Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

NEW: ~Gardener of the Month~ Swap!

Debra Andruska
9 years ago

Gardener of the month swap- is basically the "Queen" of the month swap just more appropriately themed for garden web. ;)
We need 6 people to make this work. And then after 6 months of our swap going well- I'll post a new thread extending it (and looking for more to join in)
this swap is going to be so much fun!

What to include in the package- make it as special as possible! Gardening bags, lightweight tools- pruners, seeds, bulbs, plants, journals (for notes on your 'new' or improved garden/ outdoor space) lol! - yummy fruit/herbal/bakery candles! Homemade soaps, scrubs (or store purchased) lotions, whatever you think a gardening Friend could use after spending a day in the garden, landscape work! Windchimes, cute animal statues/fairies/knomes, etc. Decorative lights, solar, or plug in- they have so many neat gardening items you can add to your box! Winter sowing supplies, plant markers- permanent markers, seed envelopes, seed storage boxes, etc! Bird feeders, suet.. The list is endless! :)

Who's in? Post here with suggestions, questions.. and signups!

ALL boxes must be sent with delivery confirmation numbers, it's up to you how you want to send it- UPS or USPS, first class, etc. The only requirement is that a confirmation number is posted so we can track the package! This also protects you- it proves you mailed it out.

Let's see how fast we can fill up this swap! I'm in.. so we need 5 more!

Deb

Comments (42)

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Good Morning,
    I would like to join :)
    Thanks,
    Nicole

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

I'm in Debby!

I think the last time we did one of these it was a medium flat rate box, is this what we will be doing this time?

This post was edited by ishareflowers on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 21:11

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Hi!
    I would like to join. I've only been on GW for about 6 months but have done tons of trades and 2 round robins. I wouldn't mind being last if that's an option.
    Thanks,
    Terri

• mcc371
    9 years ago

Sounds like fun! Count me in.

Tammy

• Christine00
    9 years ago

count me in, please:)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, what a nice response! We filled up the swap! :)

We used a medium flatrate box for the last swap. It comes in two sizes (square- smaller) or larger flat).

Please send me all your info- and let me know approximately how many swaps you were in.

Since we are basically "Full" for now- we could start this in February! Would that be enough time to prepare a box? I think it would... we could send all boxes out throughout the month for our special "Gardener." Hopefully, being done by mid-month, third week of the month- latest---- each month to keep things running really smoothly.

So, I'll mix up names- and draw them out of a bag to see what month you get. I'll post it tomorrow. Again, please send me your info. And- for your month when I post the thread, post your likes/dislikes- and what type of gardens, items you like/dislike. So we get a basic idea of what to make, shop for, and add to the box to make it really special! IF you post you hate dragonflies (just an example) and lemon scented candles, then we will know not to add them to your gardening package! If your looking for certain types of seeds, plants, let us know too! The package is all about you- and your month!

I'm sooooo excited about this! Let's make this so much fun!

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Debby, In my neck of the woods things are frozen solid, I wouldn't be able to send a plant to anyone. There are no nurseries open to buy plants and like I said, my gardens are frozen solid.

I wonder if waiting until March might be better for the players who get picked to go first. I MAY be able to get a plant in mArch or April but not before.

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Deb,
    I've emailed you my info. I'm ready to go whenever you all are! :)
    Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so excited about the swap, and was so happy to see it filled up with in a day, I forgot about plants. I was thinking- cold temps would be ok for bulbs-tulips/daffodils, Amarylis, packaged roots/starts of daylilys, seeds, supplies- tools, garden bags, etc. If it's ok with everyone- we should give everyone an equal chance to receive the same fantastic package (including plants!)

Let's start this in April. March is iffy in Chicago, we still get snow occasionally!

As long as it's ok with Everyone- this swap will go from April-Sept.

I'll assign months as soon as all participants info is received. I'm still going to do the 'names in the bag' thing. It's the only fair way I can think of to do it.

So far- I have info for...
    Terri
    Christine

Any more suggestions, comments? Please let me know- this is your swap too! :) I'll coordinate it! Send all info ASAP!

I'm making soap today- and am home all day, cleaning! So, I'll check my email often and update the thread as info comes in.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All info came in for---
    Terri
    Christine
    Lisa
    Nicole

Just need Tammy's address... (did receive an email letting me know your 'favorite' things- need your address and info on swaps you did previously on Garden Web.)

Will check my email later and in the morning for info!

Deb

• mcc371
    9 years ago

I sent you an email.

Thanks for hosting!

Tammy

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All info came in for Everyone! Hurry up warm weather! Hurry up April! :)

I mixed our names in a bag, and had my Daughter pick them out...

Our swap goes as follows- Your month is--------

April- Lisa
    May- Deb
    June- Christine
    July- Terri
    Aug.- Nicole
    Sept.- Tammy

All of us have been in many swaps! We have the perfect start- perfect group! Thanks so much for making this easy! :) I'm happy to host this! I'll post the "Gardener of the month" thread each month, watch to make sure boxes are going out, and make sure it runs smoothly. We can then decide a month before the swaps over if you want to do this again- 6 months, or go with a year long one, letting other members in. But for now, start shopping and thinking of what your going to add to Lisa's box!!

Lisa,
    You can post here some ideas of what your looking for, special wants, 'must' have seeds/plants/bulbs/items, things you collect for your garden, etc. Needed items- colors...

We will all do our best to make our APRIL "Gardener of the month" happy!!

I'll post a new thread for Lisa a few weeks before April to get this started!
    It's too soon... But, for now- we will at least get an idea of what to shop for, look for. ;)

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa and group-

If you want- each of you could post a little bit about yourself to this page. It would give all of us extra time to pick up special items to add to your box. In March/mid I'll post Lisa's month thread/page. And I'll either copy/paste any info I have- and Lisa could add to it too.

But for now- let's post a little bit of info for each other to kind of get to know each person better.

I'll start... I love bird stuff, I feed the birds, so always need suet, holders, birdhouses- related items. I love Marjolein Bastin items. I hope I'm spelling that right, her items are always bird related and look so natural. I also love nature looking outdoor stuff, wreaths, candles. I have a moon garden- and want to start a few little fairy garden pots. I would love a new garden bag, mine is soooo old.

Hmm, favorite colors- cream/white- robin blue, soft greens. Soft shimmering colors too- to add for pops of color.

Seeds looking for- sunflowers, heirloom tomatoes, lettuces- herbs!

Love african violets, houseplants too! I collect cute african violet self watering pots. Windchimes- lights, for my outdoor patio room.

Lisa--- your turn! And Everyone else's too--- to keep our thread going UNTIL I can post Lisa's thread in mid March.

I'm still getting used to the new site. At first- I had trouble logging in. It seems as though it's getting a little easier every time I go on.

We have to follow each other in order to email. Put me on your list- and I'll do the same over the weekend!

Let's keep this fun and simple! And going.... April will be here soon with Lisa's month!

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Hello All,

I'm going to have to think about wants for a bit. I have 6 feet of snow everywhere I look so gardens are not close to my mind. I don't think I'm going to see green ever again.

Deb, is your garden bag the one I sent you years ago?

I'll post again in a day or so with some ideas.

Lisa

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

I'm afraid I'm going to bow out of this swap. I'm just having way too much frustration with this site and keeping contact. I hope you have great success with it!

Terri

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terri,

Sorry to hear that your dropping out of the swap! I know it's difficult/frustrating to learn to use a new forum. I don't understand the 'follow' the person rule yet in order to email each other, that just seems like an unnecessary extra rule. It just makes it more confusing! I have a bunch of people to follow/add yet. I will do it soon... I just need an extra hour or more to do so!

Lisa,

Yes- I'm pretty sure it's your green gardening bag! I've had it for years- it's been my most used swap item EVER!

Ok, so we now need one more person for the swap, for July. If your considering joining, you must be kind of well know around the forum. I really want this swap to go smoothly- so I'll be a little choosy of who we add for July. If we don't get any extra interest then we will just shuffle the group names- and end a month early.

It's so hard to imagine Spring with all the snow- right now.. Maybe we started this a little too early, LOL! Use your imaginations, think of the way the yard will look in April or May! :) Or the way you want it to look by June! What do you want to add to the garden? Plants? Seeds? Bulbs? Mixtures? Stuff to add to the garden? Landscape? Colors? What are you having a hard time finding? :)

Let us know--- so we can search for you too!

Deb

• bluee19
    9 years ago

u don't have to follow some1 to message them as of last week. Also if this forum doesn't work well for this swap, can we just send emails to everyone so we don't have to come to this forum? I was thinking if we have five or six people for this swap, we can send a mass email out? just my thoughts....

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Deb, I bought 12 garden bags for that swap, was yours round or rectangle?

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi , Ive done quite a few successful trades on this site so you could easily check on me. Id like the spot that just opened up. If I'm too new for this trade, please keep me in mind for the next round.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens send me your info... Welcome to our swap. :)

Lisa,

Green and rectangle. :)

It's stilllllll sooooo early LOL! I'll post Lisa's GOTM thread at the end of next week (and that's still early for an APRIL thread. Our swap will officially start the 1st of April (but we will have an extra two weeks to shop for Lisa) we always need to be done shopping/shipping by the 3rd week of the month- so our GOTM person can let us know- with plenty of time-- what was received) and I can then post the new month's GOTM thread!

Will post more soon-

Deb

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi Debbie I am unable to send you a message. I have messages enabled so if you send me a message I can respond. Thanks

• Christine00
    9 years ago

here are my interests.. i feed birds,and hummingbirds. i collect blue glass items like vases and bowls. im in zone 6. i love candles, bath n body scented hand lotions, bulbs, especially if hardy in z6:), winchimes, variegated, dark or otherwise unusual foliage, fairy gardens,chocolate, coffee, garden ornaments,especially frogs and elephants, cute pots for my succulent collection, echeverias. my favorite colors are purple and blue.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens,

I sent you a message through Houzz.... - let me know if it doesn't go through. I have 2 emails you can reach me at- Da1763@aol.com or Debandruska@gmail.com. I'll answer both- at anytime. I check them every day. I wonder why you can't message me?

Lisa,

Thanks for the 'update' on your interests! I don't like homebaked stuff either. I'm really strict with sugar, LOL, and watch everything that I eat! I'm a borderline diabetic, and was always borderline with both of my kids. So, it's supposedly going to come back... at any time. So, I watch really carefully and keep my weight down. We really shouldn't be expecting baked goods anyway, this is a garden item swap!

Don't do houseplants! Whoa-- I love them! LOL! That's really nice to know (important) so we know not to send any.

Any 'themes' with your gardens? Red white and blue? Fairy? Or just open to any type of plants? I know you don't do veggies? Any herb gardens?

Other than that- you sound open to anything garden related? Just checking- trying for more ideas! Love windchimes? Or feed birds? Hummers?

Deb

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

I got your message and I'm trying to get my interest together for you.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Here are some of my interest

I am getting into new things and hoping to get the hang of it. Going to try grain grinding, wine making, and canning corn. Making some herbal vinagers and oils. Putting in a butterflies, hummingbird, herbal garden. Growing food on the patio. Setting up my rose garden. I am attempting to put a flower garden together. Every blue moon I like to bake my own bread.

I make soup, tea, and coffee every day. I enjoy dandelion root coffee. I like different oils for salads and aromatherapy.

I love note cards, planners, scented ball point pens or ink, callgraphy, sealing wax, anything that makes writing romantic.

I could use some garden tools, and decorations. I like whimsical animals that are dressed like people, Peter rabbit, Mr toad, Madame pig, butterflies, dragonflies, etc. I like board games and decorate for every holiday.

I like anything handmade, soap art, earrings, tie dye, pickles etc. I just think hand made items are special.

I like male ferns. I garden organically.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post our new thread tomorrow or wednesday for Lisa. We purchased a new puppy- and he's a handful! Adorable, but a LOT of work! He's a little pomeranian, 2 lbs! I've been taking him out every few hours training him. 6 inches of snow today- so things went to a halt, and I needed to purchase puppy pads! He's too tiny to go outside with all the snow! I just need to post the new thread, go over everything, make a few emails. And I'm ready to go- just need a day or two. The puppy was a surprise! ;) Will finalize things, make sure I have all info- post the thread, and we will be ready for APRIL! We started our swap a little early- maybe too early- LOL!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New April thread for Lisa for our "Gardener of the Month" is going up!!!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, the new thread for Lisa is up.

I need real email addresses for everyone so it's easy to contact you. Send me a direct email at Debandruska@gmail.com with your email address so I have it for the swap. Also, Wild

haired mavens- I need your address too, first/last name.

I have Tammy's email only..

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

April-Lisa

May-Deb

June-Christine

July-Wild Haired Mavens

Aug-Nicole

Sept.-Tammy

• Wild Haired Mavens
    8 years ago

Is the may thread up?

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, the May thread is up!

• cryptid
    8 years ago

Wow! Sure wish I'd signed up for this one! ;)

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

June's coming up and Christine is our GOTM person! :) Christine, give us some ideas- so we can start to pick up some things for your box. I'll copy whatever you write from this thread, and post it on the June thread. I'll probably post the thread a week early. We still are not done with May, 2 more boxes need to arrive.

Do you collect houseplants? Any garden themes? Collect fairies, butterflies, knomes? Let us know. :)

Deb

• Christine00
    8 years ago

hi everyone. i dont do house plants. my garden theme is cottage style. i love rock garden plants, dwarf trees and evergreen shrubs, gazing balls, air plants, gardening books (especially garden design).. i have two kids age 5 & 6, they love being outside. i will be happy with whatever you all send :)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    8 years ago

Hi all. De, I hope your enjoying your month! I have your package ready to go. I just need to get it down to the post office. I will do that tomorrow morning. I apologize for my absence there have been some things going on here that have taken up way too much of my attention. I'll post a delivery confirmation number as soon as I have it

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    8 years ago

Christine,

Do you feed the birds? Do you like chocolate or candy? do you have Sun or shade? do you drink coffedo you wear garden gloves or bare hands?

• Christine00
    8 years ago

my original post with my likes is about 14 posts up. i have mostly sun. yes i feed the birds. no gloves, just bare hands :) yes love coffee:) yes i love chocolate!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just making sure that all your 'likes' are the same. ;) Mine change daily! Lol!

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just kind of getting ready-- FOR AUGUST.. I know it's early, but Nicole.. give us some 'ideas' of what you collect, grow.. are looking for.. :) Do you like houseplants? Not want- anything 'specific'... Getting ready for August too!

• bluee19
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hope YOU ALL had a wonderful Independence Day!!

Here are things I am interested in:

Tomato seeds - orange/white/red/yellow, sizes all kinds such as cherry and dwarfs.

Sunflower seeds - all varieties would like. You can also look at my want list on my profile.

If you have rare seeds/variety of seeds and would like to share. My garden is open to that :)

Would really like bulbs - any flower bulbs such as oriental lilies (I have stargazers already), amaryllis, allium, etc.

plants - I am open to what you can share from your garden. (Please no house plants.)

Wind chimes and solar lights for my garden.

I am a BIRD lady, I feed the birds/hummingbirds - bird house/bird feeder/bird food.

Since I am pre-diabetic, please no sweets. I do not wear beauty products.

Also I love getting giftcards at places that I enjoy shopping at: Kohls, Cheesecake Factory, Baker's Creek Heirloom, Easytogrow.com (they sell bulbs), JcPenney, Walmart, etc etc.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tammy, Please list either here on this original thread some wants/likes- OR go directly to your MONTH/Sept. and list some 'wants' 'likes' 'dislikes'.... I put up your month- right away because I read that Lisa's having trouble getting on the forum, so She mailed your package out already.