Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl34_gw

UPDATE: update: obf: january birdie swap :0)

flowergirl34
13 years ago

Hi everyone! The thread was used up and I wanted to post that I received my box from Mary Ellen.

In it was:

~Garden Stakes

~a Garden Marker (SO needed one of these!! My last one just died)

~2 HUGE Lollipops for my kiddo's. They are gonna love these! And thank you so much for thinking of them.

~Sunflower Seeds of all kinds!! Chianti, Lemonade Mix, Italian White, Double Dandy, Mammoth, Junior, Citrus...the only one of these I have ever tried before was Mammoth. I am so excited to give these a try :)

~A lovely chickadee magnet for the fridge

~And for the birds...

a Barkbutter Bird Feeder (I have never used one of these before but it looks so interesting.)

and the butter for the bark feeder...going out to put that up as soon as I post here. Me and my birdie friends woke up to -25 below zero today. We have made it all the way up to -1 (having a heat wave) :)

Thank you so much for my wonderful box!!

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm today!

vina

Comments (34)

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update Vina. I am not going to complain about the cold weather anymore. I can't imagine 25 below zero!

Here's our updated status list:

Jennifer sends to Shirley - received
    Shirley sends to Melinda - received
    Melinda sends to Jennifer - received
    April sends to Faye - received
    Faye sends to Beth - received
    Beth sends to April - received
    Sue N. sends to Sue G. - received
    Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
    Dottie sends to Remy - received
    Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly
    Treasa sends to Mary Ellen - received
    Mary Ellen sends to Vina - received
    Vina sends to Sue N. - received

• mellen
    13 years ago

Vina, glad you enjoyed. It was fun giving. Of course, I would never forget your little ones. The magnet can also be used as a bookmark. :) As far as the bird board, I had to ask what it was and how to use it. Thus, I sent you directions. Hope they made sense.

Sue, nice job with this month's exchange.
    ME

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Thanks Mary Ellen. I really enjoyed hosting. This is a great group. Looking forward to February's swap.

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm out there.

Sue N.

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone.
    I don't want to go into any details, but please remove me from the OBF group. Thank you.
    -Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Dan -
    Sure hope everything is okay with you. It was nice having you join us for a little while. Looking forward to seeing you on other threads with GardenWeb - maybe you need a break from all that right now, but hopefully not for too long.
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Active Members of OBF
    Annnie/canyonwind
    April/dirt_under_my_nails
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carol/veega11
    Dottie/Luckyladyd
    Faye/nottougly
    Frances/fcoffill
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
    Laura/LilangelL181
    Margaret/margaret-2007
    Mary Ellen/mellen
    Maryanne/earthlydelights
    Melinda/ilovefarac
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Remy/remy
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Sue/suegardens2
    Sue/sguanzon
    Theresa/theresa24
    Treasa/uptreasa
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Rose/rosemetier

Dan sorry to hear you want removed from the group but good luck with all your gardening.

Vina-I can't imagine temps that cold. BRRRRRRRRR
    What is your main heat source? Electric, Gas, Wood, Oil? I bet a heat pump would not be sufficient for temps like that.

Looking forward to our Feb. swap.

Shirley

• nottougly
    13 years ago

I received my package from April. I think it was last week.
    Everything for the past week has been a blurr with mom dying. I am sorry I have not had time to post my thank you.
    She sent me a garden song feeder with a bag of bird food. A suet cage and a suet cake. She also sent some seeds. I don't have it with me but she sent some.
    April thank you very much. It made me smile during a time when smiles are hard to find.
    Thanks everyone.
    Faye!

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

Oh Faye I'm so sorry for your loss. we will try to find many more ways to make you smile. stay brave and warm.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Faye, so sorry to read about your loss. Wish you were near enough for a real hug.
    BB

• mellen
    13 years ago

(((Hugs))) Faye, I am so sorry to hear this. Know that you have friends here, too, who are thinking of you and praying for you and your family.
    ME

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Faye, I'm sorry about the loss of your dear mom. I lost mine 31 years yesterday. Your heart will heal, and you will cherish sweet memories. Take care. Treasa

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Faye -

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. I lost my mom in 2008 and I know it is terribly devistating. Time does help heal our hearts like Treasa said, but I know how awfully painful it must be for you at this time. Take care and stay strong.

Sue N.

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Faye, so sorry for your loss. Know that your friends here at GW are thinking of you.

Dan, sorry you need to leave us. I hope all is well with you and we might see you again soon.

I can't believe we are having a raging thunderstorm right now! The thunder is shaking the house! Don't remember many of these in January! Last night we got about 6" of snow, with another 6-10 scheduled for tonight. Crazy weather!

Was just down in the basement checking on my seeds and I have tomatoes and cannas up! I know, I know (!) it's too early! But I couldn't help myself!

Have a good night, all!
    Dottie

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Faye I am saddened to hear the news about your Mother. I pray to God for your comfort and peace of mind. May you find strength in your friends near and far. You have been a real blessing to our group and know that we are here if you need us.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Morning everyone!

Faye if I could hug you right now I would...So, sending HUGE HUGS your way
    (((((((((( :) ))))))))))))))))))

Dottie, they are coming up already? I have been holding out trying to wait...but I think this weekend I may be caving in. All my catalogs are coming in and I am having some kind of dirt withdrawal. :)

Our little neck of the woods made the world news last night. We are NUMBER 1, WE'RE NUMBER 1...and what did we win... so far this winter we have had 153 inches of snow. We are number 1 in the country. And our prize...MORE SNOW :(...I demand a recount!

Happy Thursday!
    vina

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi everyone -

I hope we are all safe and warm with all of these storms lately. Vina, 153 inches of snow, WOW! I am never going to complain about our snowfall amounts here in NE Ohio again. You poor thing, I can't even imagine how much snow that must be!

We are waiting for confirmation of two more packages and then the swap for Janaury will have come to a successful close. Please let me know when you send/receive.

Here's our status list:

Sue G. sends to Dottie - will be sending shortly
    Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Vina! Eeeek! 153" makes our little storms look like nothing! I stuck a yardstick into the undisturbed snow on our upper deck this morning and see that it snowed last night 17". The night before it snowed about 8. I took some photos and thought that we haven't seen this much for about 15 years. I will try to post one at the end.

Yes, Vina, I have three little artichoke plants and several B'wine tomatoes, celeriac and thyme. I also sprouted two of the five canna seeds I bought from Burpee (dwarf variety - so hopefully they don't get too tall for the basement like last year :-) I have the lights on anyway, as I'm holding over some tropicals, so what the heck, starting a heat mat or two isn't much more of an investment.

Okay, will try to post our snow. This is our back yard and the big lump in the middle is a grille! Do you have any photos of yours?

Dottie

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Dottie-That is a beautiful scene for sure. I do like to see it snowing but I want it gone pronto.

Vina-Goodness that is alot of snow.

Faye-Still praying for you and your family. I know you live on the same property as your Mom. I also live where all my family is. When We lost Dad it was very hard passing the house each day and knowing he was not there. Take care and God Bless you.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Friday!

Dottie, that picture is beautiful...it looks so peaceful!

Our crazy snowfall is the total that we have had so far. Thank goodness its not all on the ground right now. It melts a little and then we get more. So we are at about 2 1/2 feet right now and have been holding steady there for a while. I don't think I have seen a blade of grass since the day after Thanksgiving. It would be fine, but the sun hasn't been out for a while, we get this haze where everything looks grey...makes you feel blah!

I wish I could post pics on here, but everytime I try NOTHING happens. My BIL posted the ones on my GW page and he did that about 2 years ago. Even they are in serious need of updating...I think I need to make some chicken cordon bleu and some warm Apple Pie a'la mode...that might bring him over :)

It's getting close to Feb. and I was wondering if anyone minded me posting for that swap this weekend?
    JLMK,
    vina

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Vina -

I think you should go ahead and post the February swap. Sorry, I am new at hosting and probably should have told you earlier. I think we are all excited about February..one month closer to spring...lol!

Have a great day everyone!

Sue N.

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Vina-Yes please post your Feb. swap. YUM chicken cordon bleu and apple pie a'la mode. I'm tempted to come over also.

Faye-I hope each day is getting easier.....HUGS

Awesome temps coming here Sat. and Sun. high 50's..low 60's. I promised a friend I would take her to a Mall and out to eat at Cracker Barrel tomorrow. Believe it or not she has never been to a Mall or a Cracker Barrel. I can't wait to see her reaction.

Shirley

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Dan sorry to see you go but am sure I will see you on mnf and facebook. hope all is well with you hugs carol

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all! Just wanted to let everyone know I posted February :)
    so excited about hosting for the first time :)

vina

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hello All,
    Just want to post that I received my birdie box from Sue.
    It contained a wooden birdhouse, a birdhouse windchime, a wooden bird ornament, a suet feeder and suet, plastic envelopes for seeds, sunflower seeds and purple majesty seeds (i'll have to look that one up), 4 copper plant markers, and a wire feeder. Thanks, Sue! It was a great pick-me-up when I got home the other day, and I appreciate everything.

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update Dottie. Sounds like a great package! I was getting a little worried. Now we only have one more package to be delivered. Hopefully we will hear from Remy or Treasa soon. Have a good weekend everyone.

Here's our updated status list:

Sue G. sends to Dottie - received
    Remy sends to Treasa - will be sending shortly ??????

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Just an update on the humming bird that showed up when I hung up the beautiful wind chime from this Faye in this swap. Faye I think the chime may have saved him from starving/ freezing. So glad you sent that.
    He is still here and seems to be tolerating the weather well.
    For two days I had to bring in the feeder to thaw several times through the day and the nights went down to 6 degrees.
    It is amazing that these fragile looking creatures can survive this weather.
    Hope folks in the midwest and northeast are doing well also.
    Bethb

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Where could it be? I'm still watching for the birdie box. : )

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Wow Beth. I am amazed that you have hummingbirds in such cold weather. Great job on keeping the water thawed for them. The birds are really feeding hard on the suet cakes. I feel so fortunate to play a role in caring for our wildlife. I am sure you all feel the same.

Treasa, I will try to contact Remy to see what's happening with your box.

Good night to everyone.

Sue N.

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

Remy emailed. She's been very busy with her seed shop. I understand completely. At least my box didn't get stranded in a snowstorm somewhere along the way. LOL : ) Anticipation is all part of the fun. Thank you!!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Remy sent me an email too. She is very busy with her seed business, which is a good thing! She said she will get the box mailed to Treasa by Tuesday. I'm glad everything is all right. You never know, with all of the storms we have been having, sometimes it's hard to find packages that get lost by the post office, etc. I am happy that's not the case. Have a great night.

Sue N.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    It is me popping up from the mound of orders I've been working on! Holy Cow when it rains it pours!!
    I did FINALLY get Treasa's box on its way today, yay : )
    DC# 0310 3490 0000 5617 5398
    As I wrote to Treasa, I tried to put things in there I though she would like to make up for the long wait. The early bird gets worm, the late bird gets the big box? LOL. So I hope you do like it Treasa!

I took a quick scan over the messages since I haven't even been over here to look.

Faye,
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know it is hard to go through.

Dan,
    I'm sorry you won't be part of the group anymore.: (

Dottie,
    It is nice to see photos of more snow than I have!

It was so cold here today. I hope everyone is staying warm,
    Remy

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

My box might have been the last box, but it was a BIG box, and the BEST box! It came! : ) It was filled with goodies. Remy, you were very, very generous and kind. I love it! It was like Christmas, or my birthday! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Here's what Remy sent:

a flowered notepad
    gripping gloves (never saw those before-cool!)
    package of coffee
    peach cookbook
    berry seed suet block
    sunflower seed feeder
    big bag of turtles chocolates (hubby helped consume those)
    thistle seed bag feeder
    rooster coaster set
    pansy flowered tissues
    stained glass leaf ornament
    beautiful hummingbird feeder
    whole bunch of pretty votive candles
    green shopping bag
    the nicest looking pepper jelly, worthy of a blue ribbon
    (that jelly has inspired me to try making a batch this summer, it's beautiful!!!)
    and the most darling crafted red bird ornament!!! It's trimmed with beadwork. Thank you so much, Remy. It's wonderful!
    I also received 6 packs of seeds:
    Amaranthus 'Golden Giant'
    Red Broom Corn mix
    Ipomopsis rubra
    Succisa pratensis
    Sunflower 'Lemon Queen'
    Centaurea moscinata 'Imperialis' (Sweet Sultan)

Good things come to those that wait. LOL Wow!! Remy, you're a sweetheart. I truly received a great box, with a lot of thought and care. It was so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thank you, the birds thank you. That red bird is gorgeous!!

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Yay! All the boxes have been received! Treasa, your box sounds just great. Remy really outdid herself! The birds are really gonna be well taken care of!

Everyone, I really enjoyed hosting the For The Birds swap. It was my first hosting experience and it was really a lot of fun. This is a great group!

Sue N.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Treasa,
    So glad you liked the box!!
    Thank you for the compliment on the pepper jelly. I figured out how to make it look good by reading a bunch of recipes. The trick is the waiting before adding the certo at the end. I've got the recipe on my site, but here's a copy so you don't have to search:

Hot Pepper Jelly
    1/4-1/3 of a cup of small diced hot pepper
    3/4 cup of small diced sweet pepper
    (A mix of red and green of the two looks best)
    6 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups vinegar
    1 pkg. of liquid Sure Gel Certo

Combine all but the certo in a pot. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in the certo. Immediately put into hot jelly jars. It makes 5 1/2 pint jars. Process for 10 minutes in boiling water canner.

Sue,
    You did a terrific job : )
    Remy