Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_under_my_nails

NEW: mnf~ frugal feb

Welcome to MNF's Frugal February Swap!!!

Guidelines::

~Seeds that make you think Valentine's Day! Pink, White or Red blooming flowers.If your up to the challenge, maybe even send seeds with Love, Cupid,Heart,Arrow, Valentine,or CHOCOLATE included in their name!!!

~One HANDMADE (ONLY!!) Valentine Card

~Chocolate Treat

~Anything else your heart desires to send but...it MUST all fit into a SMALL Flat Rate Box with delivery confirmation.

Partners posted on Jan 31st.

Boxes should be mailed NO later than Feb 5th so that they are guaranteed to arrive by Valentine's Day.So start crafting & packing NOW!

So come on,join in the fun. There will be a few games played while we wait for the boxes to arrive. Cupid is getting the Bingo cards ready to go as I type.

later...April/dirt_under_my_nails

Comments (151)

• smitties
    14 years ago

Woohoo, finished picking up product for my box so now I just need the box. LOL

Dan, I would get in on the snowball fight but we have no snow at the moment. Just cold, cold weather.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

methinks we've enabled Alicia...hehehe

and don't worry about the snowballs Margo, we're just jealous of the hot weather. around here this week, we'll be lucky to get into the double digits during the day. brrrrr

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

April~ I just wanted to let you know that we are expecting another ice storm along the lines of what we got EXACTLY THIS TIME LAST YEAR! (anyone want to scream with me??)
    They are calling for anywhere between 1"-3" of ice...and snow on top of that. UGH.
    So.....if ya'll don't hear from me for a while, you know why. Last year, we went for over 3 weeks without electricity. I hope it's not nearly that bad this year. It SHOULDN'T be, since we lost all of our trees & the electric company has been trimming & cutting the last of them down. But ya just never know. Because they were only expecting 1/4" last year, and nothing beyond that.
    Because of THAT, everyone is freaking out here. Literally. The stores are packed, the gas stations are running out of gas....it's a mess. No one wants to be caught unprepared this time around.

ANYWAY~ April, if you will email me, I will give you my phone #, so you can text me with my partner's addy, if you need to. I have my box ready to go, so it's just a matter of getting his/her address on it. :o)

• pinkhill
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. Made a few trades. Seeds and bulbs. I'm a newlywed. 10-24-09. Very happy. We bought an old house and we are working on it. ALOT.
    I love to garden. Im winter sowing and using the greenhouse for the first time. I bought 64 packets of seeds at the feed store Monday. The clerk looked at me sideways. I grinned and came back yesterday and bought 12 more and seed potatoes.
    My mother is passing so I stay busy visiting her an hour away at the hospice.
    I have three kids. Gorgeous creatures if I do say so myself.
    Teaching them to get dirt under their nails too. My seven year old son has a teepee garden. Way cool. I will try to post pics when I figure out how to do that.

This is my First round robin. What do I ask the PO for when I get my box?

Glad to meet everyone. Gonna work on my card this week. I love doing that

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Welcome pinkhill!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Melissa, good luck and good weather to you! We've got an arctic blast messing with us this week, and it sure makes it different from last week! I was wearing shorts to work last week when it was hovering around the mid 30s, but this week it's longjohns and tipless gloves! Tomorrow our high is supposed to be about 10 degrees, with a windchill of -5. BRRRRRRR!!!! I know what you mean about the gas stations and grocery stores, everyone here is doing the same thing... stocking up on provisions just in case.
    Fifty-two more days until Spring!!!

Pinkhill, when you go to get your box, all you need is the small flat-rate priority box. There may be a display of flat-rate boxes in your post office, which will allow you to skip going to the counter. If not, the window clerk will know what to get you. While you're there, you may want to get 2 or 3. They're very handy.

And now, it's on to planting pumpkins on farmville, then getting out the sewing machine. I've got me some ideas...

Peace.
    -Dan

• pinkhill
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan and Hdip. I'ma learning. And enjoying myself.
    Yall have a great day.

• winnie850
    14 years ago

We are expecting snow here - 6 to 12 inches. I guess its the same everyhwhere- people are afraid of being snowed in and have to buy the basics, just in case.

My son in law is planning on doing the Polar Bear Plunge on Saturday. The proceeds benefit Special Olympics. My daughter and I were discussing the impending snow and wondered if they would still hold the "plunge" if it snows. We decided if it really is "polar bear", it will happen as long as people can drive there!

Welcome, Pinkhill. Wow! 64 packs of seed...how exciting!

Gladys

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I had bread stolen out of my grocery cart yesterday! People here are REALLY panicking. I went to the store to buy just what was necessary to hold us for a few days (extra bread, potatoes...stuff that can be cooked on a wood stove). And I had 4 loaves of bread in my cart (which, is only a 2-3 day supply for our family). One guy reached in & took out 3 loaves while my back was turned. The lady that works at the store saw him do it, and ripped into him about it. She said "You put that back in her cart this INSTANT! She has 6 kids & one on the way, and you, sir, have only yourself! And I'm not going to sell that bread to you ANYWAY! What kind of guy would steal from kids??"
    And this lady is only 5' tall, maybe 80lbs soaking wet. TINY TINY little thing! Anyway, made me feel good that she was watching out for me.

Are folks this bad up north were storms happen every year? I can't imagine. I think everyone is just scared because last year, we couldn't buy food or even get out of our houses for weeks.
    Still....that is NO REASON to act like a common thief! Gee Whiz!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Melissa, That is just crazy! Good for her for standing up for you and telling that guy off. Sometimes people just don't think! Up here people are pretty used to winter so no one really panics. I keep fairly well stocked with non-perishables anyway because I HATE going grocery shopping! Also, I've always believed a gas stove is a must because you can light it even if the power is out. Learned that one the hard way in high school when a storm knocked out part of the city's power for up to 3 weeks! Imagine an extended family of 15ish invading my parent's house because we had a way to cook... crazy!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"sweeping snow off the veranda steps, turning on the heat lights, pulling out the green plants and potted flowers around the sitting area, making tea, coffee and hot chocolate and putting out a plate of brownies and cookies"....what snow, we're all going to ignore it...everyone come and sit down and bask under the "feel good" lights!

Bunny, up here it's a running joke when it calls for a really bad storm to get to the store before all the toilet paper, bread and milk is gone! You wouldn't believe the run on that stuff!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Bunny, up here in Michigan we keep plenty of groceries on hand, including bread in the freezer. And, if all else fails, I've still got the grill to cook on. I don't put that away in the Fall because it's good to have out if the power fails, and I do like a grilled steak occasionally. When the storms and cold hit, we all kind of pitch in together and ride it out. That, and keep counting the days until Spring.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

50 days!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Welcome Pinkhill and congratulations on your newlywed status. My oldest was married in June of last year and my second is getting married in April. So fun.

Melissa, that is crazy what is happening by you. We get snowstorm warnings and people run out to stock up but not to that degree. Probably because the storms never amount to anything. I think the last time we had anything that put out power was back in 1990. I remember that well because we were to close on our house and purchase a new one and the power had gone out. My husband had to hand empty the sump pump for hours. The ice built up on the trees and a branch took out the awning on the house we were about to purchase. We never did replace it because it looked fine without it and it wasn't covered by our insurance because we did not have awning insurance. Whatever!!

We did have some snow with high winds today. Schools were delayed for two hours.

Just got back from a shopping errand with my husband. We went into a Walden Books and they were having a huge clearance. Books were marked down to 2.00. I bought a water gardening book as well as a container gardening book. (One can never have too many gardening books). I also picked up a cooking with 3 ingredients cookbook. It was like I was in a candy store as I went from table to table.

Linda, make mine a coffee with cream. I am on my way to bask in the warmth, even if it is just light. I WANT SPRING!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sign ups are ALMOST over.Anybody out there wanna join....HURRY UP!!!LOL!! I (might) post buddy list tomorrow night. Depends on how busy I get....

Robin~ Glad you felt up to joining!

Gladys~Polar Bear Plunge....brrr.........I don't do cold water very well!

Bunny~I can't believe bread was swiped from your cart!That's crazy!!

Linda~Coffee for me too. Never thought of the tissue paper running out....

We have a weekend winter weather advisory,but with it being sunny & almost 60 today, I don't see it sticking.Putting tissue paper on list (just in case LOL!)

Players so far:
    ~Laura
    ~Alicia
    ~Bunny
    ~Dan
    ~Beth B
    ~Cryptid
    ~Linda
    ~Kathy/jaleeisa
    ~Margo
    ~Gladys
    ~Robin1962-2008
    ~Kathy/catrionaa
    ~pinkhill
    ~Heidi
    ~Robin
    ~Me
    Lurking
    ~cAROL
    ~Shannon
    ~Carmen

Well...Farmville beckons.

later....April

• pinkhill
    14 years ago

Got my box. Thanks to Dan's helpful info.
    This is alot of fun. I've been working on creative items to fill it.
    Thanks for letting me join in the fun.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

We're always happy to have new and enthusiastic players, Pink. Congratulations to you and hubby on the wedding and house and everything else wonderful! I'm so jealous of all these weddings... after 3 years I'm still hoping for that ring!
    ~Laura

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Ohhh I am so ready to get my Partner's name!!!
    We are home for the weekend. Jack's oldest son is in ICU on a ventilator and we are watching that closely. He wants to go but the weather is????? So we'll watch and see.
    Anyway, This looks like a great group and like well all need things to occupy our minds. LOL
    Linda, could you make room there on thew porch? I'm heating up a [pot of tea and heading over.
    BB

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    14 years ago

Gee, Linda, I think I'm the closest one to you, so make a cup of coffee for me and I'll be over! I like it black! :)

My box is so full it's bulging, so I think I'm going to have to really tape it up. I got carried away, but it all fit in that tiny box! I amazed myself.

We have some snow here. I don't even know if there's enough to make a snowball out there. But it was 10 degrees this morning when I went to the dentist. It took me 15 minutes to thaw out when I got there. Brrrr..... I hate the cold!!!!

Off to make dinner. Hamburgers on the grill. I know, I'm nuts, but I love grilling my meats all year long! Even if I freeze to death doing it.

Patiently waiting for my partner's name and address.....
    Alicia

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

well, Sara's due date has been changed to September 19th. Looks as if she is only 6 weeks pregnant instead of 8 weeks. She was in the emergency room this afternoon being treated for dehydration. She can't stop throwing up. I think they gave her a prescription that she can take to help.

I'm not waiting for my partner's name patiently at all!!.."pacing back and forth across the room and throwing snowballs at anyone who has warmer weather than 13 degrees"..."G"

14 years ago

Linda, I hope Sara feels better soon. I remember with my one pregnancy I got that intestinal bug. It was on January 2nd and I had her on January 18th. I only remember the dates so well because my uncle was killed and we had to go to the Pgh. airport to pick up relatives to have his funeral up here and I got sick in the airport bathroom. It came on so fast and I didn't think I would make it out of the airport let alone the ride home. When I did get home, I laid on the bathroom floor all day and night thinking I was dying. So I feel for her. Poor thing. Best of luck to her. "This too shall pass." :)

And I'm with you on the temp! I wanted to run out to JoAnn's tonight, but it's just too cold! Stay warm....

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bunny to Margo
    Margo to Linda
    Linda to Kathy/catrionaa
    Kathy/catrionaa to Dan
    Dan to Alicia
    Alcia to Kathy/jaleesia
    Kathy/jaleesia to April/me
    April/me to Pinkhill
    Pinkhill to Robin
    Robin to Heidi
    Heidi to Robin1962-2008
    Robni1962-2008 to Beth b
    Beth B to Cryptid
    Cryptid to Gladys
    Gladys to Hazelnutbunny

Please send your address to the one that is sending to you.Delivery confirmation numbers MUST be posted when you mail out.And of course you WILL post what you got in your box!!!Have fun!!!

later....April

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Alicia! Hey, there's no need to send me your address. I've still got it from last months swap, and already have the printing label all printed out. Your delivery confirmation number is 4201 5601 9405 5036 9930 0127 0223 04, and I'll be mailing your box in the morning when I go to work.

Kathy, I'm e-mailing you my address in another minute or so. Please let me know if you get it or not. Thanks!

Have a great night everyone!

Peace.
    -Dan

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

Dan,

Got the address!

Linda -- sent you my address while ducking those snowballs -- it's a toasty 35 degrees here....-------* ha ha - ya missed me! ----------* ouch! LOL! Ya got me! I hope Sara gets well soon and can enjoy being pregnant without suffering with nausea.

Pink - welcome to the swap! Congratulations on your wedding and on the new home, too!

Just saw the winter snow storm on the weather channel. I hope everyone stays safe and your power stays on. We have friends in that area, a couple of whom didn't make it home from their business trips due to airports being closed.

Back to Farmville....

Kathy/catrionaa

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

you know kathy, I think I hired you in Farmville last night to do my farm!.."L" Pumpkins and broccili, trees and plowing!

I sent you an email letting you know that I received your addy.

Margo, I sent you one too.."waving"

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok I am sending everyone a bingo card to their email. Please print it out or write it down.I'll post a few numbers a day. Winner(s) will get a little something mailed to them.

Have FUN!!!!

later....April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I goofed!!!!Change in partner list!!!!I forgot to add a name!!
    Bunny to Margo
    Margo to Linda
    Linda to Kathy/catrionaa
    Kathy/catrionaa to Dan
    Dan to Alicia
    Alcia to Kathy/jaleesia
    Kathy/jaleesia to April/me
    April/me to Pinkhill
    Pinkhill to Robin
    Robin to Heidi
    Heidi to Robin1962-2008
    Robni1962-2008 to Beth b
    Beth B to Cryptid
    Cryptid to Gladys
    Gladys to Laura
    Laura to Hazelnutbunny

Hope this doesn't mess anyone up yet!!!

later...April

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Alicia's box is on its way!!! And yes, it is being carried by flying monkeys...hehehe

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Melissa, you'll be getting a double package from me... one for each swap this month! Shame on you April for forgetting me *waggles fingers* but I got my 'cupid' card.
    ~Laura

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok.....EVERYONE should have a link to their bingo card in the inbox by now. If not let me know & I'll resend it.

First # is....I 60

later...April

• smitties
    14 years ago

Linda, you should have a response from me by now. Thanks for being so prompt. I will do my best getting as much as I can stuffed in that little box.

I still have to get in touch with Bunny and will be doing that just after I post this.

April, have my card and also have the first number. The way Bingo goes for me, it will probably be the only one. :)

Looking forward to seeing what goodies can fill a small space. Margo

• cryptid
    14 years ago

Awriiiiight! Back again, just in time for bingo! - Gladys, got your email and your box will be mailed on the 1st! No "winged monkeys" involved, but *winged critters*, per sey, are definitely not ruled out in general ;). I'll answer your email either tonight or tomorrow.

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

WooHoo!!! I'm sending to April!!! Hehe!! Gonna go take a peek at your list, April, so let me know if there's anything else in particular you're looking for, please!!

HUGS,
    Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

The sun is shining, I have the day off, planning on going to Olive Garden for a late lunch/early dinner, and I really don't care how frigid it is outside because I've got heat inside! I LOVE LAZY SUNDAYS!!!
    And, get this, I went to K-Mart yesterday afternoon and found amaryllis bulbs on sale for $2.49 each, normally $11, and if I can keep them dormant I'm planting them in the garden in a few months so I can have amaryllis blooming in the summer! Yee-Haw!!!

Life Is Good.

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning ALL!!

Bingo~ C 12

Kathy~I'm up for anything but...tomatoes!! I got soo many during the Christmas Card swap.

Dan~I envy you going to Olive Garden. The closest one to us is over an hour away!!

later...April

Bingo called so far
    I 60
    C 12

• winnie850
    14 years ago

Looking forward to finishing my valentine for Laura - change in partner from Hazelnut bunny.

Just back from a day trip to Philadelphia. The city was beautiful in the snow but the traffic was insane. A normal 30 minute drive from downtown to my nephew's house ended up taking over 2 hours with traffic at 5 miles an hour on I 95.

This little snow storm only gave us 3 inches of snow and the Polar Bear plunge went mostly as scheduled. My son in law jumped into the bay at his scheduled 1:00 pm time. However, they canceled the 3:00 plunge due to several of the 1:00 people needing medical attention. My son in law was fine and he raised over $200 for Special Olympics. Even though he is a seasoned winter back packer, he admits that this was really really cold!

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Ho My Gosh! A Guy!!! Somehow I had not realised that Cryp was a G U Y. Ok I love challenges but I do need to shift gears a bit here. Don't guess he's into pink frillies. LOL
    Hey Dan, it's beautiful here too.
    Warm toasts offered to those in the frosty East and South East. I'm starting lettuce and radishes today. Feels like spring to me.
    BB

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"shaking bingo card"..is this thing working??...LOL!!!
    anyways, I'm working on Kathy's box and trying to see if...I ..can..squeeze...in....one...more...thing.."getting out crowbar"

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Im just finishing up my box(es) for Melissa... I get to trade with her for MNF and OBF this month (how cool is that?) so Ive done a wee bit of rearranging so I don't send doubles! Also goodies to keep the kids occupied if the power is gone. THAT IS ALL I'M SAYING ABOUT THAT! Also, I think my bingo card is broken too...
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

WooHoo, 2 boxes from Laura! :o) I'm a lucky girl!

Our storm wasn't as bad as predicted- we got 3/4" of ice, and 8" of snow. We only lost power for a bit- so it's all good. The kids have been enjoying the snow...making snowmen & sledding. It's pretty....but we'll be house-bound for a few more days, until it starts melting pretty well. The main streets are fine, but our backroads take a few extra days to get safe enough to travel on. Oh well. Thank goodness we all love each other! LOL!

Margo~ I have your box ready to go, it's just waiting on a ride to the PO. :o) I will definitely have it out by the end of the week, though.

YAY, BINGO! I totally stink at this game! LOL!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

The Olive Garden was great! And I didn't even have to pay for it, which somehow made it even better! LOL! My roommate treated me to lunch/dinner, but I paid for the bottle of wine I wound up bringing home. It was totally cool, I had myself a small wine-tasting event before the salads came around, which was very cool!
    And, want to know what makes today even better? I did some winter-sowing, oh yeah! I used 3 72-cell miniature greenhouses, and now they're outside waiting on warm weather so they can start sprouting. I did a tray of painted and african daisies, a tray of tomatoes, and a mixed tray of hollyhocks, devil's claw, roses, rhubarb, and something I keep forgetting! Bump pretty much stayed away once he realized what I was doing, but Stella "helped" the whole time, giving me opinions, telling me which seeds to plant next, and splattering me with water. Yep, she's a gardener!
    And, speaking of Bingo cards, mine isn't broken, but it looks like it's stuck in first gear with only the one number being on it. Who's ready for another number???

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did someone ask for another Bingo # ? Hmm....shaking jar... who about....P 45.

later....April

Bingo called so far:
    I 60
    C 12
    P 45

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Still nuttin! The only thing Ive got on my bingo card is a cat... She covers all the numbers, does that mean I won??

• smitties
    14 years ago

Whatya know, I have two of the three but they couldn't be any farther away.

Dan, you make me want to head to my nearest Olive Garden. Since joining Weight Watchers two years ago, (life time member for a year come February 5th), I haven't been there. I am at goal and want to lose about 10 pounds so I can go to all the places I haven't been to in all that time. I'm sure OG has healthy choices but what fun would that be?

Bunny, glad to hear the storm blew through with a minimum of trouble. I was thinking of you. It seems snow is hitting in all the wrong places this year. We haven't had much at all. Just the cold temps.

Everyone have a lovely week ahead and THINK SPRING often. Margo

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

okay, gray cat named Harker once again plans his escape and flees out the door while I'm getting firewood. Now said cat doesn't know that it's 9 degrees out and thinks running around under the bushes and shrubs 10:00 at night is a fun thing. He thinks that freeze tag is a heckofa great game. I have stumbled over rosebushes, got thorns in my legs, have evergreen pricklies down my shirt and scratches on my legs THROUGH my pants because it's DARK out at 10:00pm! Needless to say, there is a now tent bed for him now on the porch with a heavy towel over it...can we say...gee Harker, I'll see you in the morning???? (my husband won't go to sleep tonight until the gray @**hole shows up)...grrrrr.....

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda~ ROFLMBO!!! Is he back in yet? LOL!!Sorry I KNOW it's NOT funny(to you!!)At least you won't lose sleep like your hubby.Hopefully Harker will learn his lesson!

I'll be gone for most of tomorrow.I'm taking hubby to Columbus (3 hour drive one way!!)to see his hip surgeon.We will find out if another surgery will fix him.I KNOW he is tired of the pain!!! Keep your fingers crossed everyone!!

Bingo~I 50
    later...April

Bingo called so far:
    I 60
    C 12
    P 45
    I 50

14 years ago

Dan, wow, I can't believe you got me this time. Round and round we go. Cool!

Kathy, I sent you an e-mail, so send me your address. AFinalWord@aol.com is my e-mail address.

Hope everyone is staying warm....
    Alicia

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

hey Linda, YOU'RE IT!!! hehehe..... I'm not going to say I'm not laughing because you know better! While reading your story, Bump was chasing the cursor on the screen... aren't they great!!!

Here's hoping you took care of your wounds and they don't get infected!!!

GO HARKER!!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morning all!! Round 2 is up as this one is now FULL!!!
    later...April

Here is a link that might be useful: Round 2!!

• winnie850
    14 years ago

April - I hope everything goes well with your hubby. A three-hour drive is not fun when you are in any kind of pain but hip pain....OUCH! Let's hope the doctor can fix his pain.
    Margo, Congratulations -its great that you are at your WW goal. I saw mine - Once - but have not been able to get back. Very cool to even work at 10 pounds under.
    Linda, Harker sounds like a cool cat. Would a cup of catnip tea lure him home?
    Only one bingo number so far.
    Happy February everyone!