Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

UPDATE: Left Over Seed Swap *** #2 ***

Michelle Reynolds
15 years ago

Hello

It is that time of year, we are Winter Sowing, Starting our seeds inside, and deciding what we have the room to plant. but sometimes you only want/need a few of the seeds sent in a packet, but there are not enough for a trade.

well this swap is for those small amounts of Left Over Seeds.

here are the rules

1. Send no more than 2 packets of the same kinds of seeds.

2 At least 10 seeds per packet unless requested from a

player. please be sure the packets are securly reclosed

I don't want the seeds to fall out of the packets and

be lost.

3. Feel free to post what you have to see if someone

specificly wants them(esp if there are less than

10 seeds in the packet), send them marked for that

person. and side trades are fine. no cuttings, bulbs or

plants please.

4. If you send more than 100 packets I cannot guarente you

don't get doubles of something you said you didn't want.

5. Send a return address lable, stamps/money to cover

return postage, GW name and real name, and include if

you want a wish/don't send list I will do my best to

send things you want.

6. Let me know if you want DC# when I return it to you and

send stamps/money to cover it.

Sign-ups till feb 1st, ship date feb 13th. please try to send by then I want to get them all in and back to you before the end of febuary so we can all still do some more winter sowing.

have a great day

michelle

Comments (146)

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I am honored to have met you all and look forward to growing are gardens together. Doesnt GW ROCK! Drippy and julie and Alana got me started along with others. I have been blessed by so many here. It really is a family taking care of one another...It is funny the longer you stay you get really close to one another and look forward to them posting or emailing you...Hugs and love

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

LOL Barb, yes I will check out that forum to find out how to grow them. Thanks a bunch.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

You are welcomed spolied one just kidding ! LOL

• Julie
    15 years ago

Whew- You guys have been BUSY!!
    Rosepedal- if you still have any of these...
    Orange canna 5 seeds (2)
    Gas plant - ( gone, right?)
    Coral canna
    Tricyrtis Hirta Miyazecki ( Gone again?)
    Dwarf sunspot sunflower
    Viola fugi dawn (goner)
    Hatsu arashi jmg (goner-est?)
    Amaranthus coral fountains (yep- Gonersville!)

WHEW- that was a bit o work- I would appreciate a few seeds of any of these- if they are not available- Well, they are going to go on my want page! LOL!!

Kamil, if you still have these-
    Shaman's Blue Corn (3 Seeds, Coated with pink fungicide, to prevent soil born disease, rare) - I think I would like to battle my squirrels for a chance to see what these might grow up to be...

Thanks for offering up these great seeds!

Julie

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Julie the only thing gone is the gas plant...Thank you for getting me started last year! I will put your name on the rest.....Everyone she is one of many that makes this place wonderful....Yahoo I actually have something she wants... :) Glad to help gardeners have fun and not hoard seeds... We have a good group!

• Julie
    15 years ago

Yeah!! Thanks!! I will love trying to grow them on to make more seeds to share!
    I think some may already have been promised though- if there is enough to go around I will be happy to receive some- and if not- no worries, there is always next season!
    Thanks for the kind words- There are so many folks here in GW that help make the world a better place- I have been in awe of this community since I came across it a few years back, and proud to be a member of it! I agree- GW ROCKS!

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

;( I really wanted the Viola fugi dawn..

Julie! The corn is yours! Would you like some brazillian yellow honeydew to?

Kamil

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Sorry I have been MIA. I feel as if I am so far behind, I may not catch up. I will go read the other posts and see if I can put up a list by tomorrow. If not, I will have to drop out. Thanks, Linda

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Linda, there is NO Need to post a list, all you have to do is bag up some seeds, and mail them off to Michelle...the only reason people are posting seeds, is if they have less then 10 seeds in the pack.( or that is how it is supposte to be going...LOL)

I am packing up seeds, and not listing them, as are many others, no need to make a list.

So, dont feel like you have to drop out !! Just mail in what you can !!

Kym ( helping watch the swap till Michelle gets back, along with a few others...)

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Thanks Kym, I feel a lot better now. I did just get my list updated. I still have some more to add, but I will add to it asap.
    I will start packing tomorrow.
    Linda

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Linda, Geez why I am feeling bad now, no need for a list. I figured I had seed and wanted to see who needed them. Thats all...Nothing funny about it. (LOL) Why we have watchers I question???? Kym whats up? Something wrong with what we are doing?

I am sorry if I made you feel this way...We are all just hanging out together. Getting to know each other...If you need anything I am here along with others...Happy days and happy sowing...What is up?? Geez

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

ps we are not suppose to look at lists! That is why I posted my seeds...Now I am confused?????

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

If there are others please come out.....Please tell us what we are doing wrong....Communicating...Geez

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

no one is doing anything wrong, michelle had to go away, and just asked if we would help if anyone had a question, or needed anything...I didnt want Linda to drop out of the swap...we dont need to be posting a list of seeds we are sending in...michelle asked us to post seeds we have 10 or less of, to see if someone would want them...anything we are sending in with a normal amount of seeds NO NEED to post on the thread.

NO reason to be watching anyone, didnt mean for you to take it that way.......Michelle is away and just asked a few of us to check in and make sure no one needed any help, that is all.........didnt mean to make anyone upset.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Rosepedal, we were just suppose to mail any left over seed to Michelle...but it is great that you are posting a list and asking people what they want, it has been a ton of fun to look at the lists..

again, didnt mean anything by my post..just didnt want Linda to feel like she couldnt be in the swap, since she hadnt the time to post a list of her seeds.

I added, that I was asked to check in on the swap, only so no one thought I was over stepping...and it was ONLY incase someone needed help with a ??, like Linda did, not to watch over anyone.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

If I knew it would be so technical I would stay at work.....Just being a friendly gardener..Rules suck especially at a hobby for fun and getting to know one another. I seen you at the brug forum. Come back anytime. We are friendly and wont bite....Hugs

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Dont make me your goat! I wont take it...Be friendly sorry you had a bad day! Dont chase me down.. On the brug forum. That just proves your true colors...Happy sowing...

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

I will be away for a few days as stated. That is why I was doing my seeds tonight. I have to go bury my mother in law...Wishing the best to my new friends and gardeners...wish the best for each other and give a lending ear when someone needs it......Barb

• drippy
    15 years ago

Whew, I am confused watching this post unfold - I am glad, for two reasons, that I sent my stuff to Michelle without posting what I was sending. One, I don't seem to have as much neat stuff as all of you have - I hope you'll be happy with my selections, but most of them are nice varieties of "normal" flowers (most of what I sent isn't on my posted trade list). Secondly, I can't keep track of who's got what and how many!

A little background about "inside trading" - it might have been going on before then, but the first time I noticed it was when I was doing the Theme Garden Swap a few years ago. A couple of people looked at each others' lists and asked me if they could send stuff in with someone else's name on it, and I said sure. From the host's point of view, for the most part, it's no big deal - it's easy to distribute, and the players are usually conscientious enough not to request more than they are sending in themselves. I didn't find any serious iniquities when all the seeds were in. I did enjoy, though, having many undesignated seeds as well - part of the fun of being a host is getting to make those choices for people.

Michelle's done this enough that she will balance things out accordingly - since she has players that don't want as much back as they're sending in, she'll have gobs of seeds to work with. If I could advise you in anything that will help make her job easier, SEND A LIST! I sent her an alpha list of what I sent - that way, she can tell at a glance when she's going to put a choice into my return envelope if it's something I sent in or not.

Don't fret so much - continue to post, and inside trade if you wish, and be happy - trust me, with Michelle at the helm, it will all work out!

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Good Morning Fellow Gardeners!

So these are the packets i am sending out:
    Rosepedal-8 packets
    Chitownladyd-5 Packets
    Micyrey-3 Packets
    Flowers4ever-2 Packets
    Jas_Il-8 Packets
    Julie_MN-1 packet
    Poisondartfrog-1 packet
    ConnieSC-2 packets
    HayMay-1 packet
    PattyGrow5-3 packets
    Markcase1964-2 packets
    DorisL-1 packet
    Yotetrappper-2 packets

These are some seeds that I have:
    Flowers:
    Geum Chiloense
    Lathyrus Odoratus
    Platycodon Grandiflorum
    Yellow Trumpet Vine
    Echinops Ritro (5 Seeds)
    Empress Tree Seeds
    Calendula
    Red Yucca (3 Seeds)

Veggies & Edibles:
    Unknown Yellow Tomato
    Chamomile
    Hyssop
    Rue
    Stalk Celery
    Aladyn F1 Cucumber (Fertilizer Coated)
    Black Radish
    Brazillian Yellow Honeydew Melon
    Esther's Cherry Tomato

Happy Gardening!
    -Kamil

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Okay, so anyone that is recieving North American Pitcher Plant Seeds, these are the germination instructions:

All NA pitcher plant seeds require a period of stratifying - essentially, a cold wet period to signal the plant seed the occurance and passing of our winter. This is nature's way of ensuring that seeds don't germinate too early, only to be killed off with a freezing cold snap.

One of the methods is the use of artificial or a fast track stratification for sarracenia and darlingtonia seeds. North american pitcher plants require lots of rain and water to wash off the chemical film around each seed to allow water to penetrate the seed. Stratifying them in wet moist peat moss or wet sponge helps remove this... but the moment you allow the moisture to disappear, the seeds usually dries out and dies. So what you want is to ensure that seeds remain constantly moist during it's stratification period.

Grab a plastic container and lid, fill it up with icy cold water (ONLY- Rainwater, Reverse Osmosis, or Distilled water- carnivores like pure water, tap water will kill them) drop in one or two drops of dish washing liquid... shake up, and let sit over night.

Drain off water in morning, Rinse with cold water and sow your seeds.

The dish washing detergent washes off the water repellant film, helping seeds absorb water, and thus germinate.

I hope this helps!
    Kamil

PS: You can sow your seeds in a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite (100% Canadian Peat, and DO NOT use Miracle Grow Brand products), I like to sow mine In layers, firt i put some long fibered spaghnum moss on the bottom of the pot to keep in water, then I put in some peat/perlite mix, then for the first 1 inch of soil I put in plain peat, becuase it is easier to so the seeds on the peat, and perlite promotes algae growth on the top of the soil. Remember these plant like boggy condition! So keep them in a tray with one inch of water.

PSS: If you cover the top of the pot with a baggie then it keeps the humidity up, just poke a few holes in the baggie to let in air. Place in full sun, I use growlight that are 4-6 inches above the pot.

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Alot of seeds I am sending to this swap will be packaged last minute, and will never be posted on here at all. Ibartoo, no need to read lists, update lists, or post on here, just send whatever you want to.

As for what you're seeing on here is just people having fun. Its fun to claim a seed thats posted on here, and also fun to give away stuff on here for others. But it's not a requirement of the swap.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Hi, I am so sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I just got confused about how to do this swap. I didn't realize that I didn't need to post a list.
    I will send in lots of seeds, I just may not have anyone's name on any specifically.
    Please accept my apology. I sincerely didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
    Linda

• Julie
    15 years ago

No worries there Linda-
    Most all of the seeds I send in for this swap will be sent for the general mix as well. I do love a surprise, and am glad to see that others do as well!

Julie

• dorisl
    15 years ago

kamil, can you throw some of that celery in for me please?

:)
    D

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I think we all need a nice hot cup of tea...with Bailey's...."pouring tea into cups and passing around"...cookies anyone?

• drippy
    15 years ago

Kamil, I LOVE the animations you've been posting - so clever! :D

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello
    I'm back and wow has this thread taken off, it has taken me over an hour to get cout up
    thanks drippy and flowers4ever for checking the posts for me HUG!!!

sorry tempers seem to have gotten a little high, rosepedal there are very few rules there was just a missunderstanding, I hope you can understand that. flowers4ever was trying to aleviat ibartoos stress, not upset any one, posting lists and requesting things from the lists if fine but not required except for packs of seeds under 10 seeds.

I got drippy's box and another WOW, you naver fail to amaze me.

well I need to go finnish unpacking, and we just got a new kitten today and she was a little upset by our dog and ripped the (you know what) out of my left hand, I guess she had never seen a dog before. OOPS she has stopped hissing so I guess that is a good sign. LOL

I'll checkin tomarrow

michelle
    ps thanks again drippy and flowers4ever for helping

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Lots going on. If anybody has "Blue Pimpernel" or campanula "Cherry Bells" I would love to have some. Thanks Bev

• dorisl
    15 years ago

the timing on this is working out nicely! Everyday I sow a few and throw the leftovers in the jar for the swap. today somebody is getting a couple kewl ornamental alliums and maybe some brocolli! Ill be waiting till close to the last day to mail for sure.

:)
    D

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hey there Bev- will toss Blue Pimpernel your way- and Cherry Bells too- although- I know the seeds are small- and I did try to collect seeds from fully ripened heads all season long- but I am not sure there are seeds there! I am not sure they produce seeds- runners, oh boy do they ever, but I am not sure if what I collected are seeds! There are mixed reports online. Let me know if they grow- K?

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

Hey Julie thats great, Thank you so much. I'm lovin it.

• conniesc
    15 years ago

does anyone have these seeds?
    Barbarea, variegated
    Heliopsis Variegated
    Heliopsis Variegated
    Asarina 'Mystic Rose'
    Cinnamon Vine
    Ornamental Pepper 'Fish'

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hey there Michelle-
    It has been such a long time since we have had a new kitten in the house... They always bring such... "exuberance" where ever they go. It's hard to imagine how so much energy can be housed in such a small package! We seem to keep adopting adult cats in need when the time is right. How is everyone/everything getting along? Hope your hand heals quickly!
    Drippy, thanks for the reminder of how important a list can be! I unpacked my seeds and typed a list as I packed them back up again. I like how the puter's word processing program will alphabetize the list for me when I am done.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody!

Welcome back Michelle....Yotetrapper I had enough to split the viola between you and Julie. Chitownlady I put ech meadowbrite in for you too. I have everyones seeds packaged and labeled. Michelle some I put labels on them and some I just wrote out their names. Using labels was kind a pain...As soon as the adeniums arrive I will package them up and the seeds will be on their way. Happy sowing everyone and it was great talking to you all...Have a good day..Just got home myself yeasterday busy cleaning up after the better half...LOL Barb

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

OK. I can do this one ! Count me in ")
    Michelle, congratulation on your new baby!
    Rosepedal, (((( hugs Rosepedal )))) for your MIL.

lillyjane ")

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello everyone
    I'm glade to see you back rosepedal, sorry for your loss. we lost my mom 3 years ago feb 5th, so I understand.

player list
    1. micyrey ****here****
    2. conniesc
    3. drippy ****receved****
    4. yotetrapper
    5. rosepedal
    6. cic70
    7. pattygrow5
    8. v1rtu0s1ty (?)
    9. markcase1964

1. chitownladyd
    2. ramazz
    3. lindaruzicka
    4. ellenr
    5. flwrs4ever
    6. dorisl
    7. ilovefarac
    8. poisondartfrog
    9. jas-IL
    10. divahethr
    11. diggindirt49 ****receved seeds****
    12. julieMN
    13. evonnestoryteller
    14. jblanton08
    15. ibartoo
    16. sguanzon
    17. irislover_nc
    18. haymay ****receved****
    19. threeshyacres
    20. kamiljablo
    21. patti1957
    22. clay lady
    23. baskettinaa
    24. beverlySC
    25. debby1
    26. andreaz6wv
    27. lillyjane

I went through the wants lists today and several don't have lists ,could the fallowing people give me a basic idea of what you want, just flowers/no flowers, vegies/no vegies, perennials, annuals, a fav color, 1 or 2 fav flowers you want, not a long list.
    clc70
    baskettinaa
    debby1
    ellenr
    patti1957
    v1rtuasity
    just post it here and I will make a note of what you want
    thanks

feel free to go ahead and send as soon as you want, I will sort seeds as they come in, it helps me get the seeds back to you faster.

happy gardening
    michelle

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

my seeds are in the mail...two down, one more to go!

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I mailed my seeds too. :)

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Anyone want 6-7 seeds of red cypress vine?

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Can I have them yotetrapper?

Kamil

• conniesc
    15 years ago

Mine are being mailed today. thanks for hosting. All the postings and reviewing people lists made this a really fun way to share extra's and get to people items they really want.

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Sure kamil. I'll write your name down by 'em.

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I am looking for lots of things, mostly flowers. One exception is that I would like to try growing Wild Leeks (Ramps)this year. If anyone has any bloodroot or Silene Jack Flash that would be great.

I realize people are less likely to have these, but I thought I would mention them on the outside chance someone does!

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

Here is my list short & sweet:
    Ornamental Grasses
    Flowers any kind
    Please no veggies or trees
    jan ")

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Hmm...I got some wild flowers in the mail today and was wondering if anyone would like some Chicory (chicorium intybus)?

LMK
    Kamil

• patti1957
    15 years ago

I am interested in Veggies- any, Flowers- any, Herbs- any.
    Violet
    Poppy
    Pepper- hot & sweet
    Tomato- open pollinated
    Squash - any
    Wild Ginger
    White Sage

Thank you,
    Patti

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I'm working on a butterfly and hummingbird garden and I'm going to plant some herbs..soooo..anything along those lines are welcome...(making it really simple.."L")

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Yippee seeds are in! Michelle I hope to mail out on monday. That is my goal! I will let you know for sure. Everyone have a great sunday....Barb

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello
    I'm having trouble getting to this thread so I'm gonna start a new one
    please don't post on this one anymore
    thanks
    michelle

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions