Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners

Michelle Reynolds
16 years ago

Hello

Micke, Galium, and Micyrey(my self) would like to start a new monthly trade group. this group(Cracked Pot Gardeners) would be for swapping plants, bulbs, and seeds. we don't want to swap many gifts and some people might not want to receive "gifts" at all just plants, seeds, and bulbs. we also will have a chat room where we can get together and have little "parties". we will be limiting the players in the swap to 12 people, and we will be checking the rate and review site before we ok anyone, we just want to be sure everyone is a reliable trader. we are not looking for people to send large heavy boxes, just a few plants, seeds, or bulbs/tubers, shipping is expencive so we just want to keep it simple make some new friends and share some plants. everyone interested will have to fallow a few rules.

rules

1. send good healthy plants, and seeds that are no more than 2 years old

2. ship priority, when shipping plants

3. ship by 20th of the month(unless you notify of late shipping)

4. send only plants, bulbs and seeds unless otherwise noted in the recipients wants list

5. put info on GW trade page titled FOR SWAPERS to help players to pick plants for you, and note if you will like gifts other than plants, or just plants, or just seeds

6. post when you have sent your box , and post when you get your box

7. all disputes will be decided by at least 2 of the founders(Micke, galium, or Micyrey)

8. use delivery confirmation always

9. we want people that will be sending every month, emergencies are understandable, just please notify us.

If you are interested, our 1st month for swapping will be February, we will be having a seed swap, we will pick partners and send our partners an envie of seeds and a nice card they might like. Each month will have a different theme, partners and theme will be posted at the beginning of each month.

please post here if you are interested.

thanks and have a Happy New Year

micyrey, Micke, and Galium

Comments (146)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Well I was gonna spank Becki for asking for the daylily seeds I wanted, but I'll just wish ya good luck, lol. Julie stole my computer all afternoon. So just got on here. Seriously Becki, wish you the best of luck with your seeds and hope to trade in years to come:) Thats whats great about daylily seeds, surprises in the future!

Pixie, you've never grown wonder eggs? Girl, I have to have them every year, so interesting.....If Mellen runs out, I have plenty! lol

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

Mellen,

I would love to have some of your seeds. I'm interested in trying some of your
    wonder eggs
    snapdragon-apricot color
    cup and saucer
    blue popcorn

I've grown snap dragons once and would love to grow them again. The wonder eggs sounds fascinating. I would like to try them out for the first time. It sounds like an experiment! Thanks in advance!

-hmle2217

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

Mellen, are wonder eggs the same as the ornamental egg tree?
    I need to come up with a list of seeds like yours. i have so many that I know I can't possibly plant them all.

I am going to try wintersowing the coneflowers tomorrow. It was 22 degrees here tonight so needless to say I didn't get anything done this day.

Hmle, I have some snapdragon seeds I can share. they are dwarfs in a mix of salmon and whites.

scotrell, I hope those castor beans grow wonderfully for you.

Does anybody have an idea of what a white trumpet vine would be. I have some seeds that look similar to campsis radicans, these are labled white. I have never seen a white trumpet vine.

I am usually not picky about named varieties, but I do like to know what color they should be. most of my planting beds are a mix anyway, I cannot really call them cottage gardens, they are just a combo of things I really like...........

this spring, I am planning to tear out my foundation planting and start over. I have banana trees and lots of wonderful little palms there now, but every winter I either have to look at dead plants or take them up. I think I am going to plant camellias or banana shrubs if I can find them.

I can spend my whole winter planning....I have at least 2 months before I have to do the actual work right?

Gotta go check the birds, hope everyone has a great night. Linda

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

I tried to look through the postings to see what others wanted so I think some of these are still unclaimed. I have no idea what wonder eggs are, but now all of you have me curious... also curious about the blue popcorn. However, as for blue popcorn and wonder egss, I saw others had asked for these and if you are out, no problem.
    So - if you have them - I would like:
    -purple daylily
    -zinnia-giant pure white
    -columbine-maroon
    -cleome-purple
    -daylily-creamy yellow
    -blue popcorn
    -wonder eggs
    -columbine-dark blue
    Thanks a lot. You are so kind to share with us. Let me send you postage or I can look to see if I have something on your "wanted list."
    Thanks!

Jeanne

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne I'll go through mine tonmnorrow if lil Kenzie will allow, but I have plenty of 'wonder egg' They really are interesting plants. You'd love them, I'm sure.....I do enjoy watching those little eggs grow and turn yellow.

• mellen
    16 years ago

Wow! This is great!!! And to think I had already put them in the sack that was beside me to go to the garbage. EEEK!!! I will do my very best to get these split out, packaged up, and sent sometime this week. Sassy, girl, I think I can find some more daylily seeds for you in my "stash." I'd be glad to share. I may be back asking for addresses if I can't find some. Thanks everyone!
    Mary Ellen

• galium
    16 years ago

Sassy-I have some daylily seeds I can send you. Let me know if you want them.
    Mariann

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

wow!

mellen
    I would love some of the Maltese Cross, this plant is so hard to find. any stray daylilies are also welcome here. But do let me send postage.

Frances

NOID is a staple in this garden. . . lol
    I have 3 named daylilies, 3 clematis and some alliums with names, but everything else is pretty generic.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Linda, I think we missed your question about the wonder egg being the same as the ornamental egg tree, yes they are the same, I've also heard them called easter egg plant.
    Its neat to watch the egg grower bigger and then watch them turn slightly yellow until they are the color of a lemon. Pick them off and let them dry and you'll have a
    ka-zillion seeds in one egg. lol Like I said, if Mellen runs short I have plenty to go around. I've found them to be very viable seed.

Mellen I'm always thrilled to get daylilly seed. Thanks girl. Right now you just worry about getting these other girls taken care of. I'll be here.

Mariann thanks to you also, would love to have some if you have extra.

Frances....nothing wrong with NOID's girl.

• mellen
    16 years ago

Hey, gals, I am out early from school today due to snow! WooHoo!!! Gives me time to work on sending you seeds. Sassy, my supply of "wonder eggs" is minimal so would you send to Jeanne/Sandlapper, please? Also, I do have plenty of daylily seeds tucked away in my stash that I can share with those who asked so no problem with filling those wants.

Fcofill, I am so sorry, but I can't remember your name. I will need your address. Would you send it to me, and I can send you seeds? Addy is jlpmep@netins.net.

Becki, did your kids have school today or get out early? We got quite a lot of snow out of this one!
    Later,
    Mary Ellen

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Helo MaryEllen
    Wil send my address along shortly
    Thank you much for these seeds. Hard to get some of these old fashion flowers like Maltese Cross,

sassy I don't have any problem with NOID lol, most plants end up that way in my yard. Unless I ABSOLUTELY must have a specific cultivar I don't worry much about it, mother nature wil give us what she will.

Frances

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Mary Ellen - no my kiddos are in school all day. We've barely gotten a dusting so far from this system! It's just Lily and I at home today. We went to the library this morning, and I mistakingly let her pick out 4 movies. She got all VHS tapes, which we have to watch in our bedroom, as it's the only room that still has a VCR. So, we've been sitting on the bed for the past hour watching videos (well, she has, and I've been reading gardening magazines I got at the library!) Did you know that there is an Iowa Gardening magazine? This was the first time I'd seen it! It's pretty good. It tells about a lot of things happening at the Iowa Arbetoreum (sp?) in Madrid. My sister lives just off of 141 near Polk City, so I am hoping sometime, I can go visit her and then head a little farther north and visit there! I also want to take my girls to the Botanical Center in Des Moines. I think Elizabeth especially would love it! I haven't been there since I was probably in high school, and I just didn't have the appreciation of it then as I would now! We'll have to make a day of that sometime!

Okay, enough babbling! Lily is upstairs watching Maisy, so I guess I'd better go join her and do a little more reading! : )

Becki

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Mary Ellen I'll be glad to send them to Jeanne, no problem.

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Thanks to you and Sassy. Sassy, if you want to wait and just send the seeds to me when we get matched for a swap, that is fine. I am slowly moving along 1-4 containers at a time with my winter sowing (only have 25 containers planted at this point) so no big hurry, but I do thank you. I have never tried to grow those wonder eggs. Have seen pictures of them in gardening catalogs.
    My blue flax seeds started to grow and when we got the 16 degree temperatures several weeks ago, I think it killed all of the seedlings except one. Luckily I had only planted half of the packet so I re-sowed them today. I only had four containers sprout so far and I am glad because those little seeds got confused starting to grow in January! LOL (I know some of you have much worse temperatures, but this is cold for SC!)

Jeanne

• mellen
    16 years ago

Well, I got all of the seeds divided out. Most of you will be getting what you asked for but not all. I made a goof! The cup and saucer was actually Ring of Fire sunflower seeds. There was a small sticker on the package that I had not seen before this afternoon. I had wondered these past couple of years where those seeds had disappeared to. Now that I have found them, I will plant them this summer. Besides needing Frances's address, the rest should be ready to mail tomorrow. Oh, one other thing. I DID have enough wonder egg seeds for Jeanne. There were more in the packet than I realized. Keep in mind that these are packets that I traded for so I cannot verify their absolute accuracy. Although, the Maltese cross I can verify as it came from my Dad.

Becki, I looked up about the Iowa Arboretum. That looks like a nice place to visit for a road trip for my garden girlfriend and me this summer. I've been to the Botanical Center a number of times in my teaching career. Since it is close enough to take kids to the Capitol for field trips for half a day, the other half of the day used to be the BC. The last few years they went to Living History Farms. I'm not in middle school anymore so I'm out of that.

Well, gotta go
    Mary Ellen

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello
    miss mellen - if you have any left over (after everyone has gotten what they want) please let me know I would be interested in no ID seeds for my re-mix swap.

luckly I found my yellow bells seeds, I rilly was afraid I traded them.

we are planing to go to orlando, Fl next month, can anyone recomend a botanical garden or butterfly house there, this will be my first time.

I'm collecting unwanted vegie seeds for our community garden, sorry don't know that I want to give out seeds over 2 years old. but let me know if you have seeds you don't need. I can send you seeds baggies for them.

see ya'al later
    micyrey

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

micyrey
    I may have some seeds for your remix. will check the forum and my seed box, trying to thin it a bit
    MaryEllen I end you my address, if you did not get it let me know header should be something like "Cracked Pot Gardener Seeds"
    Frances

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Michelle, I know I have some seeds for your re-mix and also some veggie seeds that I can send for your community gardens. I will add them to my Post run on Thurs.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• mellen
    16 years ago

Micyrey, I do have leftover seeds that I would LOVE for you to have. If you will send me your address, I will get them right in the mail.WooHoo!!

Frances, I got your e-mail. Thanks!

Mary Ellen/Mellen

jlpmep@netins.net

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

good morning
    pixie, mellen,and fcoffill - thank you very much for sharing, I was hopping to get a lot of sign ups for the re-mix swap, it was good last year but not very many people are interested this year, and I rilly want to be able to send the players back some great mixes.

I'll get back later, I need to get the kids dressed
    micyrey

• pattygrow5
    16 years ago

Michelle don't your wintersow containers dry out quicker with no lids on? I swear by my 2 liter clear soda bottles I have my perennials all out 53 jugs 3 types of seed in each I am teaching a wintersowing class in my neighborhood tonight I have a few I will do tonight to demonstrate but I am being moderate this year LOL I don't sow my annuals till later.I would have signed up for your swap Michelle but I like to know what I am planting can send you some seeds if you would like LMK.

Patty

• wynative
    16 years ago

Good morning Ladies!

Just a little chilly this morning - 5 below at my house but in town it is closer to 9 below!! It is suppose to warm up to the 20's later in the week LOL Over the weekend, I started putting on the base coat of paint in the hallways and kitchen of my sisters house. Made some progress but had to hurry home to watch the football games! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE FOOTBALL! I go into FB DT's from Feburary till I can get outside and play in the dirt :) Then yesterday took the little sister to meet the middle sister and give her the house warming gifts we got for her - micowave, vacume, coffee pot, blender and some other stuff all in RED! We found a great bargin on 'Craigs List' in Colorado - a lady had redone her kitchen in red then 3 weeks later was transfered to Washington state. Bad for her, great for us! We also picked up some color paint for the hall ways and main bath. I forgot my list and didn't get red for the kitchen but I have plenty to do before that is needed.

Pixie - I am jealous - Tulips bud's in January? but I am like Karen I need my 4 seasons. Just to cold this weekend to even think about putting up my mini green house and the wind would have been a problem also. But I did pick up a back of soil as I found 18 tulip bulbs that have little sprouts on them and plan to force them to help with our winter blues!

Mary Ellen ~ Thanks for the nice words about my Megin & I. As per your seeds, if you still have these, I would like to try them: Wonder Eggs (these sound very popular but I have never seen them and they sound fun), Zinnia's, Lavender Globe Amaranth and Gazania's. Thanks for offering.

Linda ~ This is what I call 'White Trumpet Vine' or 'Moon Flowers and a few volunteer morning glorys:
    {{gwi:1235802}}

Here is a close up, with a visitor -
    {{gwi:1235803}}

If anyone would like some seeds from this, I have plenty! The blooms open in just a few seconds after the sun goes down and are 6" to 8" across. 2 years ago it was overcase in the late afternoon, I called Megin out to see one that was about to open. She gently lifted it up to see it better and it opened in her hands!! Her face was priceless! Last year she tried several times to get them to open in her hands but no luck - wish I had pictures of when it did happen.

Marie

• micke
    16 years ago

checking in...looks like everone is doing good right now:)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Marie, I know nothing about tulips and I don't think the bulbs know that they aren't supposed to bloom yet either. I have been keeping an eye on the ones in my Love Garden that have the buds but ya know that saying "a watched pot never boils"? Can you dry or press tulips? I really want to save the first one that blooms (if it actually blooms) just to have proof that I did grow a tulip! There are soo many leaves on the ground that I am scared they are going to rot everything if I don't rake them but the wet weather here makes that difficult.
    I love the moon flowers, they have a wonderful fragrance also. I love anything that has the trumpet shape. There is a lady around the section whose backyard is covered in moonflowers, I have stopped to visit her before (she is in her 80's) and she says she leaves her windows open on warm nights just so she can smell the flowers. I can just imagine!

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Pixie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Mellen congrat's on the Ring of Fire Sunflower seeds! I bought some day before yesterday. lol I love them! Also got some Velvet Queen, thought they'd look good together.

• mellen
    16 years ago

Marie, I will get those seeds to you. Not the wonder egg, though, as those are all gone. Sorry.

Sassy, Yes, I can't wait to plant the Ring of Fire. When I was trading seeds like a maniac 2 years ago, it took forever for me to find someone who had those kind of seeds. Then I "lost" them. So when I "found" them, I got excited. I have at least 15 different types of sunflowers, I'm guessing. I had planned to plant them last sumer, but hostas and daylilies got in my way. lol Hopefully this summer I can plant 2 or 3 seeds of each kind just to see what they are like and hopefully keep some heads for the birds. I expect I will have leftover seeds when I am finished planting, but I won't post those yet.

Better get back to work! Packages are already in the mail!
    School started late which gave me time to stop at the PO early.
    Mary Ellen

• galium
    16 years ago

By now all of you have received an invitation to our new chat room. Log on whenever you'd like and see who's there. Email someone you want to chat with, in real time, and ask them to log on. We can also select a date and time for everyone who's available to log on. This is great fun. micke, micyrey and I have a chat room that we have been using for quite some time.

If I missed anyone please email me.

wynative-I'll wait until you have an email address of your own before I send you an invite.

Mariann

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

Marie, Thanks, if you do have some of those seeds I would love to have them. squirrels ate the plants I started this past year. The seeds that I planted ( yesterday) looked more like humming bird vine seeds. I still have them if anyone would like some.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I didn't receive an invite (email) to our new chatroom. Please resend the link, I'll bookmark it right away. ;)

Thanks,
    Deb

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Marie, I can send you the wonder egg seeds, send me your address, like I said I have plenty! You get so many eggs on a bush and I couldn't begin to tell you how many seeds are in one egg.

Sassy

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hi! Whoo Hoo! I have a garden buddy for Feb! I have read her wants and just want to say she is my kind of girl! I think I have some things she might really like! I still have not added to my trade page. I sometimes wish I could clone myself! I have been so busy. I peeked in on the chat page. I love it! Things should be slowing down for me at the end of the week, hope to see you guys there.
    I would love some wonder egg seeds if you still have more!
    Take care - Sharon

• mellen
    16 years ago

Mariann, I did not receive an invite, either.

Michelle, I got your address. I will get some seeds to you. You don't by chance know the high school football coach down there, do you? M. St. Clair?
    Mary Ellen

• galium
    16 years ago

Mary Ellen and Deb-I just resent your invite to the chat room.
    Mariann

• wynative
    16 years ago

Mariann ~ the chat room sounds fun - I have never been to one so when I go the first time, I may need some help :)
    Pixie ~ The ones I grow smell yummy but are from a little flat seed. I also have larger pea type seeds but have never had any luck getting them to grow. The outer shell is so hard, they wont germinate - even though I nick them. WHen your tulips bloom, I would love to see pictures. As for pressing, never done it except for a dandilion that my son gave me when he was 2, still have it :)

Mary Ellen - thank you!

Sassy - I emailed you, twice.... please ignore the first one LOL

Ibartoo - you also have mail.

Stay warm everyone! Snowing here, with temp. at 21 above and wind at 30 mph! Warmer than yesterday though, the high didn't even get above 0!!! BRRRRRR....
    Marie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Sharon....just email me your address and I'll get you some out. (wonder eggs)

Marie, I totally understand dear, lol. I suffer from CRS every day of my life! and it seems to get worse all the time, lol

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Mariann, I did not receive an invite for the chat room. Please try sending it again, Thanks!!
    Karen

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

February Swap partners have been assigned!

I have several seeds from her wanted list! (Amazing considering my Jauary 'seed' disaster)

I have my first daffodil bud in the garden! I can't wait till I see it. sure sign of spring! (I dug up and redistributed hundreds of these last fall, It is so nice to see the leaves popping up everywhere) I notice the scotch brooms are blooming all over the place around town and a few early cherry or crabapples are blooming as well.

Hurry spring! I am ready

• galium
    16 years ago

Karen-I just resent your invite to the chat room.

Frances-I can't believe things are popping up where you are. It got to about 40 today here but it's in the 20's at night. I want flowers!!!!!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

We're at like, 14 today, and it's supposed to get down to around -11 tonight! Brr! The flowers better not start popping up here, or they'll be goners!

Just wanted to stop in and let Mellen know that the seeds got here already today!! That was SUPER fast!! It helps that we live halfway close, I guess! Thank you so much, darling! I REALLY appreciate it! Stay warm - I think you are supposed to get even colder than us!

Back to my bookwork - I've got a years worth of receipts to enter into the computer (yes, BAD, BAD me!) - I'm already into April though, so it's not going too badly!

Becki

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

The weather here has been pretty mild, I went out side and rummaged about in the mulch, my sedums are loaded with new shoots. the Shasta Daisies (are still big mounds) and putting up new shoots. I think they are going to have to be divided this year and they haven't even bloomed yet! My hollyhocks have buds showing and I see red peony tips poking out too! I am afraid some of these thing are going to get bitten back if the temperatures drop! (as they should at this time of year) I just piled more leaves on top and hope for the best.

the Yarrow and verbena are still growing (but not flowering) I think they were all so starved for water that the wet has stirred them to life early.

I wintersowed another 6 gallon ziplock bags (ran out of juice pottles) my DH thinks I have lost my mind.

oh well, 'eccentric' runs in my family

lol

Frances

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Any wonder egg seeds left? carol needs some. you can press any flower, if you put a little horizontal slit at the top of the stem the tulip will hold its shape much longer even when cut.Sassy I woul be happy to trade you for a couple named daylilly cross seeds hugs carol

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WOW thanks Carol, now when she blooms I can keep her forever!!!!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Carol, I'll get you some out too. Not a problem, will probably be this weekend before I get these out to everyone, I don't take the baby out on cold day, unless need be.

I think is about time for a pic:)
    This ones is still from Christmas, ya'll be glad I don't show them all.........

And Kenzie's first swing in the park.....

This was taken in January, can you believe it?

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Mary Ellen,
    Thanks so much for the seeds. They arrived yesterday. It will be fun to try some new things.
    Have a great day!
    Jeanne

• micke
    16 years ago

Hi everbody:)

Mariann I accidently deleted the e-mail with the chat room link in it (smacks self in head)
    can you send me another?

well got to get back at it:)

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Carol, I just realized I don't have your new address, can you email it to me, thanks!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

I meant to tell you the pic (moonflower?) is great and its just awesome that a flower opened in Megin's hand. Don't you hate when you lose those moments? But you'll always have that great memory:)

• sassyewe
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm not a member of Cracked Pot Gardeners but have been enjoying reading all of your posts. I was wondering what winter seeding is and how you do it. I live in southern michigan and am getting anxious for spring. I've been planning my veggie garden for this year and also my herb garden. Now I just need to plant something. I noticed someone mentioned her hubby was going to try planting in a sandwich baggie. I am so curious about this. Thanks for any help and sorry to butt into your exchange club.

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Sassyewe -
    Take a look under the GardenWeb Forums and you will find one that is called "Winter Sowing" - you have to scroll way to the bottom of the list in order to find it. There are many posts on there about winter sowing and you can check out the FAQ section as well. I hope you try it. This has been my second year winter sowing and I love it.
    Good luck!

Jeanne

• coley_grow
    15 years ago

Hey girls,
    Seems you don't have a Man in the bunch............. whatsup? I'd like to throw my few things in the mix. My wife and daughter love to garden and so do I. Just found this site and hope you will include me. Just sounds like real fun. We have a few seeds and plants to share and am asking please consider this late fellow.... I'll help keep some balance.
    Blessings to all if not this time maybe next.
    Coley_grow