Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

NEW: Incredible Edibles: Seed Clean Out Swap

sunnyk
13 years ago

Happy New Year to All of my Fellow Gardeners! And Welcome to our 3rd Annual Seed Clean Out!

It is the time of year when many of us start planning our gardens and ordering our seeds.So this is the perfect time to go through last years seeds and clean them out to make room for this years orders and acquisitions .

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS:

This will be for edibles only. These can be vegetables, fruits, herbs and edible flowers.

Please no seeds older than 2008

This is truly meant to clean out your stash of seeds.

Since it is a seed clean out, there is a good chance of you getting less seeds back than you sent in. Unwanted and extra seeds are being donated to Need4Seed, an organization that distributes seeds to those in need. So this is a great way to get some new (to you) seeds for your stash, but

mainly to help out those who really need it :)

Please send a list of seeds that you have sent in, along with a list of seeds you do not wish to receive back. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on the list.

Also, please send a list of the types of seeds you would like to receive back. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on this list.

Make sure to update your trade list and want list on the Gardenweb!

Please send seeds to me in a Bubble Envelope.

You will need to send me a Return Address Label, and enough postage to get your package back to you. So whatever it costs to get it to me is what you should include for the trip back :)

Once I go through all of the seeds, and pack up all of the envies, I will take the leftovers and post a 'Going Once Going Twice' thread. To keep things moving along, I will keep it updated for 3 days. If there is anything on the list that sparks your interest speak up and I will add it to your stash on a first come first serve basis...after 3 days whatever isn't claimed will be sent along to Need4Seed.

I will hold sign ups until January 20. On January 21st I will e-mail all participants my address. Please then have the seeds in the mail by the 28th so they have a chance at getting to me by January 31. The first week in February will start the "Going Once, Going Twice" posts. I hope to have the seeds go out during the second week in February.

Here is to a Bountiful 2011!!

SunnyK

Donna

Comments (84)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more hours to sign up folks!!

I am sending my address to those who have signed up already now ....just in case it really does snow tonight and I get involved with doing snow type things :)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

My package went out this afternoon. Threw a little extra postage in to go towards sending the leftovers to Need4Seed : )

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bonnie :)

• plant-one-on-me
    13 years ago

Wow! I really cleaned out. Looks like I will be sending in around 100 packs.

I don't want to start anything but I really only want very few seeds back and hope I can get just a few seeds of these if anyone has some...

Romanesco broccoli (broccoli/cauliflower mix)
    Any odd colored broccoli or cauliflower
    bush melons
    bush cucumbers

I really only need 5 or so seeds of each. Thanks Kim

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Kim...Excellent!! Need4Seed is going to be getting a really nice big box from us this year for sure :)
    And I will definitely keep an eye out for those things that you are looking for :)

SunnyK
    Donna

• plant-one-on-me
    13 years ago

What is the best way for me to send these? I've never sent out so many seeds before. Box or XL padded envelope? Kim

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you could do the XL Bubble envy that would be great!!But if you can only do the box I can handle it :)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seeds are starting to make their way to me!! Yay!!
    I will start posting here from whom I have received so far.

farmergirl2009/Ellie - received
    Sorellina/Julianna - received
    highalttransplant/Bonnie - received
    plant-one-on-me /Kim
    Shanta/? - received
    dieg01991 / Amy
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ?
    christine00 / ?
    sassybutterfly_2008 / Wendy
    jessew/ ?
    lisa831/Lisa
    clay_lady/?
    booberry85/ Becky - received
    jodie74/ Jodie
    neohippie/ Amanda

• plant-one-on-me
    13 years ago

My XL envelope of seeds went out yesterday.
    DC 0310 2010 0001 9335 1120

Donna, I only need the seeds I requested to be sent back in the small envelope I provided. If there is extra postage, send to N4S.

Kim

• neohippie
    13 years ago

I sent my package yesterday so it should be getting there soon.

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Mine went out in Tuesday's mail so they should be arriving soon...

THANK YOU!
    Jodie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

My package is finally complete and will be going out priority tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance!! :)

• dieg01991
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Wow, you are all so on the ball! I feel like I'm way behind. I had all my seeds packed up and ready two weeks ago. Then work and life got crazy and I haven't had a spare second to get to the P.O. Well, I will mail tomorrow on my way out of town. You should receive them early next week.

Amy

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Guys!! And thanks Kim for the extra postage for Need4Seed, I am absolutely sure they will be thrilled to get it as every bit helps.

As far as packages go ,we got dumped on with snow ...again,18 inches , on top of the 3 from Tuesday and the 4 from earlier on Wednesday(news is saying this has been our snowiest January ever)...and we are in for another inch tonight(pshh) 1-3 inches tomorrow (mere child's play) and another BIG 'UN mid week....sooooo....the mail may not run as clockwork-like as I want. But as soon as your seeds arrive I will update.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess I spoke too soon LOL!! The mail finally made it thru!

so here is our updated received list

plant-one-on-me /Kim
    Shanta/? - received
    dieg01991 / Amy
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ?
    christine00 / ?
    jessew/ ? - received
    lisa831/Lisa
    clay_lady/?
    jodie74/ Jodie- received
    neohippie/ Amanda

We are off to a fantastic start :)

Donna

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I can not even imagine 18" at once!! WOW... We had nearly 5" and everything was closed down.. u know us southerners don't know what to do when that white stuff comes down! lol But 18"??? WOW... just WOW!

~Wendy

• dcj24
    13 years ago

Seeds going out tomorrow.

• lisa831
    13 years ago

Put package in the mail today. Sorry for being late.But it may get to you by Monday.

Lisa

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No problem Lisa...it looks like with all the snow we have gotten that this swap is going to run a few days behind anyways....I hope that is okay with everyone.
    I prominse that as soon as all the seeds are in I will get them back out as soon as I can. Only issue will be if the mail gets bogged down (and I am hoping it wont) :)

Donna

• clay_lady
    13 years ago

My seeds went to the post office Friday

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Looks like we're NOT going to be spared this next storm. We should get hit with 1' of snow and then maybe freezing rain.
    ~sigh~

I think this will bring our snow totals for the season up past 120". Another 77" of snow for the season and we can break a record! The arctic isn't melting it just shifted to upstate NY!

Happy Gardening (at this point its all virtual!)

• dieg01991
    13 years ago

HI everyone,
    I meant to mail them on Friday on my way out of town, but the PO wasn't open yet. So, my husband mailed them for me on Saturday. Hopefully you will get them today or tomorrow.

Amy

• booberry85
    13 years ago

This is totally OT, but I figured since I posted my whine yesterday (Yes, I do want cheese with my whine!), I'd post about some good will I saw this morning on the way into work.

It was a terrible ride into work. We didn't get a lot of snow yet (maybe 2-3") but I think the plows are saving their energy for later. So the roads were a mess. Last week, the DH and I traded in 2 cars for a Honda CR-V with 4 wheel drive (Hurray! I love it.) Anyway, I didn't have a lot of trouble but other cars did. A Honda Civic (what I used to have) was stuck in the muck trying to make it up a hill. You could smell the rubber of the tires burning and see the wheels spin (She wasn't off the road. The roads hadn't been plowed.) Traffic was backed up behind her. An SUV pulled over to the side of the road and parked. Three guys got out and pushed the Honda uphill until she got traction again! Hurray for those three unsung heroes. It did my heart good to see it. To give you an idea of how bad it was out there and how bad traffic was jammed up, it took me an hour to travel 12 miles! I know I can walk 3 miles and hours!

Anyway it was great to see some good will out there.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The weather is nasty today...we got a few inches of snow but it looks like I am in for mainly sleet and freezing rain. I hate that, I would take 2 feet of snow over any ice at all. :(

Okay, enough of that misery....here is the list of who I have received from so far. :)

plant-one-on-me /Kim - received
    Shanta/? - received
    dieg01991 / Amy - received
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ?
    christine00 / ?
    jessew/ ? - received
    lisa831/Lisa
    clay_lady/Lynn - received
    jodie74/ Jodie- received
    neohippie/ Amanda - received

a few more days and they all should be here....then the fun really starts :)

Donna

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Just checking to see if mine arrived today! I had hoped it would arrive yesterday! :)

~Wendy

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are almost there....just waiting on 2 envelopes :)
    Sorry Wendy...not here yet.

Shanta/? - received
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ? - received
    christine00 / ? - received
    jessew/ ? - received
    lisa831/Lisa - received
    jodie74/ Jodie- received

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I just checked my DC# .. it said it was expected to be delivered on 1/31... but apparently it was stuck in Rhode Island for 3 days.. maybe because of the snow?... last thing says it was processed at another sorting facility in NY and that it left that facility at 1:39am last night. Pls let me know when it arrives and I'll keep checking the DC#. :-:

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will most definitely let you know when it arrives :)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

As of 8:53pm it's showing in Rochester NY and that it is currently in transit. Again. This is nuts! :(

Looks like it was stuck in Rhode Island for FOUR days! grr

Label/Receipt Number: 0310 1230 0001 3098 0845
    Expected Delivery Date: January 31, 2011
    Class: First-Class Mail�
    Service(s): Delivery Confirmation�

Your item was processed through and left our ROCHESTER, NY 14606 facility on February 04, 2011 at 8:53 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 04, 2011, 8:53 pm, ROCHESTER, NY 14606
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 03, 2011, 1:39 am, NEW YORK, NY 10199
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 01, 2011, 2:35 am, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 31, 2011, 6:45 pm, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 30, 2011, 10:18 pm, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 28, 2011, 10:16 pm, ATLANTA, GA 30320
    Acceptance, January 28, 2011, 2:37 pm, POWDER SPRINGS, GA 30127

I'll be checking it again tomorrow...

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

The pkg now says it was delivered to you today!! Did you get it?? lol :D

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No I didn't get it...and my husband was home all day and actually met the mail man at his truck to get the mail.
    :(
    Lets keep our fingers crossed for monday.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

WHAT!?!?!

Here's what I get from the DC#:

Label/Receipt Number: 0310 1230 0001 3098 0845
    Expected Delivery Date: February 5, 2011
    Class: First-Class Mail�
    Service(s): Delivery Confirmation�

Your item was delivered at 10:43 am on February 05, 2011 in SKANEATELES, NY 13152.

Detailed Results:
    Delivered, February 05, 2011, 10:43 am, SKANEATELES, NY 13152
    Out for Delivery, February 05, 2011, 8:31 am, SKANEATELES, NY 13152
    Sorting Complete, February 05, 2011, 8:21 am, SKANEATELES, NY 13152
    Arrival at Post Office, February 05, 2011, 7:57 am, SKANEATELES, NY 13152
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 04, 2011, 8:53 pm, ROCHESTER, NY 14606
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 03, 2011, 1:39 am, NEW YORK, NY 10199
    Processed through Sort Facility, February 01, 2011, 2:35 am, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 31, 2011, 6:45 pm, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 30, 2011, 10:18 pm, PROVIDENCE, RI 02904
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 28, 2011, 10:16 pm, ATLANTA, GA 30320
    Acceptance, January 28, 2011, 2:37 pm, POWDER SPRINGS, GA 30127

I don't know why it would say it was delivered if it wasn't... ooh this is driving me crazy! I'm sorry if this is holding up the swap.. swap pkgs usually take 3 days tops to get to their destinations, granted there was all that snow somewhere midway but, still. ugh..

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Sassy, I've had things that were shipped UPS or Fedex, and they will show that it has been delivered, when in reality they "delivered" it to my local post office, who then delivers it to me the next day. Since you sent it through the USPS though, I'm not sure what that means ...

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Me neither. I'm just frustrated.. I came so close to paying for priority, but w/ all the snow it would have gone thru that may have not made a difference either. I'm just glad I did the dc#.. Hopefully Monday!! :)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Wendy, you sent the package to the wrong person! I just checked the mail and your package is here. Donna is hosting the swap this year though. I'll send it along to Donna tomorrow.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

ROFL oh wow.. did you do it last year? I remember I just searched my email for the swap name and wrote the address down.. my goodness. Don't I feel like the biggest dork ever!! LOL Thank you! :D

Well hmm.. wait a minute.. becky I have an email from you with your address and this swap name.. I'm so confused!!! lol

I'll respond to the email that I used Becky. Well this swap has definitely not been boring..lol dogs eating seeds, swap pkgs MIA.. *whew! :D

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I ran the swap last year.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Hahaha!!! Well, that explains things, LOL! I didn't even pick up on the Skaneateles, NY destination : )

Too funny!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Sassy's seeds are on their way again!

DC 0303 1910 0001 4151 6247

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bet my e-mail to you ended up in a spam folder and that would be why you only saw Becky's address....I probably should have sent it thru GW in the first place so I take full responsibility...oh well it all ends well(plus I got that needed chuckle LOL) :)

So here is how it stands right now:
    Shanta/? - received
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ? - received
    sassybutterfly_2008 / Wendy - PENDING!!
    jessew/ ? - received
    lisa831/Lisa - received
    jodie74/ Jodie- received

I am going to e-mail Jennifer and see if she is okay and still in the swap.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

If you're looking for me.. I'm that gal in the corner with the BRIGHT RED face.. just sayin'... :)

Becky, let me know what I need to send ya for postage please!

Thanks! hehe
    ~Wendy

• dieg01991
    13 years ago

Oh SHOOT, I forgot to send you postage too! Ahhhh, sorry, since my husband mailed the envie for me, I don't know how much to send you. Could you let me know and I will get it in the mail ASAP!! OMG...I am soooooo sorry!!!!

Amy

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I talked to Jennifer and her seeds are on the way...so as soon as I can, I will finish up everyones envelopes and we will go on to the Going Once, Going Twice portion of our program :-)!!

Donna

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are almost there!!

Here is the list as of this afternoon:

So here is how it stands right now:
    Shanta/? - received
    jshipway/ Jennifer
    dcj24 / ? - received
    sassybutterfly_2008 / Wendy - received
    jessew/ ? - received
    lisa831/Lisa - received
    jodie74/ Jodie- received

• plant-one-on-me
    13 years ago

Could someone shoot me an email when the going, going, gone gets going? Sometimes I get so busy I don't have time to check. Kim

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't forgotten you folks...really I haven't.

We are still waiting on an envelope... it has been at least a week since it's mailing so I am figuring it should be here today or tomorrow.

In the meantime I have been splitting up the seeds that have already come in. So once that last envy comes in I can hit high gear and get to the Going Once Going Twice part :)

I will post here in advance of posting that new thread and give you all an approximate time for when it will be posted :) .

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Did the last pkg arrive yet?

Yes, I'm buggin' you..lol

:)

~Wendy

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately the last package has not arrived. :(

A heads up though...I am going to start posting the Going Once, Going Twice portion of the swap starting late morning tomorrow It will be a new thread so keep an eye out!!! I will update it tomorrow night and again Tuesday AM/PM and Wednesday AM/PM....after that what is left goes in with the Need4Seed stuff.

Thanks Again
    SunnyK
    Donna
    Thanks for Playing All!!

• gryffin
    13 years ago

Is the Going Once, Going Twice portion open to anyone, or just those who sent in seed originally?

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, it is just open to the people who sent in seeds.