Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap

drippy
16 years ago

This is a continuation of the original thread - sign-ups for this swap are now closed. Everyone should have received an email from me by now; if not, please let me know! Looking forward to those packages coming in - I'll post here as they are received.

Happy New Year, all!

Kim

Comments (148)

• shimla
    16 years ago

I just looked at the link! I guess we are going to all be doing chocolate gardens soon! The Ed Murray daylily reminded me of a daylily I have in my yard. It came to me in a plant trade unnamed. It's not a chocolate, it's a maroon shade. It blooms later than my other daylilies, I want to say in August it started going off. Is anyone interested in any? I have a bag of them so let me know!

roflol - you can breathe a sigh of relief because you are very, very hard for me to pick for!

• aaaccc
    16 years ago

I got mine in the mail today.
    Kim, I was so thrilled that I was actually able to squeeze in all 203 packs of seeds into one envelope, that I forgot to include return postage. So I'll be mailing it separately, on Monday. And you'll easily recognize my bubble mailer because of the tape, I covered every inch of it with packing tape! Yeah, it's that stuffed!
    Alice

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Shimla: it seems like we have really similar soil. Do you have deer to contend with, as well?

My town is surrounded by habitat for the Karners, so they may fly through here anyway. Maybe adding lupine plants will make them linger!

I'd love a couple of your daylily seeds, that color and being late-blooming sounds great!

• shimla
    16 years ago

Ya! One more seed packet found a home! We used to have deer but they never bothered my garden until they plowed down the woods next door :(. I *think* there is only one that comes around now. She was very confused about where to go and she beheaded all of my hosta and daylily (day before they would bloom) one year! I'm a little concerned about the new arborvitae hedge I put in along the back where she must come from. I read that you can lay down chicken wire/netting and they won't walk over it. I'm going to do that when they get larger (the fence is still up right now) and see how that works. Have you ever tried it? Someone posted the suggestion on the WS forum. Apparently they don't like the feel of it on their footsies and can't see there way around it. I feel bad that she can't come over for a snack. I think she used to cut through the woods and eat from my apple tree up front. I saw her just once in my yard but she went running before I could snap a good picture. I put an apple tree way at the bottom corner of my property which she's welcome to.

• etravia
    16 years ago

Oooh Shimla, I would love to try that daylily also. I like the fact that it blooms later. That would be nice!
    Thank you,
    Maggie

• moonphase
    16 years ago

shimla,I'm waving my hand high for a dark daylily,would be perfect for my red bed.I started collecting daylilies this past yr.I have some seed to ws from a woman that hybrids hers and can't wait to see what they turn out to be.I still gasp at some of the prices so it will not be a die for collection..lol
    jase,finally got an email from you.Thank You for the penstemon.I love that plant.
    drippy,have not gotten an email from you.I checked my junk mail and it is not there,soo,maybe someone can send me your address to Ladydesireus@yahoo.com.I just updated on yahoo and hope that will straighten my mail out.I have been in bed with the flu but have been packing seeds up.I will have to get it in gear now and get them bagged up.
    micrey,I have some vege seeds I will send for the community garden.
    moonphase

• plantaholics
    16 years ago

Stage_rat did you get my emails this morning?

PLMK
    Jase

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Jase:
    Hi, yes I did, thank you! I will write a response right now. I've been goofing off too much!

Shimla:
    I'm not too sure about the chickenwire, I have that in a spot where I need to build a gate. I still see deerprints in the snow...

• maricybele
    16 years ago

Omg, what a mind bender..... I am done package is ready to go. I really had to stretch on this one. Yippee.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, fellow gardeners - it is so neat for me to watch the conversations you all are having on this post - too cool! One of the side effects of a good round robin is the camaraderie - but it really depends on who's involved as well as the timing in their lives - guess it must be a good time for all (or most - I'm still hoping to hear from Moonberry Mary that she might accept seeds that are sent in to her from this swap - caring for aging parents is rough) of you.

I have begun the process of going through my ridiculous (porky) seed stash to match up seeds for your themes/want lists. I think I can manage a little something for pretty much everyone - this looks like it's going to be a way cool swap.

• momcat
    16 years ago

I am still trying to add some things from everyone's want lists.

I found some Triple Yellow Datura, Caesalpina pulcherrima, and Caesalpina gillesii, that I got from generous traders, if anyone is interested.

I also have 5 small trades (3 seeds each) of Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers. I don't know how to post a picture here, otherwise I would. E-mail me if you would like to see it. The seeds from the mother plant I got from a MG collector in Japan. It has been a prolific bloomer for me.

Deb

• shimla
    16 years ago

Wow - I think I'm just about done. I'm waiting on a seed order (hope will be here Monday) then I should be set to go. There was a lot to look through!!! I didn't back track to what everyone has on the 'Haves' list as it was I spent another 2 1/2 hours this morning going through want lists. I have to get myself better organized for these kinds of swaps! It might have helped a bit if I had some things packed first. Not to mention, I had done a couple of group swaps so really didn't know what was in the seed box lol!

Drippy - Question - Are you trying to do a side project for the newbies or are you just trying to save yourself the headache of trying to place everything? I don't want to swamp you with any extra things to contend with if they aren't really wanted! I should be getting a general swap package in and I know there will be stuff the newbies would love. This has really been a fun, fun swap and the packages haven't even gotten mailed yet!!!

Moonphase - I have you down for the daylily. I was having fun crossing DL's for a couple of years until I realized I don't have space for a field of them! There is really something special about creating a flower and being the first one in the world to see it bloom!

Stage rat - sounds like I might be in trouble with my deer! Hopefully she will get full at the apple tree :)

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shimla, with the swap, here's how I deal - first, I match as much stuff as I can to everyone's themes/wants. Then I go through what's left and add what I think folks will or might want - this is typically where newbies make out great - I know there are some things the vets will have tons of, so I don't bother trying to foist them on them - and to some extent, this varies from vet to vet. I, too, though, am guilty of not checking the "haves" list because it takes so much time to go through wants - that's why I asked folks to include a list of up to 20 seeds they definitely DON'T want (and I'm talking nice seeds here, not poison ivy, LOL). In the end, I will almost certainly not be able to send 300 different things back to a 300 sender - and those folks (I'm typically one) often say "PLEASE DON'T SEND THAT MANY BACK!!!!" - so I will have a pile left - many duplicates - to send on to either Karen or Trudi for newbies. I let them deal with the actual distribution to newbies; I just don't have time for that, and that's an ongoing project with them.

If you want to send in things you'd like to go on to newbies, I'm not averse to that - I'll just add them in to the newbie boxes (the last one I sent Trudi, and that was just out of my own stash, took a BOX to send). It would be great if you could throw them all in one baggie or envelope marked for newbies; that way, I'd know I don't have to try to fit them to people in the swap. (Of course, I might look through them first to see if I think anyone needs anything anyway. :))

• fairydancer
    16 years ago

Shimla, If you haven't finished up, I'll try the daylily. I haven't had much luck winter sowing dayliles, but I got a bunch of nice ones from my last swap and I'm giving them one last try this year.

Momcat, I'd love to try the Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers! Good for my vertical or moon garden!!

Deb

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Momcat, I would love to try Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers. I will send e-mail and see what you might like in exchange for it. I assume this is not through the Theme Garden Swap so we can work it out on our own. Thanks!

Jeanne

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Momcat I would jump up and down for the white morning glory. I have the red feather one. I it sent to someone in the swap but cant remeber who I sent my envys already mailed. It was on their want list. It is so foggy here today but I got to go out to the gh and put my water barrel in there today. I start the job next monday. It went good with the human resource lady. She was very nice. All the people I have met there have been nice. I have a bedroom to paint and a laminate floor to put down before I start. So it is nice starting next monday. Hope all of your weekends are going well. Drippy you have to be a really organized person to handle of the seeds. WOW I think I would be dreaming of seeds Lol. Has anyone seen the new variegated hibiscus awesome they said it does not set seed. Bummer Barb

• momcat
    16 years ago

I was offering the white Hige as part of this swap. I have a limited number of seeds that I am using for trades and swaps and thought I would offer 5 here. I wish I had enough to offer to everyone. Rosepedal, sandlapper rose and rosepedal, I have packs in your envelopes for the swap.

Deb

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

WOW, I had some catching up to do, Been off line for a couple days, working too much!!! I have my package ready to go in the mail monday morning. I hope all the seeds find really good homes. Thank you everyone for the kindness.
    Love yall!!!! Kelly

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    I got one of my seeds orders sat and divied up some of the packs, I'm still gonna wait till the last muinet to see if the other one comes in on time. looks like I'm gonna end up with around 150 packs.
    moonphase - thanks for the vegies, we have a small Comm. garden, about 18 plots some people have only 1/2 plot. I maniged to overfill my full plot last year, so we boxup all extra vegies and take them to the salvation army shrlter. it feels good to give them some fresh vegies instead of just canned stuff.
    thanks again
    michelle

• momcat
    16 years ago

Sorry, I guess I was typing faster than my brain was working. I meant to add fairydancer to the list for the feathered MG.

Deb

• monarch_girl
    16 years ago

Hi Momcat,
    I would be interested in a few Triple Yellow Datura seeds. As long as I leave some room in the backyard for the dogs, I think it will be ok LOL

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Momcat-
    Does that mean you have a pack left of the Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers ? I would like to try the feathered MG- if there is enough...

Thanks-
    Julie

• etravia
    16 years ago

Momcat (love your name!) I would like to try some of your triple Datura. I looked it up and it is beautiful!
    Rosepedal, congrats on the job! Now you can buy more seeds to trade with us! :)
    I have been using the "search members lists" to match up stuff too. As I'm going through my stash, if I have an overabundance of something, I key that in, and then match it to people on this swap! I just found this little feature last week. I wish I knew about it sooner!
    Maggie

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Members Lists

• momcat
    16 years ago

OK, I've got julie_mn down for the white feathered MG, and monarch_girl and etravia down for the triple yellow Datura. I think that is all the datura seeds now.

Deb

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Lol I need to update my trade list.....It as not been done in a long time.... I havent been doing too much trading... I have another list in excel. I love that database. I use it for everything. Momcat it was violet feathers oops. If you would like 5 of them. Email me your address and I will send them to you. You dont need to send postage.... Barb

• fairydancer
    16 years ago

Thanks momcat!

Deb

• momcat
    16 years ago

Thanks for the offer Barb, I already have the purple feathers, though.

Deb

• pattygrow5
    16 years ago

Deb if you have anymore of the white feather morning glory I would love some!
    Patty

• roflol
    16 years ago

Hoo, boy. It took several hours but The Deed is done... at least the choosing part. I should have them packed up and on their way by Wednesday.

shimla, lol. Um, are there some toadflax Flamenco for me (I hope..I hope)? That's some serious color! Thanks in advance, either way. Now I know it exists! :-)

plantaholics, I'm snagging your idea of the half #10s to hold members' seeds; I'm out of ziplocks, but envelopes I got... might even raid the recycle bin and see if there are some there I can use. Thanks for the idea!

rosepedal, congrats on the job! I understand the need to talk to real people. When my youngest starts school, I plan to (try to) get a face-to-face job myself. Work-at-home has its benefits, but socialization is *not* one of them! When I "escape" I tend to make up for it big time (TMI Syndrome), and I worry sometimes what impression I make. lol.

Terri
    rofLoL
    ;-)

• kelboindy
    16 years ago

OMG, My job sometimes gives me more face to face with people than I can handle !! I am a poker dealer at Caesars, Im telling you, sometimes I see more of some peoples real personality than I care too!! I love people, and usually love my job, meet all kinds of people from everywhere. Sorry I just had a rough night. got off early though.

• limequilla
    16 years ago

OMG! Kelbo, You have my dream job! What fun to get paid for playing poker! ROTFLO, You are a delight, no matter what the forum, I always enjoy your posts!

We were talking about Datura, and I grew Belle Blache last year (Julie_MN's seed). I liked it, but are you supposed to trim it or something? It gets big! It's fun to have on the patio because the white flowers glow, and you can sit and watch them open while enjoying cocktails.

That said, I have these ready to go if anybody wants them (one pack each, all from trades). I think they are all supposed to be scented, not sure. I'm sticking with the Belle next year.:

Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'
    Datura alba
    Datura Le Fleur Blue scented
    Datura metel 'Belle Blanche'
    Datura Triple Yellow

Either email me by pasting my email addy (on my member page) or post here, sounds like that is okay with Drippy. These are "free of charge" and won't be counted in your seed totals if you're worried about that.

Lime

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello
    limequlla - I would like one of your daturas, eather the blue or black current. if your out thanks for offering anyway.
    michelle

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

HI Limequilla I would like to try the datura triple yellow if you have a little bit. Everyone here is so awesome. I cannot wait to see the gardens this year. I got the base coat done now for the fun stuff color yipee. I hate painting. Our cabin where we are living is mostly paneling yuk. I almost have painted over all of it. Yipee. Some day we are planning on building a house. I just know as soon as I get the cabin to where it is livable we will tear it down LOL Have a great day everyone. Back to chores Barb

• limequilla
    16 years ago

I got an email, so the Datura 'Black Currant Swirl' is now gone.

Only white left.

However, I am having a Blue Light Special on Malvas -- today only. LOL! There is nothing wrong with this plant except it shows up in swaps a lot because the seeds are very easy to harvest (because you don't have to catch them on a certain day like some others), and they are also easy to clean. It blooms in sun, or part shade, and is a lovely cottage garden plant. There is only one Cottage Theme, and that person probably already has this, but please, if not, speak up!!! All from trades, all one pack available.

Malva 'Zebrina'
    Malva Moschata (Muskmallow)
    Malva Moschata Pink (Muskmallow)
    Malva Moschata Pink (Muskmallow)
    Malva Purple 18"

Lime

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, all - mailman brought quite a few from you today.

Seeds are now here from:

Stacy2564
    Rosepedal Barb (2 envelopes)
    Sandlapper Rose
    Beckilove
    AlbertaR

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

hello kim
    my envie is on the way
    DC# 0306 3030 0001 8904 1750
    please let me know if I did not send enough postage.
    thanks
    michelle

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Break time.... I can relax now I know they made it shooo. Momcat I saw your posted pictures of the white feathered mg over on the other garden site. WOW they are beutiful and you take great pictures! I cannot wait to plant and watch the flowers grow. I was thinking they might be pretty growing along a climbing red rose. OHHHH now I have to put that on my list to buy this spring... Thank you for the seeds. Well I hope my visitors will be able to sleep in the bedroom. Never paint in the wintertime... I must miss the sun. The room turned out sunshine yellow and it is bright. LOL (GRIN) LOL (GRIN) PS. Drippy I hope I sent enough postage also if not please let me know. Thank you Barb

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Etravia, I like your method for seeing who in our swap has a seed on their Wants list! That's perfect, since sometimes I come across seeds in my stash that I'd forgotten about, I know someone had them on their Wants list, but I don't remember who.

And the business envelopes cut in half for grouping people's seed packets: I was all proud of myself because I came up with that idea recently, after doing several swaps where I was trying to staple slithery little ziplock bags together. Jase got that idea on his first group swap! I guess I'll just be proud that I came up with it at SOME point, and try to ignore that DTP, "delayed thought process," struck me again.

I often use envelopes to collect seed, so I always open my mail by cutting a short end of the envelope. If I know it's junk mail, I just cut it all in half, so I have more half-envelopes to use! They're not great for tiny seeds, though--the flap never seals completely in the corner.

I have been working on a spreadsheet technique for these group swaps, so if anyone wants to know what I did, or has their own method, let me know. I don't know Excel very well at all--I have to google instructions for everything I want to do!

Lastly: my mom collected the seed heads from her Montauk Daisy (Nippon daisy) and handed them to me yesterday. I'm not completely sure that the seeds are good (this is the first year she grew it) but I know the heads were nice and brown before she harvested them. If anyone wants potential Montauk daisy seeds, let me know! They're "freebies" since I'm not sure what good seed vs bad looks like on these. This is a white daisy that blooms in autumn, and has neat leathery leaves. Etravia, I saw it on your list, so I'll send it for you.

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

I'm glad my seeds got to you okay, Drippy. You are doing a great job of keeping things organized! I know that we all appreciate you doing this swap.
    My Burpee catalog arrived today and there I was looking for "vanilla" and "chocolate" - maybe I can harvest some appropriate seeds for next year - or later this year!
    Have a good week, everyone!

Jeanne

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Lime-
    I am so glad to hear you liked Belle Blanch- she is my Fav white Dat- I just love the almost frosted blue green of the foliage- and the frosty pink to the stalks and stems, when you can see them. Mine got absolutely HUGE this year...
    {{gwi:343227}}

That is 2 plants, taken earlier in the season- Each of those bricks around the edge of the bed is 6".... As the season progressed- I had to cut them back a couple of times! Each time filling a wheel barrow at least half full....

The triple yellow dat in the upper right hand corner was big- but was dwarfed by ol' Blanche! The Black Pearl peppers are the black foliage in the front- and the pink flowers belong to a bronzed leaf Bishops Children Dahlia- all of these seeds are in the 2 big envelopes headed to Drippy...

This is an early evening pic caught just at magic time.... You can literally watch them open at twilight...
    {{gwi:343229}}

• momcat
    16 years ago

OK, Pattygrow, you got the last of the White Feathered MG.
    Now to get everything marked and packed up. I have baggies,and piles of seeds everywhere!!

Deb

• shimla
    16 years ago

Okay, my seed order came so I'm all packed and ready to go tomorrow! Whooosh! Everyone, (you too ROF!) got a little pack of poppies and the toad flax. And by little, I mean little - the tiny seeds look skimpy but there's enough to fill a pot! Thanks guys!!! I hope everyone finds something they can use from what I've sent.

Everyone that requested the daylilies have them in their baggies. I tossed in a couple of extra in the loose seeds package just in case someone wants one after I mail them. Not much in the loose seeds bag, Drippy! I went through and tried to match as much up as possible. My bubblers full now, so that's all that's going in. It's not a big mess like last year, though, I tried to redeem myself (no shrink wrap this year) :)!

Fairydancer - I noticed the dl's take a long time to germinate when I WS them. Just after you can't stand to look at another pot in your yard, wait another week and then they start sprouting. Give them another try, if you don't get sprouts then take a drive over for some fans :) I have lots of different colors. I put a mixed packet in your baggie too.

Almost time for a new thread already - WOW!

My packs leavin', on a jet plane...
    Can't wait for it to come back again...

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    It's Jan.7th already and I'm still reeling from the Holidays!...LOL... Gee, how time flies! It's been a week since I posted and it looks like I have missed out on some fantastic seed offers and very interesting conversation!
    I've almost gotten my seeds ready to send though. Whew!I don't know how you guys do it! I have sorted and resorted, packed and repacked until I think my brain will explode!(I hope that isn't to gross of an expression, that's just how I feel...LOL) but I love it! And I don't have that many seeds either...LOL.This is a great swap! Many thanks to you, Drippy, you're a brave woman!LOL...Have a great evening everyone!...Marylee
    p.s. Love the pictures!

• etravia
    16 years ago

Ohhh, thanks Stage Rat! Mine will go out tomorrow! I was hoping for today, but I took them to work & weight them & I was 1 OZ over the difference between $2 something or $4 somthing...so I am repacking to make it lighter!
    Thanks everyone!
    Maggie

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Oh, Julie! your place is so, so, POLISHED! If I showed you my plants you would die! If there were 10 seeds in that pack, by golly, I planted 10 seeds, and if I had 10 seedlings, then that's what I planted. I sort of had the Himalayan Version of Belle Blanche. LOL! Hmmm, that fits in with your Oriental swap, doesn't it? The Himilayas? I think I have a few thousand seeds I can send in your envie. LOL! I sound like Sandlapper Rose. Still thinking of themes!

Jules, I have to tell you, your heavy metal theme was just plain evil! So evil, that I felt the need to get even with you. You're getting 200 packs of yellow-GOLD (it is metal and it's heavy!) flowers, all in daisy shapes! Single marigolds, Zinnias, Melampodium, Primrose Gem, single yellow dahlias, and every Rudbeckia known to man, to get even with you for such an evil theme. ROTFL!!!!

Next year my Theme is the dear old President Millard Fillmore Memorial Garden and the Spaghetti and Meatballs garden!

Kisses to all :)) You'll see my seeds soon, Drippy!

Lime

P.S. Can I just throw all this stupid Malva away? Nobody wants it, and I'm sick of seeing it cluttering up my pristine seedbox! snort on the pristine, but can I throw it away? The newbies are getting better stuff apparently.

• roflol
    16 years ago

lol, Lime! You can't throw away seeds! I think it's against the law... somewhere.

Oh... nooooooo!! I have that song from The Meaning of Life screaming through my head now (but paraphrasing, thank you very much!) - "Every seed is sacred, every seed is good.... every seed is needed, in your neighborhood!" I say, send 'em in with enough postage to pass them on to Bakemom and/or Trudi. Everybody has to have at least one malva, and if we all throw ours away what will the newbies start with? (Um, I already have mine, lol.) At least let the Seed Queens decide if they are needed or not. Just my 2 cents worth. ;-)

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, whatever you like, Lime, but you can send them with your stuff if you want - I'm sure I'll be sending stuff to the Newbie Fairy Godmothers, so I'll just include it if you like. There will always be newer newbies.

• Julie
    16 years ago

Ok there Lime,,, I will be planting a Spaghetti Squash (for seeds)and will be looking for some Dread Locks amaranth for Meat balls, to be sending you....

And with a name like Fill-More... Well, it's all in the name... Your sure to be getting MUCH more to fill your beds!

That just happens to be a new bed started last year- believe me, they are not all so pretty..... and I tried something new- I have never used a purchased mulch before- I have used compost, leaves and grass, and always seem to add more weeds to the beds than moisture retentiveness- but wow! That is the ticket! From now on- every bed will be getting a thick coat of shredded cypress wood mulch! Very few weeds made it through- the water stayed right in the root zone instead of draining away in my sandy loam- so my notorious non watering self could stay "on top" of a need for water schedule.

That is a very nice feature Drippy is adding to this swap- she will be sending the excess on the the newbie projects after we are full of seeds! No worries about tossing them- you will be tossing them in the right direction! To those yet to know about this wonderful GW world of seeds and the great folks who share them!

I know I sent a ton of seeds in- and I sent in as much postage as they cost to send, but I am going to be sending on a bit more to cover the excess flow being sent on again. I think I will send chocolate and coffee too- Drippy may need it with all these wonderful seeds heading her way!

Thanks Terri for the new mantra.... I think....

Julie

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, folks - in addition to Frances (fcoffill), who had the seed disaster, I heard from Mary (moonberry), who is in the bittersweet position of taking care of an elderly Mom - if you have not already sent seeds (I haven't really looked at those that have come in) and you want to send a little special seed for them, I will be sending it on to them as well.

As we're reaching the limit on this thread, I'm going to start a new update right after this.

• joyfulsong
    13 years ago

I would love to know more about the DAT, Belle Blanche. I am not familiar with this plant. What conditions does it require?