Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

Posting for Melissa,(hazelnutbunny) she called to say they have no power. The ice storm that come through downed power lines in their yard.She says they have hugh 100 year old trees down all over their yard and one fell on their truck. She said it is devasting how extensive the damage is and it is going to be a min. of 2 weeks before she will have power restored, and that they have not even been able to go outside at the moment to access the damage to the house and the yard as of yet, they have had to stay inside because it was so bad outside.

She called from her cell phone and she told me she was worried about it too because she has no way to plug it in a the moment, she hopes to be able to get out so maybe she can find a place to recharge it. Their neighbor place is just as bad and she said her mom had a tree through their livingroom.

She said she heard the grocery stores are out of food at the moment because so many are without power and doesn't know how bad the destruction is in town nor does she know how bad the route into town is but they are going to have to try to make a trip into town for some needed items.

So please keep her, her family, her town and all others who are in the path of this storm in mind. Pray for their safety and well being until all is righted again. I hope she finds a place to charge her phone, she needs it now more then ever. We only talked long enough for her to ask me to post this for her and to tell me about the desrtuction, it was a really fast conversation because we didn't want to run the phone down.

Melissa, I am sorry you have having to go through all of this. I do hope it all gets better soon for you, your family, your mom, neighbors and I hope the town is not bad.

Hang in there and let us know your all ok when you can. (((HUGS YOUR WAY))))

Fran

Comments (25)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Oh Melissa!!!!! Honey, I'm so sorry! I'm keeping you in my prayers. Bundle up and hopefully you'll be able to get into town and things will be better there. *HUGS*

Kat

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I will most definitely be keeping Melissa and her family,and community in my thoughts and prayers. (((((HUGS)))))

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! We'll be keeping you and your family as well as your community in our prayers. That's just aweful!!

You probably won't see this until you have power again, but keep warm and stay safe!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Melissa, stay warm and stay safe! I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Thank you Fran for letting us all know about this.I am a firm believer is positive thoughts going out,and will send them all their way.
    Was it a tornato?
    How very scarry,thank God no one was hurt.
    Carol

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Carol,
    It was the Ice Storm that come through there.

Fran

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Fran,

If you have a way to contact Bunny, have her tell the power company she has a newborn. That takes priority. Medical issues, seniors and infants. It does make a difference.

Been there, done that and have to say, don't want to do it again...

Bunny, we are praying for ya.

Mark

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Yep I was just going to write that Mark! That would definitely take priority in gettin power restored or they should at least provide a generator for them...

Melissa honey we're keeping you and the family in our thoughts & prayers, hope you're staying warm and safe!

Love n Hugs,
    Wendy

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I will be praying for Melissa and all of her family. I know it is hard! Wish I lived closer so I could bring them all here - although my looks like a storm went through it right now:) Saying prayers till I hear from you Melissa! Nik

• dorisl
    15 years ago

((((((hnBunny)))))))

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

I will keep her in my prayers,

Kamil

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Sending lots of love, prayers and big hugs for you Bunny, I love you
    hugs carol

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Sending lots of love and prayers. Though I am new here and don't know her my heart goes out to her. My family lost power for a few days this past September in Indiana due to a hurricane that made it inland. That was horrible but it was warm and I did not have a newborn. I am an avid couponer and want to say that if it is needed, Iwould love to sendher family a box of things to help. If that would be accepted or welcomed, please email me. My heart goes out to her.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As bad as the storm was it is going to be a while before ANYONE in that area has power. We saw some of the destruction on the news tonight and they said it would be WEEKS before power was restored.
    It really is bad and I wish I could invite them here too, too far away for that though. I wish there was some where they could go with the baby and small kids, it is hard to be without power with little ones in the home.
    I am not sure if they ever got their fireplace working either, anyone else know this for sure? It really is worrisome to personally know someone in all that mess.

Fran

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

That is just terrible ! My thougts are with Melissa and her family, and everyone affected by this.

Amy

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Being without power that long stinks. I used to run a summer camp program that was open year round for programming. In 2001, we had an ice storm that hit 3/4 of our state (remember that one Fran and Linda?)

We lost power for 18 days. I had a generator and was able to keep our food. I wound up storing food for over 25 neighbors. We have 15 gallon cast iron pots and kept them going to cook food that was going to spoil. We had "brunswick" or "mulligan" stew and fed people for those 18 days.

Several of our neighbors are seniors and some with health issues. The MAIN lines to us were destroyed. The power company kept our generators filled and we moved the seniors and those with health issues to our camp for two weeks.

We had a baby in the house at that time. I really feel for Bunny right now.... This has really brought back some memories right now....

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Do you know the name of the town where she lives?

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Melissa Bunny,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband and all your little bunnies. Be well and be safe!

Annie

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I have her address. Not sure what she needs at the moment. I was shocked when she called to hear how bad it was and I wasn't thinking about asking her if she could use anything and she called from the cell phone and was afraid it would run out of juice soon and like I said earlier with the baby and other small children in the home she needs to be able to keep it charged somehow so we cut the conversation very short to the direct this is what is going on right now message, do you mind letting folks know thing to keep it a short as could be so as to NOT run the phone down.

I will try calling her back later on in the AM to see if she needs anything at all. I hope I can get through. It is tough being so far away from people we know when things like this happen.

Yes, Mark I do remember that storm you mentioned. It was a lot worse for ya'll then it was in our area.

:) Fran

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm absolutely praying... my heart goes out to everyone there, even those I don't know... I pray they get help (heat, food, etc.) soon.

Blessings,
    Angela

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

In our thoughts...

Andrea

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Fran, have you gotten in touch with Melissa again yet? I have a couple thoughts on things to help... and I wish that I could bring her and the kids here... I'm only 4 hours from her, but our house is already crowded. I'm not sure where I would put 6 more people in this small 3 bed/1 bath.

Cliff and I came up with some ideas though, especially regarding her cell phone to keep it charged enough for emergency calls, at least, but I need to get in touch with her and know if she can get to the PO... and we'd like to know what else we can help her with to help them through this.

So if you get in touch with her, please let me know, even if it's via private email. If not, I may chance calling her briefly.

Kathy

• galium
    15 years ago

Melissa-Warm thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No Kathy, I haven't I called and left her a message and I know she would have called me back if she could. I thought about mailing her a letter but I am not sure if their mail is getting out either.

Fran

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I pray that you guys are warm, and safe, especially the littlest bunny!

Back in '94 when I lived in Memphis, we had a major ice storm, and were without power for several days. Thankfully we had a wood burning fireplace, and the hot water heater was gas, but taking a shower in a house that is 40 degrees, ain't much fun.

Mark's right that you guys will remember the ice storm of '09 for many years to come!

Bonnie