Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: 3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Posted by highalttransplant z 5 Western CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 14:53

tsheets pile of peppers
(Photo courtesy of tsheets)

Okay, I know that the I.E. Totally Tomato Swap is still going on, and this swap is scheduled for March, but I just can't wait to get started with this swap again! Besides, I've been told by some folks that they'd like to get an early start, so that they can get their seeds back in time for this season's crop.

So here are the rules (every swap's gotta have them):

* No deadline on signing up, but ALL seeds must reach me by February 28th. I will do my very best to have them back out by March 5th. That's a full week earlier than last year!

* Seed packets should be labeled as commercial, or harvested/hand collected.

* Seed packets should have minimum 12 - 15 seeds per packet.

* Limit of packets per variety = 3. If you send in more than 3 of a variety, the rest will be considered extras.
This will increase the variety in the swap. More variety sent in = more variety received back : ) If you have something very rare, or in high demand, contact me privately, and I may wave the 3 pack limit for that item.

*** This being my third year to host, I am tweaking the rules a bit. Due to having way too many of certain varieties in the past, I've created a list of peppers that will NOT be accepted in this swap. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, but they are very common varieties, that are available at any Walmart or Lowe's, so therefore, not on anyone's wishlist. If you send these in, I will return them to you.

Jalapenos
Cayennes
Habaneros
Cherry Peppers
California Wonder, or any Unnamed Bell Peppers (very few people had Bells on their wishlists at all)
Seed Mixes of any kind

If you have a rare, named variety of one of the items on this list, email me, and I may make an exception.

* Limit of total packs = 40. I've lowered it from 50. Last year I had a couple of folks send in 50 different varieties. Do you know how hard it was to come up with 50 varieties OTHER than the ones they sent in?

* Please put your GW name on the seed packet. This will ensure that you don't receive your own seeds back.

* Include a list of what you are sending in. This will also ensure that you don't receive the same thing you sent in.

* Please include a wishlist, or at least me know if you prefer Sweet/Mild, Hot, Superhot, or a Mix, so that I can send you things you will enjoy, even if I don't have items specifically from your wishlist. You may also indicate if you prefer OP/Heirloom types, or Hybrids. I can't guarantee what you will get back, since it is dependent on what others send in, but I will do my best.

* Commercial seeds should have an expiration date of '11 or '12. If hand collected, they should have been harvested in '10 or '11. Please put this information on the seed packet.

* Canadian GW members are welcome to join, as long as there seeds reach me by the deadline. Since they are unable to post on the Round Robin forum, they will need to email me to sign up.

* And last but not least, please include a return address label, and enough postage, for the return trip. If you are sending cash, remember postal rates went up last week. Also, if you want me to send your package with a delivery confirmation, you need to send enough $ to cover it.

* I will email you privately with my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap. You must make sure that your GardenWeb profile has your email address listed, and it's visible to other members, so I can contact you.

I apologize if that sounds like a lot of rules, but this will keep the swap fair and fun for everyone.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Your hostess,
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: 3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Sign me up please!

o

I'm game :).

o

Count me in. I only have a couple varieties not from your list.

o

Count me in!

o

Woohoo, we are off and running now!

Fischer, there is no minimum to send in, so even if you only send in 2 packets, you'll receive at least 2 packets that are different from the ones you sent in.

Welcome - Austinnhanasmom, Jsschrstrcks, Fischer, and Jmj1459!!!

I've got to run pick up kids from school, and have a meeting this evening, but I will email you guys my mailing address later tonight.

There's already a couple of people signed up on another forum that I belong to, so we are up to 6 people already. I have a good feeling about this swap : )

o

I'm a new member to GardenWeb and I'd like to join if I can! This sounds awesome!!

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 18:19

Sign me up please.

o

Need a donation? :)

o

I was hoping you'd say that, smokemaster! I'm new to GardenWeb, but just finished reading the Pepper Swap thread from last year. Sounds like it was a smmmokin' good swap, thanks to your generosity, as well as the diversity and number of participants. I would love to be included!

P.S. The photo by tsheets is magnificent.

o

Now this is my kinda swap! Love them peppers! Count me in!

o

Bonnie - I was hoping you we're going to host again this year. Count me in - I have some new sweets and hots I grew last year to share, as well as others! I can send donations too, so shoot me an email.

The past two swaps were great, so I'm sure this one will be too!!! I love the pic!

Sandy

o

Good Morning, Everyone!

Here is a list of everyone that has signed up. If you have an email listed on your member page, you should be receiving an email from me with my mailing address. If it doesn't reach you by the end of the day, let me know, and I'll resend it.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb - okay, I didn't send you my mailing address, just check the envelope that's probably sitting on your desk for the Totally Tomatoes Swap, LOL!

Jsschrstrcks/Ken

Fischer1611 - There is no email listed on your member page. Please add that, or email me through my member page, so that I can send you my mailing address.

Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna

Plus 5 from another forum.

Not bad for the first day of sign ups!!!

Smokemaster, I'll be sending you an email after I have a chance to look through my seedboxes. Thank you so much for your offer!

Bonnie

o

fischer1611@gmail.com
I changed it on my member page too, I think

o

Thanks, Fischer1611, your email's been sent.

o

I would love to join!

o

I'm in--please sign me up! I have a few specialty-type pepper seeds to contribute, including an Indian jwala type and maybe an ornamental (but still edible).

o

Welcome, Carsons_mimi and Ralleia, you should receive an email from me this afternoon. If it gets lost in cyberspace, let me know.

Current list of participants:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia

Plus 6 from another forum. That's a total of 18 in the first 24 hours!

o

sounds awesome, sign me up.

o

Sounds like a HOT SWAP to me.
OR
It sounds like a SWEEEEEET SWAP to me.
Count me in.

o

I wasn't going to do any swaps this year (though I love them, I thought I had too many varieties...). That picture did it! Yes, I am in!

o

Just stopping in before heading off to bed. Welcome, Scotty66, and Gardenerz! Comary, it's good to see one of my RMG buddies here!

Current list of participants:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary

So encouraged by the great response so far!

I've emailed everyone my mailing address, so if you don't get it, please let me know.

Bonnie

o

count me in Ihave a few odd varieties of hots Ric

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's exchange list

o

Welcome, Ric! I've emailed you my mailing address.

Okay, that brings us up to 16 here, which brings our total number of participants to 22.

Sooo, just curious, who's already got some pepper seeds started? I've sown 22 chinense and baccatum varieties so far, and have probably 40 or so annum varieties that will get sown in another week or two. Plus, anything cool I receive from this swap, LOL! I've put the cart way in front of the horse, seeing as how I currently only have one table with one growlight, and one sunny, cat protected window. Leap of faith, baby!!!

o

Seed Savers Exchange Heritage Farm listed a couple of "orphan" peppers in last year's Yearbook that had really short days to maturity listed. I ordered them both a couple of months ago. Each pack had a pretty decent germination test result listed from 2009, but it made me a little nervous so I decided to start a couple of each about 2 weeks ago just to see. All 4 little plants are getting little true leaves.

I'd planned to plant 2 of each in pots on my deck. By the time they're too big for my grow light set-up, hopefully the weather will be warm enough to put the transplants out during the daytime quite often.

o

Ten (10) days ago I started a few of what I call my hot hots - habaneros, 7 pots, etc. - 20 varieites thus far. 85% of the containers have sprouts (at least 4-6 in each contariner). This weekend I'll start the avg hots to mildly hots such as paper lantern, Peters, chili's, etc.... Then each weekend work my way thru the milds and then the sweets. I too will sow some from this swap too as soon as they hit the front door. Shoot I was hoping to keep my variety sown down to 50 or so, fat chance on that happening.

As each little container sprouts I move that variety off the heat mat to another light. Then as they grow they get potted into their separate pots....... I'm lucky - I have a dedicated grow area in the very basement and lucky with my light availability. If I were to put my lights in a straight line it would be 48 plus feet of lighting (John's an electrician so he's into setting me up). Sometime in March I turn the heat on in my greenhouse and plants start moving out there, then I have room in doors for the tomatoes that are started in March.

Then about May I panic for I have wayyyyyyy to many plants for one humanbeing to have and I need to find homes for hundreds of plants. Life of a Gardner!!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 9:35

Yesterday I sowed 28 cups.
I'm using the 16 ounce plastic cups this year.
I haven't tried that before, but saw pictures on the pepper forum.
I don't have a grow light or mat, but will keep them inside or in my makeshift greenhouse.

o

Wow, Sandy, I'm envious of all of your lighting! My husband is in a similar line of work, but has been trying to put his foot down on me expanding my indoor grow area. I haven't given up yet though : )

Ruthz, I've seen a lot of folks using those 16 oz. cups too. Last year, I took the 1L bottles flavored water comes in, and soldered holes in the bottom, cut the top 1/3 off, filled the bottom with germinating mix and seeds, then pushed the top back on by cutting v-shaped slits.

Here's a picture before the grow light was installed.

Photobucket

As you can see, I didn't have a heat mat either, and my germination was quite high, though I don't know the exact percentage. I'll keep better records this time.

Here's a shot after they sprouted and the top part was removed. You can see I sowed a few more!

Photobucket

This is what I'm using to start seeds this year:

Peppers started 1-24-12

Here is our current sign up list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
Ricjo22

Plus 6 more makes 22.

I'll check back in tomorrow.

Bonnie

o

I love seeing and hearing how everyone starts their seeds. Who else wants to share there setup and/or pics????

o

Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 8:32

I don't like using the 16 oz. cups.
They fall over too easy.
I have used the 2 liter soda bottles before, but didn't have any saved this year.

o

Bonnie,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question here that I asked on the Hot Peppers forum and got -0- response in three days.... and since we're talking peppers and seed starting techniques here....

Does anyone have experience/input on the differences between Red Savina and Red Carribean peppers. I have limited garden space and want to grow a red hab but not necessarily two varieties. Would appreciate hearing from those who are familiar with either.

It was also mentioned on another thread that the Red Savina is very erratic in heat levels. Has anyone experienced this behavior as well?

The reason for my urgency is that I'm starting pepper seeds literally right now.

Thanks friends and fellow pepper lovers.

Lynn

o

Lynn,

Each year I grow the Red Caribbean Habanero and it is pretty consistent in growth, pod production and heat. I grew the red savina only once (8 years ago) and the plant grew a bit taller and production was about the same as the Caribbean. The Caribbean pods are a bit wider and a bit shorter in length(nothing to deter me either way). I saw no real difference and the fact I only collected seed from the caribbean is why I only grow the caribbean now.

Sandy

o

Thanks for the info Sandy. Do you remember any specifics on heat level or taste differences when you grew both? I believe I read the Caribbean was much hotter than the Savina...?

Lynn

o

Sign me up! dd

o

Lynn - I don't bite into the habs (as I do w/other peppers)by choice so I really can't say what the difference in heat & taste is. I use them in salsa and sauces with a variety of peppers. Hopefully one of our braver souls that eat habs straight of the plant can say.

Sandy

o

I'm in too! Sign me up, please...

o

Welcome, Dirtdaddy and Julia42! I'll get an email out to you with my mailing address tonight.

Just an FYI, I've had a bit of a family emergency this week, and don't have internet access while at the hospital. So if I don't respond to your post right away, I'm not ignoring you. Hopefully, life will return to normal in a few more days.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
Ricjo22
Dirtdaddy
Julia42

Plus 6 more makes 24.

Goodnight All,
Bonnie

o

Received the first couple of envelopes today! I will put a * next to your name as I receive your envelope. Your envelope has till the 28th to reach me, plan accordingly : )

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
Dirtdaddy
Julia42

Plus 6 more makes 24.

o

Good Morning!

While impatiently waiting for my chinense and baccatum seeds to sprout, I started researching germination times. Here is some information I located on the Trade Winds Fruit website. Thought you guys might be interested.

Peppers species: Capsicum annuum
Germination Time: 1 week- 2 months
Difficulty level: E = Easy (fast, requires little pretreament or experience with seeds, may germinate under widely variable conditions)
Seed Depth: 1/2"
Soil Temp: 75-85F

Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many C. annuum peppers (the most common type) will germinate within a couple of weeks. Tepin and Pequin peppers are the trickiest, generally taking 3-6 months to germinate in warm soil. Do not use acidic soil.

Pepper Species: Capsicum baccatum
Germination time: 2 weeks- 2 months
Difficulty Level: Easy
Seed Depth: 1/2"
Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many will germinate within 2-4 weeks.

Pepper species: Capsicum chinense
Germination time: 3 weeks- 3 months
Difficulty level: E - M = Moderate (slower to germinate (possibly a month or more), but still easy under typical conditions and requires minimal experience germinating seeds)
Planting Depth: 1/2"

Notes: Variable. Chinense species (e.g. Habanero's) generally take longer to germinate than most common peppers. Germination is slower, but usually consistant after a few weeks. Keep soil warm to very warm (75-90F) for better germination. Do not use acidic soil. Some Chinense peppers, in particular Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich and related peppers are very slow to germinate, averaging 1-4 months germination time.

Pepper species: Capsicum eximium
Germination time: 3-12 weeks
Difficulty Level: E-M

Notes: Variable. Use warm (75-90F) soil. Seeds are typically slower than standard garden peppers to germinate and may take up to a few months. Warmth and humidity speeds germination.

Pepper species: Capsicum frutescens
Germination time: 2 weeks - 2 months
Difficulty Level: E

Notes: Variable. In warm soil (75F), many will germinate within 2-4 weeks.

Pepper species: Capsicum pubescens
Germination time: 1-3 months
Difficulty Level: E

Notes: Manzano type peppers usually take up to 2-3 months to germinate under ideal conditions.

Today is day 14, and I see plenty of tails, but no hooks yet. Most of what I've grown in the past have been annums, and germination usually starts on day 10 for me without a heat source. I was worried I had sown them too early, but now I'm glad that I did!

How's everyone else's germination coming along?

Bonnie

o

I had a dozen of them not shed their seed coats and they croaked...couldnt get them off either. Well except one...it's going strong in its own pot, about 2 inches tall. Its a Habanero. Ive never had this happen before :(

I have 1 Ghost with a tail...other than that round 2 has been pretty quiet so far...

Tomatoes thats a different story... I have at least 50, theyre popping out all over.

o

I still just have the 4 seedlings that I mentioned earlier. They need to be repotted already.

One pair of seedlings both have root nodes partway up the stem, like a tomato plant. I hadn't noticed that before on pepper stems but I haven't grown very many varieties. Is that something that is commonly seen on peppers?

o

I would love to join now I just have to find some seeds to trade off that are not on the list and sandy where in mn are you if you ahve to many extras I can always find room

o

Bonnie - Great research, thanks for providing. I have learned too over the years to start Chinense, eximium, pubescens and such in January. I have sprouts but still some waiting - they've been averaging 10-12 days. I did see a Manzano starting to pop this am (day 16), and is the first Manzano to germinate for me - last year nada in the manzano category.

This weekend I'll be starting the baccatum's and each weekend thereafter work my way through mild's and to sweets. Of course when I get seeds from this swap they will be sowed asap and the viscous cycle continues.

Oh - I was at Menards a few weekends ago to get some more potting mix etc. and got talking to a worker. Found out he's originally from Brazil and he asked if I could start him some of his home countries peppers. I said yes and I have 3 varieties of Guyana's he gave me that I planted on Feb 5th. Wish me luck, for after researching them I found out they are very hard to start.... I guess I should have listened to my mom when she said you shouldn't talk to strangers. But hey, I also have received some very flavorful Guyana hot sauce from him and more whenever I want.

David - I'm in Champlin (suburb north of Mpls). Shoot me an email

o

Welcome, David! You do not have your email address listed on your member page. You will either need to add that, or email me through mine, so that I can send you my mailing address.

Counting the participants on the other forum, we are now up to 25 participants!

Here is our current sign up list. An * means that I have received your envelope.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
Dirtdaddy
Julia42
David8n

BTW, a couple of people have emailed me their list of what they are sending, and their wishlist. This is very helpful to me, as I can copy and paste the information directly into the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of everything.

Okay, on a completely unrelated subject, does anyone have any seeds for a colorful popcorn? I think it would be something fun for the kids to grow, but I've only seen seed for sweet corn at the stores around here.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o

I have some Strawberry and some Carousel Popcorn that I dont need. I would gladly trade for Peppers or maybe rare tomatoes.

o

Cool, Fischer! I would love to try them. If you want to email me the tomatoes that you are looking for, I can check my seed box to see if I have any of them. If I don't have them, I can send you extra peppers.

Also, thought I'd let everyone know that a donation came today, and another one is on it's way, in addition to the awesome Smokemaster donation. I am overwhelmed at the generosity of these guys! It is looking like there will be a lot of happy swapppers!!!

o

Counting the participants on the other forum, we are now up to 26 participants!

Here is our current sign up list. An * means that I have received your envelope.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
Dirtdaddy
Julia42
David8n
Simsedward

As I mentioned yesterday, feel free to email your lists to me, that way I can start getting all of the information into the spreadsheet, which will make the sorting go faster.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o
RE: Email Address Needed

Just a reminder, David8n, you have no email address listed, so I am unable to send you my mailing address. Please email me through my member page, so that I can get that to you.

Thanks!

o

Received two envelopes today.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
David8n
Simsedward - please email me so I can send you my mailing address

I have my first sprouts coming up! It's a race between three of them to see which will lose its seed coat first. Be back with pictures later : )

o

We have a winner! It was a race between three different peppers.

#1 Aji Yellow (Sorry the picture is a bit blurry, camera was not cooperating today)

First Sprout

... and here are the runner ups - Aji Picante and Aji Angelo

Runner Ups

I'll check back in after the mail runs today.

For those of you lurking, there is still time to sign up. The deadline for your seeds to reach me is the 28th.

Bonnie

o

Bonnie - mailed my envelope this morning. There's a few extra packets so please use them as you wish. There's also some extra postage so please use that to cover anyones package that may be short.

Thanks
Sandy

o

Sent mine today too...Beautiful Pepper babies..:)

o

Received one envelope in the mail today.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
David8n
Simsedward - please email me so I can send you my mailing address

o

Received 3 envelopes today, and two of them were donations. One was a HUGE envelope full of stuff from Smokemaster. Also, received some super hot stuff from Romy6. Thank you both for your generosity!!!

Here is our current sign up list. We are up to 27 participants. An * means that I have received your envelope.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
David8n
Simsedward

Still plenty of time to sign up!

Bonnie

o

Received one envelope today. Thank you, Amanda, for the popcorn for the kids to grow!!!

Here is our current sign up list. We are up to 27 participants. An * means that I have received your envelope.

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
David8n
Simsedward

Still plenty of time to sign up!

Bonnie

o

Shoot, I was hoping to see an * by my name. I sent out 5 seed packages on Sat morning and everyones received but the one to Bonnie. Hoping because it went west is the only reason it's slower arriving - longer to get over them mountains!!

o

I sent mine out the samy day I think it is just casue we are from MN

o

It's true, Sandy! I do live on the far side of the mountain range from you guys, so that could definitely be a factor this time of year. Plus, I live in a town of less than 3,000, which seems to add an extra day. USPS delivers to the nearest large town, which puts it on a local truck that stops in our little town, which then puts in on the truck that delivers to me.

I'll check back in after the mail comes : )

o

The good news Sandy and David, is that your envelopes arrived today, along with Mary's. The bad news is that neither of you included a wishlist. Please email me your wishlist, or at least let me know if you want sweet, mild, hot, or super hots back, so that I can send you some things you will enjoy. Thanks!

*** Based on what I have received so far, I am adding the following varieties to the NO SEND LIST. If you have not already mailed your seeds, please do not send the following varieties:

Big Jim
Sweet Banana
Corno di Toro
Hungarian Wax
Hot Lemon/Lemon Drop

Again, there is nothing wrong with these varieties, but they are very common, and therefore, readily available at local stores, which means they aren't on most wishlists.

So here's today's list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
Simsedward

o

Received one envelope today.

Here's the list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward

Sowed 34 types of annums yesterday, which brings the total varieties sown so far up to 56. About half a dozen chinense and baccatums have sprouted so far. Love to see those little babies popping up!

Bonnie

o

Hi Bonnie,

Please sign me up, I have a few seeds I can swap and the time is right so Thank You!

Dan

o

Hmmm, I mailed out my seeds 10 days ago. This is a bit concerning. I cleaned out most of my extras too. I hope the post office didn't send it to Siberia :/

o

Good afternoon, Swappers!

Welcome to the swap, Dan! I have emailed you my mailing address. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Received two envelopes today. I'm sorry John, but yours was not one of them : (
I'm sure it will arrive soon, but keep in mind that Monday is a post office holiday.

Here's the list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Scotty66
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
BigDan1

So, speaking of envelopes received, I have hosted swaps for several years now, but this is the first time that I have had numerous people send a bubble envelope inside of a bubble envelope. Please don't go to this extra expense. If it is a bubble envelope, just send a return address label. I will reuse the original mailer. I always keep packing tape on hand, so your seeds will be secure on their trip home : )

On the other hand, I also had someone send seeds in a regular envelope with no bubble wrap around the seed packets. This is not a good idea either. Regular envelopes go through a machine that can crush the seeds if they are not padded with something.

Okay, I'm done scolding now, LOL! I just want everyone to get their seeds back safely, and with as little cost as possible.

Your hostess,
Bonnie

o

My Dad works for the company that made the mail sorting machine for the post office... it is a brutal device. If your handwriting isn't clear, sometimes it will take several trips through it as well...

I made the double bubble mistake :P but better safe than sorry haha. If you like, you can put the original bubble envelope back on the inside ;) But its your call - I'm not worried about it either way.

o

Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 10:55

Bonnie, this is the first time I've sent a bubble envelope inside another one.
I asked DH to pick up one new envelope at Walmart for me to mail my seeds.
He came home with 2 packs of 10 each, plus I have lots of used ones that I recycle.
It was faster for me to put a new one inside the other one instead of printing an address label.

o

Hey, you guys, I purposely didn't single anyone out, so that the guilty could remain anonymous, LOL.

No envelopes in today's mail. We are now up to 30 participants, with a few more days left to sign up. Not bad!

Spent the afternoon walking around down near the Colorado River with the kids, since it's the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend. Yeah, kind of nerdy I know, but the fresh air and time with my little ones was much needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: GBBC '12

o

Being overly cautious is not something I mind being accused of :P no worries.

I'm growing concerned that you haven't gotten my seeds yet. Hopefully they arrive sooner rather than later!

I'm guessing Tuesday in all likelihood (mail holiday Monday no?). But if not keep me posted...

o

Count me in.

o

Welcome, Fanatic!

No mail today, so the list looks pretty much the same:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
BigDan1
Fanatic79

o

Received two packages in the mail today. Ken, you can breathe a sigh of relief now, yours was one of them : )
John, I'm afraid yours has still not arrived.

For those of you whose package I have not yet received, I'll be sending out a reminder email, since there are only 6 postal delivery days left before the deadline.

Here is the list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
*Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
Fanatic79

o

My package was mailed today.

o

For those of you that have not mailed yet, please try to have your package on its way by the end of the week, in order to make it here by the 28th. If you have not signed up yet, but can get your seeds packed up in the next day or two, then please don't hesitate to join.

No envelopes in today's mail.

Reminder emails went out yesterday, and I think I've heard back from almost everyone.

Well, back to researching peppers, and sorting seeds for me!

Bonnie

o

Bonnie - It looks like the mystery of my missing seed package has been solved. The original package turned up in my mailbox yesterday. It appears that the address label fell/was ripped off. The post office then sent it back to me - 2 weeks later with the stamps postmarked so they can't be reused. Gotta love the postal service :/ I sent it back out yesterday, so with any luck it should get to you before shortly.

o

Awww, John, I'm so sorry you had to remail the package. Since you emailed me your lists, I'm already setting things aside that are on your wishlist, so at least the delay won't affect what you get back.

o

Received one envelope today. For those of you whose envelopes I haven't yet received, it would speed up the sorting process, if I already had your lists. If you get a chance, please email me the list of what is being sent, and your wishlist. Thanks!

Here is the list:

Austinnhanasmom/Deb
*Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
Carsons_mimi/Lynn
Ralleia
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
* Fanatic79

When the 28th gets here, I will wait for any envelopes that I know are in route. Anyone whose package has not arrived by then, and has not contacted me yet, I'll have to assume that you have dropped out.

Bonnie

o

Thanks Bonnie!

o

Received Deb's (austinnhanasmom) package today.

I've heard from all but one person, and it looks like most packages are on their way, or will be before the 28th.

This is the part of the swap where my brain starts to hurt from researching all of the new-to-me varieties people send in. One thing that would help speed up that process, would be if everyone double checked their spelling when making the labels for their packets! Also, writing Hybrid when applicable would be greatly appreciated : )

Yes, I would like a little cheese with that whine, LOL!

Bonnie

o

Today, I received three packages, well four actually, if you count the extra postage someone sent in. I'm sure the postman thinks I'm dealing more than seeds at this point!

We also had a couple of last minute additions to the swap.

Here is the list:

* Austinnhanasmom/Deb
* Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
SubruralGirl - Dropped out?
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna
* Carsons_mimi/Lynn
* Ralleia
Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
* Fanatic79
NancyPlants
John11840

Things are starting to come together. I'm excited about how many wishes I will be able to fulfill thanks to all the wonderful, generous swappers!

Bonnie

o

I need some help. I received 5 packages today, but one had no GW name, and I can't figure out who it is. If your name is Reis, and you live in MD, please post here, or email me, so that I figure out if you are from here, or the other forum.

Oh, and John, yours finally arrived. Yippee!!!

Here is the list:

* Austinnhanasmom/Deb
* Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
* Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
Spacetogrow
* SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
Sorellina/Julianna (in route)
* Carsons_mimi/Lynn
* Ralleia
* Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
* Fanatic79
NancyPlants
John11840

Hopefully, I'll have the remaining envelopes by the end of the week. I'll do my best to still mail them back out by the original return date goal of March 5.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o

*Sigh of relief* It's been an adventure - I can't wait to see what is inside when I get it back!

o

I received two packages today. That leaves four more in route. Once they are all here, I will start sending them back out.

Here is the list:

* Austinnhanasmom/Deb
* Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
* Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
* Spacetogrow
* SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
* Carsons_mimi/Lynn
* Ralleia
* Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
* Fanatic79
NancyPlants
John11840

o

Hi Bonnie,

I just want to thank you again for setting up this really cool swap! This is the first one I've ever participated in, and I'm so excited about receiving the seeds.

I really appreciate all your hard work!

Have a great day. =)

o

You're welcome, Violetisme! I really do enjoy being able to fulfill people's wishes. Plus, I always learn a lot each time I host this swap. The number of varieties out there is mind boggling!

Received one package today, and Ralleia your postage arrived.

Here is the list:

* Austinnhanasmom/Deb
* Jsschrstrcks/Ken
* Fischer1611
* Jmj1459/John
* Violetisme
* Ruthz
* Spacetogrow
* SubruralGirl
* Sandysgardens
* Carsons_mimi/Lynn
* Ralleia
* Gardenerz
* Comary
* Ricjo22
* Dirtdaddy
* Julia42
* David8n
* Simsedward
* BigDan1
* Fanatic79
* NancyPlants
John11840

Now to try and figure out how to print labels off the computer. It's sad how technologically challenged I am.

o

No envelopes related to this swap today, but I have been working just about round-the-clock on this swap the past couple of days.

I have labeled and bagged up the following:

From Smokemaster's donation - around 140 packs of seeds

From Elkwc's (from the RMG forum) donation - about 60 packs of some nice NuMex varieties

From my own stash of saved and purchased seeds - right at 90 packs of seeds

I know this seems like a huge number of packs in addition to what's being sent in by all of the participants, but this is what it takes to make up for the overwhelming number of common items, such as Sweet Banana, Hungarian Hot Wax, and Anaheims that are sent in. Don't get me wrong, there have been lots of really cool varieties sent in too, but when people are new to growing peppers, the common varieties are all they have.

So as a result, next year I will instate a NEWBIE RULE. Anyone just getting started will be welcome to join the swaps, but instead of having them send in the common stuff that most newbies have, I'll have them send in just the bubble mailer, return address label, and plenty of stamps and baggies, along with a wishlist, but NO SEEDS. Between donations and my own stash, I'll be able to send them a nice variety without me getting stuck with tons of seeds that nobody else wants.

Anyway, once the last couple of envelopes arrive, I can finish sorting the seeds. I won't have any time to work on them tomorrow, and tomorrow night, I'm having a much needed "ladies night," but I'll do my best to start shipping the packages back out on Monday.

Oh, one more thing. Deb/Austinnhanasmom, who's hosting the tomato swap, got a big surprise when she went to mail the packages back out. The postal service informed her as part of the new price changes, bubble envelopes are now being charged as parcels rather than large envelopes. This means that the number of stamps used to mail your envelope to me, may not be enough to get it back home. I always go in and have them weighed, so I'll know before it goes out, and hopefully no one's package will arrive with a ransom note.

Bonnie

o

I posted this on the tomato swap thread but thought it might be helpful here as well:

According to the current national guidelines, bubble envelopes continue to be considered 'large envelopes', NOT 'parcel' as long as they fit within the following criteria:

less than 15x12x3/4 inch
flexible
less than 1oz (each additional oz will cost 20cents)
As long as the envie meets the criteria, the postage will be 90 cents (2 forever stamps)

I spoke with a rep on the national PO customer service line yesterday. She confirmed the dimentions and criteria for 'large envelope' rates as mentioned above.
She also added that there cant be more than 1/4 inch change in thickness. Meaning one end cant be 3/4 inch and the other end 1/4 inch...basically no lumps... taping down the packets like corrine mentioned.

She seemed quite suprised that any PO would be charging 'parcel' rates for bubble envies meeting the criteria, stating 'This is a National guideline and should not decided on locally...this should NEVER happen'.

She also said that once a (sending) PO has accepted/approved postage, another (receiving) PO cant decide its not sufficient.

She recommended for anyone that is told by a PO that their bubble envie (meeting the criteria) is considered a 'parcel' and will be charged the $1.95 should take a copy of the guidelines with them and ask to speak with a supervisor. If the matter isnt corrected, report them.
Here is the #
800-275-8777
prompt 6
then prompt 4

I know other members have been on this bandwagon for a long time. Its just a shame that some POs cant get it right...according to their OWN guidelines.

o

My post office is using the $1.95 as much as they can and I don't like it either.

Bonnie - I added a bit more postage $ when I sent in, so please use on other envy'a that may need a bit more postage.

To not get worked up about the postage rates, I remind myself that I can't go to the store or buy on-line over 40+ varieties of seeds for $4.00(round trip). Shoot I'd hate to see what 40 varieties would actually cost, especially when some of them are rarer and more costly. So with that said, Thanks everyone (swappers and donators) who sent seeds in, I'm sure we all will be happy with what we get from Bonnie for the postage it costs.

o

B - since I do not need any more seeds ( ;-) ), I am happy with you using all of my stamps to send seeds to someone new to this.

What a mess the postage has become on the tomato swap, but I totally agree with Sandy - no way could we acquire such great seeds for a few dollars. However, if someone was thinking their envie/package (UGH) would cost 2 or 3 stamps, an additional $1.00+ bill could overshadow the seeds inside!

And if I could (which I can't - DH laid down the law) host the tomato swap again, I would try that newbie rule as well. Maybe limit the quantity of same varieties as well. Trudi's going to get a boat load of seeds this year from me!

Thanks Bonnie! I feel your pain! And appreciate all the work.

o

• Posted by Lesuko 5, Boulder CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 11:49

Hi Bonnie,

I am a "newbie" to gardening, and wanted to say that this swap is awesome and that I would have been one to have submitted Anaheim or jalapenos.

This year I had wanted to try starting seeds for peppers and tomatoes and am on this forum for some good ideas for ones that can handle front range weather. Would if be possible to post a list of the non-newbie varieties so I can start researching whether they will work for zone 5?

I was told, and after 2 years of failure believe, that bell peppers or thick-walled peppers dont do well here. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, this is my first time germinating from seed. We do not have a window that gets enough sun so we bought a small grow light. I was thinking of using a heat pad to start the seeds and then moving them under the light to continue growing. Would anyone be able to comment on this? I've read mixed results on seed starting soil and the peat moss cups (?) I've probably researched this for 15 hrs already but as my local garden shop "mentor" keeps saying to me- "Leslie, don't take it personally", I still do.

Bonnie- next year I could definitely help. I'm in Boulder.
Thanks!

o

Lesuko -

I am on the front range as well and have never successfully grown bell peppers. I decided, after much frustration, that I could buy these and now focus on the peppers that are harder to buy.

What I did this year was bleach my pepper seeds prior to germinating. In my past, many of the harder to germinate seeds have formed a mold before sprouting - which just makes me want to cry. This year, after the bleaching process, I had 140 of 150 varieties sprout! And many had very poor germination results noted on the packet. I had great results. Another thing that I noticed was many seeds floated, but have sprouted. I'm not sure they'll become healthy plants, but they look good so far. So, I'm thinking that in the future, I'll not give up on pepper seeds that float.

I find that my peppers and tomatoes need to be started early.

To sprout, I place the seeds in a moistened paper towel and put this in a ziplock baggie. I then put the baggies on a heat tray. Sometimes, these trays can get too warm, so this year I placed something between the tray bottom and the baggies - cotton towels work but may prevent enough heat from getting to the peppers. I add a dome top to create more warmth. Peppers definitely need warmth. I tried to sprout in a warm room, to no avail. Check daily or every other day - and mist the towel to keep moist. When I see the tap root, I transfer to a grow cube, under lights. Once the seedling shows decent top growth, I move the grow cube to seed starting mix. I have had luck directly sowing tomato seeds to the seed starting mix. My peppers seem to require more coddling. Once the seedlings are established in the soil, I have SO many that some end up near windows. The ones near the windows tend to grow tall and leggy - due to lack of light.

I hope this helps.

o

STATUS REPORT:

All packages have now been received!!!

Almost half of the envelopes have been refilled, but I won't seal any of them up until I'm done. Once the refilling is done, I will look at what's left and hopefully be able to add some more extras to everyone's package.

Bonnie

P.S. Deb, I already have quite a few things set aside for you, so you WILL be getting a package back, whether you like it or not, LOL! : )

o

I sent Bonnie a few extra seeds to give away. This evening the original source of several of the varieties I sent Bonnie sent me a picture of the new world record Big Jim Chile. Thought this might be of interest to some on this forum. I'll post a link to his site and just scroll down and you will find it. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile Seeds USA

o

Hi Jay!!! I'm growing a couple of Big Jim's and a couple of Joe's Long (aka Whippet's Tail) this year to see if I can break the world record. Haha! Well, it will be fun trying anyway!

BTW, Jay, did you see that so far I've bagged up over 60 packets from the seeds you sent in? Thank you so much for your generosity!

I am currently filling the last of the envelopes, and then will work on sorting all the leftovers, that weren't on anyone's wishlists. That could take a little while. I'll check back in tomorrow and let you guys know where things stand. Just know that I am working hard to get your packages back out as quickly as I possibly can.

Thanks for your patience,
Bonnie

o

The sorting is complete!!!!!!!!!!

All packages have extras, unless you specifically asked to receive less back than you sent in.

As expected there was quite a few packets leftover after the sorting and wishlist filling was done. I am posted a "last call" list. In order to get the packages out, this offer is only good until the end of the day tomorrow. As soon as I hear from you, I'll add any items you would like off this list, and seal your package up for shipping. Remember, this list is being posted on more than one forum, and it's first come first served, so it's possible your selections might already be spoken for. So here it is:

LAST CALL LIST:

Aconcagua x 2
Aji Dulce
Aji Rojo
Anaheim x 8
Ancho x 4
Atris Hybrid (Sweet)
Aurora (ornamental)
Big Red (bell)
Bhut Joloki x 20
Black Pearl x 5
Cascabel x 3
Chile de Arbol x 3
Chile Negro x 2
Chilly Chile (ornamental)
Chinese Giant (bell) x 2
Corno di Toro (5 red, 1 yell.)
Cubanelle x 5
Fajita Hybrid x 2
Fiesta (ornamental)
Flexum Hybrid (sweet)
Giant Marconi Hybrid x 2
Holiday Time (ornmental) x 2
Holy Mole Hybrid x 2
Hungarian Wax x 3
Indian Jwala x 2
Jalapeno Gigante
Large Red Cherry
Melrose
NuMex Twilight
Peperone Lombardo x 2
Peter Pepper x 2
Pimento L x 2
Puprle Beauty
Puya/Pulla x 2
Red Marconi x 2
Robustini Hybrid
Serrano x 3
Sheepnose Pimento x 4
Sweet Banana x 12
Sweet Chocolate
Sweet Havana Hyb.
Thai Hot
Thai Long
Tobasco
Thai Bird
Tomato Pepper

If you asked for any of these items on your wishlist, than they are already in your package.

Also, there are some peppers that Smokemaster sent in that have a number, instead of a name. These are the same ones as last year, so if you received them, and grew them out, I would love to hear about it.

Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 38638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246

Please post here, or email me if you are interested in them.

o

Sent you a PM

o

I'm interested in any of the Aji's or Marconi's if they aren't spoken for.

o

Hi John! The Aji's are gone, but I put the Marconi's in your package.

UPDATED LAST CALL LIST:

Aconcagua x 2
Anaheim x 8
Ancho x 4
Atris Hybrid (Sweet)
Aurora (ornamental)
Big Red (bell)
Bhut Joloki x 20
Black Pearl x 4
Cascabel x 3
Chile de Arbol x 3
Chinese Giant (bell) x 2
Corno di Toro (5 red, 1 yell.)
Cubanelle x 5
Fajita Hybrid x 2
Fiesta (ornamental)
Flexum Hybrid (sweet)
Giant Marconi Hybrid
Holy Mole Hybrid
Hungarian Wax x 3
Indian Jwala
Jalapeno Gigante
Large Red Cherry
NuMex Twilight
Peperone Lombardo x 2
Peter Pepper
Pimento L x 2
Puprle Beauty
Puya/Pulla x 2
Red Marconi
Robustini Hybrid
Serrano x 2
Sheepnose Pimento x 4
Sweet Banana x 12
Sweet Havana Hyb.
Thai Hot
Thai Long
Tobasco
Thai Bird
Tomato Pepper

Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 438638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246

Got run pick kids up from school, but I'll check back in later this afternoon.

o

I would be interested in all listed below. If available

Black Pearl
Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 438638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246
Indian Jwala
Jalapeno Gigante
Thai Bird
Chile de Arbol

Thanks for all you hard work and dedication to us pepper addicts.

FANATIC79

o

I'd be interested in any of the following that are still available:
Corno di Toro Red
Indian Jwala
Sweet Chocolate
Black Pearl

Thanks!

o

Fanatic79, your selections have been added to your envelope.

I'll be gone for most of the evening, but I'll post an updated list when I get home.

o

I'm interested in these if still available.

Thai Bird
Thai Long
Peter
pulla
jwala

I think I mailed you on THP as well... Just wanted to make sure you get the info :)

o

If they're still available, I would love to have

Corno di Toro yellow
Peperone Lombardo
Red Marconi
Tomato pepper

I hope you get a full night's sleep very soon. Thank you for all the thought and effort!

o

My Cubanelle's failed to sprout. I'll take one!

Thanks Bonnie!

o

Julia, the Sweet Chocolate is gone. The following are being added to your package:

Corno di Toro Rosso
Indian Jwala
Black Pearl

Ken/Jsschrstrcks, the Indian Jwala is already in your package, and the Thai Bird is already gone. The following are being added to your package:

Thai Long
Peter Red
Pulla

Spacetogrow, the Tomato Pepper is already gone. The following are being added to your package:

Corno di Toro Gallo (yellow)
Peperone Lombardo
Red Marconi

Deb, the Cubanelle had been added to your package.

I'll be mailing out all the packages tomorrow for those that have already made their selections from the "Last Call" list. The rest will go out on Wednesday.

Here is what is left:

Aconcagua x 2
Anaheim x 7
Ancho x 3
Atris Hybrid (Sweet)
Aurora (ornamental)
Big Red (bell)
Bhut Joloki x 19
Black Pearl
Cascabel x 3
Chile de Arbol x 3
Chinese Giant (bell) x 2
Corno di Toro (3 red)
Cubanelle x 4
Fajita Hybrid x 2
Fiesta (ornamental)
Flexum Hybrid (sweet)
Giant Marconi Hybrid
Holy Mole Hybrid
Hungarian Wax x 3
Large Red Cherry
NuMex Twilight
Pimento L
Puya/Pulla
Red Marconi
Robustini Hybrid
Serrano x 2
Sheepnose Pimento x 3
Sweet Banana x 12
Sweet Havana Hyb.
Thai Hot
Tobasco

Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 438638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246

o

Hi Bonnie,

If available, I'd love to get these:

Puya
Chile de arbol
Hungarian Wax

Thanks!

o

If any of these are still available, I'd love to try them :)
Aconcagua
Cubanelle
Large Red Cherry
Puya
Sweet Banana
Red Marconi
Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 438638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246

o

I would take some
aconcagua
sweet bannana
Tobasco

if there is any thanks for all your hard work

o

Bonnie,

If these are still available, I'd like to try the following:

Aconcagua
Atris Hybrid (Sweet)
Corno di Toro (red)
Cubanelle
Flexum Hybrid (sweet)
Sheepnose Pimento

Thanks for the last minute offerings!

o

Violetisme, NancyPlants, and David8n ALL of your requested items were added to your envelopes.

I went to the post office in my town to mail envelopes today, and gave her the thinnest one first. She tried to charge me $1.95, so I gave her a copy of the information that Nancy had posted, and she wouldn't even listen to me. She kept shaking her head, saying she didn't know who I talked to, but it wouldn't fit through her machine. She didn't even try to measure the thickness with their little cardboard guide. I'm ashamed to admit, I lost my cool a bit. Took the "package" back, and told her I would go to the post office in the next town where they don't overcharge me! So I did. Gave the guy the same envelope, and he told me it would be $.90!!!! He weighed and measured every single envelope, so no one should get a postage due note from their post office.

There were a couple of envelopes with extra stamps. I apologize that I did not send those back. I put the postage from everyone together in one baggie, and sealed all the envelopes before going to the post office. That way all I have to do is add the required # of stamps as the clerk weighs and measures them.

Here is a list of who's package went out today:

Jmj1459
Fischer1611
Jsschrstrcks
Violetisme
NancyPlants
David8n
Austinnhanasmom
Fanatic79
Spacetogrow
Julia42

Please either post here, or send me an email when it arrives, so that I know it got there okay.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o
RE: Last Call List

Hi Lynn, I just now saw your post. The Aconcagua is gone, but I will add the following to your envelope:

Atris Hybrid
Corno de Torro
Cubanelle
Flexum Hyb.
Sheepnose Pimento

Here is what is left:

Anaheim x 7
Ancho x 3
Aurora (ornamental)
Big Red (bell)
Bhut Joloki x 19
Cascabel x 3
Chile de Arbol x 2
Chinese Giant (bell) x 2
Corno di Toro (3 red)
Cubanelle
Fajita Hybrid x 2
Fiesta (ornamental)
Giant Marconi Hybrid
Holy Mole Hybrid
Hungarian Wax x 2
NuMex Twilight
Pimento L
Robustini Hybrid
Serrano x 2
Sheepnose Pimento x 2
Sweet Banana x 10
Sweet Havana Hyb.
Thai Hot

Pl 260250 (baccatum)
Pl 438638 Very Hot
CO 4548
TC 07246

Remember last call ends at the end of the day today. Then, all remaining packages will be shipped out.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o
Thank you to everyone that participated!!!

I just realized in my hurry to get the envelopes ready to mail, that I forgot to include a handwritten thank you in the first batch that went out. I apologize, and want everyone to know how much I appreciate you being a part of this swap. It is not possible without each of you. I hope that everyone had fun, and receives back items that they will enjoy growing.

Also, big thanks go out to Smokemaster, Romy6, and Elkwc for their generous donations!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!

Your hostess,
Bonnie

o

LAST CALL IS OVER!!!

o

Just returned from the post office. The following people's envelopes were mailed this morning:

Ruthz
SubruralGirl
Carsons_mimi
Ralleia
Gardenerz
Comary
Ricjo22
Dirtdaddy
Simsedward
BigDan1

The last two, Sandysgardens and Sorellina's, will go out this afternoon. I tried to finish them all last night, but I hit a wall, figuratively speaking, and had to go to bed.

Please let me know when your package arrives.

Thanks for joining!

Bonnie

o

The last of the packages went out:

Sandysgardens
Sorellina
John11840

... and one came back.

Violetisme, I'm very sorry, but somehow I either didn't get the return address label on there, or it fell off. I will resend tomorrow. I apologize for the delay.

o

Mine arrived today - WOW - is my first impression!

I could plan my 2013 pepper garden just from this envie!

HUGS to ALL - especially Bonnie!!

Happy Gardening!!

I'll be sending extras next year. THANKS again!

o

THANKS BONNIE!!!! thank you to all the contributors!

All arrived in great shape....very very happy with my package!

Those babies are going straight in the warmer :)

o

I received my package today too! Thanks so much Bonnie - what a great bunch of seeds!! Lots from my wish list and lots I need to research (fun stuff!). Now I just have to figure out which ones I should add to this year's starts!

Thanks also to smokemaster and anyone else who sent donations!!

o

Mine arrived today also. Very nice selection and love the bonus seeds! Thanks Bonnie!

o

not sure why my posts are not showing up. I got the seeds very very happy thanks Bonnie

o

I got the seed pack - WAY more varieties than I was expecting! Too many choices; not enough garden!:)

Thank you to all who participated. Thank you to Smokemaster, Romy6 and Elkwc. And especially thank you, thank you, thank you to Bonnie for so much work!

Happy growing.

o

Thank you so much Bonnie - what a wonderful looking selection! Now on to research & make more room by my sunny windows!!

Thank you also to all who participated & contributed! May all your seeds sprout & produce in abundance :-)

o

Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 10:45

I received my seeds yesterday.
What a wonderful swap. I received almost everything on my wish list and way more than I sent in.
Thank you to Bonnie for organizing this swap and all the hard work and great seeds contributed.
Thank you to Smokemaster, Romy6 and Elkwc for all the bonus seeds, and everyone else that participated.
I've already sowed all the seeds I had intended to for 2012, but this selection may change my mind.
I don't want to wait until 2013 to try some of these.

o

Bonnie,

I received my package of seeds yesterday and was absolutely blown away by the assortment. You could not have done a better job picking varieties for me especially since I hadn't given you any real specifics as to my want list. Another outstanding job (you've really set the bar pretty high for other swaps)!

Special thanks as well to Smokemaster, Romy6 and Elkwc for their extreme generosity which enhanced our swap. Thank you to all who contributed to the swap. This has been a blast!

Lynn

o

Hi Melvin! Seeds arrived today!A nice pick of peppers that I will begin starting next week. Thanks Bonnie, thanks all! dd

o

Got my seeds today! Wow! So many I've been dying to try and some I've never heard of. How fun is that! I'm so excited to get planting! Thanks so much for all your hard work. This has been a great swap and I can't wait till next year.

o

My seeds came yesterday, it was like Christmas. Thank you Bonnie for all the long hours and hard work you put into this swap, not to mention all the bonus and last call seeds. Also Thank you to Smokemaster, Romy6 and Elkwc for sending in donations. I been a garden web / hot pepper forum reader for a few years (finally I registered last month) and have benefited from the above mentioned in pepper knowledge. Happy Growing.

o

Hi Bonnie,
My Seeds arrived Safe and Sound, Lots of cool varieties which like everyone else has left me with way too little garden space. Thanks to everyone who particpated Hope your garden rocks this year.

o

Bonnie got my seeds today! Excellent selection . Thank you. I am determined to grow at least one of every thing but I think I will need to fill a large collection of giant flower pots I have been hoarding to do it. Ric (ricjo22)

o

Bonnie,

A wonderful assortment of seeds arrived on Saturday. I'm in Big trouble now, for I already have over 40 varieties that have germiniated; and on Sunday I started a few varieties from the great seeds recieved! I'll be needing to fill quite a few more 5 gallon buckets this spring!!!

As everyone else has stated, 'You really outdid yourself' and it's much appreciated!!!

Wishing Everyone a GREAT PEPPER season this year!!!

Thanks again to Bonnie, Everyone who donated and particpated!!

Sandy

o

Hi Bonnie,

I just got my seeds and WOW, I'm in heaven right now! =) I never expected to get all of my wishlist varieties, plus all those extra bonuses. Thank you SO much!!!! I'm so happy. =)

A big thank you to Smokemaster, Romy6 and Elkwc for sending in all those bonus seeds. I was a recipient of a lot of them and I'm thrilled to try them out!

Thanks again!

o

Hi Swappers!

Sorry if I haven't responded, but I have been reading your comments, and keeping track of whose packages have arrived. If you haven't posted yet, you should be receiving and email from me. Just want to be sure the seeds get there safely.

So glad that everyone seems pleased with their selections! I really enjoyed hosting the swap again, but have to admit it has been nice getting back to planting seeds, potting up sprouts, cleaning up the garden beds, etc. Too nice to be inside sorting seeds now : )

Hope to see everyone again next year!!!

Your hostess,
Bonnie

P.S. Dirtdaddy, since the peppers have been isolated in the guest room, Melvin's been eating my thyme plant instead. There's more in the herb bed though, so I'm not too upset with him.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here