Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap

Posted by drippy z6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 11:34

This is a continuation of the original thread - sign-ups for this swap are now closed. Everyone should have received an email from me by now; if not, please let me know! Looking forward to those packages coming in - I'll post here as they are received.

Happy New Year, all!

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap

Happy New Year!!!

Shimla! Thanks for the poppy and the Toad Flax, Linaria reticulata "flamenco" -- The colors on that are fantastic!

Kelbo - Sent you an email.

Fran (fcofill) - Good to know about the seed packs, and Beautyberry is easy enough. Soak the seeds until they sink, then dump the whole packet in an area about 6-8" square and sprinkle a light dusting of potting soil, or something, over them. They'll germinate in spring and be about 4" tall by the end of summer. You can transplant in Sept or leave them where they are for another year. If you wintersow them in jugs, the headroom might become an issue.

Lime

o

Happy New Year, everyone!

Drippy, I haven't received your email yet, but I probably still have your info from last year.

I'm off to try cross-country skiing for the first time! Yikes!

o

Lime
Thanks for that info, I love the look of that plant and it is a prefect addition to my bird feeder area. Always looking for new food for the birds. We have so many squirrels and chipmunks that keeping the feeders full is a full time job! (Although I think I finally found the perfect feeder, 4 months ZERO squirrels fed) It is not that I have anything against squirrels, but they are so greedy and they do so much damage.

Frances

o

Fran, as far as I can see, the only birds that eat the seeds of beauty berry are cardinals. I would say that it is not a favorite treat of theirs, either, as there are always a lot of seeds leftover. (but I have a veritible buffet here for all birds, so maybe there are just so many other things around that they prefer. All-in-all I would say that my plant is not a wise expenditure of space, but I am happy to send the seeds and have you make up your own mind about them.

The goldfinches love the 30" tall bachelor buttons, tho...so much so that out of 50 plants, I was able to collect zero seeds, and it looks like I will have NO reseeding! They perch on the stems and their weight puls the plant over, ever so slowly. It's like a little elevator going down in slow motion. They end up about 6" from the ground and still stuffing their faces.

Suzy

o

Kim I still have not recieved your email. I keep looking and nope, nothin... Try me again at kelboking123@yahoo.com

o

I could be reading your address wrong? I'm looking at it now thinking that the character after the e is a #1 as opposed to a lowercase L, which was what I had the first time. I'll try it with the 1 - if that doesn't work, I see from an earlier post that limequilla sent you an email - I'll get in touch with her.

o

lime

sounds like bachelor buttons meet the same fate as coneflowers around here! I don't grudge them the seeds, they are as pretty as the flowers. And the squirels don't seem to bother with the flower seed much (except sunflowers)

;) Even if the beautyberries don't get eaten by the birds they are really pretty.

frances

o
RE: UPDATE: Nope, that didn't work

Okay, it must be a lower case L, as the numeric try failed. I sent off another - let me know if you get it.

Kim

o

Hi Kim, Just wanted to let you know I have not received an email from you yet.

Thanks,
Amy
Naturenut_ohio

o

Amy, I just tried again through your GW Member Page. Please try to contact me directly through mine if you did not receive it.

Thanks,

Kim

o
RE: Email me directly

Kel & Amy, my email address is on my member page. Use it to email me directly, not through GW. I just emailed myself through GW and it didn't come through, but the address I have posted there is the only email address I have. Good luck - if that fails, all I can suggest is that you try one of the other participants.

o
RE: In fact

Using the link on my member page to my direct email, I DID receive the test email I sent myself. Amy, I don't know if you have yahoo mail, but maybe something there is broken? Kel, Limequilla said she sent you an email & hasn't heard back - did you receive hers?

o

Yes, I emailed her back!!???? Im sooo confused,
But, that dont take much. LOL.
Im off to look for your email address.

o

Ok, I just tried to email both of you again, We are haveing some really bad weather right now, Do you think that might have something to do with it??

o

Yay, gotcha Kel! and Amy, too. Now we're cooking; I don't want anyone left out!

I WSed 25 containers today, but while I was doing it, my mind kept going "And I bet would like the rest of "...this is going to be fun!

o

Hi,
I thought I had an e-mail from you, but can't find it now. I sent you an e-mail, I need your address. This has been so much fun going through everyone's wish lists, and "playing seeds" all day!!

Deb

o

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

Jase, I wintersowed some of the penstemons we traded for and put them in my cold frame. Hopefully they germinate as I am looking forward to growing these plants which I think are beautiful. I ended up WS 72 pots of different seeds yesterday, once I got started I could not stop.

Someone mentioned about storing their seeds and I made a box from an old flat rate priority box and put a divider down the middle and made a top to go on it. I use the smaller white envelopes and write the name in the top corner and it makes it easier to find seeds. I can store it under my bed when not in use.

Have a great day,
Annette

o

Hey, all you un-emailed people:

Even though Drippy replied directly to an email of mine, Yahoo dumped it into my Bulk mail folder. I do try to check there when I think someone has a sent a bulk email out. I think Yahoo directed Drippy's recent group email into there, and then directed even the email written just to me into there because she is now believed to be a spammer by my Yahoo filter! Moving her into my Inbox may fix that-- we'll see.

So, be sure to check your Spam or Bulk mailbox to see if your email is in there! Doing a Yahoo Mail Search will not search the Bulk folder, I've just found out.

o

More surplus seeds.
If you'd like any of these, please email me and I'll add them to your packet.

Rudbeckia 'Rustic Dwarf'
Rudbeckia hirta 'Sonora'
Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer'
Rudbeckia missouriensis
Rudbeckia hirta 'Autumn Colors'
Rudbeckia hirta 'Goldilocks'
Rudbeckia hirta 'Cordoba'
Rudbeckia hirta 'Kelvedon Star'
Morning Glory 'Jamie Lynn'
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Summer's Kiss'

Alice
aaaccc @ gmail.com

o

Ok, emails are found!!! Yay!
And after carefull consideration I have finally decided my
"Theme" is Petals!!! Tadaaah, Sounds so simple huh! Well I love any kind of flower that has petals.
Daisys
Rudbeckia
Coneflowers** Echinacia, I already have the regular purple
sunflowers
columbine
strawflowers
Get the idea??

o

Hello aaaccc, I would love to have some of the gallardia summer kiss if that would be okay. Thanks, jenny.

o

Hi Jenny,
I put you down for some of the gaillardia.
Alice

o

Alice (aaaccc) - I sent you an email, but thought I would post here too since it looks like there are email problems. Please let me know if you receive my email or not.

Thanks
Sandy

o

Happy New Year Everyone!
Kim-I just sent you email. Looks like I'm also on the difficulty list...I haven't received your email.

Thanks,
Mary
mwkdreamer@aol.com

o

Hi Alice (aaaccc)

If possible can I have some seed of one of your Vitex (either is fine) and your Rudbeckia missouriensis?

Thanks,
Jase

o
RE: UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap (annette_1964)

Hi Annette,

I winter sow all of my Penstemon. I have germination in two species already (virgatus and eatonii). Good luck with yours. Let me know how they do.

Jase

o

Hi Everyone,
Okay I read the rules for the second time because I am all done packing seeds. Drippy I went through everyones want list because there were themes I couldnt satisfy but was able to make their want list. I than labeled all seed packets from their want list and placed them in a baggie addressed to them. We shoulndt do this???????? I am helpless leave it to me to screw things up after all that hard work going thru cazillion seeds to find someones wants. I will send, I do have a list of what I sent for each player. Can I mail these now...... Thank you nutty gabby barb

o

Ok Ladies, I'm busy going through everyone's theme list and wish list as I start to pack up all my seeds. Please look at my trade list.....I've updated it and I'm pretty sure I have everything that is listed. Email me if you see something you'd like to try and I'll send it along for you!!

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Pick some seeds you'd like me to send you!!

o

Hi Kim, Rosepedal brought up a good question. How exactly would you like the list of seeds arranged to help you with sorting? Would you prefer some sort of attempt at arranging them in alphabetical order or would you prefer a list of seeds that were picked out for each player and bagged? That is how I have one list and put a * if it was on the person's want list or if I really wanted someone to have a certain seed.

And I updated a few extras on my want list after looking some new seed varieties up. I now *need* a Guara Whirling Butterflies plant :) LOL

))i(( Jennifer

o

hello
monarch-girl - thanks for the nettle I have a place back by tht garage the nettle can have all to it self, I'm glade the ? like too I have hackberrys for them also.
thanks again
michelle

o

Jennifer & Barb - ANY list is better than none - alpha is good, or listing what you picked for other players is fine. It's just that I've sometimes received very large envelopes with say, 150 or more seed packs, with no list of what was sent, and sometimes the packs aren't labeled with the GW sender's name. Then I have to try to remember which 150 packs belonged to that person so I don't send the same things back.

I appreciate your thinking of making things easier for me - it sounds like you have it figured out just fine - go ahead and mail those seeds, Barb! :)

o

Okay - my envelope is all sealed and labeled and ready to go in the mail tomorrow. I'm hoping my method was okay! I put seeds intended for each person into a bag labeled with their screen name. I also put my screen name on each individual seed packet. I didn't make a list, I'm hoping that's okay. As long as you don't send back my own seeds which have my name on them, I think it should be fine. And even if you do, I'll use them in some other way! No worries here (not with these seeds, at least!)

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 18:27

Wow! You guys are fast! I barely started sorting through, and I don't have that many seeds!

Rhonda

o

Hi Drippy thank you for writing back. I will send Them out tommorow. I think I will put a confirmation number on them. I hope that is ok too. Thanks for hosting this it really has been a fun roundrobin. Fariydancer I sent you a email. I hope you receive it. RBrady not fast just had to go thru lots of seeds to find perfect matches I have been packing since day one. LOL I hope you all enjoy..... It is christmas all over again and didnt have to wait a whole year for it. Yippe... On a personal note had a job interview today. It went well. Wish me luck and a prayer would be awesome....... Goodnight Everybody.....

o

Deb, I would love to try your Verbena Imagination. It is just beautiful in the picture you have.

Thanks,
Deb

o

Barb, work is such an important part of our spiritual well-being, you definitely get a prayer for it to work out for the best from here.

Rhonda, I have barely started looking at the wants lists to match up my seeds yet (but I do have a file & a seed collection envelope for everyone).

o

Deb I would love a the apple blossom hollyhock and purple pygmy agastache they are on my want list and Alice I would love some of your Rudbeckia 'Rustic Dwarf',Rudbeckia hirta 'Cordoba' and
Rudbeckia hirta 'Kelvedon Star' . This is the first chance I had to even check lists and some of you girls are sending already you are quick!!
Patty

o

Drippy,

I'm pretty sure that I did not receive your intro E-mail about this swap, though I know that I was given a hearty welcome on this forum by you.

Could you please re-send? Thanks.

Jodi B.
'ThreeShyAcres'

o

Jase,did you get an email from me requesting some of your penstemon? I know the emails are messed up but there are also 2 Annettes, me and Annette-1964 and 2 moons me as moonphase and moonberry.A little confusing so I will only sign as moonphase.AND if you have any left,can I please have some?
Drippy,have not received your address yet.I will separate everyones seeds and put in snack bags with their name on it.I will include a list of what I sent to who.I also learned from someone to go ahead and label my bubble envelope and put stamps on it for return,and then insert that into a bigger yellow envelope that is not bubble.It seemed to make things alot simplier to me and hope it has helped the ones that hosted some of the swaps I 'm in.
well,better get busy checking out themes and want list.
moonphase

o

Wow--actually, I guess there are THREE Annettes. I am not used to name-sharing!

And, Plantaholics, please let me know if you still have not received my email.

Now I'll go back to checking lists. By the way, I am really sore from cross-country skiing!

o

Deb and Patty.....got your requests and I'll send them along for you.

rosepedal - I don't think I got an email from you. Try again or post here what you'd like me to send you.

Deb

o

Hi Deb,
I would like to try a couple seeds of your coleus giant palisandra and columbine pretty bonnets if it is okay. I loved your pictures. Drippy I am going to wait until tommorow to send. It is -8 right now and that is without wind chill. It is supposed to warm up tommorow. Too cold to go to post office. They said 45 by the weekend. I hope my ws seeds are ok. This is my first year wintersowing. I am not going to worry. I followed all the wonderful advice from my ws mentors. Everyone have a good day...... Barb

o

Jodi, you're on my "all-time best swappers" list - don't want you left out. I will try again, but if you don't get something in your inbox this morning (or check junk mail/spam mail collectors, too), email me directly using the address on my member page.

Barb, those WS seeds will be fine - it may be 45 during the day, but it's probably going to be too cold at night for any activity to stir up those seeds.

o
RE: Addresses again

Annette Moonphase, I responded to your direct email to me - let me know if you still don't get my address.

o

Looks like everyones been real busy over the New Years Holiday getting seeds together. I have mine about 1/2 way done and my goal is to finish this weekend. It's colder than cold here so what else better to do than seeds.

Deb/Fairydancer - If you have any of the Dianthus Spooky/Crimsonia, Dahlburg Daisy, Columbine Biedermeier or Salvia Rose Queen left I wouldn't mind trying any of them.

Thanks
Dottie

o

Hi Drippy,

I got your E-mail this morning!! I had not received it previously, so the deadline was sooner than I had expected. I must amp it up!

I am honored to be on your special list. : )

Have a great day,
Jodi B.
'ThreeShyAcres'

o

Oh no. I sent my envelope out on Monday and didn't put a list of my seeds in the package. But I did put my name on the seed packages. I'm sorry drippy. I hope this doesn't mess you up. I don't know how you ladies keep up with the seeds and who wants what. Wow, you are a lot better at this then me. It's all I can do to separate seeds into separate envelopes and get them in the mail. You guys sure humble me.
Stacy

o

And here they come! Stacy, your seeds arrived today, and please don't worry - they are lovely (I just gave a quick glance, then stuck them back in the envelope until I can go through them more later). The list makes it easier, but it's really not a big deal! The whole point is to have fun - and I'm sure you'll have fun when you get your return seeds!

Starting a list here -

Seeds arrived from:

Stacy2564

o

Drippy, Unflortunately, I have over booked my calendar and I am going to have to drop out for this one, the timing isn't right. Thanks, jenny

o

I mailed my seeds today. Drippy, those that I packaged myself have sandlapper_rose added to the information. Those that I got from swaps and were extras for me or things I didn't think I would grow may have only the original senders name on them. I did include a list of what I included and my interests so I hope that works out okay. Thanks for being a hostess and doing this. It will be lots of work for you, I'm sure.

Jeanne

o

Drippy, I MADE A MISTAKE AND POSTED TO THE WRONG SWAP. I have my seeds ready to go for this one!!!! i HAVE ABOUT 166 OF WANTS READY. I STILL WANT TO BE INCLUDED IN THE THEME GARDEN SWAP!!!! I wish I could cancel that last post. I was cancelling for THE VALENTINES swap. Thanks and sorry for the mix up. Jenny.

o

Is everybody sitting down. The job called me today and I have to meet with human resources tommorow. Yahoo Yipee I can afford dirt now. LOL I am really excited. Having a celebration cocktail just one.... Yummy absoulute and cranberry grape juice.... One happy gardener Barb

o

CONGRATULATIONS, BARB!!! I'd have a cocktail with you, but I need to go vote at the caucuses tonight, so I'd better not! Good for you!!!!

Jenny - glad to see you aren't dropping from this one!!

o

Yay for Barb! "Able to afford dirt"--only we would understand that! Don't mention that to them! :)

Cottageflowers, I tried to email you using your comcast address, to ask about your Wants list. Those emails wouldn't go through. I know I sent some of your Wants to other swaps, I wonder if you haven't updated, or if they didn't get to you because they got reassigned to other people? Please let me know!

o

Great news about the job Barb! I will raise my glass of wine at supper tonight and do a toast to you! You will do just fine when you meet with HR on Friday. I work in HR doing recruiting, and the best part of the job is when I get to call a candidate and invite them in for a second interview to discuss the job, benefits, .. or better yet offer them the job.

So glad to hear how excited you are. Your enthusiasm will take you far!

Sandy

o

• Posted by shimla 5 Upstate, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 08 at 18:01

Way to go, Barb! You must have left a great impression for them to call you back so quickly :). Must be those great communication skills of yours!!! Now it's back to planting seeds on the weekends with the rest of us. Dirt money is good! I went to get another bag last night at Walmart and they had it cleared from the back room. I know I'm going to run out, I hadn't anticipated this swap when I did my fall stock-up. They always have it at Home Depot but it's frozen this time of year ugh!

I should have my stuff out early next week. I'm waiting to see what comes in on a grab-bag swap I joined. Drippy is there a limit to the newbie stuff you want? I have loads of green hosta seed that needs a home.

o

Thanks everyone. Now maybe I wont be so gabby. I only have animals to talk to all day long. They just give me the look. LOL, Shimla I had to take my frozen bag of dirt and put it in the kitchen over a heater vent. It worked thawed right out. Sandy that sounds like a neat job. Especially getting to tell someone they have a job. I will send my seeds tommorrow before I go. Have a good evening everyone gotta go iron my outfit. Barb

o

Hi Kim,
I haven't received your email yet. Could you please try again? Thanks! - Lisa

o

Will do, Lisa, but if you don't get this one, email me directly using the address on my GW page. Also, if you have spam or junk mail boxes, check them - my email may be going there.

o
One Packet Offering

Folks, I received a pack of purple loosestrife (lythrum salicaria, Robert) seeds from a well-meaning trader earlier this fall. This is highly invasive and a danger to the marshes in my area (although a very beautiful plant). If anyone is interested in it, please email me & I will send it along - otherwise, I will have to destroy it. I beg you not to ask for this without doing the research - and I know that what's an invasive in one area isn't necessarily in another, however, this plant is as big a problem in our area as kudzu is in the south.

o

Purple loosestrife is a problem here in Indiana, too, so I hope other Illinois/Indiana folks won't be tempted!

o
RE: UPDATE: Responding to Moonphase/Stage

Moonphase - I did not get your email that I can find, but I will be happy to throw in some of my Pents for you. I had already included P. eatonii (red), but I will throw in a couple of the blues as well.

Stage I did get your last email. I am sorry I haven't responded yet. I will throw some Penstemons in for you as well. Things are a little nutty. I'm having truck troubles. Thought I had it fixed with a clogged fuel line. Now the check engine light is on. Grrr. I hate working on engines.

Anyone else who I've been conversing with who still is waiting for me to answer (Julie!): If I haven't answered you give me a day. I'll catch up. I promise. If you dont hear from me in 24 hours send again please.

Jase

o
RE: UPDATE: Anyone else want Blue Penstemons?

Anyone else want to try a couple of packs of Blue Penstemon? Truthfully most of you have at least one in your bundle already. I sent Penstemon eatonii (Firecracker Beardstongue Red - to Zone 5) to over half the players, if I could find a way to match it to your themes or a few of you had it on your want list. But the offer is still open for anyone who wants blue or wants to be sure they get a pack of the red. I bought the blue ones half an ounce at a time and have lots left of the ones I offered in the last posting still available. (P. angustifolius, glaber alpinus, speciosus, strictus 'Bandera'). Step up - don't be shy. If you like em it can't hurt to give em a try. ;-)

I still have 8 people left to match up and I already have 210 packets of Themed delights ready to go. I think I'm going to need a box. I don't have a bubble mailer big enough. :-)

Gotta get back to packing seeds!!!
Jase

o

I hear you on possibly needing a box- I think I am going to take the 2 bubble mailers in- and "weigh" the difference....
He he he -

o

plantaholics

I'd love some of the blue penstemons and any other penstemons that you have!

thanks!!
barbi

o

I love purple loosestrife but do not have a good environment for it. I used to grow it in a tub when I lived up north and never had any problems but I think most places have it on the invasive species list now.

o

Jase, I've been trying to avoid requesting seeds from people - like I don't have enough already, LOL - but those blue penstemons are gorgeous. If you have extra, and don't mind, I'd like a little of one - the bluest of the blues in your opinion, whichever one fits that best - to try.

I can see I'm going to have to search my stash long and hard to come up with some goodies for you, and for the rest of you cool swappers!

o

There is so much excitement in this swap. I'm hoping a seed order of mine comes in very soon too, so I can share some of them. Also will be digging deep into the seed stash this weekend!!!

Jase - Thanks for the emails, I sent another! Penstemons' are too addicting for me.

Happy seeding everyone!!
Sandy

o

Wow this swap has really grown, I packaged up 80 packs yesterday and DH is taking them to be weighed at the PO he works in today and bringing it back to me so I can add postage. Jason, those penstemons sound beautiful, since my theme is mainly cottage gardening, I'd love some if you still have them. I didn't see any mention of vegetables in any posts, but I did sent in some OP tomatoes of black cherry, and kelloggs breakfast.
Alberta

o

Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 13:28

Jese - by my "match-seed-to-theme" standards, that penstemon would fall into a very pretty shade of blue. Therefore, would fit right into my "shade" theme :). I've been getting very crafty here trying to find homes for my seeds!

o

Jase I would love some of the blue penstemon I just love penstemons maybe I could have had a penstemon garden as a 3rd theme.
Patty

o

Hi Kim,

I need to drop out of this year's swap. My Mom's health/dementia is declining and needs more of my attention. I wish everyone beautiful gardens
and thank you for the great seeds that I've received from many of you from other swaps!

Mary

o

Mary, I have sent you an email - if you didn't get it, please email me at the address on my member page.

Thanks,

Kim

o

hi all
someone was asking about vegies, I will take any extra vegies for the community garden, I started plants for people last year and handed out seeds, everyone was very interested in seed tradeing and I evan got a few people to save seeds from their gardens. some of the familys don't have much money and I started over 50 tomato plants to hand out, plus peppers, eggplant, and others.
so if you don't need them I'll take them.
thanks
michelle
ps I'm still waiting for my seed orders to come in, I hope they make it.

o

Shimla, LOL! On Shade of Blue!!! I was trying to think of that very thing for my themes. Why did I pick such stupid themes? I thought this last year, too, and had them all picke dout for this year, then I go and pick ones.

o

Yep- I saw a few requests for Veg- I am sending a few- both in Veg theme and in the Children's Garden theme....

Lime- sounds like your singin' the blues now!! Hehehe You are sure to have a great selection returned with your great themes!! You picked good ones Lime! Don't fret. We got your back!

I have been having lots of fun going through the seed box! I have to admit- I have been stretching a few themes to make the seeds fit- but that is part of the fun for me!

I know I will be sending in a whole bunch of extras into this swap- and I know I will also be sending in more stamps than it cost me to send these seeds in, but, with so many extras finding their way to new homes, from me and others, it might be a good idea if we all rounded up a bit when it comes to sending return postage- knowing how generous our hostess is- she is sure to use it all and then some!

I am hoping to get my envelope(s- box?) in the mail tomorrow- Thanks Kim for hosting another year of sheer pleasure! I love finding seeds for themes!!

Julie

o
RE: UPDATE: Penstemon want list

Ok, I'm done, I added penstemons for:

strmywthr3
drippy
sandysgardens
albertar
Shimla
pattygrow

and those that requested them on the original posting.

Anyone else? I'll mail them to Kim on Monday. I'll check the list again tomorrow night to see if anyone else wants me to add some.

Truck's fixed - Yeah,
Jase

o

Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 23:10

Thank you, Jase!

Lime, there's still time to add themes for your garden. I'm having a hard time placing all the orange amaranth that came in with our last swap... How about a 'fruit' theme for you?

o

I am almost done. Will probably finish on Sunday & mail on Monday. StageRat, the poke weed is buried under 2' of snow...but the seeds were covered with a baggie. It's warming up (32 now, whhooo who!), so I will see if I can find them tomorrow. You will get them by spring, I promise!
Maggie

o

Hey there Drippy- lookie what I found...

Here is a link that might be useful: Astrilogal Herbs....

o

Yah, Julie, You want to see some links I have found for "head banger" and "heavy metal"? They ain't pretty! LOL!

It is so unfair of you to choose such hard stuff when we only want to shower you with seeds for all the work you have done on our behalf! These have to be mailed out by Thursday the 10th, and I have no idea what I can send you! The only metallic plants I have are Heucheras, and I just WSd them this spring so they didn't bloom this year. I know, I know, I'm whining, but between your list and Drippy's, it's been a tough, tough road for me. (Probably for everybody else, too)

I have one more idea to try, but Thursday is coming up swiftly!

Shimla, Not sure about Fruit, and I don't believe I need any orange Amaranth, LOL!!! but darn! I am so mad at myself for not remembering the Theme's I wanted to pick from last year at this time!

~~~*~*~~~ Ok, rant over! ~~~*~*~~~

Jase, Really, really nice of you to share those great things with all of us! Thank you! (Your check engine light came on because of the clogged fuel line. Next time you fill up, it should turn off if you use a major brand of gasoline. I've had a few problems myself over the years, was told it's especially bad with GM vehicles.) FWIW :)

Lime

o

I feel like an addict with all the late nights on garden web and trades. Had to run to the garden store when some seeds came in, not much selection, and had troubles fitting a persons theme with a seed pkg. Did my best,next time I will do better. Good nite all, I think one more nite and I will be done. Until next months swap! Dh is wondering if I am opening a business with all the late nites and my garden busy work. He just eats it, helps just a little, but does enjoy the fruits of garden. Learning something new every day. I feel like all of you are friends. I can't wait to see my garden in a few years when the whole garden starts to fruit.

o
RE: UPDATE: Looking for Moonphase!

Hi Moon,

I found your email - I did get it on the 31st of Dec. I also answered you on the 31st, so I'm betting you didn't get my response. I'll try to send it again. Let me know if you get it this morning.

Jase

o

Julie - love the site you found!

Maricybele - My family has finally come to terms with my seed and gardening addiction. Now if I'm not digging through seeds, looking at catalogs, searching plants/flowers on the web, WS or indoor sowing or any garden related activity they ask me if I feel okay....

Lime - I'm sure you'll make out just fine with the seeds you get for this years themes. I hear you though on thinking of a theme and not remembering it. Happened to me last year, so this summer when I thought of a theme I wrote it down and tucked the note into one of my garden books.

I'm babysitting my almost 2 year old granddaughter today, so better get some seeding done before she wakes up. She's so much better this year when she comes over - she's more interested in the Koi fish being in the house for the winter that she doesn't bother with my seed dishes as much. Now that I said that, we will probably have a seed mishap!!!

Happy seeding
Sandy

Julie - will check in with you towards the end of the week regarding Saturday's swap to see who wants to carpool, etc.

o

Good morning! Julie, you're a late-nighter I see - I was into dreamland at the time of the Astrological Herbs posting - very cool!

Limequilla, as far as finding stuff for my themes goes, don't sweat - like I need seeds? Besides being a "vet", I'm a regular player on these swaps, and have already received some really cool stuff this year (way more than I should).

Also, be creative - LOL, I get a kick out of all of you that expanded your idea of "Shade Garden" to include Jase's gorgeous penstemons because they were a shade of blue. Where I don't have anything for a person's theme, I check their general wish list and see if I have a thing or two on that. I might take a clue from one of last year's participants and put together a few packs I think make up a particular theme that isn't on anyone's list, but send it to a person I think needs it - I have at least one idea along those lines...

Don't worry...be happy! :)

o

Just want to thank Jase for including those penstemons for me....THANK YOU, :)
Alberta

o

Hi Kim, I have a question if I have a seed on someones want list can I send that or does it have to be related to their theme? I know I would be happy to have something from my want list in addition to my theme. IDEA my 4th theme garden my want list garden.LOL
Patty

o

I think the real attraction for me in a swap like this is discovering new plants that I might not have considered before or even heard of. I am new to gardening in this area, and though I can grow some of my favorites from zone 4-5 many more do not care for this hot weather! Annuals I have known for years are perennial here (verbena as an example) I have discovered so many new plants this year I cannot wait to see them in the spring and summer!

Learning about other people's themes and ideas and gardens is a great way to get to know them better and can really help choosing plants for my own garden,
Frances

o

Frances,
That is wonderful all the new flowers you can grow. I cant imagine planting annuals and all of a sudden they are perrenials. That would be wonderful. It sures seems to me that most gardeners on GW are from zone 7. Lucky people ! It is gonna warm up here. I cant wait to get rid of some snow. Yipee
Drippy I sent my envys out yesterday. Have a great day everyone...... Barb

o

Hey guys, here is another interesting link for The Chocolate Farm - a place that specializes in all things chocolate! They have a garden catalog with lots of chocolate plants for anybody with a chocolate garden theme. They also have seed kits :)

A chocolate/vanilla garden would be really cool for next year's garden theme... already added to dream list :)

))i(( Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Flower Farm

o

Alberta & Lime you are most welcome as is everyone. I have plenty of Penstemon seed. More than I could ever use in a lifetime.

Patty I sure hope it is ok because I had to fall back to want lists for a couple of people as I had little or nothing for their themes. I know I'd be happy with that and I have to agree with Frances. Anything new is fun.

Hey Barb how's the new job?

Moonphase did you get my email this morning? I re-sent it. Maybe it got routed to your junk folder? If you didn't get it let me know.

My truck seems fixed now. You wouldn't believe what the other problem was. Had it serviced this fall and the IDIOTS that tuned it got leaves under the air filter and left them there. I removed the air filter to check it and there is this pile of singed leaves under it blocking access to the air. It's a miracle it didn't catch fire. Some of the leaves had black edges like they had been burned. I cleaned them out and the check engine light went out. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Jase

o

A choclate and vanilla garden sounds great to me, too, monarch girl! Now we will have to see if we can still remember that by next year...

Jeanne

o

Darn you Jennifer. I checked out the Chocolate Farm site and now I really have the chocolate drools.

Sandy

o

Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 15:35

I've been picking off the want lists, too! I figured it would be okay with everyone since it's not a pack for pack swap? I marked them with a T (theme) or W (for want). Even some of the wants aren't exact matches but maybe close enough that someone would enjoy them. As it is, I had to stretch on a couple of themes. I don't have all the latest and greatest selections but love to share all the same. Hope it's okay?

o

A lot of what I'm sending is from Wants lists. I have to say, it's harder to access them, and I end up going back a few times to double-check. I find it so much easier to do a theme search, all of which are posted on the first thread. Maybe for future group wish-list type swaps, someone clever who knows to to make links could turn the list of players into a list of links to each person's trade page! Or, I guess I could just save each person's page on my computer--but what if they change it????

Also, (I thought I posted this last night!) I have a last-minute request: if anyone has Lupinus perennis seeds they could send in, I'd like to get a lot of them. A certain trade I thought I had lined up has fallen through, and I've been excited about growing these and sharing plants and seeds around my town for this, as an endangered butterfly (Karner Blue) in my area lays eggs on these. I know several people have already sent in their seeds, and not many are likely to have this seed. If I have to, I'll just buy it. But, of course, it's better to trade for it! I have several other lupines, but apparently this species is the right one.

Thanks

o

Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 16:27

Stage Rat - I ordered a bulk of them a few years ago and did the same thing! I WS'd them and passed them out at our plant swap in little cups. I must have given them all away because I don't have any in my yard! I was just thinking about them a few days ago, funny you should bring it up. I have the perfect soil for them, too, I have so much sand. It's like living on the beach here without the ocean lol! We have a preserve in my area, about a half an hour away dedicated to the Karner Blue. I always wondered how they'd find their way here, though. That's a long flight for a little butterfly :)

o

ACK! Five mailing days left to send. = :- 0 Guess I should start going through lists again, eh? I just finished going through my seed box-ette to give it some breathing room and optimize my seed offerings, then came here to catch up... that took a while. ;-)

And ACK again!! I would beg you all to not work too hard on stretching to find stuff for *my* theme(s) or wants list. I dearly do *not* want back as many seeds as I send in - I don't have the yard for it, and certainly not the seed box! (We won't go into how few WS jugs I have so far, and that's after I went to the recycle place and started stealth-swiping their water jugs!)

Kim, anything that doesn't find a place in this swap you are certainly welcome to use as you wish, or send to Bakemom or Trudi, or whatever. I will send along enough postage to cover its transport either way. :-)

o

Oh no this is my first year doing this swap I looked at the chocolate pictures now I want a chocolate garden there are some I didn't know were considered that I already have and some I never saw before I thought my want list was long with all these links all of you are getting me in trouble. I love it!
I'm glad we can check lists.
Patty

o

Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 18:48

I just looked at the link! I guess we are going to all be doing chocolate gardens soon! The Ed Murray daylily reminded me of a daylily I have in my yard. It came to me in a plant trade unnamed. It's not a chocolate, it's a maroon shade. It blooms later than my other daylilies, I want to say in August it started going off. Is anyone interested in any? I have a bag of them so let me know!

roflol - you can breathe a sigh of relief because you are very, very hard for me to pick for!

o

I got mine in the mail today.
Kim, I was so thrilled that I was actually able to squeeze in all 203 packs of seeds into one envelope, that I forgot to include return postage. So I'll be mailing it separately, on Monday. And you'll easily recognize my bubble mailer because of the tape, I covered every inch of it with packing tape! Yeah, it's that stuffed!
Alice

o

Shimla: it seems like we have really similar soil. Do you have deer to contend with, as well?

My town is surrounded by habitat for the Karners, so they may fly through here anyway. Maybe adding lupine plants will make them linger!

I'd love a couple of your daylily seeds, that color and being late-blooming sounds great!

o

Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 20:43

Ya! One more seed packet found a home! We used to have deer but they never bothered my garden until they plowed down the woods next door :(. I *think* there is only one that comes around now. She was very confused about where to go and she beheaded all of my hosta and daylily (day before they would bloom) one year! I'm a little concerned about the new arborvitae hedge I put in along the back where she must come from. I read that you can lay down chicken wire/netting and they won't walk over it. I'm going to do that when they get larger (the fence is still up right now) and see how that works. Have you ever tried it? Someone posted the suggestion on the WS forum. Apparently they don't like the feel of it on their footsies and can't see there way around it. I feel bad that she can't come over for a snack. I think she used to cut through the woods and eat from my apple tree up front. I saw her just once in my yard but she went running before I could snap a good picture. I put an apple tree way at the bottom corner of my property which she's welcome to.

o

Oooh Shimla, I would love to try that daylily also. I like the fact that it blooms later. That would be nice!
Thank you,
Maggie

o

shimla,I'm waving my hand high for a dark daylily,would be perfect for my red bed.I started collecting daylilies this past yr.I have some seed to ws from a woman that hybrids hers and can't wait to see what they turn out to be.I still gasp at some of the prices so it will not be a die for collection..lol
jase,finally got an email from you.Thank You for the penstemon.I love that plant.
drippy,have not gotten an email from you.I checked my junk mail and it is not there,soo,maybe someone can send me your address to Ladydesireus@yahoo.com.I just updated on yahoo and hope that will straighten my mail out.I have been in bed with the flu but have been packing seeds up.I will have to get it in gear now and get them bagged up.
micrey,I have some vege seeds I will send for the community garden.
moonphase

o

Stage_rat did you get my emails this morning?

PLMK
Jase

o

Jase:
Hi, yes I did, thank you! I will write a response right now. I've been goofing off too much!

Shimla:
I'm not too sure about the chickenwire, I have that in a spot where I need to build a gate. I still see deerprints in the snow...

o

Omg, what a mind bender..... I am done package is ready to go. I really had to stretch on this one. Yippee.

o

Hello, fellow gardeners - it is so neat for me to watch the conversations you all are having on this post - too cool! One of the side effects of a good round robin is the camaraderie - but it really depends on who's involved as well as the timing in their lives - guess it must be a good time for all (or most - I'm still hoping to hear from Moonberry Mary that she might accept seeds that are sent in to her from this swap - caring for aging parents is rough) of you.

I have begun the process of going through my ridiculous (porky) seed stash to match up seeds for your themes/want lists. I think I can manage a little something for pretty much everyone - this looks like it's going to be a way cool swap.

o

I am still trying to add some things from everyone's want lists.

I found some Triple Yellow Datura, Caesalpina pulcherrima, and Caesalpina gillesii, that I got from generous traders, if anyone is interested.

I also have 5 small trades (3 seeds each) of Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers. I don't know how to post a picture here, otherwise I would. E-mail me if you would like to see it. The seeds from the mother plant I got from a MG collector in Japan. It has been a prolific bloomer for me.

Deb

o

Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 11:51

Wow - I think I'm just about done. I'm waiting on a seed order (hope will be here Monday) then I should be set to go. There was a lot to look through!!! I didn't back track to what everyone has on the 'Haves' list as it was I spent another 2 1/2 hours this morning going through want lists. I have to get myself better organized for these kinds of swaps! It might have helped a bit if I had some things packed first. Not to mention, I had done a couple of group swaps so really didn't know what was in the seed box lol!

Drippy - Question - Are you trying to do a side project for the newbies or are you just trying to save yourself the headache of trying to place everything? I don't want to swamp you with any extra things to contend with if they aren't really wanted! I should be getting a general swap package in and I know there will be stuff the newbies would love. This has really been a fun, fun swap and the packages haven't even gotten mailed yet!!!

Moonphase - I have you down for the daylily. I was having fun crossing DL's for a couple of years until I realized I don't have space for a field of them! There is really something special about creating a flower and being the first one in the world to see it bloom!

Stage rat - sounds like I might be in trouble with my deer! Hopefully she will get full at the apple tree :)

o

Shimla, with the swap, here's how I deal - first, I match as much stuff as I can to everyone's themes/wants. Then I go through what's left and add what I think folks will or might want - this is typically where newbies make out great - I know there are some things the vets will have tons of, so I don't bother trying to foist them on them - and to some extent, this varies from vet to vet. I, too, though, am guilty of not checking the "haves" list because it takes so much time to go through wants - that's why I asked folks to include a list of up to 20 seeds they definitely DON'T want (and I'm talking nice seeds here, not poison ivy, LOL). In the end, I will almost certainly not be able to send 300 different things back to a 300 sender - and those folks (I'm typically one) often say "PLEASE DON'T SEND THAT MANY BACK!!!!" - so I will have a pile left - many duplicates - to send on to either Karen or Trudi for newbies. I let them deal with the actual distribution to newbies; I just don't have time for that, and that's an ongoing project with them.

If you want to send in things you'd like to go on to newbies, I'm not averse to that - I'll just add them in to the newbie boxes (the last one I sent Trudi, and that was just out of my own stash, took a BOX to send). It would be great if you could throw them all in one baggie or envelope marked for newbies; that way, I'd know I don't have to try to fit them to people in the swap. (Of course, I might look through them first to see if I think anyone needs anything anyway. :))

o

Shimla, If you haven't finished up, I'll try the daylily. I haven't had much luck winter sowing dayliles, but I got a bunch of nice ones from my last swap and I'm giving them one last try this year.

Momcat, I'd love to try the Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers! Good for my vertical or moon garden!!

Deb

o

Momcat, I would love to try Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers. I will send e-mail and see what you might like in exchange for it. I assume this is not through the Theme Garden Swap so we can work it out on our own. Thanks!

Jeanne

o

Momcat I would jump up and down for the white morning glory. I have the red feather one. I it sent to someone in the swap but cant remeber who I sent my envys already mailed. It was on their want list. It is so foggy here today but I got to go out to the gh and put my water barrel in there today. I start the job next monday. It went good with the human resource lady. She was very nice. All the people I have met there have been nice. I have a bedroom to paint and a laminate floor to put down before I start. So it is nice starting next monday. Hope all of your weekends are going well. Drippy you have to be a really organized person to handle of the seeds. WOW I think I would be dreaming of seeds Lol. Has anyone seen the new variegated hibiscus awesome they said it does not set seed. Bummer Barb

o

I was offering the white Hige as part of this swap. I have a limited number of seeds that I am using for trades and swaps and thought I would offer 5 here. I wish I had enough to offer to everyone. Rosepedal, sandlapper rose and rosepedal, I have packs in your envelopes for the swap.

Deb

o

WOW, I had some catching up to do, Been off line for a couple days, working too much!!! I have my package ready to go in the mail monday morning. I hope all the seeds find really good homes. Thank you everyone for the kindness.
Love yall!!!! Kelly

o

hello
I got one of my seeds orders sat and divied up some of the packs, I'm still gonna wait till the last muinet to see if the other one comes in on time. looks like I'm gonna end up with around 150 packs.
moonphase - thanks for the vegies, we have a small Comm. garden, about 18 plots some people have only 1/2 plot. I maniged to overfill my full plot last year, so we boxup all extra vegies and take them to the salvation army shrlter. it feels good to give them some fresh vegies instead of just canned stuff.
thanks again
michelle

o

Sorry, I guess I was typing faster than my brain was working. I meant to add fairydancer to the list for the feathered MG.

Deb

o

Hi Momcat,
I would be interested in a few Triple Yellow Datura seeds. As long as I leave some room in the backyard for the dogs, I think it will be ok LOL

o

Hey there Momcat-
Does that mean you have a pack left of the Ipomoea purpurea Hige White Feathers ? I would like to try the feathered MG- if there is enough...

Thanks-
Julie

o

Momcat (love your name!) I would like to try some of your triple Datura. I looked it up and it is beautiful!
Rosepedal, congrats on the job! Now you can buy more seeds to trade with us! :)
I have been using the "search members lists" to match up stuff too. As I'm going through my stash, if I have an overabundance of something, I key that in, and then match it to people on this swap! I just found this little feature last week. I wish I knew about it sooner!
Maggie

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Members Lists

o

OK, I've got julie_mn down for the white feathered MG, and monarch_girl and etravia down for the triple yellow Datura. I think that is all the datura seeds now.

Deb

o

Lol I need to update my trade list.....It as not been done in a long time.... I havent been doing too much trading... I have another list in excel. I love that database. I use it for everything. Momcat it was violet feathers oops. If you would like 5 of them. Email me your address and I will send them to you. You dont need to send postage.... Barb

o

Thanks momcat!

Deb

o

Thanks for the offer Barb, I already have the purple feathers, though.

Deb

o

Deb if you have anymore of the white feather morning glory I would love some!
Patty

o

Hoo, boy. It took several hours but The Deed is done... at least the choosing part. I should have them packed up and on their way by Wednesday.

shimla, lol. Um, are there some toadflax Flamenco for me (I hope..I hope)? That's some serious color! Thanks in advance, either way. Now I know it exists! :-)

plantaholics, I'm snagging your idea of the half #10s to hold members' seeds; I'm out of ziplocks, but envelopes I got... might even raid the recycle bin and see if there are some there I can use. Thanks for the idea!

rosepedal, congrats on the job! I understand the need to talk to real people. When my youngest starts school, I plan to (try to) get a face-to-face job myself. Work-at-home has its benefits, but socialization is *not* one of them! When I "escape" I tend to make up for it big time (TMI Syndrome), and I worry sometimes what impression I make. lol.

Terri
rofLoL
;-)

o

OMG, My job sometimes gives me more face to face with people than I can handle !! I am a poker dealer at Caesars, Im telling you, sometimes I see more of some peoples real personality than I care too!! I love people, and usually love my job, meet all kinds of people from everywhere. Sorry I just had a rough night. got off early though.

o

OMG! Kelbo, You have my dream job! What fun to get paid for playing poker! ROTFLO, You are a delight, no matter what the forum, I always enjoy your posts!

We were talking about Datura, and I grew Belle Blache last year (Julie_MN's seed). I liked it, but are you supposed to trim it or something? It gets big! It's fun to have on the patio because the white flowers glow, and you can sit and watch them open while enjoying cocktails.

That said, I have these ready to go if anybody wants them (one pack each, all from trades). I think they are all supposed to be scented, not sure. I'm sticking with the Belle next year.:

Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'
Datura alba
Datura Le Fleur Blue scented
Datura metel 'Belle Blanche'
Datura Triple Yellow

Either email me by pasting my email addy (on my member page) or post here, sounds like that is okay with Drippy. These are "free of charge" and won't be counted in your seed totals if you're worried about that.

Lime

o

hello
limequlla - I would like one of your daturas, eather the blue or black current. if your out thanks for offering anyway.
michelle

o

HI Limequilla I would like to try the datura triple yellow if you have a little bit. Everyone here is so awesome. I cannot wait to see the gardens this year. I got the base coat done now for the fun stuff color yipee. I hate painting. Our cabin where we are living is mostly paneling yuk. I almost have painted over all of it. Yipee. Some day we are planning on building a house. I just know as soon as I get the cabin to where it is livable we will tear it down LOL Have a great day everyone. Back to chores Barb

o

I got an email, so the Datura 'Black Currant Swirl' is now gone.

Only white left.

However, I am having a Blue Light Special on Malvas -- today only. LOL! There is nothing wrong with this plant except it shows up in swaps a lot because the seeds are very easy to harvest (because you don't have to catch them on a certain day like some others), and they are also easy to clean. It blooms in sun, or part shade, and is a lovely cottage garden plant. There is only one Cottage Theme, and that person probably already has this, but please, if not, speak up!!! All from trades, all one pack available.

Malva 'Zebrina'
Malva Moschata (Muskmallow)
Malva Moschata Pink (Muskmallow)
Malva Moschata Pink (Muskmallow)
Malva Purple 18"

Lime

o

Hi, all - mailman brought quite a few from you today.

Seeds are now here from:

Stacy2564
Rosepedal Barb (2 envelopes)
Sandlapper Rose
Beckilove
AlbertaR

o

hello kim
my envie is on the way
DC# 0306 3030 0001 8904 1750
please let me know if I did not send enough postage.
thanks
michelle

o

Break time.... I can relax now I know they made it shooo. Momcat I saw your posted pictures of the white feathered mg over on the other garden site. WOW they are beutiful and you take great pictures! I cannot wait to plant and watch the flowers grow. I was thinking they might be pretty growing along a climbing red rose. OHHHH now I have to put that on my list to buy this spring... Thank you for the seeds. Well I hope my visitors will be able to sleep in the bedroom. Never paint in the wintertime... I must miss the sun. The room turned out sunshine yellow and it is bright. LOL (GRIN) LOL (GRIN) PS. Drippy I hope I sent enough postage also if not please let me know. Thank you Barb

o

Etravia, I like your method for seeing who in our swap has a seed on their Wants list! That's perfect, since sometimes I come across seeds in my stash that I'd forgotten about, I know someone had them on their Wants list, but I don't remember who.

And the business envelopes cut in half for grouping people's seed packets: I was all proud of myself because I came up with that idea recently, after doing several swaps where I was trying to staple slithery little ziplock bags together. Jase got that idea on his first group swap! I guess I'll just be proud that I came up with it at SOME point, and try to ignore that DTP, "delayed thought process," struck me again.

I often use envelopes to collect seed, so I always open my mail by cutting a short end of the envelope. If I know it's junk mail, I just cut it all in half, so I have more half-envelopes to use! They're not great for tiny seeds, though--the flap never seals completely in the corner.

I have been working on a spreadsheet technique for these group swaps, so if anyone wants to know what I did, or has their own method, let me know. I don't know Excel very well at all--I have to google instructions for everything I want to do!

Lastly: my mom collected the seed heads from her Montauk Daisy (Nippon daisy) and handed them to me yesterday. I'm not completely sure that the seeds are good (this is the first year she grew it) but I know the heads were nice and brown before she harvested them. If anyone wants potential Montauk daisy seeds, let me know! They're "freebies" since I'm not sure what good seed vs bad looks like on these. This is a white daisy that blooms in autumn, and has neat leathery leaves. Etravia, I saw it on your list, so I'll send it for you.

o

I'm glad my seeds got to you okay, Drippy. You are doing a great job of keeping things organized! I know that we all appreciate you doing this swap.
My Burpee catalog arrived today and there I was looking for "vanilla" and "chocolate" - maybe I can harvest some appropriate seeds for next year - or later this year!
Have a good week, everyone!

Jeanne

o

Hey there Lime-
I am so glad to hear you liked Belle Blanch- she is my Fav white Dat- I just love the almost frosted blue green of the foliage- and the frosty pink to the stalks and stems, when you can see them. Mine got absolutely HUGE this year...
Datura Belle Blanche

That is 2 plants, taken earlier in the season- Each of those bricks around the edge of the bed is 6".... As the season progressed- I had to cut them back a couple of times! Each time filling a wheel barrow at least half full....

The triple yellow dat in the upper right hand corner was big- but was dwarfed by ol' Blanche! The Black Pearl peppers are the black foliage in the front- and the pink flowers belong to a bronzed leaf Bishops Children Dahlia- all of these seeds are in the 2 big envelopes headed to Drippy...

This is an early evening pic caught just at magic time.... You can literally watch them open at twilight...
Datura Belle Blanche

o

OK, Pattygrow, you got the last of the White Feathered MG.
Now to get everything marked and packed up. I have baggies,and piles of seeds everywhere!!

Deb

o

Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 20:22

Okay, my seed order came so I'm all packed and ready to go tomorrow! Whooosh! Everyone, (you too ROF!) got a little pack of poppies and the toad flax. And by little, I mean little - the tiny seeds look skimpy but there's enough to fill a pot! Thanks guys!!! I hope everyone finds something they can use from what I've sent.

Everyone that requested the daylilies have them in their baggies. I tossed in a couple of extra in the loose seeds package just in case someone wants one after I mail them. Not much in the loose seeds bag, Drippy! I went through and tried to match as much up as possible. My bubblers full now, so that's all that's going in. It's not a big mess like last year, though, I tried to redeem myself (no shrink wrap this year) :)!

Fairydancer - I noticed the dl's take a long time to germinate when I WS them. Just after you can't stand to look at another pot in your yard, wait another week and then they start sprouting. Give them another try, if you don't get sprouts then take a drive over for some fans :) I have lots of different colors. I put a mixed packet in your baggie too.

Almost time for a new thread already - WOW!

My packs leavin', on a jet plane...
Can't wait for it to come back again...

o

Hi Everybody,
It's Jan.7th already and I'm still reeling from the Holidays!...LOL... Gee, how time flies! It's been a week since I posted and it looks like I have missed out on some fantastic seed offers and very interesting conversation!
I've almost gotten my seeds ready to send though. Whew!I don't know how you guys do it! I have sorted and resorted, packed and repacked until I think my brain will explode!(I hope that isn't to gross of an expression, that's just how I feel...LOL) but I love it! And I don't have that many seeds either...LOL.This is a great swap! Many thanks to you, Drippy, you're a brave woman!LOL...Have a great evening everyone!...Marylee
p.s. Love the pictures!

o

Ohhh, thanks Stage Rat! Mine will go out tomorrow! I was hoping for today, but I took them to work & weight them & I was 1 OZ over the difference between $2 something or $4 somthing...so I am repacking to make it lighter!
Thanks everyone!
Maggie

o

Oh, Julie! your place is so, so, POLISHED! If I showed you my plants you would die! If there were 10 seeds in that pack, by golly, I planted 10 seeds, and if I had 10 seedlings, then that's what I planted. I sort of had the Himalayan Version of Belle Blanche. LOL! Hmmm, that fits in with your Oriental swap, doesn't it? The Himilayas? I think I have a few thousand seeds I can send in your envie. LOL! I sound like Sandlapper Rose. Still thinking of themes!

Jules, I have to tell you, your heavy metal theme was just plain evil! So evil, that I felt the need to get even with you. You're getting 200 packs of yellow-GOLD (it is metal and it's heavy!) flowers, all in daisy shapes! Single marigolds, Zinnias, Melampodium, Primrose Gem, single yellow dahlias, and every Rudbeckia known to man, to get even with you for such an evil theme. ROTFL!!!!

Next year my Theme is the dear old President Millard Fillmore Memorial Garden and the Spaghetti and Meatballs garden!

Kisses to all :)) You'll see my seeds soon, Drippy!

Lime

P.S. Can I just throw all this stupid Malva away? Nobody wants it, and I'm sick of seeing it cluttering up my pristine seedbox! snort on the pristine, but can I throw it away? The newbies are getting better stuff apparently.

o

lol, Lime! You can't throw away seeds! I think it's against the law... somewhere.

Oh... nooooooo!! I have that song from The Meaning of Life screaming through my head now (but paraphrasing, thank you very much!) - "Every seed is sacred, every seed is good.... every seed is needed, in your neighborhood!" I say, send 'em in with enough postage to pass them on to Bakemom and/or Trudi. Everybody has to have at least one malva, and if we all throw ours away what will the newbies start with? (Um, I already have mine, lol.) At least let the Seed Queens decide if they are needed or not. Just my 2 cents worth. ;-)

o

Yeah, whatever you like, Lime, but you can send them with your stuff if you want - I'm sure I'll be sending stuff to the Newbie Fairy Godmothers, so I'll just include it if you like. There will always be newer newbies.

o

Ok there Lime,,, I will be planting a Spaghetti Squash (for seeds)and will be looking for some Dread Locks amaranth for Meat balls, to be sending you....

And with a name like Fill-More... Well, it's all in the name... Your sure to be getting MUCH more to fill your beds!

That just happens to be a new bed started last year- believe me, they are not all so pretty..... and I tried something new- I have never used a purchased mulch before- I have used compost, leaves and grass, and always seem to add more weeds to the beds than moisture retentiveness- but wow! That is the ticket! From now on- every bed will be getting a thick coat of shredded cypress wood mulch! Very few weeds made it through- the water stayed right in the root zone instead of draining away in my sandy loam- so my notorious non watering self could stay "on top" of a need for water schedule.

That is a very nice feature Drippy is adding to this swap- she will be sending the excess on the the newbie projects after we are full of seeds! No worries about tossing them- you will be tossing them in the right direction! To those yet to know about this wonderful GW world of seeds and the great folks who share them!

I know I sent a ton of seeds in- and I sent in as much postage as they cost to send, but I am going to be sending on a bit more to cover the excess flow being sent on again. I think I will send chocolate and coffee too- Drippy may need it with all these wonderful seeds heading her way!

Thanks Terri for the new mantra.... I think....

Julie

o
RE: Players who had to drop out

Hi, folks - in addition to Frances (fcoffill), who had the seed disaster, I heard from Mary (moonberry), who is in the bittersweet position of taking care of an elderly Mom - if you have not already sent seeds (I haven't really looked at those that have come in) and you want to send a little special seed for them, I will be sending it on to them as well.

As we're reaching the limit on this thread, I'm going to start a new update right after this.

o

I would love to know more about the DAT, Belle Blanche. I am not familiar with this plant. What conditions does it require?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here