Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

round robin for flower /garden magazines

beth_b_kodiak
19 years ago

I can't bear to part with my gadren magazines but I'd love to pass them around a bit. Thought i might do it as a round robin. I will send an envelope of at least 8 garden magazines. You "borrrow"(select) up to 4 of your choice. Replace them with four from your stash and send the package to the next person on the list.

Hopefully by the time it gets back to me they will all be different from the ones I sent out. If it works well, we could start over and do it again.

Anybody interested in a magazine round robin?

Comments (28)

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Hey Beth! I was just going to email you and Jody this a.m. to see if you were still interested in the magazine swap thing. Could find nothing on the "book" forum here.

Count me in for sure. I hate to waste perfectly good magazines too.
    Poochella

• rewards1
    19 years ago

Hi Beth, I am interested in your swap. As a good gardner should I save all of my magazines. Count me in please. Liz

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Annie and Liz I'll wait until the end of the week to see if there is anyone else who wants to get in on this.
    Of course, the fewer people in the RR the faster it goes around and back again.

• lilylouise
    19 years ago

I'd like to be involved. Will be away for month of February so put me in the lineup after March 15th or so.
    Lil

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

Oh, goody. Sounds great. Count me in. Will bookrate be acceptable?
    Theresa

• Poochella
    19 years ago

I'm in: I thought this thread disappeared? That's why I emailed you Beth, couldn't find hide nor hair of it on this forum. So- Yes- count me in. Do you want us to send addresses to you Beth?
    I'll email Jody and see if she is up to joining also.
    Thanks, will get the magazines dusted off LOL
    Poochella/Annie

• Susan Garrison
    19 years ago

That sounds fun! I would definitely like to do it.

• abitodd
    19 years ago

Count me in...cant bare to part with them but if they are going to someone else that would enjoy them I can live with that.

abitodd

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have 8 names on the list will stop at ten for this round. That means space for 2 more.
    Please send me your addresses and snail mail names so that I can set up the route. Hope to get this bird in the air on Monday. Thanks Beth

• nature_farmer
    19 years ago

Thanks Pochella for e-mailing me.I'm in Beth.First off gotta send yours they are finally packed.lol.Took me long enough,depressed sometimes,and or just plane sick ick.Jody

• nature_farmer
    19 years ago

Do you want me to start it off since I have your 4 mags already.I can change the addy.And add 4 of mine instead.Or do you want me to just send them to you since you need something to read while waiting for the robin.
    Here's an idea we could all send 4 to someone then on to someone else.swap them all back and forth,just a thought.It's your robin beth what ever you want to do.
    Send the mags by bound printed matter.It's on the USPS site as long as they have advertizing in them;plus it's cheaper than media mail.I'm all for cheap.lol.Jody

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Jody, I thought the same thing: just keep shipping 4-5 magazines around the bend in a big circle. Or two circles. I have sooooooooooo many magazines going back at least 5 years LOL! I won't even mention the dust, but promise to vacuum and Swiffer them before mailing!

Magazines should qualify for these definitions no?

From USPS.com:

"Bound Printed Matter service is a cost efficient way to mail permanently-bound sheets of advertising, promotional, directory or editorial material such as catalogs and phonebooks.
    Can weigh up to 15 pounds.
    Sheets must be permanently-bound by secure fastenings such as staples, spiral binding, glue or stitching.
    At least 90% of the sheets must be imprinted by any process other than handwriting or typewriting.
    Rates are based on weight, distance, and shape." No charge for dust. Oh, I editorialized on that dust part!

Will there be a time limit to keep received mags before shipping on? A week? Two weeks? A month? Is there a mean old librarian involved keeping track of overdue dates? Because I have real problems with mean old librarians... I'll tell the story some cold dark nght.

• suzannie
    19 years ago

Hi All!

I'll be in. Poochella thanks for emailing me.

Suzanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I really LIKE the idea of doing a continuous circle with the magazine mailings. poochella, I don't care how old they are as long as it was not before the days of color print. LOL I feast my eyes on those color pictures.
    No need for a librarian but we will need to keep track of who is sending the Mags on to the next person and who is still holding on to them. The book keeping could get tricky
    Shall we try to send them on about once a month?
    I'll still need addresses to get this set up. But it looks like it will work out well.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Beth could we all stick a postit inside each cover and initial the magazine when we've read it? Or put initials/GW name down first, then check off when we've read them? When all particpants have checked off the postit then the circle is done.

I know some nursing homes love floral/home magazines for their various art projects- so once we're done with them, they can be taken there and still have some usefulness.
    Poochella

• nature_farmer
    19 years ago

What a good idea.Beth you didn't answer my question.I'll just send the ones you sent me back to you and include 4 of mine.I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get these packed.Jody
    Pochella your just tooooo funny,love your humor.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok, Jody is mailing to me and I will mail to Poochella. We will start with the addresses that we have and add in the rest as I get their addresses.
    Ready to mail on Wed. Wonder how slow this printed matter mail is going to be??

• Poochella
    19 years ago

I'm going to the PO soon, and will ask the estimated mailing time from my alltime favorite USPO lady who, sadly, is retiring today : ( She has been so gracious to slave over my never ending mailings.

I'll let you know. ¨`¨` Oh Suzannie ¨`¨` I will be mailing to you.
    Annie

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Well I failed in my mission. The new guy is at the PO already, but the place was filled with customers including me, all bearing cards of well wishes for our beloved Postmistress- whose last day was Friday, not today. Can you believe that?

While I was getting back in the car, four more people came up all with cards for this gal. She was so super and will be sorely missed. I had to get out before I cried LOL! She has been an absolute institution in our unincorporated berg for 32 years.

I have another box to pack and will send the magazines tomorrow too, so I can get my act together then and ask about the time/cost for bound printed material vs. media that Jody mentioned before.
    Poochella the old softie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

Oh, sorry I haven't sent my address yet....I am sending it now. Hope I'm not too late.
    Theresa

• Poochella
    19 years ago

The Scoop according to the post office guy: Magazines have to go "Bound Printed Material." They don't qualify for media rate which is books, music cd's, videos, transcripts etc.

Pretty reasonable rate. I sent Suzannie 5 magazines weighing 2.5 lb all the way across the country for $2.50. He said it should take 7 days. Hope you like them Suzannie. I was about to wrap up the first pile, but noticed Christmas decorations so I went through and tried to pick Spring/Summer editions.

Poochella/Annie

• Euphoria526
    19 years ago

Is there still room for me to join??

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm confused, I think ( so what else in new)
    I have real names and addresses and then I have GW names and I am not able to match them up properly so I can finish this and get the full circle set up.
    I think it may be abitodd that I am missing but not sure,Jody, Carole, Liz and Anne I'm sure atr right.
    I have an address for Deni but no GW
    Theresa, Are you Suzanne? and Lillilouise I'm pretty sure in Ruth P.
    Somebody help me out here please???

• nature_farmer
    19 years ago

Beth,been there done that.lol.I've had to e-mail everyone before to give me there real name and G/W name.heehee
    Jody

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Beth- I am sending to GW 'Suzannie' who is Suzanne O. So you can take her off of the confused list.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

beth,

i'm not in this one, but i know for certain lilylouise is ruth and she's away for the month of february. hope that helps clear up some of your confusion.

regards,
    earthly

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Beth, got your magazines today! What a great variety. I can't wait to dig into them- luscious photos make me long for summer. This is a great idea!
    Thanks for organizing us.
    Annie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here are the ten GW memebrs that I have now matched up with street addresses
    Jody
    Beth b
    Anne P
    Suzanne O, Fl
    Deni W
    Lix W
    Sarah P
    Theresa in Fl
    Susan G in FL
    Ruth P NY
    You should all have the name and address you will send to by tomorrow morning
    Options for mailing include the printed matter rate which is economical but slow and the"Flat Rate" priority envelope for $3.85. If you are sending more than will fit in the flat rate envy priority will be too expensive.
    Check with your PO for suggestions but I like the flat rate envelopes because I can get them and the stamps ahead of time. Then I can just drop the packet into the mailbox anytime.
    BE SURE to put your address on the envelope.
    I'll start a new thread tomorrow so you can post when you mail and when you recieve.
    Thanks, bet