Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fresc1000

NEW: Splendid Squash Swap!

fresc1000
9 years ago

Welcome to the first annual Splendid Squash Seed Swap!
This will be a pumpkin and winter squash only swap.
Edit: gourds and summer squash are ok too!

Comment below if you are interested in joining the fun.

1) Send your seed envelopes in a bubble mailer, with a return address label and enough postage for an equal number of packets to be returned to you (stamps or cash is fine). Extra postage will be returned to you. Write your Garden Web Username and/or email{{gwi:807}} somewhere on the package so I can contact you if needed.

2) ~10 seeds/packet is ideal, but if you have a rare variety you want to share only a few seeds of, that is fine.

3) Seeds need to be from 2012 or newer. Label packets with the variety and date. No mixes please. Home harvested seeds are fine, but they need to be pure (no "oops it might have crossed with my neighbor�s zucchini" seeds please!)

4) For now I am making a 20 packet limit. You are very welcome to send more than that, but if you do, they may have to count as bonus seeds to share with others, unless I get enough to send you an equal number back. I am not sure how many varieties I will end up with, so if you send me 300 seed packets{{gwi:807}}, I may not have 300 different varieties to send back to you! I will try my best to make sure that those who send extra seeds get some goodies, but I can only guarantee you 20 packets.

5) Seeds due by March 15th. As soon as I start receiving packages, I will post which different varieties have come in so that participants can make requests about what you would like to receive back. If you don�t make requests, I will mix and match and try to get everyone some neat varieties. Return envies will go out at the end of March.

Even if you only have 1 or 2 packets to share, please join us and I will get you started with some seeds in the wonderful world of squash!
Email me for my mailing address or questions. f.letasse@gmail.com

This post was edited by fresc1000 on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 21:21

Comments (114)

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That makes sense! I'll look for your package midwest-is there an order of preference you'd like for those pimpkins, in relation to your initial wishlist?

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Any from my wish list would be O.K....don't worry about order of preferences.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi I'd like to join. Wasn't able to message you could you send me your address?

• katjaqu
    9 years ago

My Wish List

Asian Round Bottle

Birdhouse gourd

Egg gourd

Snake Gourd

Dragon gourd

Rugosa Friulana

Black Futso

Golden Hubbard

Mini Blue Hubbard

Casper

Thai Rai Kaw Tok

Patisson Strie MeLange

Turban Squash

Piacentina

Jarradale

Big Moon

Red Warty Thing (AKA Victor)

Improved Blue Hubbard

Improved Green Hubbard

Mini Tiger Stripe

Galeaux D’eyesines

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Wild Haired! Would love to have you. You can email me at the above address (at the end of the initial post) and I will send you my mailing addy. I still can't figure out messaging on Houzz.

Angelady777- I think your patty pan mix would be fine to send. Would love to have you in the swap.

• tonyadawn (dawn1972)
    9 years ago

If there is a few patty pan left I would care for a few please. I will edit my wish list and add this too it.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Fresc, look at Erica's post on the Fotess butterfly swap ... she just explained how to get your Houzz email to work. Once you turn it on, it works great. Mary E.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

My Wish list -edit to include new additions

Summer

1. Rosa friulana

2. Cocozelle

3. Pattinson strie Melange

Pumpkin

1. Cinderella rouge vif D'Entampes

2. Piacentina

3. Galeux D'eyeSine

4. Marina di Chioggia

5. Lumina

6. Amish pie

7. Wee be little

Squash

1. Delicata

2. Tiger mini pumpkin

3. Red Kuri

4. Rogosa Violina Butternut

5. Striped Crenshaw

6. Mini blue hubbard

Always open to try any pie pumpkin, mini pumpkin Or any container friendly

Only if there are extra

winter luxury

lemon

any of the gourds

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more week to have your packages to me if you would like to participate! And one more week to get your wishlist up if you have one :)

• catanache
    9 years ago

My wish list as of 3/9:

Winter Squash - Golden Hubbard, Thai Rai Kaw Tok, Triamble & Crown

Pumpkins - Australian Butter, Jarradale, Marina di Chioggia, Red Warty Thing

Summer Squash - Italian Striped Zucchini, Patisson Golden Marbre & Patisson Strie Melange

The balance can be any pumkin-y ones. A friend wants to do a pumkin chucking fund raiser for her church so I'll give them to her.

Thank you!

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Couple more additions:

Captain Jack

Triamble

Pumpkin on a stick (ornamental eggplant)

Red Kuri
    Crown Squash
    Jumbo Pink Banana
    Yellow Warty

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

I would love to add Yellow Warty Pumpkin to my wish list.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

I just got my seed mailed out. It will arrive Sat

• dmagaard
    9 years ago

My wish list. Any mix of these. Thanks!!

Zucchini Golden

Cocozelle

Patisson Strie MeLange

Grey Zucchini

Italian Striped Zucchini

Patisson Golden Marbre

Butternut (no specific variety listed)

Delicata, honeyboat

Yugoslavian Finger Fruit

Mini Blue Hubbard

Green Striped Cushaw

Australian Butter

Connecticut Field

Casper

Galeaux D’eyesines (“Peanut Pumpkin”)

Wee Be Little

Jaune Gros de Pari

Jack Be Little

Miniature Orange Pumpkin

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Wow the squash that came through this trade is amazing. I only have three squash left on my wish list that weren't mentioned

SIbley

Candy Roaster

Bone Marrow

If someone sends in less than ten seeds I'll take the small packs two or three seeds, my squash germination rate is great and the plants are so large I only grow five squash plants per season.

FYI my seed should arrive on Friday, not Saturday I read the tracking number wrong

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi Francesca l have 4 packs of Waltham butternut that I didn't mail because they won't arrive by Sat. If you need them let me know and I will send them off.

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

^^^We have plenty!
    There are certainly a LOT of varieties we ended up with. I hope to do this again next year and see how many more varieties we end up with! Of course many of the rarer types we ended up with only a small packet or two, and a few packets have 5 or less seeds. But I tried to get a good variety for every one and I hope you will all be happy with what you end up with!

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, tomorrow--Saturday--is the LAST DAY to send in your package! Sorry, no later postmarked packages. If you have one in the mail and haven't let me know, please do so, so I know to expect it! There are a few who said they'd like to participate that I have not received a package from. If you're planning on sending one (and can drop it in the mail Saturday) let me know!

Happy trading.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    9 years ago

I thought my pattypan mix wasn't desired and even got a few more squash that are on several people's wishes, since I originally asked. I didn't get a response for a while, so I stopped following this thread, or I would've had my seeds ready to send in. Now, I'm kicking myself! I hope there's still time to get my small package off that might bless some of y'all. If not, it's my bad for getting my feelings hurt and not continuing to follow the thread. Grrrr... I'm so mad at myself right now! If it's not too late, please, send me your address fresc1000, so I can mail tomorrow.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

My original wish list won't let me edit anymore.

the top squash I would like in order.

1. Amish pie

2. Cinderella

3. Rugosa violina butternut

4. Rugosa friulana

4, Musque De provence

5. Peanut

6. Delicata

7. Pattinson Strie Melange

8. Piacentina

9. Red Kuri

10. Wee be little

11. Lumina

12. Cocozelle

13. Marina di Chioggia

14. Mini Tiger

15. Mini blue Hubbard

16. Striped Crenshaw

17. Winter luxury

18. Finger

19. Lemon

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Angela-email sent--love to have ya!

WildHaired-I don't know why it won't-Ive had trouble with it too. Grrr. Anyway, got your package safe and sound yesterday.

9 years ago
    I just barely made the cut off, but my seeds are officially in the mail. I wish I had a little more time and I could've sent more. I'll know better next time. Thanks so much for having me!
  • bluee19
    9 years ago

Wish List

Kabocha squash

Pumpkins - all different sizes/colors

9 years ago

We prefer heirloom types of summer and winter squash. We don't eat the varieties that taste similar to sweet potatoes or pumpkins often, so those are less desirable to us. We prefer the nutty flavors in winter squash and just about any summer squash, but we aren't growing gourds or ornamentals. We are growing different types for just their seeds as a nutritious snack, so good for seeds varieties are much appreciated. Here's a list of some things we'd enjoy, but we certainly aren't limited to these!

Rugosa Friulana

Lemon

Patisson Strie MeLange

Patisson Golden Marbre

Black Futso

Marina Di Chioggia

Miranda

Lady Godiva

Pipian From Tuxpan

Piacentina

Improved Blue Hubbard

Jumbo Pink Banana

Cocozelle

Golden Zucchini

Waltham Butternut

I know some of these are a long shot, but I put them down anyways just in case someone sent a few in. I don't mind even a few seeds of any of the above. Thanks again for hosting an awesome swap!

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got your seed envie Angela!

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Happy Saint Patrick 's day

• mcc371
    9 years ago

I am not going to post a wish list this time. I wanna be surprised!! Just send me a good variety of mainly squash, some pumpkin, and a few gourds. Thank You for hosting this swap! And a Thank You to all who have sent in a great variety of seeds! Wow!

Have a Beautiful day Everyone!

Tammy

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seeds are in the process of being packed up and should be sent out Saturday!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

I'm with Tammy... surprise me! There's a lot of fun varieties and a lot that are new to me so the excitement is mounting!!!

Dawn

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All envies are in the mail! Phew, the clerk was super helpful, but I still am nervous that something went wrong somewhere!

If you live in OH or PA, your package will reach you by Monday. All other states will be Tuesday. Email me if you'd like your tracking #.

Let me know when your packs arrive safely, and I would also appreciate any feedback you can give me, positive or negative, as this was my first time hosting.

Enjoy your seeds!

9 years ago

Fresc1000, thank you for all your hard work pulling off this awesome swap! I got my seeds yesterday and went through them last night. I'm very happy and excited to grow these. For your first swap, I'm amazed at how quickly you got everything done. I have no complaints or even suggestions for you as it appears you did quite well to me! The only thing I'll comment on was that my package was open on one end where the tape didn't seem to be sealed well. I don't think any seed packs fell out, though, but I wanted you to know in case it helps you prepare for your next swap that you host.

fresc1000 thanked angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
  • bluee19
    9 years ago

Fresc1000 ~ Rec'd my package about two hours ago. Thank YOU for hosting and for giving me variety of squash/pumpkins 2 try. Have a Fantastic Tuesday everyone :)

fresc1000 thanked bluee19
  • Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

My mail just came and no package so I sent you an email to get a tracking number sorry to bother you but my post office is a pill.

fresc1000 thanked Wild Haired Mavens
  • dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Oh Fresc1000! You spoiled me beyond belief! Thank you so much! The varieties are incredible and many I know nothing about... Let the research begin on this snowy/rainy evening. A side note- hubby rolled his eyes when he saw eggplant seeds in the pack. One of these years he'll decide he likes it so until then, I'd better keep growing it :)

fresc1000 thanked dm_kelly
  • mcc371
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Fresc1000! I was pleasantly surprised with variety. I can't wait to get started planting. I was so excited after the mail run yesterday that I had to get on computer and look some up. So that is why I am just now letting you know I received them.

Thanks again for hosting this!.

Have a beautiful day!

Tammy

fresc1000 thanked mcc371
  • Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Thank you thank you, thank you. This is the pumpkin patch ohof my dreams. I quickly planted some squash and pumpkin to grill on the fourth of July.

Going to plant four types every two months until July.

Thanks for hosting I learned so much about squash for this exchange

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

I thought my seeds might arrive today (Wednesday) but no luck. I live in Ohio so thought it was to arrive on Monday.

• catanache
    9 years ago

I'm in PA and mine just arrived. So many seeds. Thank you!

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you guys were happy with the results! I did split a few packets of the rarer varieties, so I know some of you have a few packs with only 3-5 seeds. But hopefully they will grow well for you and you can pass the seeds along to others.
    Angela-sorry to hear yours was opened...I watched the clerk tape up each pack, and there was one I thought she was a little too sparing on...must have been yours. But hopefully they all made it to you.
    Mary, I just checked your tracking # and it says for some reason yours was delayed. Hopefully it makes it to you soon!
    Connie, I can't even get my peas in the ground this early--I can't imagine being able to start squash. Lucky you! We got more snow today here in MI. I almost cried.
    Happy gardening!

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Hello Mine came today. Oh what to grow. Thank you

fresc1000 thanked skyblue52
  • dmagaard
    9 years ago

Thank you this was a wonderful swap we got snow yesterday so I understand about not being able to plant anytime soon thank you for hosting I was so excited to see all my variety of seeds one of the best swaps yet happy planting!!!!!

fresc1000 thanked dmagaard
  • fresc1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention, if any of you grow the butternut rugosa violina, let me know how they turn out. I got those seeds from Baker Creek, and they were the most prolific, tastiest butternuts I have ever grown. But none of mine were very "bumpy", so I am curious to see if it was my growing conditions or if others will have similar results.

• katjaqu
    9 years ago

My seeds arrived yesterday. I love them!! such a great variety of seeds.

Great swap. Francesca thank you so much for hosting and hope you host again next year. Thank you to all who shared their seeds.

Have a great year.

Kathy J.

fresc1000 thanked katjaqu
  • midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Yippeeee! My seeds arrived yesterday, and what a wonderful selection! I need to research a few of these which is always fun. Thank you so much to Francesca for hosting a fantastic swap and to everyone who contributed seeds.

fresc1000 thanked midwestfarmwife
  • fresc1000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, now that the season is coming to harvest, any one want to share successes or failures with their seeds?
    I got a lot of neat varieties. My favorite was the jumbo pink banana squash--I took 2 seeds and gave the rest away in the swap. From those two seeds I got 10 or more HUGE pink squashes that are just delicious cooked. Would love to see pics of everyone's results!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Pet squash bigger than pet dog! :)

• midwestfarmwife
    8 years ago

That's a nice one! I sent some Jumbo Pink Banana seeds in the swap. My son said we needed a log splitter to cut them! They work great in pumpkin bread recipes - just bake and cool in the fridge, then bag into pt. bags (2 C. just fit for my recipe). The cooked squash stays a beautiful orange after being frozen too.

• dm_kelly
    8 years ago

I'm going to have to try those again. I must've cooked it wrong last year because what I did was not good.

• fresc1000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Midwest I am pretty sure these were from your seeds!

• midwestfarmwife
    8 years ago

Can't recall what my biggest one weighed, but I figured it was enough to make 32 loaves of pumpkin bread! Everyone who has tasted it says it's the best they've ever had.