryanne,

San Diego (but expensive and I'm not a great California fan except for Disneyland :)

Beth,

I know you are in Arizona but I forget the name of the place. I remember it's somewhere I've never been and I've lived here all my life. When you "go to town" what town are you going to? Phoenix?

Sue G

o

Maryanne, would you need to move?
Sue, we go to Phoenix only to visit family or if we "need" something for the RV. Most routine shopping is done in Prescott.
Today we are going first to Quartzite , for Jack. Then to Yuma for me. Some sun by a pool and then shopping. Love to go down there and see all the fresh veggies and fruit. Last time we drove out into the countryside and watched the cultivation and harvesting for several hours. We are a pair of old time farmers and are amazed at how things are done now.
Tomorrow we'll hit Algodones for some food and music and then back home

o

Hi Maryanne great picture, thanks for sharing. The only way you can have the perfect climate year round is to live in the Mountains Spring, Summer & Fall and then go to Florida in the Winter time. I will probably do just that when I retire. This has to be the coldest Winter on record here.
What is bad is we have two months of Spring, two months of Summer, two months of Fall and 6 months of Winter.

Beth-Have fun on your shopping trip. I do love shopping trips.

Shirley

o

Shirley, you are SO right about the weather. I spent years looking for a place with perfect weather. Living in Alaska but spending two months in MD seeped perfect to me for years but it was expensive!
Our excursion was really fun but while gone, we missed a surprise visit from an old friend. Oh well, we'll catch up again this summer.
Hope everyone has been weathering the weather OK
I see Fairbanks is over 40 degrees today. Amazing.

o

Just checking in to see what everyone has been up to. So happy to see the picture of you with your granddaughter, Maryanne. I hope the interview went well. Isn't the newer technology something different?

Anyway, I meant to come back and post the names of the books I received. They are wonderful! All three are by Rosemary Verey. The titles are:
English Country Gardens
Good Planting Plans
Garden Plans.
Very nice books and very useful. I haven't seen any of them before.

I continue to be very sore and in many places from my accident. It got worse over the next few days (Beth, you were right) and I haven't gotten to a stage where I can notice improvement yet. Obviously my neck and back are the worst, but I've got pain going down my right leg and arm and some other places hurt, too.. I've been to my medical doctor, my chiropractor, and for x-rays. My doctor had me schedule physical therapy, but that won't start for about 10 more days. It's odd how you get worse after the first day - I think the adrenalin must keep you from feeling as much pain at first.

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. Obviously I want to be able to get back to doing all the things I normally do. (Maybe my husband is getting a little tired of reaching for things, lifting things, and bending for things, but he's a good sport about it.)

Jeanne

o

Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 15:37

Jeanne, I am so sorry to hear that you are hurting. Hope you can get some relief somehow.

Maryanne, LOVE the pic of you and GD. She is beautiful just like you.

I am home now. Sister is doing amazingly well and on the road to recovery. Hysterectomys are so different now. 3 little incisions, pull it out from 'there,' and 2 week recovery time. She is feeling really, really good now!

Jayeanne, got your box........magazines-Organic Gardening, Better Homes and Gardens, Wellbella, and Southern Living. I will take these on vacay in a week-and-a-half. Also, a bypass pruner---I never seem to have enough of these. I even carry one in my car. :) And, seeds-Viola 'Helen Mount,' Petunia 'Royalty Mix,' and Poppy 'Frosted Salmon.' Nice! Thank you so very much for all that you sent! I have your box all packed and ready to go on Monday......depending on the possible blizzard tonight and tomorrow. If not Monday then Tuesday, for sure.

ME

o

Sending prayers to all who have problems and needs. May everyone's family and things get worked out! I have been outside most of the day! Been really cold and got up to 50's so seemed great!
I rec'd my package from Shirley! She sent me
2 Birds and Blooms- I love these
Garden Gate- I love these also
Mary Janes Farm-can't wait to check that out!
Good selections as I can't wait to relax and read them!
She also sent a delightful little homemade card and a prayer rock with a verse! I loved it! So cute and unique!
Thanks again for another great swap this month! My arms are so tired, just can't seem to gain strength in them since my surgery and been almost 3 years! But I try! Gotta go, my arms are shaking just typing after working in yard!
Have good evening everyone!

o

Melinda-Glad your magazines arrived. I sent you an e-mail that I forgot to put the card in your package with a years subscriptions to Better Homes and Garden. Hope you enjoy them.

Mellen-Yes hysterectomys are so easy now and the recovery a breeze. Never had one but everyone who has does very well.

Jeanne-Hope the aches and pains are getting less. Hang in there, better days ahead.

Off to the nursing home to see Mom and then hope to walk the greenway.

Shirley

o

If anyone is interested, I just posted some Daylily seeds on the seed exchange.
sharon

o

Jeanne, hope you are beginning to feel some of the pains and aches easing up.
Mellen, glad for the good news about your sister.
I have been sitting here garden dreaming while reading the book,Midwest Cottage Gardens.
In the intro to one of the chapters the author states:
" I realize in retrospect that my imaginary garden consisted of a cross between an English Country Garden and the hanging Gardens of Babylon."
Glad I'm not the only one with that problem. LOL

o
RE: NEW: Quick little game

There is just one more week for this swap and I want to try a quick little game here.
I found a list of "six indispensable perennials" in a book
What would be on your list of indispensable perennials. I'm really interested in knowing which things turn up most often in the lists,with a prize going to the list with the most matches.

o

My guesses are going to be ..... which i must admit are some of my all time favs for holding up throughout the adversity of weather or climate.

Japanese anemone,
Caryopteris,
Geranium,
Sedum,
Aster,
Amsonia

Jayeanne

o

Hi Jayeanne, four of your six are ones I have relied on in the past. Anemones and Amsonia are ones I recognize but have not tried yet. Anemonies I have wished for but the Amsonia is fairly new to me.
I know the lists will vary according to region but I'm curious if there might be a strong "common thread". Two of your plants have been in my gardens wherever I have lived. Yep, they need to be able to hold up regardless of the weather.
Thanks for posting. Hope we get some more lists.
Bethb

o

Hope everyone is staying warm today. Just wanted to say a huge Thank you so much to Melinda (ilovefarac) for the magazines. I got
Container Gardens
Gardening & outdoor living
The American gardener
(4) horticulture
I don't think I can choose a favorite but I am suppose to go grocery shopping this afternoon and I so want to stay home by the fire and read!! But which one will I choose, I love them all!! This has been a great swap!

Thanks so much Melinda!!
Have a beautiful day!!
Tammy/

o

Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 15:39

Jayeanne, box sent today.
ME

o

Indispensable Perennials
Astilbe
Crocosmia
Coreopsis
Hellebores
Hemerocallis
Peonies

So hard to pick only 6.

Shirley

o

Here are my 6

Hemerocallis
Shasta Daisy
Bearded Iris
Japanese Iris
Hosta
Coral Bells

Sharon

o
RE: NEW: Thank you Carol

My package from VeeJa Carol arrived yesterday and it was a real treat. The magazines , English Gardens really set me to dreaming. So many great ideas and beautiful flowers in there.
A book on saving and starting seed that Looks very helpful. A book on Square foot gardening just full of practical information and other goodies too.
Carol also sent a handy little garden tote with pockets for scissors, string, tools etc.This will have a good home and hard use.Then, for pretty she sent a green heart and little ear rings,my favorite color and I'll be wearing the ear rings to town today.
Thanks so much Carol. You're the greatest, Hugs
beth

o

Looks like we are winding down this swap with all packages received except Jayeanne, and hers is on the way.
This has been fun.
I'll give until Friday for guesses on the games and do one point for each correct guess. I plan to combine the correct answers from all three.
I'm really enjoying the lists of indispensable perennials. Shirley and Sharon, you each have two from the list in the book and they are all plants that I used and enjoyed in my MD Gardens. All but astilbe did well there and, astilbe I liked well enough that I kept trying to find a spot where it was happy. Wonder if it will like Missouri any better.

o

A snowstorm hit today...I don't like snow. Probably won't be going to work tomorrow if the temps keep dropping.

Beth-I really like astilbe and found a great nursery last year that sold huge buckets of astible for $4.00 each. I asked her to please get different named ones and I would be back for more. Loved your swap and thank you for a great job.

We still need someone to take February. Can you believe January is almost gone.

January - Beth (In progress)
February -
March - Melinda
April - Jayeanne
May - Margaret
June - Shirley
July - Carol
August -
September -
October - Annie
November - Maryanne
December -

I belong to our local Garden Club but wanted so bad to be in the Master Gardeners Group. The only day they have the class is Friday mornings from 8:30 to 12:00. I finally decided to ask my boss if I could come in at 12:00 on Fridays for 12 weeks. He called HR and they said yes. I am so excited. 12 weeks is a long time but I can do it.

Shirley

o

I am so sorry for the hard weather you all are receiving this winter. Out here in Phoenix, it's like we skipped winter altogether -it is so weird!

Jan-Feb are normally our coldest months but it's been in the mid to upper 70's all month even supposed to be 80 on Friday. I've been putting off putting in new plants thinking this is a trick and it will turn cold as soon as I do but no cold (or rain) in sight. Sure need some rain......

Sue G

o

Sue-Your weather sounds wonderful. Ice everywhere this morning no school or work here. Hope you get the rain you need.

I have time today to work on February's swap so will post it shortly.

Shirley

o

Good morning ladies.
Sue, I've been feeling guilty about how much I enjoy this weather while friends and family are miserable. LOL
Shirley I'm sure you will love the MG classes. I took it about 8 years ago and thought It was one of the best things I have done. Thought about taking it again in MO but The price has gone up so much I decided not too.
The prize for our game is now here hanging in my window.

o

Just wanted to tell Beth thanks for hosting! I have really enjoyed this swap and am loving the magazines I rec'd! Thanks again Shirley!
Hope all you ladies are staying warm and safe! Being cozy and enjoying the reading! Melinda

o

Wow! MEllon!

Thank you ever so much for all the goodies you sent over!
Container gardening through the year book (been reading all evening! love this one!!)
complete guide to flower gardening book by BHG
garden guide mag. (2)
country living mag.
simple and delicious mag
country mag (2)
garden gate mag
mother earth news mag
fine gardening mag (2)
great gardens made easy mag
farm and ranch mag
living the country life mag

If you dont see me for while, Ill be reading and enjoying!! =)

thank you MEllon!! LOVE them ALL =)

Jayeanne

o

Shirley,
I signed up to be hostess in Sept. It's back on the December thread.

January - Beth (In progress)
February -
March - Melinda
April - Jayeanne
May - Margaret
June - Shirley
July - Carol
August -
September - Jeanne
October - Annie
November - Maryanne
December -

What great swaps everyone is receiving!
We have snow here, too, and it's very cold. My husband said it went down to 9 degrees this morning (actual temperature) - that's very cold for us. However, I loved seeing the snow - it was the kind that sticks to all the tree branches, etc. and just beautiful!

Jeanne

o

Jayeanne, looks like you hit the jackpot on your package. Yes, this has been a fun swap. I'm still reading my stack of goodies too. Thanks again Carol and all who played. Thanks to the "visitors too" Always good to have you all.
Jeanne, your snow sounds beautiful. I'm missing it. Though, I admit I'm glad we did not decide to stay in MO for the winter.
Today will be the last day for the game/ games. Sorry I made them so tough. I'll give the rest of the day if anyone wasts to make new ot different guesses.
Scores as of this AM
Shirley 3
Jayeanne 1
Sharon 2
Have a great day.

o

Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 11:59

Whew! Jayeanne, I was becoming really concerned about that box. I mailed it Monday! I mailed it in a flat rate box, but it was so heavy I was prepared to have the PO tell me it was too much for the flat rate. Also, I kept trying the tracking number and the online PO could never find it. Anyway......so glad it is there and you like what I sent.

Beth, thanks for a fun swap!
ME

o

The prize will be on it's way to Shirley on Monday. I'll need an address if someone would please send it to me.
Here is the original list of 6 Indispensable Perennials. from the book Midwest Cottage Gardening
hostas
peonies
daylilies
rudbeckias
sedums, and
echinacea
Thanks again to all for swapping this month
Bethb

o

Beth-Sending you my address and thank you so much. I love the prize....YEAH...You made our January so much brighter.

February - Shirley (In progress)
March - Melinda
April - Jayeanne
May - Margaret
June - Shirley
July - Carol
August -
September - Jeanne
October - Annie
November - Maryanne
December -

Jeanne-Thanks for the update...we now have most of the year covered.

Shirley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here