Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

UPDATE: update: mnf: waiting for spring #3

dan_the_mailman
15 years ago

Well, I see that Linda finished up thread #2, but didn't start us up another one. Hmmm. Maybe she's just too busy FINALLY getting her winter-sowing started! Have you got your hands in the dirt yet Linda?

Here's the original post:

"Waiting for Spring"

Feathery snowflakes, drifting

covering the summer garden

with a deep blanket

of soft downy white

Protecting all that is

beneath it's icy folds,

gently lulling that

which will be born again

Winter winds blow,

yet still, beneath the earth

the flowers slumber

uncaring in their dormant state

Till the Spring sun

melts the snowy cover

and all that is asleep

rises and blooms again!

Sometimes waiting for spring can put you in the doldrums. This month we're all about getting through the "hump month" and into the mild weather of spring. We'll be exchanging garden themed items and seeds. Some examples could be: seeds, ususual seed catalogs or seed writeups, windchimes, bird feeders, gardening tools, treats or whatever it takes to make your partner smile! It can be funny, serious or seriously funny...the sky's the limit! This isn't about expensive boxes just something to keep our minds in the garden and out of the snowbanks. Warm weather states can share their off weather woes too...it doesn't matter where you are, you can still get the "waiting for spring" blues!

THE RULES (horns blowing and the brass band starting up)

#1 You have to be 18

#2 You are to send 5 or more seed packets

#3 sign up's are until the 10th and then partners will be assigned.

#4. The boxes are to be mailed out by January 25th

#5. The confirmation number is to be posted or sent to your partner (people like to know when it's arriving)

#6. This is all about fun and cheering up! Have a good time with it!

Comments (150)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tammy, the rose garden sounds like a perfect idea. I'm starting a Halloween-themed garden in memory of my fiance this Spring. At the time of our accident, we'd already begun to plan it (she loved Halloween like I do). The main thing for you is to do whatever feels right, and if a rose garden is what you want to do, then by all means, go for it.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remember the movie Home Alone? Of course you do! We all do! Well, it seems that the studios first idea was to film a horror movie, but since if was also a Christmas movie, they wisely chose to release the second, kinder, gentler version. Here for your consideration is the poster for the first version of Home Alone, a horror movie even I wouldn't ever have wanted to see...

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"spitting tea across the computer screen"..Dan, you have to stop...ROTF!!!

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Tammy,

The rose garden is a wonderful idea. We did that when we lost Johnathan (he was one of our still born children). We moved from that location twice and have brought parts of the garden with us. We planted several shade tolerant plants under the natural area canopy every where we have moved.

I have a start of a Monet rose if you would like some that another GW member gave me. I potted it in early Dec and it already is growing indoors. It is a yellow climbing rose.

Mark

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Okay....I printed postage by the deadline lol :o)

Kathy, your package will be in the mail tomorrow about noon. Here's the DC

:)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

LOL, Toni! And here I am still waiting on orders!!! If I don't see the first of two orders that I made, that include some things for you,today then I'm calling them tomorrow to find out what's up. I really expected the first one to have been here Saturday. So, hopefully they will get here and I'll have your box on it's way by the end of the week. I'm so sorry for being late!! And very much looking forward to your box!

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Everyone, don't panic...my box is going out late too and I'm the hostess!.."L". Sometimes life likes to mess around with a schedule that you're trying to keep.

Joan, your box should be out today or tomorrow morning at the latest!

Wendy, if you're waiting for seeds for my box "trying to peek over your shoulder" wait till they come so you don't have to mail something again..."S"

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

diene/diene received/sent
    growlikecrazy/Chris received/sent

proudgm swaps with ilovefarac/Melinda

ncgardengirl/fran swaps with greenthumbgrow/Tammy

dan the mailman/dan received/sent
    markcase 1964/mark received/sent

debya/deb sent/received
    mommyto2/monica sent

veeja11/carol sent
    w9yards/diana sent

jaleesia/Kathy
    dirtdiggin/toni sent

cayonwind/annie sent/received
    with nikkineel/nikki sent s

sassybutterfly/wendy swaps with
    lindaruzicka/linda who swaps with
    ejmoore/joan who swaps with sassybutterfly/wendy

If I missed anyone or switched it, let me know...sometimes my delexia shows up.."L"

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Kathy, no apologies necessary...just makes it all the more fun...like a child at Christmas lol :)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Tammy~ A good place to get roses is noreast mini roses (they have an online store, but I forget the website...just google it, and it'll show up). They have full sized roses & miniatures. They are WONDERFUL plants, they arrive extremely quickly & are potted up and healthy.
    They have many different yellow & white miniatures that would be perfect for a memorial garden.
    I bought several last year after I had my miscarriage, and it helps to have something to look at & remember the baby by.

I hope you're feeling better (physically, I know the emotional will take much, much longer).
    Hugs & Prayers for you & your family. :O)

Melissa

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

My seed list as promised ;)
    Monica sent a really nice variety!

Marigold "Scarlet Scarlet"
    Wild Clematis
    Mammoth Sunflower
    Scabiosa "Bevjabis Bonnets" (not sure on spelling)
    Cucumber seeds
    Japanese morning glory "Hatsu Arashi" (can't wait to try these!)
    Wild Rocket/Arugula
    Salvia "Yvonne's"
    Hibiscus "Luna Pink Swirl"
    Poppy "Peony Red"
    Mexican sunflower
    Garlic chives
    mixed zinnia
    Carrot
    Joe Pye weed "Gateway"
    Rudbeckia "Capuchino" "Cherokee sunset" "Double Gold"
    Zinnia "Cherry & Ivory Swizzle"
    Sunflower "Teddybear" "Sunspot"
    Gourd/Straightneck wrenhouse

Thank you so much Monica! I can't wait to winter sow these! Nice selection!

Deb

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Oh MY! Sarah Kate and I just opened our box of goodies from Ann and she went WAY above and beyond...
    She sent:

Garden goodies:
    Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes (huge bag)
    Miracle grow (huge bag)
    8, yep 8, 5 inch transplant peat pots; This is really going to help with those plants with tender root systems which resist transplanting
    Really nice garden gloves
    Outdoor Thermometer
    Woodpecker Treat Suet; Annie loves to hear them pecking and so do I!!!
    Simon and Schuster's Guide to Garden Flowers - 507 pages of everything you need to know about everything you need to know. This one's going on my nightstand by my bed!
    Hummingbird Nectar
    A Whole pack of plant markers - the ones with the large square at the top, just what I need!!!!
    Several masks to wear when putting out seven dust. Now I try to stay away from chemicals for the most part but in the South it is inevitable to spray a little seven dust when the Japanese beetles get out of control. I will really appreciate the mask on just such an occasion! It will also help when spreading lime and other fertilizers.
    A beautiful notebook with floral printed paper for making my notes, lists, etc. The cover is a tapestry of flowers.

To help me while I wait for spring:
    Double Spice Chai Black Tea. I just ran out of "special tea" and this is a blessing.
    Jamaica Coffee - Special because it reminds me of my honeymoon in Jamaica!
    Pretty napkins with a lemon, lime, and flowers (colors of spring)
    A cute little flip flop candle holder with tea light
    "Sweet Daydream" body butter. The note attached said "Daydream and just wait for spring"

Anne knows I LOVE callas and sent me a brand new bag of 3 bulbs for spring planting. I will plant those with the ones she sent in another swap! I love them! Gorgeous!

And seeds!!!!
    Cosmos "Seashells mix"
    Sweet Rocket Violet (Heirloom)
    Gallardia "Fanfare"
    California Poppy
    Hyacinth Bean (Heirloom)
    Cleome "Pink Queen"
    Bupleurum rotundifolium - Green Gord
    Blackberry Lily
    Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate Variegated
    Gallardia- Burgandy
    Cup and Saucer
    Cup and Saucer Vine
    "White Cloud" Peony Poppy
    Shasta Daisy "Crazy Daisy"
    Sweet Pea "Royal Red"
    Sweet Pea "Matucana"
    Sweet Pea "Old Spice"
    Sweet Pea (Heirloom) "Pink Cupid"
    Sweet Pea (Heirloom)"America"
    Pepper "Marconi Red"
    Pepper "Alma Paprika"
    Tomato (Heirloom) "Thessaloniki"
    Dill "Bouquet"

For Sarah Kate:
    A notepad with a pic of a German shepard -is it yours? She sent a sweet note for SK from her "babies" requesting a report of how they all grow - she takes this very seriously -expect an email over the summer :)

Seeds:
    Heirloom Tomato "Blondkopfchen"
    Radish "Cherry Belle"
    Mexican Hat Prairie Coneflower (red)
    Tomato "German Giant"
    Green Bean "Oregan Blue Lake"(pole type)

This was such a nice selection and some new ones for me to try as well as some of my most wanted "wishes". Thanks also for the heirlooms - now I have a few more! I could go on and on but I'm off to Dianeseeds.com to check out some of the pics of these beauties (Can you tell I'm excited). Oh and since we are in similar zones Ann, can you tell me how you germinate your sweat peas? I can't wait to see them! Nik

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Linda ~ good news ! Your 'special' seeds finally came today! lol I'm gonna toss them in, tape it up and it'll be on it's way to you tomorrow a.m. Thanks for being patient!

GREAT boxes everyone!!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• w9yards
    15 years ago

Carol I got my box today thank you so much! It was cold for us today, a high of in the 50's ,and a little light rain, so it was fun to have a box to open! I received

Many packages of garden markers which I really needed! I had been writing on the sides of pots, and using some old ice cream sticks!

Little plastic envelopes for seed saving, which I am a beginner at.

Gladdiolus and tulip bulbs

Lots of seed packets which I am going to get busy and plant!

A lovely garden journal

A nice cup with cinnamon apple tea

Hydrangea and lilac bath products

Several cute garden ornaments including a turtle, dragonfly, a house, a garden banner, and a little magnet.

This is the first exchange I have done and I must say it was so much fun to fill the box and send it and then see what came in the mail!

Thanks again Carol!

Diana

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

everyone is sending great boxes..I love to see what everyone else gets..."S"

and Wendy...you really have my curiousity up! (can't sleep, it's 5am and can't spell either....LOL)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

nyah nyah nyah nyah Linda ~~~~ I'll post the DC# later this afternoon for ya. I hope you enjoy everything! :)

Have you heard from Joan recently?

Hugs everyone!
    Wendy

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Melinda and I are still waiting for some deliveries before we send. Also, I believe she is out of town. We have around 3 inches of sleet here and it's not expected to stop until midnight tonight. Guess I'll be having a few days off!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    The boxes all sound wonderful! Linda, there's no rush on my box. The longer before it leaves, the longer I have to look forward to it! :)
    I also was late and have begged Wendy's forgiveness! Just got her address today and I'm mailing her box after I leave here. Good thing I'm using the flat rate box! This baby is PACKED! Hope she likes it all!
    This public computer use is the pits! Guess I'm gonna have to break down and get me a new one. sigh
    Tammy - again, my prayers are for you and your family.
    Dan and Mark - you two keep those funnies coming! Ya'll really cheer me up!
    It's 70 degrees here today but they're forecasting the "S" word tonight and tomorrow! That'll be a 40 degree plus drop..... whew!

Take care all!

Joan

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi Joan! :P I didn't realize you were computerless... whatta nightmare! (to me anyways..lol) Glad to hear from you anyway you can get here tho!

Linda ~ UGHH!! I came on here to post the DC# and realized I left it in the van. Sooo I'll be back again later to post it! :P

I got a new book of stamps today.. and they're all sunflowers! Made me 'feel' like Spring a bit!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

okay Joan, here's your DC# 0308 1400 0000 2932 4615...hope you like everything!

Wendy, I"ll be looking for your box...not at all excited..nope not me..."giggling behind hand"...

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Dan, I love your graphics !! gor my box from Diiane today, wonderful box,
    honey pot sucker, tasty but a bit tough
    homemade peach, cinammon clove soap
    jiffy greenhouse
    woodpecker suet
    bird seed bell
    seeds, lettuce, blue flax, blue bachelor buttons, forget me nots, onions, blue fescue. happy almost spring card. oriental lily bulbs lavender calla lillies thankyou Diane. I love my goodies I'm ready for the next swap.This is a very thoughtful box. everyone in this group seems to send wonderful thoughtful boxes. I think Mark probably looks like the brown one and Dan the kermit one. also wondered what Mr, Bush was doing now, thanks for showing us. hugs to all carol

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I just wanna say that ice storms are really annoying. Not snow.. just freezing rain and sleet. The sleet is really getting on my nerves with the sound it makes coming down. Why can't I live somewhere normal where they have real snow? We've got about 1/4-1/2 inches of ice covered by several inches of accumulated sleet.

At least we still have electricity and my freezer and pantry are full.

I was so worried about Cliff out delivering mail in this. Not for him having to drive in it, because he's an excellent driver, but for the other 'idjits' who have no clue how to drive on ice. But, he made it home safe and was actually home about 3 hours earlier than I expected.

It *looks* like a winter wonderland out there.. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

I don't mind getting snow. I love snow. It's all this blasted ice!

Kathy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Oh Fudge! I knew I'd forget to walk outside and get the DC# to post for my box! argghh'ing @ myself....

Carol ~ you lucky lady! You got homemade soap!! That is one craft that's on my learn and do list.. (someday!)

Kathy ~ I know how crazy those ice storms are! We used to get them quite regularly but for the last 2-3 years, not a bit of it! They did make for some gorgeous pics tho.. even icicles hanging off your garbage can are actually kinda pretty! hehe

Soooo I guess I'll go out in the COLD and get the DC# to post.. whine whine.

Really I'm giggling... all's normal in a day in the life o'Wendy!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am definately going to do the rose garden for the baby. I think it will give me someway to feel connected and remember him.

Mark - I would love the yellow Monet climbing rose. Just let me know how much shipping is and I will send it to you.

Bunny - Thanks for that website. They have a lot of nice roses at a really great price. i seen a couple I am going to order.

Fran - I feel bad about you not getting to swap this month. I have most of your seeds ready from last week when we were talking and would like to send it out next week. I know it is late but I would still like to send it. I am trying to get back to as normal as I can with "lite duty" instructions.

I don't understand how anyone can be on lite duty when you have two kids under 5 but I am doing my best.

kathy - I am in the same thoughts as you. We got a little S"word" and then the rain and ice is suppost to start tonight. i am keeping my fingers crossed that we only get the S"word".
    BTW - if you post those pics Linda might have something to say about that... hehe but I would like to see. shhh

• w9yards
    15 years ago

Carol I am glad you got your box! I am already planting some of the seeds you sent me today! I hope you were joking about the sucker being tough....It was for your dog! I forgot to mention the candy you sent. I have been enjoying the creme filled kisses while I was working in the garden. Thanks again!

Diana

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"whispering so Dan doesn't hear"...soooooo..what does everyone do with the uncancelled stamps that sometimes come through on your exchange bubbles?..'whistling and looking up at the ceiling".....just wondering..."hiding peeled off uncancelled stamps behind back"...

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OH Linda, you mean that happens to you? Wow aren't you lucky? ;)hehe

:) Fran

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Heh.. I use them with Cliff's blessing. He says if the clerks would do their job right it wouldn't happen. They aren't stamped and canceled, so they are still viable. Perhaps it's morally wrong, but not legally. It's also morally wrong the way they over charge so many BEs as parcels rather than large envelopes as well. And, like Dan, I can say that from the perspective of someone who's living is dependent on postage.

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda, I heard you!!!!!
    And by the way, when I get unused stamps, from wherever, I use them again. Just a reminder though, DO NOT tape them on the next package! They won't go through. If the front of the stamp isn't cancelled, but the sticky back won't stick, then use some glue to attach them and let the glue set up before putting it into the mail stream.

{{gwi:1237880}}
    Now, I need some advice from you all. I've got a smallish (about 10 inches tall) black pine tree I want to use in a bonsai project. The only thing is, it's drying out and the needles are falling off. I keep it watered, and mist it 2 or 3 times a day, but the house is extremely dry. Any ideas on how to save the poor thing? Will it come back? The 6 japanese birch trees I have in the same pot are doing great, leafing out and everything. But I'd like a small pine tree in this miniature forest. Any ideas???

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Dan,
    try sitting it on a bed of pebbles and keep the pebbles moist..

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Dan-I'm thinking it needs moist cold for this time of year. Sorry to say but from my experience, once they start to go bad...it's tough to stop them. We have grown a number of Noble Fir, Ponderosa Pine and other evergreens. Not quite sure how old your pine is, but they tend to need that moist winter cold to survive. I could be way off base, but I know the nobles and ponderosa die inside in the winter.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I have gotten several trade envies that have not been cancelled. I reuse them. I figure it all comes out even in the end with what I've been overcharged. Saw a show on "How Its Made" today about the post office and how they sort and cancel mail. Yikes, those machines are scary! No wonder we occasionally get shredded mail. Those letters run through the machines so fast it's a wonder any mail ever gets where it's supposed to go. Ah, the wonders of technology. But just think how many people they could employ if they would lose the machines.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Dan, a cool mist vaporizer might be your best chance for it right now. You'll probably still get some needle drop.. but might save the tree. Put it a few feet away from it and leave it on while you're at work. It should hold at least 8 hours of water. Set the pot near a window where it'll still get that chill, or if you have a room that's generally cooler than the rest, set it up in there.

I got Toni's Box! YAY!!!!!!! It's a really wonderful box!!!
    Toni sent me:
    A pair of heavy gardening gloves
    Some adorable tie die shoe laces- my daughter is already laying claim to them!
    Two packages of cider or wine spices! They smell delicious and I can't wait to make some! I've not had spiced wine or cider in a looooong time!
    a pot sized package of Colombian Supremo and one of French Roast coffee!
    A bunch of Bliss dark chocolates and dark chocolate truffle Kisses
    Seeds:
    Hollyhock- Rosea'Nigrea
    Blue Clitoria Vine
    Eightball Zucchini
    Viola- Black Bowles
    Pumpkin- Sugar Pie
    Round Zucchini
    Winter Helleborus
    Lobelia- Chrystal Palace
    Snapdragon- Black Prince
    Balloon Flower
    Bean - Asparagus-Yard Long
    Peas - Oregon Sugar Pod
    Poppy- Black Peony
    Snowberry
    Foxglove- Purple
    Gomphocarpus "Hairy Balls"
    Clitoria Vine- Double White Lady
    Hollyhock- Black
    Stevia

And along with the Stevia... she also sent me a cutting of stevia!!!!!! I'm so excited about this!

Thanks for such a wonderful box, Toni!!!!! Especially the Stevia! And I may even see about another cutting from you later, even if this one does make it. My bunch likes sweet tea, so it usually takes more than one plant to keep up with them :)

As I explained to Toni in an email, I'm still waiting for a second order I placed to come in. It has a couple of things that I've enjoyed and hope that she will as well!

Thanks again!!

Kathy

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I've never noticed any stamps that weren't cancelled... hmmm, I'll be on the look out for just such an occasion. Great box Toni. Kathy I hope that box cheered you up a little and that your pain is easing off. I think about you all couped up and in bed. Still praying for healiing for you!
    Linda, I was scrolling "up" when catching up on all of the post and yours really grabbed me...
    "Dan,
    try sitting it on a bed of pebbles and keep the pebbles moist.." Imagine my curiosity... Keep those pebbles moist Dan!
    Love hearing about all these great boxes! Nik

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

LOL@Nikki..err...I was talking about his tree. Wait, that doesn't sound good either..."ROTF"...I know when I had problems keeping a plant moist, I often set it on a dish of pebbles and it helped....won't hurt...

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

nikkineel, keep an eye on those stamps. About every other package I receive has stamps that haven't been cancelled. I don't know if it's the particular hub it goes through or if trainees get the pkgs or what...but I get a bunch of them...hey not complainin ;)

One of my round robin packages arrived the other day...all 4 stamps were in perfect working order lol. HEHE my own stamps came back to me hehe. Kinda helps make up for being overcharged for my Kathy- I'm glad you are enjoying your package :) It sure was fun putting it together! My little one and I had a ball! He has become my big time helper over the years and loves to participate.

Toni

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Dan, your tree will die in the house. your best bet is to put it outside, you can't mist a pine tree. junipers and pines do not live indoors, you can bring it in for short periods only. Diane I also forgot to thankyou for my milk chocolate kisses. they are delicious. it took me a lil while to realize the sucker was for the dog. but did figure it out before trying it, just joking with you. tiyli says thankyou and it is not tough at all. thankyou hugs carol

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi all!!!
    Just popping in to say hello and to let Deb know that I got the box yesterday! :)
    She sent me the cutest ornament for the garden. It's a little birdhouse that I'm going to put it in a very special place. She also sent me some calla lily bulbs (one of my favorite bulbs!!!) some hyacinth bulbs as well as a seed grown amaryllis and last but not least a bag full of seeds!!!!
    I can't wait to see them grow Deb, thank you!!!!!
    I will post the list when I get a chance. I'm taking advantage of the warm weather to expand a flower bed in the front yard. And it feels so good to be outside that I haven't done much in the house.
    Behave everyone!!!

Monica

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

So I read some scary news today...lol The USPS is considering stopping mail service on Saturdays to save money vs. raising stamp costs (again!) It wouldn't really affect me except when I'm waiting on seeds! Wait.. that's every week...lol

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28897426/?GT1=43001

Linda ~ here's your DC# 0308 0660 0000 8837 4197
    FINALLY remembered to bring it to the computer! lol I'm also sending a separate envy in the mail.. STILL had more things come in after I mailed the box!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I GOT MY BOX FROM JOAN!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She sent me an amazing box..and I'm not just sayin' that to be kind either..lol I was really WOW'ed and am truly thrilled by all she sent!! Here's my list o' goodies!

Absolutely GORGEOUS copper fairy windchime ~ my mom collected windchimes and I'm also a collector myself.. this will be a perfectly fitting addition to my collection! THANKYOU SO MUCH!!

Bag of Dutch Iris (mixed colors) :) :) :)

Chinese Trumpet Lily 'Golden Splendour' - absolutely gorgeous!

Allium Aflatunense - I am stoked about this one! My daughter will be thrilled too!

Box of Freesia bulbs - YESS!!!! I've heard these are fragrant so I am so happy w/ these!

A gorgeous garden journal w/ a beautiful pic of a butterfly's wings on the cover.. THRILLED w/ this present as well.. I was just looking at Target yesterday for something that I could use as a journal!

Butterfly gardening gloves ~ I'm tickled w/ these.. cuz they're covered in butterflies! lol

A beautiful 'corner' bookmark w/ flowers and beaded ribbon.. this is gorgeous, and I read aLOT so this will definitely become a favorite!

Very cool garden art plaque that I think will go on our porch wall, ty!

Lots of dark chocolate goodies.. mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Bag of white plastic plant markers, YAY! I've never actually had REAL plant markers before..lol Have been using the cut mini-blind slats. TY!

Very cute hummingbird/flower plant stake that will look lovely in a potted plant setup.

3pk of lovely scented candles that I smelled as soon as I opened up the box!

SEEDS:
    Eyeball Plant (my son gets a kick outta these!)
    Datura Wrightii
    Blue Tie-Dye Morning Glory (yayy!!)
    Fortnight Lily (THANKYOU!! Really wanted to try these!)
    Sunflower Autumn Beauty - will go wonderful in my mom's memorial garden this year:)
    Siberian Iris - must have addition to my new Iris/DL bed!
    Purple Aster - just perfect for around my mailbox, my mom painted the mailbox a BRIGHT blue so the colorclash will be PERFECT!
    Chocolate Mint - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    Rain Lily - didn't know what this was and now that I've googled it I've decided it's a new must have! lol ty!
    Zinnia 'Giant Purity' - PERFECT ! TY!
    Orange Butterfly Weed
    Salvia Bonfire
    Cosmos Seashells
    Cottage Garden Wildflower mix
    Sunflower 'Lemon Queen' - another memorial garden addition!
    Zinnia 'Candycane mix' - perfect cuz I just traded my only stash! lol
    Morning Glory 'Pearly Gates' :)

Thankyou so much Joan, you did a WONDERFUL job on choosing items I truly love!

~Wendy

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

I have not checked in on this thread for a few days...So many incredible boxes!!!!

Nikki, will email you soon....must run!

Happy Thursday!

Annie

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"jumping up and down"..my box came...have to go and open it!!!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Linda ~ don't forget you have MORE seeds coming your way via envy too! lol I swear I always forget something that's supposed to go in my box! lol

~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not gonna say who it came from, but I received a box today from someone, and in it was a ball for the cats, a handmade, beautiful, warm blue scarf (I'm already using this!), and seeds galore. I'm not gonna say who sent it, but I did want to make a public THANK YOU to a SUPER COOL person!!!
    Yep, I'm grinning!!!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    Wendy, I'm sooooo glad you liked everything! I tried to check your trade list and send things you wanted! I really had a great time putting it together for you. :)
    I received my box from Linda today and it was AWESOME!
    The box was covered in flower & butterfly stickers with my name on a green label! Really pretty and brought a smile to my face before I even opened! She sent me:
    a mini purple basket decorated with flowers and containing 2 mini terra cotta pots with anemone & grape hyacinth grow kits!
    A little silver sign saying "play with abandon" - love it!
    a blue crystal necklace strung on blue suede - really pretty!
    the cutest garden sign saying "garden of weedin'" - so true!
    a mini blue watercan - cute!
    a pack of 25 plant label sticks w/pencil - always needed
    a whole pack of beautiful butterfly stickers - I'll be able to decorate my next trade box now! :)
    a mini burlap sack with honey & almond bath soak - heavenly
    (3) candles - 2 yellow - honeysuckle & sun kissed cotton
    & (1) green - garden fern scent - my whole box smelled great!
    a beautiful card & seeds!
    marigold
    Tenn. coneflower
    balloon flower
    cosmos
    blue morning glory
    small red canna
    dahlia
    crimson clover
    Yeah! - love them all! & also (8) beautiful handmade seed envelopes for me to use in trades - decorated with flowers & birdhouses!
    Thanks so much Linda! It was truly great!
    Dan, that sounds like a very thoughtful gift. We seem to be blessed on this site with some really wonderful people!

Take care all!

Joan

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

well...I opened up Wendy's box and was blown away...my family is saying that my eyes are glazed from overload..."L"

Here's what's in my box:
    a butterfly wind sock on a stick
    an angel statue (I'm going to put it in the remembrance rose garden for my grandmother)
    gorgeous butterfly windchimes made out of gems (all sparkly and shiny)
    ceramic mushroom (it's so cute)
    hose guide
    stump planter with blue bird (it's adorable)
    goldfinch pothanger (already hanging)
    jiffy pot pellets 2 (I've never seen these before, they're cool)
    note cards with matching flower pens (you can never have enough of these)
    lavendar Fields fragrant sachet (in my closet)
    raspberry garden green tea
    chocolate hazelnut tea (can't wait to try these)
    tea coupons
    AND Bunch Flowering tulips

and then there's the SEEDS! (I swear I started drooling)
    mexican cigar plant
    plumbago
    blue angel viscaris
    coleus rainbow mix
    dwarf MG
    moss rose double (drool)
    lt blue joker pansy
    zinna red spider
    dwarf teddy bear sunflowers
    farewell to spring godetia
    cosmos
    lilac
    bleeding heart
    cleome rose queen
    lady lavendar (drool)
    thyme
    russian sage (more drool)
    peppermint stick zinna (flooding the floor)
    nastrurtium Empress of India (WOW)
    sugar snaps
    viola charityland
    Mt. Bluet
    catnip
    Isisensata mixed (gotta look this up)
    schizanthus (gotta look this up too!)
    Himalayan poppy (drool, drool)
    sweet annie artemisia (love this, used ot use it in the flower shop)
    chicory
    Bird's eye (overtime drool)
    blk eyed susan vine
    california poppy
    clarkin Mt garland (sounds interesting)
    english lavendar (yummy)
    lemon Mint
    alyssium goldea tuft (I have never seen this)
    viola bowles black
    berlandiera Ivriata (another looker up)
    oregano
    scarlet sage
    geranium splish splash
    AND
    Ptilotus exaltus Joey ****FAINT****

I'm in seed heaven...what a wonderful box Wendy, I'll be playing for days! Thank you so much! ((HUG))

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

LoL glad you're happy linda! My handwriting stinks so let me elaborate a bit on a few..lol

the Berlandiera is the Chocolate scented Daisy. The Mtn.Garland is 'Clarkia' Mtn. Garland. Alyssum Golden Tuft is another one..Iris Ensata..lol

The Joey and the Himalayan Poppy were the ones I was waiting forever on! You've also got some Coleus Chocolate Mint on its way in the mail to ya w/ a few others..lol . I never know when to stop! :P

Hugs,
    Wendy

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"fixing seed names"..okay got it! I still have some to look up and check out. That's part of the fun!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Great boxes!

So Linda, does this mean you're going to wintersow some of those seeds? ROFL

Tonight I did some gardening while Stella fell asleep on my foot. I planted white birch trees (these'll make great plants for trading in the summer!), eyeball plant, bush witches broom, dragon-tongue green beans, burgundy blanket flower, coleus rainbow mix, chinese witch hazel, black hollyhocks, red bat-faced cuphea, and yellow coneflower. These all will be growing in the house until I can set them outside. I need plants growing indoors right now!
    Then, (to the dismay of Stella, who I woke up because I had to get up and move around) while looking over my "gardens", I saw coming up some eggplant, basil, lemon cukes, black cherry tomatoes, and ildi tomatoes. I'm growing all these in my miniature "greenhouse", hoping to have fresh vegetables in a few months!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

oh Wendy, "said quietly"..there's a snake in my tulips...an orange one...know anything about that? "raising eyebrow"..."G"

okay Dan, I have all my swaps caught up until the first week on Feb...I will WS this weekend...I have volunteers to cut my containers..."sticking out tongue and making raspberry sound"...