PARTICIPANTS
1) octennessee/heather - HOSTING
2) socalgardengal/christine - REC. INCOMING & REC. OUTGOING
3) HappyGardener23/corrie - REC. INCOMNG & REC OUTGOING
4) seedkeeper - never received anything at all
5) hementia8/charlie - REC INCOMING & REC OUTGOING
6) GardenGirl37232/emily - RECEIVED INCOMING
7) brbnightmares/julie - RECEIVED INCOMING

WHAT: A swap with nonGMO seeds! Be aware that many major seed companies have signed the Safe Seed Pledge and are therefore sources for nonGMO seeds, including Johnny's Select Seed, Seed Savers, Baker's Creek, etc. You can find the list here: http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=261

Why: A GMO seed is a seed whose genetics have been altered. Many people are not ok with eating genetically modified food and want vegetable seeds in a purer form. With 90% of seed companies selling GMO seeds, it is difficult to find Non-GMO and safer veggie seeds. Many seed suppliers have agreed not to sell GMO seeds and have signed the Safe Seed Pledge and I would like to host a swap to get our hands on a variety of these safer seeds.

How: Here is the Nitty Gritty

1) Please only participate if your seed source has stated that the seed is non-GMO or is seed you personally collected from organically grown plants and/or are heirloom seeds from a non-GMO source - and list this info on the seed packets. All seeds will be labeled clearly with their source, year (all within the last two years), plant name and info (heirloom, organic, etc.)

2) This swap is for garden seed, which will include fruits, herbs, veggies and other plants that may have a use other than ornamental purposes.

3) I am fine with up to 5 packs of duplicate seed with any more than 5 of the same seed being considered bonus seeds Seed packets should contain at least 10 seeds - or an appropriate amount if they incredibly small or are quite large as you guys know what is fair. If the seed is something very rare or amazing, go ahead and send it in even if you can't meet this guideline but please note how many seeds are in the package. I will do my best to match these up with someone who would really like what you have, despite the low seed count.

4) I will accept your seed between now and February 15th and will return seeds to you, in your own bubble mailer, postmarked within that same week.

CHECKLIST FOR YOU PACKAGE TO ME:
Contained inside your bubble wrap envelope:
1. Seeds for swappin' clearly labelled
2. Postage or cash equal to what you use to send to me
3. A label with your address to attach when I return to you
4. A wish list and/or a do not want list

This post was edited by octennessee on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 17:36

Comments (48)

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Updating to add some GW folks who were interested via email

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Is there a way to change "eatables" to "edibles"? Would you guess I am college educated? I was short on coffee today but just figured out what looked so weird in that title!

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

Yippie! To clarify Heather, are seeds from 2010 or later acceptable or only 2011 on forward?

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2010 or newer, properly stored pleased for best viability. Also, duplicates above 5 packs will be considered bonus seeds.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is it just gonna be three of us?

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Awesome to see this posted Heather! Can't wait! Thank you for going through with this swap!

• seedkeeper
    11 years ago

I would like to join in the swap. I am new to seed saving but can offer a few to add.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to the swap seedkeeper!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone else?

• hementia8
    11 years ago

I'm Game
    Got plenty
    Charlie

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to hementia8 (Charlie)!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

welcome GardenGirl37232 (Emily)

This post was edited by octennessee on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 23:08

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a reminder that we are ten days from the deadline for sending out seeds. Let me know if you did not get the address or have any questions!

• hementia8
    11 years ago

Got a flat rate box out this afternoon consiting of 33 packs of beans,cowpeas,butter/lima beans,corn and okra
    All were from my garden last year
    DC# 9505 5106 0827 3037 5518 42
    Estimated time of arrival Friday
    Charlie

• brbnightmares
    11 years ago

I wanna play!

Julie in Brooklyn.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are in Julie. I'll send you my addy so you can get your things to me by the deadline. Thanks for playing!

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

My seeds are going out in the mail today...cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, rutabaga, brussels sprouts, greens, eggplants, melon, squash, etc.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, hapygardener. Okra is on my want list, for sure!

Also, I updated the first post to reflect what I have received, which I will keep doing until the deadline.

I am thrilled about this swap! Thanks, guys!

• brbnightmares
    11 years ago

I am packaging stuff this weekend, and will drop it in the mail by Monday. We're getting a horrible storm so I didn't bother today.

I don't have a ton of stuff to share but just want some more variety and I am trying not to order more seeds!

I have beans, herbs, TONS of alpine strawberry left over, Atomic Red carrots, mini bok choi, tomatoes, and ground cherry.

I ordered too many flowers this year! (j/k I need more still!)

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome! Thanks, brbnightmares!

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Package sent today containing seeds for cherry tomatoes, eggplants, herbs, fennel, gourds, winter squash, chard, edamame, long beans, brassicas, parsnip, etc. Most from my garden, all harvested in 2012, a few from Peaceful Valley.

• brbnightmares
    11 years ago

Package sent by priority mail today!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

waiting in seedkeeper and then I will be ready to sort and send! Hopefully they will come today or tomorrow and I can get them back to you Monday!

• brbnightmares
    11 years ago

YAY!

Just FYI you get an extra day! Monday is a postal holiday.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.s. brbnightmares - your package and info sheet was adorable

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haven't heard back from seedkepper just yet and nothing came in today's mail. If nothing arrives Monday, I will sort at noon and mail out Tuesday morning for you guys.

To the folks who sent in 60+ (there are just two of you), I am afraid it will be impossible to send back 70 packets without sending some things that are on your "do not want" list simply due to the low participation and variety in the swap. Luckily, I found at least a couple of your most wanted seeds in what others sent in. Hope everyone is happy with their loot...

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

Thank you again for all of your hard work!

Just a reminder again, there is no mail service on Monday due to the Presidents Day holiday so unfortunately there is no chance of seedkeeper's package coming then.

...and I am sure that we will all be happy with our loot ;o)

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I keep forgetting!

Change those days to Tuesday and Wednesday.

• pinkiris
    11 years ago

would love to join if not too late! =) thanks!

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Heather, would you mind posting an update on what is going on with this swap? I thought seeds were going out on Wednesday, but I have not received anything in the mail yet. Thanks.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry guys!

Everything has either gone out or has been packaged up and will go out tomorrow afternoon. I went ahead and sent the ones that had enough postage to be added. The ones that required going to the counter at the post office will be mailed on my lunch break tomorrow from work.

Thanks again! I think (hope) you will all be happy!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops! Double post!

This post was edited by octennessee on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 18:08

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update! I am sure we will be very happy with what we get. Always nice to try new things! Thanks again for organizing.

• Sowth Efrikan
    11 years ago

Hi, I would be interested in future non-GMO/Heirloom veggie swap. Please contact me when you hold another. Thanks so much!

• hementia8
    11 years ago

Have all been shipped
    I have not received mine as of todays mail
    Charlie

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

I also have not received mine yet either as of today's mail. Heather, would you mind posting an update of what has been shipped and when? Thanks.

• hementia8
    11 years ago

Still waiting
    Please advise DC#
    Charlie

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

Heather, is everything okay? Getting a bit worried not to have heard from you on the thread in over a week and it seems that all of the packages are MIA. Hoping that you are alright.

• hementia8
    11 years ago

My eatables arrived this afternoon
    What great variety
    Thanks Heather and all who participated
    Charlie

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

Thank you Heather and everyone for sharing seeds! I received mine today. Happy planting :)

• happygardener23
    11 years ago

Heather,
    My seeds have arrived. What a fun selection of many new-to-me things!

Heather, I am sorry that the postage that I sent was short. I didn't factor in that the seeds that I was sending in were so light (tomatoes, herbs, greens, etc) and the seeds that I might get back would be so much heavier (beans, corn, squash, etc). Please lmk if I can send paypal for the difference to you to the email address that I have or if I should use another address.

Thank you everyone for a great swap!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happygardener - no need to send me anything for the extra postage. I just sent you a message about that, too. I felt so bad that you guys were a bit worried because they went out a few days late.

Glad everyone is happy so far! It was a good variety!

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Heather, I still have not gotten anything in today's mail. Can you let me know if my package has been sent out yet and if it has, when it was sent? Thanks.

• brbnightmares
    11 years ago

I got my stuff right away! I already have 4 inch Wapsipinicon Peach tomato seedlings ready to plant in bigger pots, and laid out some basil seeds yesterday!

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brbnightmares - great!

gardengirl-
    Everything has been sent and should have arrived. Let me know if it does not come in Monday's mail. Everything else has been received by now.

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Still nothing in today's mail.

• gardengirl37232
    11 years ago

Still nothing in the mail. I think it is pretty clear I am not going to get anything in the mail. Pretty disappointed in this whole thing after all the waiting, time, seeds and postage. Glad everyone else is happy with what they got.

• octennessee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am super sorry.

I have no idea what has happened to your package- it didn't even have that far to go, it seems. I am unsure what I can do to fix the issue but will do whatever it takes. I worked pretty hard on the swap and don't feel like I did anything in my control to cause your disappointment but I will do whatever I can to make it up to you. I can go purchase some seeds to send to you? Or send you the ones that I got out of the swap that I have not yet began sprouting? I also got a couple of packets of native american seeds I can send you?

Let me know what you think is fair and again, I greatly apologize. I did try to do my best to make everyone happy with their loot.