Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Birthday Seed Extravaganza ' For kids' swap

flwrs4ever
15 years ago

Since the kids wanted to post a wish list, I am putting up a new thread, for you to post "wish lists", and thank you's for when the cards are received.

OK....all kids are encouraged to post a wish list, with the parents help ofcourse, and YES, please post them NOW..and if there is an update right before the bday, you can do an add on if necessary. Posting a wish list NOW, will help the kids be able to "shop" or harvest seeds for their garden buddies.

Comments (49)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Hi Kids! I am posting this list on behalf of Ezra, who isn't old enough to use the computer yet.

Beans - Yellow green beans, Red Noodle beans
    Broccoli - Romanesco (the pointy looking ones)
    Carrots - Orange ones : )
    Cucumbers - White ones
    Cantelopes or Watermelons that are small enough to grow on a trellis
    Peppers - miniature bells in any color
    Pumpkins - miniature ones like Baby Boo or Jack Be Little

Marigolds - red ones
    Sunflower - Teddy Bear

He had a lot of fun looking through catalogs and making his wishlist! His birthday is a few months away though. I'll bet he'll be so surprised when he actually gets a birthday card in the mail!

His older brother will post his own list later.

Signed,
    Ez's Mom

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Jordan made Tabor a card and put in some of her favorite seeds. She dropped "all by myself" in the mailbox today. Just in case it doesn't get there on time...Happy Birthday Tabor.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

My kids made Tabor a card too! We are just waiting on his wishlist to see what kinds of seeds to send with it. Since it probably won't get there in time ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TABOR!!!!!!!!

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is TABORS want list......

hey 20th of this month is my b-day and if anyone wants to send my seed specials here's my top favorits:# peach tree seeds
    # apple tree seeds
    # orange tree seeds
    # peaches and cream corn
    # black dimond watermelon
    # cantalope
    # cucumber
    # strawberry
    # blueberry
    # cherry
    # mulberry
    # anything that when it grows I can be canned.
    and happy birthday to all, and all a good night. and i'm getting 2 rabbits for a early birthday present.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Well, I sure started something here! My 3 grandsons have been looking at seed catalogs for days!! The youngest is still deciding what he wants and I will post then. The middle one is easy! Now the oldest loves to eat and loves all veggies-what we didn't grow before we used to buy at the farmer's market each spring every week! So this year we are going to do spring and fall garden just so he can grow the things he likes to eat! There is no way I can get all the items he likes! We just left home depot earlier and he got 10 packs of things he had to have! Thanks goodness the others went home with Dad!! So here goes (not sure if there is a limit but he copied all these by himself so will put them up!). Trying to put in categories.

Austin May 5th BD-he'll be 13!
    Flowers-only orange ones nothing else!
    Veggies-
    Asparagus-Jersey King, Jersey Knight, Purple Passion,Morte
    Artichoke-Violetto, Imperial Star
    Beans-Red Noodle, red seeded asparagus bean, ozark razor-
    back, wing, soleil
    Broccoli- Super Blend, Sothern comet
    Brussel Sprouts-Falstaff, royal marvel hybrid, Franklin
    Carrots-Rainbow Blend, gourmet gold, purple haze,
    Thumbelina
    Cabbage-Mammoth red rock, copenhagen market, primeto
    Chard-Golden Sunrise, Bright Lights
    Cucumber-Richmond green apple
    Corn-Ruby Queen, early pink (popcorn)
    Lettuce-(loves salads!!)-Rainbow baby greens, mild mesclun
    mix, rapid star hybrid, dark lollo rossa, delta dawn,
    valmaine, blushed butter cos, drunken woman frizzy
    headed lettuce
    Eggplant- casper, india purple
    Peas-snow wind, Lincoln
    seedling peas-kind to eat the vine (he loves them!)
    Radishes-plum purple, philadelphia white box, long scarlet
    Okra-burgundy
    Radicchio-indigo, early treviso
    Tomato-orange fleshed purple smudge
    Watermelon-black diamond
    Apple-sundance
    Strawberries-earliglow, king kong
    Raspberry-Anne
    Believe it or not he picked them all and loves to eat all these things!! The farmer's market made a killing off of us last year as I wasn't able to do as much in the garden due to hurt knee! But will this year! Personally, anything close to the items he wants will be fine I am sure.

Now for the other one-
    Tanner David-BD is July 9th-he will be 9!
    Blue flowers-and some red, mostly blue though!
    strawberries, strawberries, strawberries!

The little one is still thinking on what he wants. Will post that when I get him to decide.
    Thanks, Melinda (for my 3 grandsons!)

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Micah has been looking through the seed catalogs for days now. We have started a wish list under my page. It is called Micah's Wish List under the seed section.

He just finished Gardening Merit Badge for Boy Scouts. He did all the gardening last summer but didn't do the paperwork. Now he is finished!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just committed the ultimate crime! I didn't post Austin's most wanted things before the others! I totally forgot as they weren't wrote down! He said I should know them by heart as he has asked for them forever! So here are some add-on's for Austin
    May 5th BD-
    venus fly trap
    any carnivorous seeds-he wants to grow one big enough to
    eat his brothers!
    cactus and unusual succulents
    Thanks, Melinda (for my grandson so he doesn't stay mad at me forever!)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

this is for talla- june 29
    buttercups
    daisy's
    bluebells
    spinache
    strawberrys that go all the time
    corn
    canteloupe
    watermelon
    blueberry's
    she said that's all that she could think of now **big grinn** ohhhh and she said her fairies love berries as much as she does LOL
    austin sounds like talla, she'd love to have the carnivorous ones to eat tabor up so she could have both bunnies!! ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded totally nutso gardener :'}]

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Micah's birthday is a long way off: July 9, but here are a few of this wishes:

snapdragons
    marshmallow plant (to feed the snap dragon)
    but eating plants
    Devil's Claw
    Unicorn Plant (aren't they the same thing with different color flowers?)
    Easter Egg Plant
    Pink Angel Trumpet

I am sure there are more. but I am tired from working all day in the yard.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Ok, here is Stoney Matthews list-BD April 23 He'll be 7.
    Watermelons-
    moon and stars
    cream of saskatchewan
    citron
    or any yellow and white or red will do!
    cucumbers-any green he can eat!
    Pumpkins-
    galeux d'eysines-says it looks so cool
    big moon
    batwings
    white ones, also
    baby corn
    yellow squashes-sundance, sunburst
    any as long as they are yellow!
    Strawberries-any
    grapes-any
    raspberries-any
    blackberries-any

No flowers except for sunflowers for his mom!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TABOR!!!! I hope you have a wonderful fun day! How are you liking your new rabbits? I am behind, but be looking for a card in a day or so!
    This is from Austin, Tanner, Stoney Matthew!

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

HI Tabor,

My son Micah and I say:

Your card is in the mail today. They mail did not get picked up on Saturday!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TABOR!!! We hope you have a great day!

We dropped your card off at the post office yesterday, so it should be there in a couple of days.

From,
    Elijah, Ezra, and their Mom

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hi Tabor - I hope your birthday was wonderful! The bunnies look adorable. We finished your card today and it will go in the mail next week. Sorry we are so late getting it out to you.

I am posting for Sarah Kate, she turns 9 on April 23.
    Her want list is below. Thanks! Nikki

1. Viola
    2. Sunflowers
    3. Pansies
    4. Digitalis
    5. Dahlia
    6. Asters
    7. Arctotis (African Daisy)
    8. Aquilegia
    9. Delphinium

1. Dianthus
    2. Pecan Tree (???)
      She had a great time looking through the seed catalog. The wish for pecan tree was off the top of her head:)

Looking forward to a fun year of birthdays for the kids!!!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Hey, I noticed Godsgardener's grandson has a February birthday, and there is no wishlist up yet. Have you been in touch with her, Kym?

Bonnie

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie, thanks so much, I sent her an email !

I hope she will check in soon!!

I was checking all the Feb info when you posted, thanks for mentioning the missing list, sure does help.

• godsgardener
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm here, I'm here! Kym sent me an e-mail reminding me to post a list for my Grandson Cameron. Sorry, this month has been really busy and I haven't been on here much.
    Anyway, Cameron will be 5 on Feb 15, he loves to garden with me and keeps track of his garden by phone when he hasn't been over for awhile.
    Here is his list:
    Mini Pumpkins
    Mini bottle, canteen or speckled swan gourds or mini ones with bumps
    Mini carrots or purple carrots
    Cucumbers
    basil, rosemary and oregano (these are herbs needed for a pizza garden)
    Chocolate bell pepper
    Popcorn
    Cleome
    Larkspur
    Hollyhocks
    Bunny tail grass
    Different colors of sunflowers
    Daisy's
    Snapdragons
    Johnny Jump Up
    Any plants that attract butterflies or hummingbirds

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Jordan has been asking if Tabor received her card yet. We mailed it 2 weeks ago. Kim

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I was wondering the same thing too.

Bonnie

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I hope the February birthday buddies posted their list. Jordan and I want to make cards and send some goodies. Kim

• godsgardener
    15 years ago

My grandson, Cameron received his first card and seeds yesterday from Elijah and Ezra c/o of their Mom highalttransplant.

He was so excited!! Elijah and Ezra made their own beautiful handmade card and included temporary tattoo's. along with Chocolate sweet pepper, Purple carrots, Jack be little pumpkin, Basil (for his pizza garden) & Agastache rupestris to attract hummingbirds.

I posted a link to a picture of him with his card and one of his tattoo's on his hand.

Thanks Elijah & Ezra for making Cameron's birthday special!
    He can't wait to make you a card for your birthday's

Here is a link that might be useful:

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Godsgardner! I am just glad that we had some things on his wishlist. The boys had a great time making the card too!

Hope he has a wonderful birthday!!!

It would be fun to see pictures of all of the kids gardens or harvests come summertime.

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Great to see the pics of the kids ! I will get one on here someday when I figure out how to do it!
    I too sent Tabor a card from the boys! Hope he got it! Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Just wanted to bump this up! And to remind Cameron to be on the lookout for something still! We are behind on his bd card!
    Melinda

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the wish lists for the kids in APril...Happy Birthday !!

Stoney Matthews list-BD April 23 He'll be 7.
    Watermelons-
    moon and stars
    cream of saskatchewan
    citron
    or any yellow and white or red will do!
    cucumbers-any green he can eat!
    Pumpkins-
    galeux d'eysines-says it looks so cool
    big moon
    batwings
    white ones, also
    baby corn
    yellow squashes-sundance, sunburst
    any as long as they are yellow!
    Strawberries-any
    grapes-any
    raspberries-any
    blackberries-any
    No flowers except for sunflowers for his mom!

I am posting for Sarah Kate, she turns 9 on April 23.
    Her want list is below. Thanks! Nikki

1. Viola
    2. Sunflowers
    3. Pansies
    4. Digitalis
    5. Dahlia
    6. Asters
    7. Arctotis (African Daisy)
    8. Aquilegia
    9. Delphinium

1. Dianthus
    2. Pecan Tree (???)
  • Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Just checking as I just noticed we never saw a thank you for the card from my 3 grandsons to Cameron! It had some of his wants in it! I hope he enjoyed! Thanks, melinda

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I'm late in getting this month's card out as well. Will send soon:) Nikki and Sarah Kate

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Just bumping this one up. We have two birthdays on the same day. Kym reposted their wishlists a couple of posts up... Sarah Kate and Stoney's birthdays are both on the 23rd. I'm helping to host the adult birthdays but have almost forgotten this one:) Nik

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Me too, Nikki! I know we have a few wishes we can fill. I'll get the kids working on cards, and post when we get them in the mail.

Thanks for the reminder!

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Sarah Kate has something coming her way! And if anyone is sending to Stoney Matthew and don't have the addy-just email me and I'll give it to you. Or just use mine if you still have that one. Thanks, melinda

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Stoney and Sarah Kate's cards went out today. I hope they get there in time for their birthdays!

Bonnie

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Sarah Kate received some wonderful seeds from Melinda last week. Please forgive us for not posting sooner! She was tickled pink to receive Swiss giant pansies, vanilla ice sunflowers, teddy bear sunflowers, and wild violet mix. She squealed when she got it! Thanks a MILLION! Nikki and Sarah Kate

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Sarah Kate, I hope you have a WONDERFUL slumber party !!

{{gwi:1237078}}

Stoney, I hope you have had a GREAT Birthday !!

ALWAYS,

MISS KYM

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Stoney Matthew laughed at his Happy Birthday on here! He really liked that! Thanks Kym!
    Also thanks to Bonnie's kids for the homemade bd card, tattoos, and seeds! He was thrilled! First thing he asked when he came in yesterday to see me was have I got any seeds yet! I've been hearing that for weeks and I kept telling him it wasn't his bd yet! He was going to take them home and plant them today after school he said. He got cucumbers, mini white and orange pumpkins, squash, and something else! I don't remember! Sorry! Anyway, he thanks you alot! Melinda (Stoney Matthews grandma)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Could someone please send me all the kids birthdays and addresses for the entire year. I have been so overwhelmed with my husband's health issues I completely forgot about the kids swap. I would like Jordan to make a batch of cards for the year so I can just send when they are due. Sorry we missed some birthdays but I bet the kids will still enjoy a late card. Kim

• ashcraftbunch
    15 years ago

are there any openings for new kids to join. if so I have 3 that would love it?
    Jamie

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Melinda, I'm glad he liked everything! Elijah and Ezra have already made a card for Austin too. I just need to go through my seed boxes, and see what I have on his wishlist. It will probably go out on Friday.

Jamie, you may want to send Kym (Flwrs4ever) an email in case she doesn't see your post, since she is hosting this swap.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Just an update. I heard from Nikkineel that Sarah Kate received her card, and Austin's went in the mail today.

Melinda, keep in mind these are boys making these cards, so don't expect any pictures of flowers, or butterflies LOL!

Bonnie

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Bonnie, Sarah Kate was absolutely thrilled to receive the seeds. When I came here to post, it made me realize that my previous post did not go through. I've had some gw issues lately but I think they are all fixed now:)
    Bonnie sent Sarah Kate vanilla ice sunflowers, teddy bear sunflowers, dianthus magic mix. I am going from memory here Bonnie so I know I didn't list them all. Happy to report that she has sprouts on the sunflowers and wants to Fall sow the dianthus.
    Lisa (ishareflowers) also sent Sarah Kate a card and seeds that we received over the weekend. She sent Columbine dragonfly, dianthus, and painted daisy seeds! She was really excited and even went online to see pics!
    Thanks for making Sarah Kate's birthday really special!
    Nik

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I want to say a big Thanks to Bonnie's son's for the birthday cards that my grandson Austin received! It had tons of seeds in it and he was very thrilled! Most are already planted! So sorry can't remember them all , but there were ALOT! And the homemade cards to them have been great! Sorry so late in thanking you! From Austin by his grandma, Melinda

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I received an email with the kids birthdays for the year but still need all their addresses. Can someone please send them to me. Thanks Kim

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hi guys! I'm bumping this thread up, because I just realized that we have a June birthday - Talla. The kids will get a card out to her, but I'm afraid it will be a few days late. BTW, how old will she be?

Also, I'm wondering if some of the kids that posted lists several months ago, and have birthdays coming up, might want to update their wishlists?

So ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TALLA! and check your mailbox : )

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone is still doing this and has any birthday's besides Tanner in July?
    Could just one person send to Tanner as his birthday was July 9 and his 2 brothers got seeds on theirs. He has been asking when his seeds will be coming.
    If you decide to do this please email me for addy!
    Thanks, Melinda

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Melinda, my kids didn't make any cards yet this month, but aren't motivated to do so, since Ezra's birthday was on the 13th, and he didn't get a single card after making them every month for other children. It appears that those with children earlier in the year, are no longer participating. Very disappointing for a five year old.

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I sincerely apologize for missing your son's BD. I do understand how he feels as that is how Tanner feels also! I had surgery the first of the month and wasn't on very much! So my grandsons haven't been here much to help do this with me. I will be happy to send a belated one if you will send me the addy! Thanks, Melinda

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Melinda, that comment was not directed at you personally. There are half a dozen other folks that signed up to participate in this swap, and he didn't receive a card from any of them either. If you are willing to send one to Ezra, I'll get the boys to make one for Tanner too. I'm pretty sure I still have your address, but I will email you mine.

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I am sure it wasn't meant personally to me either. I just understand how he feels and I have felt really bad about being out of the loop for the last 2 months. Things are better now and I would love to continue for the kids. And for the adults birthday swap also. Thanks and would love to have the addy! Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say Thank You so much from Tanner to Bonnie and her son Ezra for the great birthday card and 4 packs of seeds and tattoos for him. He was thrilled with them all! Appreciate making his day!! Thanks a million, Melinda
    (Tanner's grandma)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Ezra received his card yesterday. Thank you so much for the seeds, candy, and the card game. The beans and sunflowers are perfect for his little hands to sow! It's amazing how much more interested kids are in eating vegetables that they helped grow!

Thanks again, your thoughtfulness is appreciated!

Bonnie