Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

NEW: Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap

julia42
11 years ago

Hi everybody! It's time for the Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap!
Here are the rules:

* The swap is for any seeds that would produce a salad ingredient. I realize people put all kinds of things in their salads, but I would think we'd want to focus on lots of greens, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet peppers... I'd kind of prefer to avoid the less traditional salad ingredients like broccoli, squash, corn, etc. However, I'm flexible, so email me if you have something "less traditional" you'd like to include.

* Please sign up by February 20, and have your seeds to me by February 27.

* Seeds should be no older than 2010.

* Seed packets should be labeled with the year harvested or purchased and with your Gardenweb name, so I don't accidentally send any of your seeds back to you.

* Since this swap may include a wide variety of seed types, I'm not going to set a specific minimum of seeds per packet. Use your best judgement and try to include about the number of seeds per packet you would want to receive.

* Please include no more than 3 bags per variety and no more than 30 bags total. Anything beyond that will be considered extras. If you have something extremely rare or in high demand, email me and I might make an exception to the 3 bag rule.

* And last but not least, please use a bubble envelope and include a return address label, and enough postage for the return trip. It seems like bubble envelopes are requiring five first class stamps these days. I'll resuse your bubble envelope, so no need to send another.

Please email me if you'd like to join and I'll send you my address to mail your seeds. It would be great if you could send me your seed list and wish list via email so I can plan my sorting ahead of time.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and let me know if you think I've forgotten anything important!
I'm looking forward to a fun swap!

Comments (78)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

I'd love to join in. Please notify me with the mailing address. Thanks, Jen

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to the swap Jensyen! I'll be sending you an email.

• SubruralGirl
    11 years ago

I love this swap, count me in!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to our swap, SubruralGirl! I'll send you an email.

Here's our current list:

Socalgardengal
    Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42
    Dem_pa
    Clay_lady
    sassybutterfly_2008
    borge99
    Blingbrown
    happygardener23
    garden_love
    skyblue52
    HelenB1949
    Jensyen
    SubruralGirl

Veganruthie, I received your seeds this weekend - Thanks!

-Julia

• pinkiris
    11 years ago

would love to join! Please count me in if not too late =)

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

Mailed my seeds yesterday.

Don

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome, Pinkiris! I'll send you an email. Here's our list now:

Socalgardengal
    Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42
    Dem_pa
    Clay_lady
    sassybutterfly_2008
    borge99
    Blingbrown
    happygardener23
    garden_love
    skyblue52
    HelenB1949
    Jensyen
    SubruralGirl
    Pinkiris

I'll be looking for your envelope Don - thanks!

-Julia

• scorpioangel sunset 21
    11 years ago

I'm in! I just emailed you Julia.

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

My seeds are going out today. Thank you!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good! Here's our current list - I've received a few more packages.

Socalgardengal - Received
    Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42 - Me
    Dem_pa
    Clay_lady - Received
    sassybutterfly_2008
    borge99
    Blingbrown
    happygardener23
    garden_love
    skyblue52
    HelenB1949
    Jensyen
    SubruralGirl
    Pinkiris
    Scorpioangel

We have 5 more days to sign up, for any of you lurkers out there!

Have a great weekend!
    Julia

• garden_love
    11 years ago

I mailed my seeds out today and forgot to put the return address label and stamps in! I will get them out into the mail tomorrow!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

My seeds are on their way! Julia, Thanks for hosting. It looks like you're going to be busy. We should all post our favorite salad recipes while we are waiting. What do you think?

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a nice idea! What's your favorite? It's kind of hard to pick, but it seems like my favorite is always the salad from the season that's not quite here yet... Right now I'm looking forward to :

1 sliced cucumber
    3 sliced tomatoes
    chopped fresh basil
    fresh goat cheese
    salt
    squeeze of lemon

However, what I'm currently eating is this type of salad (which is really good, too):

Fresh picked lettuce
    Chickweed
    topped with a sliced radish
    shredded carrots
    4 sliced strawberries
    fresh goat cheese
    pecans
    homemade grapefruit/vanilla dressing

Yum! I'll be missing the lettuce salads later on while I'm eating my cucumber/tomato salads. The grass is always greener, right?

I grow about 5-10 varieties of lettuce every year. My new favorites this year are "Grandpa Admire's" and "Crisp Mint", which really takes the warmer days around here well.

-Julia

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

My favorite.
    MANDARIN ORANGE AND ALMOND SALAD
    1/2 c. chopped Almonds, toasted with 1 Tbsp Sugar *
    6-8 c. Romaine Lettuce or Lettuce of choice
    1/2 cup sliced Celery
    2-4 sliced Green Onions
    1 lg can Mandarin Oranges, drained
    DRESSING: Shake in a jar
    1/3 c. Vegetable Oil
    3 Tbsp. Sweetener of choice
    1/4 c. chopped Parsley
    3 Tbsp. Vinegar
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    Dash of Back Pepper
    Toss the dressing and salad just before serving. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
    * Carefully toast almonds in a skillet til golden. With wooden spoon, carefully spread out on foil to cool. Break apart when cooled.
    I take this sweet and nutty salad to parties and it's always a hit. I always keep a can or two of mandarin oranges in my pantry. Sometimes I add thinly sliced red onions instead of scallions. For an asian twist I substitute chow mein noodles, peanuts, red pepper, sesame seeds and grilled chicken. You can add a teaspoon of peanut butter and soy or fish sauce to the dressing and omit the salt. I wish I were having this for lunch today. But alas, I'll probably make a PB&J sandwich.

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a reminder that today is the last day to sign up for our Salad Swap! Anyone else want to join?

Please let me know if your name is on the list of participants, but you haven't received an email from me.

I've received a few more envelopes, so here's an updated list:

Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42 - Me
    Dem_pa -Received
    Clay_lady - Received
    sassybutterfly_2008
    borge99
    Blingbrown
    happygardener23
    garden_love
    skyblue52
    HelenB1949
    Jensyen - received
    SubruralGirl
    Pinkiris
    Scorpioangel

Thanks!
    Julia

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

Julia ~ I apologize but I am going to have to drop from the swap. I just haven't got the time yet to put my package together and the rest of the week and weekend are overloaded with work and school. *sigh* I am very sorry but it looks like you have a lovely bunch and I'm sure it'll be a great outcome. Happy Gardening everyone!

• borge99
    11 years ago

mailed my seeds out today.

• borge99
    11 years ago

Mailed mine today

• pinkiris
    11 years ago

Mailed my seeds today. Tried emailing you with my wish list, but it wouldnt allow me to email you back, said it came from GW.

• scorpioangel sunset 21
    11 years ago

I mailed my seeds on Friday

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Pinkiris,

I thought I already had posted a reply to you but now it isn't here - strange. I wanted to ask you if you included a wish list in your package. If so, that should be fine - I don't need it in email form. However, if you didn't include one in the package, let me know and I'll email you from my regular email so you can send a reply with your wish list in it.

Thanks!
    Julai

• pinkiris
    11 years ago

Julia

I forgot to include the wish list in my package, lol. Please email me so I can send it to you, or I can send through the mail. Thanks. =)

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PinkIris, I sent you an email with my email address.

Also, I've received a package with no GardenWeb name in it (that I've found). It's from a "Susan", and has a lot of full seed packages. Let me know who you are so I can add your info to my spreadsheet!

Thanks,
    Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think also in my missing post was my reply to SassyButterfly_2008 where I said that it's no problem! These things happen and sometimes the business of life sneaks up on us... I hope you have a great gardening year - best of luck in 2013!

Also, it contained an updated list. Here it is:

Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42 - Me
    Dem_pa -Received
    Clay_lady - Received
    borge99
    Blindingbrown - Received
    happygardener23 - Received
    garden_love - Received
    skyblue52 - Received (I think you're Susan?)
    HelenB1949
    Jensyen - received
    SubruralGirl
    Pinkiris
    Scorpioangel

I'm now waiting on 5 packages. 3 days left!

Happy gardening everyone!

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today I received 3 more packages, so here is our list:

Veganruthie - Received
    Julia42 - Me
    Dem_pa -Received
    Clay_lady - Received
    borge99 - Received
    Blindingbrown - Received
    happygardener23 - Received
    garden_love - Received
    skyblue52 - Received (I think you're Susan?)
    HelenB1949 - Received
    Jensyen - received
    SubruralGirl
    Pinkiris - Received
    Scorpioangel

So now I'm just waiting on Subruralgirl and Scorpioangel. The sorting will begin soon - I have quite a variety of seeds here!

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received Scopioangel's envelope today, so now I'm just waiting on SubruralGirl's - let me know if your envelope is on the way! Tomorrow's the deadline for seeds to be in.

Thanks,
    Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorting lots of little packages of seeds! Subruralgirl, I still haven't received your envelope or heard from you, so I'm assuming you dropped the swap...

Hopefully I'll have these sorted and mailed by tomorrow or Saturday.

Happy Gardening!
    -Julia

• borge99
    11 years ago

that is fast!!!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we'll see. I'm sort of regretting posting that - now I'm starting to think Monday may be more reasonable!

-Julia

• borge99
    11 years ago

that is still really fast. thank you for hosting this swap

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mailing out four packages today:

Veganruthie
    Jensyen
    Scorpioangel
    Pinkiris

More to come!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay! Today I mailed out:

Socalgardengal
    Dem_pa
    Clay_lady
    borge99
    Blindingbrown
    happygardener23
    garden_love
    skyblue52
    HelenB1949

So that takes care of all our participants. Let me know as you guys receive your packages so I know the seeds all made it home all right. I hope everybody enjoys what I sent!

Now I just need to get my own package together for the cucumber & melon swap...

-Julia

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Thank you Julia for hosting and Thank you everyone for sharing seeds! Will let you know when I receive my package :) ~ Christine

• borge99
    11 years ago

Is anyone else having issues with getting a pantene ad whenever you try to click on a post? very frustrating. took me 10 mins to finally get here.

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

I received my package today, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I'm going to have one of the best salads I've ever had real soon! Thank you for the wonderful choices Julia :)

• pinkiris
    11 years ago

I received my package today =) Thank you so much for everything, cant wait to get my garden going again!

• borge99
    11 years ago

received mine today-Thank you Julia for hosting and all who shared some really great seeds !

• borge99
    11 years ago

received mine today-Thank you Julia for hosting and all who shared some really great seeds !

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

I received my seeds today. A big thank you to Julia for being a great host and selecting wonderful seeds for me. And a thank you to everyone who shared their seeds. Hope your gardens grow well this year.

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

I received my package today. Wow, I was blown away by the variety and generosity of everyone. This was my year swapping non-tomato group swaps, and the first package that I've received. I had no idea what to expect. Seeing how generous everyone was I wish that I had known to be a bit more heavy-handed when shaking out my seed packages. Please forgive me, I'll know better next time. I am so excited to look up all of the plants that I received. Thank you all again and a very special thank you to Julia for all of your work.

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks to all who contributed to my seed addiction. Thanks also to a great hostess.

Don

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm glad you're all happy with your seeds! It's always a lot of fun hosting these things and seeing all the different varieties that people send in, so thanks to all of you for participating!

Garden_love, I got your package sent back to my address today. It looks like the label with your address came off, so the envelope had my address on it again (it was under the label). Anyhow, I'll send it back out tomorrow.

Happy Gardening!

-Julia

• garden_love
    11 years ago

That no problem! You should get those stamps soon too if you havnt already!

• scorpioangel sunset 21
    11 years ago

I'm a bit late to post, but I did receive my seeds. Thank you to all participants as I now have a few unknown-to-me varieties to plant for my household! This was the 2nd seed swap I've ever participated in and I'm hooked (and more aware of how everything works). Thank you to our gracious hostess as well!

• blindingbrown
    11 years ago

I have not received my package yet, can you tell me when it was sent? Thanks!

Monica in New Rochelle, NY

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Monica,

I mailed your package out on March 2, which would have been a full week ago... Boy, I hope it gets to you - I haven't had a package get lost in the mail before. :(

I'm sorry - give it a little longer to see if it shows up. Maybe I can pull some seed together for you if it doesn't...

-Julia

• garden_love
    11 years ago

I got mine yesterday and thank you very much! What a great job!

• skyblue52
    11 years ago

Hello received my seeds. great Thank you for hosting

• blindingbrown
    11 years ago

Julia,

I received my seeds today. I could not be happier with the selections, the variety, and the number of seeds. Not sure why it was delayed, but I'm very grateful they've arrived.

Thank you,

Monica a.k.a. BlindingBrown

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Monica! I'm so happy your seeds showed up! I was just thinking I show go through my stash today to see how many extra packets I could pull out for you if they never made it. I'm really glad you liked the variety, too.

There's still a few people I haven't heard from. I hope everyone else has received their seeds too...

Thanks,
    Julia

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler