Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hohumhollow

Herbs Galore!

hohumhollow
13 years ago

Good Morning GW!

As a brand new member here, I thought I would jump in both feet first and arms flailing about ridiculously. First a little about myself, I am pretty new to having my very own garden. I grew up helping both my grandparents and my parents in their gardens, but last year was the first I planted my very own. It was a simple garden because I wanted to start off slow and didn�t have much money to invest in seeds. This year, I am going all out, taking these dreary winter months to plan my garden down to the very tiniest detail. I am so very excited and thankful to all of you how have helped out by offering seeds through SASE or adoption (thanks again dem_pa)!

Now on to the exchange!

I would like to host an Herb exchange.

There will be a minimum of 5 packs of seeds for any type of herb, only 3 pack of the same herb are allowed.

All packs must be clearly labeled and packed in a bubble envelope. Please include enough seeds, and remember that what you give is what you get back.

Include with your seeds: enough postage for me to mail it back to you, a label with your address, a wish list and a sent list (so that I can try to send you something different than what you sent in), and please include your name, GW name, and e-mail address so that I can track everything.

Finally, the deadline to sign-up is the 22nd and you must mail your seeds by February 1st.

I am so excited and eager to host this exchange (please let me know if I am missing anything.)

Blessings,

Jay

Comments (52)

• jessewo
    13 years ago

I'd like to join!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Jesse!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I'd like to join. I don't have a lot of herbs, but I can send in some :) vina

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Flowergirl. I am going to hold off sending out my address until we have at least two more people.

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

I'd like to sign up too!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is still time to sign up! Let me know if you would like to join.

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

Is this swap for cullinary herbs only or medicinal ones also?

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I'll sign up too.
    I'm pretty sure that mine are just culinary and fairly common ones at that. Will that be ok????
    Bethb

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome!

• smitties
    13 years ago

My package, although small, is going out tomorrow. I don't do as much in culinary as I do in medicinal. They should be enjoyed by someone.

Thanks for hosting Jay, smitties

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning everyone!
    My small bubblie is on its way. Boy, this swap made me think and have to sift through the big tub of seeds...and now I really need to clean out my seeds, lol!

Thanks Jay for hosting!
    Happy Sowing everyone!
    vina

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All!
    I'm excited to start recieving your bubblies. I will post when I recieve yours. If you did not get my address, let me know. Those who have joined are:

smitties
    jessew
    flowergirl34
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak
    HoHumHollow

Thanks for making my first swap fun!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I've just been reading the beautiful book "Heirloom Herbs" and discovered that several of my flowers are also considered "Herbs".
    That adds a couple to the packet I'll be mailing out today.
    Herbs seem to resist the bunnies better than a lot of other stuff so I hope to try some new ones.
    bb

• celeegra
    13 years ago

I would love to join too!
    I've been trying to collect a nice herb garden & have a couple extra packets that I could swap.

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a quick update since we have a new addition! When I get you bubblies. I will post here when I get them in the mail.

smitties
    jessew
    flowergirl34
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak
    HoHumHollow
    Celeegra

So exciting! Can't wait to start to receive your seeds!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first bubblie is in!!

smitties - Recieved
    jessew
    flowergirl34
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak
    HoHumHollow
    Celeegra

Blessings,
    Jay

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I'm a bit late, but I'd love to join if you've got room for one more! :)

Thanks,
    Wendy / sassyb

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"sneaking under the line"...is there still time?

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's still time! There's still time! Welcome!

Here's the list of the participants,

smitties - Recieved
    jessew
    flowergirl34
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak
    HoHumHollow
    Celeegra
    sassybutterfly_2008
    lindaruzika

Blessings,
    Jay

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

May I join in also? This sounds like so much fun!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another new participant and some bubblies received!

smitties - Recieved
    jessew
    flowergirl34 - Recieved
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak - Recieved
    HoHumHollow
    Celeegra
    sassybutterfly_2008
    lindaruzika
    brambleoak

Beth - Thanks again for the added seeds for Manuela. I know that she will just love them!

Blessings,
    Jay

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Hey Jay,

Is there a maximum number of packets to be mailed in?

Thanks!
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

My package went out today! :)

Thanks,
    Wendy

• jessewo
    13 years ago

The seeds are in the mail!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok,so far I have received:

smitties - Received
    jessew
    flowergirl34 - Received
    naturegirl236 - Recieved
    beth_b_kodiak - Received
    HoHumHollow
    Celeegra
    sassybutterfly_2008 - Received
    lindaruzika
    brambleoak

It's so nice to open the bubblies and smell all the herb seeds!

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

Did mine arrive yet?

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Just checking in for any updates! :)

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I have yet to receive some of your bubblies (I am assuming they've been delayed because of all of the snow. However I don't want to delay the participants that I have gotten, so, I am going to do this in two rounds. Smitties, flowergirl, naturegirl, beth_b_kodiak, and sassybutterfly will swap; and when I get the bubblies from jessew, celeegra, linda, and bramble I will swap them. I hope this is ok by everyone! I'm so excited for you to get your herbs! Blessings!

Jay

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Well, have you heard from the other participants yet? Personally, I think it'd be better for everyone if we wait til all the envies have arrived, but I'm game either way! lol Just wondered if you've been in contact with the others or not.

~Wendy

• jessewo
    13 years ago

They haven't arrived yet? Our mail has been fine here, but I know there have been problems other places. I've got my fingers crossed-please let me know when they arrive

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Maybe Monday,IT's worth waiting another day or two.
    Though, I'm like Wendy, either way is OK with me.
    BB

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Well we've definitely had our share of snowstorms this winter. Still I'm surprised that you haven't gotten mine yet. Well either way I'm ok
    thanks, grace

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

Surprised mine hasn't arrived yet either. :( Thanks for your patience tho....

• smitties
    13 years ago

I don't mind waiting if you haven't sent any packages yet. You should be getting the other packages any day now.

Just let me know when they go out. I can't plant for a while anyway. :) Thanks Margo

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

Can I still sign up for this? I have so many herbs that need homes!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All!

Ok so after my last posting, I recieved celeegra's and jesse's that same day. I figured I'd wait until Monday, and sure enough bramble's came in. Linda has withdrawn from the exchange. Now I am ready to swap! I will have your bubblies out in the mail by this weekend.

Just a little forwarning, there have been alot of the same types of seed sent in, feverfew, parsley, basil, etc. I am trying to send you back a different variety, but I just wanted to give you a head's up. It seems we all have very similar herbs. I promise that you will get something new though.

Blessings,
    Jay

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all your hard work and patience Jay! (glad mine finally arrived. LOL)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

G'morning everyone!

I have some herb questions if anyone would like to chime in... What herbs grow best in part/shade? I have 3 already made beds that were here when I moved into this house but 2 are part shade and 1 is very dappled shade. It's closest to the kitchen so I would LOVE to have some herbs growing in it. Does anyone have any experience growing any herbs in p/s?

Also, is it just me, or is Comfrey SEED really hard to find!?! lol

Thanks!
    Wendy

• peaches0104
    13 years ago

Jay,

Sign me up for the herb exchange... luv them
    peaches
    BTW Wendy cilantro and parsley like the particle shade and cooler weather, grown them in the winter. And most of the herb seeds are small so barely cover the seeds when germinating them. Also Tina Marie Wilcox of Ozark Folk center is a expert of herbs, heres her email, wilcox@arkansas.gov tina.wilcox@arkansas.gov

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

I'd like to take part if there's room!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

MMMMMm, I'm getting anxious now to see and smell some new herbs.
    Looks like the rosemary here survived the cold. Hooray.
    BB

• smitties
    13 years ago

Jay

I was wondering if you sent the envelopes last weekend? I have not received anything as of yet. I am beginning my seed planting and anxious to get the herbs started. Could you give us an update.

Thanks

Smitties

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Agreed, I'd love an update as well. :)

Thanks!
    ~Wendy

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Seeds arrived in todays mail. Several that I had been wanting. Thanks for hosting and to all for sharing.
    Bethb

• smitties
    13 years ago

Yeah, hoping I get mine soon too.

• jessewo
    13 years ago

Seeds! Seeds! Seeds in the mail!

Thank You!

jesew/Beth

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I received my pkg today, too! Thanks!! :)

• celeegra
    13 years ago

I got mine yesterday! Thank you!

• hohumhollow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello all! I am sorry for kinda falling away. I had a family issue that needed to be dealt with. I am glad that some of you have recieved your seeds and are enjoying them! I hope that you all got something that you had wanted or something new to you. If you haven't, would you please post to let me know that you have recieved your bubblie. Thanks and enjoy your herbs!

smitties -
    jessew - recieved
    flowergirl34 -
    naturegirl236
    beth_b_kodiak - recieved
    Celeegra - recieved
    sassybutterfly_2008 - recieved
    lindaruzika
    brambleoak

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey Ho Hum!
    You can check me off the list...I got mine :)
    A little funny though. I sent the reg. envie with my addy on it so you could tape it to my bubble envie. When I got just the envie back at first I looked at it and said "wow!" someone has handwriting just like me :) The seeds were fine, but it sure made me chuckle.

Thanks again for hosting!
    vina