Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitties50

February OBF-Have a Heart-Send a Heart

smitties
11 years ago

OBF members, "Have a Heart and Send a Heart. This month as you all know holds the day of hearts and love, Valentine's Day. Let's see how creative we can be with sending a few heart shaped items to our "Valentine". Since there isn't really seeds that are heart shaped, let's include seeds in red, pink, or white.

I think the small box/padded envelope idea worked well in our last swap so let's try to keep it small and inexpensive. As a matter of fact, you might want to check to see if sending it first class is a cheaper route than priority. This time of year, first class is just as fast as priority depending on where it is sent.

I am posting this early so we try to have our Hearts sent and received by our Valentine by February 14th so get your creative thinking caps on and start thinking ahead.

I will take sign ups until February 7th and assign your "Valentine" to you on the 8th in hope that you can all have your hearts sent in time to be received by the 14th. Plan to have it mailed by the 11th if at all possible.

I will be doing a game once Valentines are assigned so keep watching.

I hope you can all join in and send a heart. Remmeber, our Bloomin Friends "OBF" is an exchange group that you must be a member to join in our swaps. If you desire to join, please contact Shirley (brittineysgran) or Carol (veeja11).

Thank you Katie for your help is getting my post done correctly.

Comments (124)

• kchd
    11 years ago

Ruth! Glad you liked your box :)

Margo,
    Is it west of the continental divide?

• kchd
    11 years ago

Whoopsie... I forgot to guess a city.
    Is it Heartwell, NE ?

I know it's after 7:00 pm, so this can be my guess for tomorrow.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Sugar City, Colorado?

My ? would be : Is it a resort or tourist attaction?

• mellen
    11 years ago

Margaret, I sent your package today. Hope you like it.
    ME

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

paradise, pa?

• Melinda Hagen
    11 years ago

My guess today is Heart Butte, Montana.
    Does it have just one name in the city?

• ruthz
    11 years ago

My guess today is
    Romeo, Colorado

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

my question is - is it in the north, south, east or west?

• mellen
    11 years ago

Margaret, I just found another item that I meant to send to you. Grr...I will get it in the mail tomorrow.

Question: What state is it in?

Do not know if this has been guessed----

Sweetheart City, WI

ME

• mellen
    11 years ago

Miss Carol, I just had a box delivered to my front door from you. WooHoo! Report back later.
    ME

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Okay, my question for today
    I'd like to buy a vowel
    Does it have the letter o

• kchd
    11 years ago

I received my hearty package from Dianne today :)

She sent:
    A Valentine's lollipop (which I'm licking)
    A Valentine's chocolate bar (which husband is nibbling)
    A springtime hand towel (going into the kitchen)
    A chocolate lovers' cookbook (no doubt husband will pick out recipes from this for his impending birthday!)
    And seeds!
    red, white, pink petunia mix
    red hardy hibiscus
    lavender hardy hibiscus
    pink baby's breath
    red hollyhock

Thanks so much Dianne! You are always so crafty & resourceful with your packages. I love it!! BTW, dear southern AL neighbor, did you make it to any Mardi Gras in Mobile? I hear they have a nice celebration.

I just got back from New Orleans, celebrating Mardi Gras with my mom, stepfather, sister, brother and 4 yr old nephew. I've got silly pictures posted on FB, LOL!

Well, since I was late yesterday, I will re-post my question & guess today:
    Is it west of the continental divide?
    Is it Heartwell, NE ?

Hmmmm, I like this new look to GW, too, Margaret. It's so springtime-y!!

And oooo, I came home to some winter sowing sprouts! Happiness is!!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I received my package from Shirley today.
    Thanks so much, Shirley.
    Shirley sent some Godiva Chocolate Truffles (I don't think I've ever had Godiva Chocolate before, but sure have heard a lot about it!) I also got a journal - perfect for taking notes in the garden and the following seeds - perfect for Valentine's Day:

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
    Moonflower 'Giant White'
    Pink Snapdragon
    Pink Sweet Pea 'Summer Lpve'
    Red 'Grandpa Otts' Morning Glory

and even a plant -Sempervivum 'Black Velvet'.

Thanks so much, Shirley, it's a wonderful package!
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    Jeanne

• mellen
    11 years ago

Very nice gifts being sent......including the one that I got from Carol today. Ready? Here I go......

bag of peony 'sorbet'
    bag of pink lily of the valley
    bag of pink phlox
    box of Pink Charm daffies
    box of pink and white tulips
    a beautiful multi-colored wind chime with flowers in the middle
    seeds-brilliant red poppy and goblin gaillardia
    mani/pedi set
    2 packages of plant stakes
    a beautiful necklace and earring set
    a necklace extender
    darling little pink-spotted giraffe Beanie Boo
    package of Lindor chocolates
    AND a 'Grow a Boyfriend!' HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! It's this red, 2" tall plastic "man" that you put in water and 'he' grows. The package says that he is polite, a free movie and dinner date, ALWAYS shuts up, doesn't chew with his mouth open, and best of all......He doesn't look at you like you're nuts when you buy another pair of shoes! Oh yes, and he always agrees with you. Carol, only YOU would find something like this. It is VERY funny!

Carol, I also loved the card and note that you sent. The feeling is mutual, dear friend. I am so blessed to have you as a friend. Thank you so, so much.
    Love you,
    ME/Cantaloupe

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's see if I can update this properly. Just spent almost an hour trying to get this all organized. Please let me know if I have messed up.

Shirley - sent, received from Margo
    Melinda - sent, received from Ruth
    Margo - sent
    Katie - sent, received from Dianne
    Ruthz - sent, received from Katie
    Margaret - sent
    Jeanne - sent, received from Shirley
    Dianne - sent, received from Jeanne
    Carol - sent,
    Maryanne
    Mary Ellen - sent, received from Carol
    Vina - sent, received from Margaret

Now to attempt to answer all questions.

Not named after a flower
    Not Humptulips, WA
    Not Heartwell, NE
    Not Sugar Ctiy, CO
    Not a resort
    Not Paradise, PA
    Not Heart Butte, MO
    Yes, it is one name
    Not Romeo, CO
    Maryanne, technically you have asked four questions so I am answering the first which would be "is it North? and the answer is yes.
    Not Sweetheart City, WI
    Ruth, there is no O
    It is in Minnesota

That should pretty much narrow it down. First one to guess the city correctly will win the book. I will be away most of tomorrow so will answering any question or if there is a winner, I will verify it then. Good luck.

Margo

• mellen
    11 years ago

I will guess;

Hartland,MN.

me

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day
    Love the Heart Flag in this Fuji Hot Pink Frost.
    I grew this in 2010.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

I will guess :

Darling, Minnesota

Happy Valentines Day ya'll :)

• Melinda Hagen
    11 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to all! Absolutely love the mg Ruth!

• Melinda Hagen
    11 years ago

Wow! I rec'd another small package from Ruth today!
    She sent me some lovely homemade hearts with Valentine card. And she even remembered my birthday with a birthday card and earrings! And you couldn't have picked better earrings for me! They are the kind I just love, love, love!!! Thanks so very much! Melinda

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congratulations Mary Ellen, it was Hartland, MN. I wanted to keep to the "heart" theme even though it was spelled differently. Your book will be on the way asap.

I believe Carol's package was delivered yesterday.

Waiting for word that Maryanne's package was delivered to her as well as Margaret's.

Maryanne, has your package been sent? So far, I have not received one.

Once these three packages are received, this swap will be officially closed. Thanks to everyone who participated and I hope you all had fun.

Happy Valentine's day, Margo

This post was edited by smitties on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:11

• veeja11
    11 years ago

Glad you liked your box miss Mellen, it has been so long since I sent to you i couldn't remember your last name, thought it might be Mary Ellen Mellen, but correct one was sent to me. received wonderful box from Melinda, came yesterday but mailman won't come in my yard so got notice to pick it up today, a sweet card a bag of table scatter hearts, a heart garland, a heart cupcake kit, a chocolate heart love in a puff seeds, brilliant sedum, seeds, alyssum rosie o day, cosmos , seashells love it thankyou

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Hello everyone. having a lot of trouble posting to these forums since they changed things. Margo, via email you and i communicated, yes,i did send my box and no, i have not received one as of today.

happy valentine's day everyone!.

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryanne, it is too bad the post office could not have been more timely and delivered your package yesterday. When I checked the DC, it said expected delivery was February 14. Sorry, missed the package update. Will post when it is delivered.

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's day. Weather here was damp and cold. No snow anymore so sure could use an inch or two to brighten things up again. Nothing really in the forecast but a rain/snow mix and everyone knows those just leave mud.

Have a good day. Margo

• mellen
    11 years ago

I just checked my DC # for Margaret's package I sent to her. USPS states it was delivered at 12:14 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 13. Hope she found it and all is okay.

I won? Wow! Rarely does that happen? Looking forward to the book, Smit.

Headed to Ames again to see Dad.
    ME

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

Maryanne, I'm so sorry you didn't receive your Valentine on Valentine's Day :( I hope you get it today...

We had such a busy day yesterday, and Taylor came down with the tummy bug going around at school, so we're having our Valentine's Day tonight, possibly tomorrow.

Talk to ya later.
    vina

• veeja11
    11 years ago

darn , I did it again opened my box from Melinda, put candy dish on table, put cute lil flower pot with hearts growin out of it on living room shelf, forgot to include them in my thankyou. I also received a heart shaped candy dish and lil pink pot with glittery hearts growing out of it. thankyou Melinda sorry I missed those. big hugs carol

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went to work today to find several boxes of new products. Since a work associate quit two weeks ago, I have been doing the work of two and boy am I beat. I came home to find a wonderful package waiting for me from my Valentine. In the box was several packages each individually wrapped. I found

A white chocolate candy orange which I will be trying after my weigh in at Weight Watchers tomorrow. I deserve it!!!
    Coconut lime hand soap which is at the kitchen sink now.
    A mug with teabags and I am about to have a cup of tea. The
    mug is very pretty and says Flowers are like friends, the more you pick, the more beautiful and diverse your bouquet will become. Love it.
    A book of garden proverbs.
    Set of 3 memo pads that stack on top of one another, each a bit smaller than the other and read on the side, Live, Laugh, Love.
    Seeds, seeds, seeds
    rough stemmed golden rod
    white clematis
    sweet William, double pink
    pink Mimosa
    False indigo
    White Liatris
    Rose campion
    White gomphrena
    pink crepe myrtle
    Sweet William white

Thank you Maryanne for the wonderful Valentine box. I love it all. Hope you had a nice Valentine day. Margo

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Hi everyone. No box again today, although my delivery confirmation shows that Margo received her box. Margo, I'm not sure what your message meant...to me or to you? In any event, Vina, i'm sure it will be here soon. I looked the number up when I was checking to see if mine had been delivered and there's no information other than it being mailed. all good things come to those who wait, right?

spent some time in the yard today, the weather was beautiful. worked for 5 hours. body is killing me, so i will not be sitting here long. hope everyone is well.

maryanne

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hi, All, Yes , Mellen, I received your package but when you stated you had forgotten something & was mailing it, I thought I would wait to post when I received that. We have Bren home this week & has been rather busy here. The packages sound great so we should all have had a great Valentines' day. Have a great weekend, all. Blessings, Margaret

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryanne, worked in the yard!!! Good for you. I can't wait to get into the dirt again. Unfortunately, I have to wait a while.

I don't understand what is going on with your box. I looked up the DC number and don't understand why it has been in that post office in New York since the 12th and doesn't seem to have gone anywhere else. It does say expected delivery for the 14th too. I hope it comes tomorrow.

I think once your package arrives, we are all set here and the swap will be done. I will be mailing Mellen's book to her next week some time.

Margo

• veeja11
    11 years ago

It is almost time to plant my garden, anyone have any ideas on how to keep my new shep mix pup out of it, he is 7 mo old now took all my 1 gal pots out into the yard and destroyed them now he is starting on the 2 gal, destroyed my rhodie 2 nandinas broke a branch off my new peach tree, a bunch of poor daylillies are trampled. gotta find a way to keep him outta the veggie garden. help please

• kchd
    11 years ago

Carol,
    Lowes carries a pepper based animal repellant called Critter Ridder. It's natural but very potent. Try that to see if it works on puppy's sensitive nose. I have also used little mouse traps as booby traps against big naughty dogs in the past. The startling effect of the trap snapping sound can sometimes be effective, although it depends on the dog.

Mellen, congrats on the win!!

Katie

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Good morning everyone. Mail was just delivered and still no package. Not sure what is happening, Vina, but the usps site is not updted either. glad it's not plant time, otherwise, those things could be in some pretty bad shape!

happy saturday. off to see if i can get some reduced v'day candy. not that i need it, i want it!!!!!

gw is still so hard to use. i type, nothing appears until minutes after. very strange.

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello, All-I received the other package from Mellen-A darling pair of slipper socks, pink with hearts on the front of them. I am sitting here at the computer bare footed so I am going to put them on! I am also indulging in one of the 2 Russell Stover candy bars she sent. There were 2 darling tiny bird picks enamel painted to place in house plants, notes with the most beautiful pictures of flowers on them-on the back stating MR Power-Photos taken at Clemens & Munsinger Gardens in St. Cloud, MN. Seeds-Cockscomb-"Indiana Giant" ,"Amaranth "Love Lies Bleeding" & Joseph's Coat "Perfecta", Sunflower "Double Dandy", Sweet Pea, "Royal Pink" & Royal White',Nasturtuim "Scarlet Gleam", Morning Glory "Scarlet O'Hara", & Lychinis :Chalcedonia", a darling card & most of this put in a cute red bag.

Thanks so much, Mellen & I would really like to know who took the beautiful flower pictures. Such great talent. You made my Valentines' Day a great one!

Thanks so much , Margo, for hosting. You did a wonderful job.

Blessings, to all Gw Lovely Ladies, Margaret

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryanne, it looks like your package might have been put in a corner and forgotten. It seems to be sitting at that post office. I sure hope it was delivered today.

I have the book ready to send to you Mary Ellen but not sure when I will be getting to the post office but will let you know when it heads out.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Morning!

Maryanne, I'm so sorry!

I don't know what to do? Should I call my post office and see if they can find out where it's setting? Tomorrow is a holiday. I'll try Tuesday..

Does it seem like to po is moving a little slower? I mailed a seed swap to a lady on the same day as your package. She still doesn't have that either? :( Very disapointed!

Hope your all staying warm, only 13 out today. A good day to make meatballs, and sow some seeds WOOHOO! :)
    vina

ps. think spring!

• mellen
    11 years ago

Wow, Margaret, that second pkg. I sent went fast. I just sent it on Friday and you got it the next day? Go figure. Glad you liked all of it. The photo cards are made by my daughter-in-law. I know I am partial, but I do think she does a beautiful job. The Gardens there in St. Cloud are gorgeous.

Margo, nice swap this month. You did a very nice job.
    Thanks,
    ME

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

a belated congrats Mary Ellen on winning the game...that was a good one lol...i learned a lot about a lot of cool little towns researching trying to guess it and it was a fun interesting one...neat idea and would really like to do that again sometime :)

Katie, I'm so glad you liked your Valentines :) ...I caught my hubby sneaking in on my valentine's candy too this mornin lol...i don't mind sharing tho hahahhaa unless i need the chocolate fix and then i'm a mother grizzly ...i didn't get to make it to mardi gras this year...we get to go maybe every 3 to 4 years or so ...a shame too since it's so close to us that we don't get to go more often...usually we're either strapped for money or strapped for time tho...our kids are involved in so many school activities and school sports it's hard to break away when we do have the money...we used to try to go as a family to do everything we could possibly do...that is getting harder now that the kids are getting older and i so miss it but hubby says we have to let them grow up...and money wise we are building on a front porch to our house and then plan to build a new shed and then a greenhouse...so we got a lot in the works for this year but maybe next year we'll be able to make it to mardi gras

we planted our garden according to the almanac and also planted one at my mom's and then these rain storms and freezes came thru so i'm hoping our seeds didn't get washed away...the garden plots just look like a hot mess...they look like the dirt was just packed in by the rain and so empty...tho i know nothing had time to sprout before the rain came thru so maybe it's all still good

i made another mistake also lol...i planted some seeds in home made containers indoors and was so proud of myself for that...and many of them have sprouted and are so cute!!!! BUT i forgot to label them thinking i'd do it later and would remember what was what....now i'm gonna have to wait for them to grow bigger and maybe flower to tell what they are lol....so silly of me to think i could remember something like that when i'm easily side tracked to begin with ...

can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit again...got more stuff i wanta get in the dirt!!

anyways hope all of ya'll are staying warm and doing well...i want to visit where there is snow but don't want to bring any of it home with me lol...that stuff is so beautiful but don't want to live in it again :)

hugs and smiles, Dianne

• veeja11
    11 years ago

Good luck with the p.o. I sent some dvd's I sold on amazon, tracking number showed them arriving in a kent wa post office, they never left there. since I didn't buy extra ins, po said tough luck, if they would just hang it up and put Dan in charge we might have a chance, but untill then they are nasty, just my opinion
    hugs carol

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Good morning everyonbe. Still no package, and no mail today as we all know it's a holiday. We have been sleeping in so much later these last few days, that not sure we'll hear the alarm tomorrow when it's time to get up for school! My granddaughter had off as of Friday. I better get in the habit since I may be going back to work real soon...sooner rather than never! LOL

Mary Ellen, I don't blame you for being partial to the photos. I would be proud as well.

Dianne, I can't tell you the number of times I would "remmeber" something, anything...especially that stuff I package up and put in containers in the freezer! LMAO....sometimes it's a defrost everything to determoine what it is. Or defrost what you think were mashed p potatoes and find out it was buttercream icing! My promise to myself this year was to label everything, but I don't always. oh well.

One time I had a box take the longest time. When it came down to it, it was never mailed as a priority box, so it took a longer time to get here, perhaps Vina that is what is happeneing?

I'm still experiencing great problems with GW. I type to a blank page and then minutes later, the words appear. As of now, I see the paragraph where I mention MaryEllen. It will be minutes before anything else appears and then I have to go back and fix typos. So strange, not sure why this is happening.

Spring, plesae come soon, I can no longer take this cold.

Have a great Monday!
    Maryanne

• kchd
    11 years ago

Hello, lovely ladies,
    I get emails several times a week from "EarthSky News," mainly because I like to star gaze and it alerts me to upcoming astrological events. But sometimes they throw in a little bit extra of something special. For those of you wishing for spring, I share this video "The Life of Flowers" (see the link below). I just loved it! It's time lapse photography of flowers blooming, and the music is wonderful, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Life of Flowers

This post was edited by kchd on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 12:45

• mellen
    11 years ago

KC, Thanks for sharing.....beautiful!

Maryanne, I am having problems typing, also, on here. Gets frustrating after awhile.

There is 'talk' of a large winter storm coming through mid-week. I missed the last 2 storms as I was in FL. I wouldn't mind 1 more before Spring.

ME

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Afternoon!

Maryanne, I went to the post office today and they said "they'd look into it" as to why you haven't rec'd your package yet. I even sent it priority, glad it wasn't anything perishable. But it was marked fragile. I hope nothing is broken by the time you get it.

Crossing my fingers...
    vina

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

WOOHOO! Just checked the tracking number and it's out for delivery! :)

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Vina, not only out for delivery, but actually delivered today. I came home from a day of many errands to the package, which I thank you very much. I first thought, what a beautiful envelope, but it was wrapping paper. interesting...i may steal that idea. once i opened the card, i was treated to the following items:

Everyone needs a flower on V Day...a hand made felt flower pin with a made with love heart in the middlle. i have already pinned this on my canvas bag that i carry with me. did i ever say how much i love homemade things?!!!!!

a bag of sweetheart candies, the cutest little porceline(?) cupid. which my g-babe claimed until i told her not to lose it, then she relinquished it.

a garden stake for my memory garden that says gardening angel on duty, and a wonderful assortment of seeds...i'm so glad i showed some restraint today, as the stores are starting to put their seeds out...i was/am on a quest for celery and absent finding it, i walked away...rightfully so, as i received some great ones, and what's the best, none of which i have by way of seed or plant. columbine (leprechaun), hibiscus (plum crazy), japensee iris (shaker's prayer), viola (bowles black) pepper (sweet chocolate), black peony poppy. i am so looking forward to wintersowing and growing these.

vina thanks so much, the package was well worth waiting for!

maryanne

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maryanne, so glad the package has finally arrived and it is a shame it took the post office so long, especially when Vina got priority. I don't understand what is going on with the post office.

Wow, I guess we can say this swap is done. That was a quick one. Thanks to everyone who joined in and made my hostessing job an easy one.

Mary Ellen, I am going to be taking the book to the post office on Friday. I am working the next two days. If I get a chance, I will try to do it earlier.

Thanks again everyone and i hope you enjoyed this swap as much as I enjoyed hosting. Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and a reminder to leave a comment on your Valentine's Rate and Review post. Thanks Margo

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Morning!

Maryanne, I'M SO HAPPY it made it to you. I was worried your sign would be broken. Glad you liked your seeds. I'm not sure what the tiny angel is, but, when I saw him, I knew I needed him for your package :)

Margo, THANK YOU so much for hosting such a super swap!

Stay warm!
    vina

• veeja11
    11 years ago

who has march ?I wanna send this puppy to someone.
    hugs carol