Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegardengeek

NEW: Everyone welcome Seed Round Robin

thegardengeek
13 years ago

I want to find homes for seeds that I will not use so am starting a round robin that will cross 2 sites. There will be a large assortment of seeds involved.

Anyone interested in trading seeds sign up here and I will send you my address. Then, send me an envelope (bubble is best but the choice is yours). Inside this envie you must have 1. A return address label with your address on it. 2. Enough stamps to cover the postage back to you and 3. The packs of labeled seeds you want to get rid of. That is it, now seal up the envelope and mail it to me.

When it gets here I will count the packs you have sent, and grab the same number of packs (anyone who had done round robins with me before knows that I ALWAYS send extra) that you sent from the stock of seeds others have sent. I will refill the same envie you sent, put your address label on the front, add the stamps and send it back to you.

if anyone has any questions, please e-mail me thegardengeeks@gmail.com

I want this to be fun. No stiff rules just a fun chance to trade. I am hoping to get some new traders involved to help them get their feet wet.

Comments (120)

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Been lurking & telling myself "You don't NEED to do another swap!" LOL But WOW! How can I miss out on this FUN! COUNT ME IN!! I'll get my seeds in the mail in the next few days......

Jodie

• gardenunusual2
    13 years ago

Just received my large bubble pack full of old and retraded seed, after submitting mostly purchased, new seed.

Thanks.

• thegardengeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so sorry gardenunusual. This trade is for everyone, and many are new members. I could only exchange what I have coming in. Yes, most are from someone's garden or traded from others. I did not think I needed to go purchase new seeds for those that sent new seeds. This was to be a fun swap with few rules so new traders can get their feet wet.

I wanted to say a special thank you to those that are sending in their extra re-traded seeds to share with members. It has helped greatly to balance out the many marigolds and liatris that have come in. So far I have gotten only thank you's (except the one posted above) and I wanted to pass on their appreciation. Thank you so much for your generosity! Everyone is getting more then they started with.

• thegardengeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a quote from one of the traders that loved her seeds "it just made my day,so many seeds,,so much promise,, blessings, adn thanks for letting me in as a newbie and trusting at the very last minute,, hugs ,n blooms,, soon ,, Blessings"

So please know that your re-traded seeds are very much appreciated!

• fwbfig
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie that just initiated my first trades this weekend and think this is a really cool idea. I have some OP comm. seeds in homemade packets (peps and toms) and I pretty much only grow veggies and maybe sunflowers(hint)- Black oil for the chickens and big seeded for me- and of course pretties. Thanks for your endeavor,please send address, I understand your shipping instructions. This thing looks like a huge success from your posts; it sounds like y'all could keep this thing going 24/7/365.
    Thanks,
    Jim

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I think the instructions were clear that this swap was primarily an exercise for new people and for unwanted trades and left overs. There are many other seed swaps out there. Read the instructions carefully before joining any swap for the best experience.
    There is one specifically for new commercial seeds going on now.
    Alana

• fearadyn
    13 years ago

I have to say I find it a little odd that Gardenunusual "First registered on January 25,2011." the same day as the unhappy post was made. That a really fast turnaround~

But perhaps this trader was here under another name?

In any case, Gardenunusual I would be very happy to send you postage and take those old and retraded seeds, (just send me an email and let me know if you would want to do this) to me the only kind of seed that is no good is the one that dosen't come up in my gardens.

I say, if you recieve seeds that you are not gonna plant then give them and someone else a chance and send them out to someone who might.

I think Robbie and everyone who shared in this swap is awesome! Thank you everyone for sharing your seeds and taking the time to do this~

• lovetogarden2008
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see what I get!

• gardenunusual2
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to have barked like that, I was shocked to get seed that is moldy, crushed, super dry. There were alot of generic names, and to not know what color they might be, or if they were saved seed from a fruit at the supermarket. Getting a wildflower mix without knowing what's in it makes me nervous that I might be planting something invasive and stunningly beautiful that's really bad for the environment, like loosestrife. I could clearly see veggie seeds and others that were not wildflowers in the mix. On the other side, I got some great seeds, some endangered flowers which I am honored to try.

I am truly grateful. The time it took and energy alone that was taken to send me this package is worth it. I just felt a little misled. Newbie here, my bad. I will be sowing all of these, and using or donating the plants that come of them. The things I can't identify like 'cantaloupe' or 'daylily' or 'wildflower' I will have to create a test garden for. It'll be fun.

Many thanks for allowing me to trade, I should have really kept my mouth shut and just chalk it up as an experience.

Everyone here is great, and I did receive generous amounts of seeds. Thanks again.

• lovetogarden2008
    13 years ago

That was very gracious of you.

• scottrell
    13 years ago

Seeds sent.
    Thanks for hosting!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

My seeds went in the mail yesterday!

Thank you!

Lisa

• thegardengeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate all of the posts. The round robin is still going strong over 2500 packs of seed in and out the door with many more here including the 11 envies and boxes sitting around my desk.

Just so everyone knows, I do try to inspect the seed packs and have thrown out many that were "crushed and moldy" but I don't have the time to inspect every pack. I try to catch those with very old dates and I replace all of those with my very own seeds. I don't mind doing it, I really just want this to be fun.

As for the wildflower packs, I have seen a few different types of "wildflowers" (one envie had only those seed packs) and to be fair to everyone I sent one to all. If I exchanged all packs of wildflowers, I wouldn't have a seed left in the house-LOL

I did post "new trader tips" on the other site that I am doing this from which included something about wildflower packs. Here is what I posted

"The most common seed in this swap...Liatris, by far...then "wildflowers"

Tip #1 for people new to round robins, if it is your own wildflower blend, please write on the pack what is in it. This way what is not invasive in your area, will not be planted in places it is invasive. Commercial pack usually list what is in the wildflower pack. :)
    Tip #2: Don't send money. Unless you have spoken to the host first. I have had to go to the post office 3 times already, not fun in -15 degree weather. LOL
    Tip #3: Be sure envies are sealed. I have received several that were opened and I had to toss the seed packets out.
    Tip #4: Please don't send envies that are empty. I have sent a few back already and sent my own personal seeds. This is a seed swap which means exchanging. If I have extras, I give the extras to the people who joined and shared with others. I do give away free seeds on the site, but not during a round robin :)

These are just little things, but I know many people who joined are new to round robins and this is how you learn :)
    I said not to worry about details, this was suposed to be fun...and I hope everyone LOVES what they get in return :)"

Again, I really hope everyone has fun with this and enjoys their seeds!

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

a big THANK YOU Robbi (thegardengeek)
    I cant imagine the effort it takes to do a swap of this size. I really appreciate all you are doing!
    and as for the Liatris, I wouldnt mind getting them in the swap...I dont have any yet :)

• wendeyzee
    13 years ago

Robbi the gardengeek,
    I received a fat bubble mailer full of seeds today, thank you for doing this swap, i liked everything.
    Thanks again,
    Wendeyzee

• mastergarder2003
    13 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful seeds love the swap did a great job.

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I too got my FAT ENVIE! AWESOME SWAP! Gonna spend the evening looking up posies & winter sow'em this weekend!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jodie

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!

Robbi, was wondering if you received my bubbler? I mailed on the 18th and haven't heard. ***crossing my fingers it made it there****
    vina

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Oh MY! My above post I meant to post on Willie's New Year Swap! :-)

SORRY!!!! I'm sure this is what I'll be saying when I mail in my seeds & actually get my seeds back! :P

Jodie

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Robbi,
    Thank so much for your email and the link. I was wondering how you were keeping track of ALL of us :). So happy to see it made it there :)
    vina

• smitties
    13 years ago

All I can say is WOW. You must be receiving and sending daily because I have never had such a fast return of my envelope. I have say WOW again at the selection I received. I have quite an extensive garden and you sent me many things I do not have. Thank you so much for making this gardener very happy.

I truly appreciate all the hard work you are doing to make all of us so happy to have joined in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and indeed I had FUN!! Margo

• lovetogarden2008
    13 years ago

I got my seeds today. What a lovely way to daydream of spring in this cold winter day.

Thank you again - what an abundance of riches.

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I received mine yesterday. Thank you for the widely varied assortment.
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I got my bubblie today!!!!!
    Such a huge assortment of seeds!
    All I can say is THANK YOU!

Going to look some of them up right now :)
    vina

• hohumhollow
    13 years ago

I got my bubblie! Thank you! Thank you! I can't wait for spring!

• nuttnhunee
    13 years ago

Robbi, I sent my envelop out on the 13th and now I wonder if you got it okay?

• botanicalboi
    13 years ago

I too am interested. Please send me your addy :-) thanks!

• uptreasa
    13 years ago

I got my package yesterday, and I was very pleased. Thank you very much for the swap. It was a great swap!!!!

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

I got my package. Thanks so much for doing this swap and all the goodies you sent.

• fearadyn
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!! This is by far the best swap I have ever been a part of, I am stunned by both the amount and variety of seeds I have recieved!

I cannot thank you enough Robbie,

ok, going back to stunned state now

huggs,
    lynn

• cryptid
    13 years ago

Howdy y'all! I received my package, actually, 3 days ago. I'd have posted sooner, but, well,...we've been kinda busy and our autistic son hasn't helped any with his demanding, uncooperative attitude lately. Anyway,...I absolutely love and am thoroughly amazed by all the totally wonderful seeds I received!! On behalf of both myself and my wife, thank you all so very very much!! Wow!! Gotta get busy Winter Sowing!! :)

• mavis07
    13 years ago

I got my package today!!

Thanks Robbi for the huge variety you sent!

Great Swap!!

Mavis07

• velsgarden
    13 years ago

Hi Robbi,I got my package today.Thanks so much for all of the great seeds....velsgarden

• carol57078
    13 years ago

I got some awesome seeds, thanks to Robbie and everyone who sent in seeds. Going to start wintersowing, thanks again, Carol

• cryptid
    13 years ago

Thank you Soooo much, Robbi!!

• thegardengeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last of the envies will be going out tomorrow!
    I am very happy that everyone enjoyed this :)
    The interest was HUGE!! If I had to guess, I would say I had well over 5000 seed packs through my door, I wouldn't be shocked if it were closer to 10k.
    I really enjoy doing these and am sure I will be hosting another soon, once I give the mail man a break. Today when I answered the door he said "Are you done with those seeds?" with a HUGE smile on his face. He had no packages for me and I think he was very happy. He told me that he counted 93 but said he had a day off and some days he may have counted wrong-LOL Poor man.
    Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their seeds and I hope every flower blooms for you!

Thanks for joining and for those who haven't gotten theirs yet...the last go out tomorrow!!!

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

What a wonderful selection of seeds everyone sent in!
    And, what a wonderful job you did Robbi!
    I couldnt have imagined any better results from a swap.
    ~treasures abound~

thank you thank you thank you

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Received my big fat package yesterday. Thanks Robbi for such a great swap.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but... I received a packet of 'wildflower' seed that came from this swap. There are 2 seeds in the pack that I'm interested in.
    One looks a bit like a small acorn without its 'cap'
    The other is milky white, smooth with a fuzzy grey edge.
    I'm excited to see what this one will grow :)

Can anyone ID these seed ??
    {{gwi:140622}}

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

A FAT envelope arrived a few days ago. It took nearly the entire morning to look up all the wondrous things inside. Thanks so much for all your hard work! I'm afraid I could become an addict. Now back to scavenging for winter sowing containers :)

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday. Thank you for all your work on this swap Robbi.

Ellie

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I received my package yesterday... thank you Robbi!

• gee_oh_nyc
    13 years ago

Mine were in the mailbox when I got home today. What a great swap. So many surprises and so good to be a part of it all. Thanks everyone and a HUGE "Thanks" to Robbi for making it all happen.
    George

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Seeds arrived while I was away and what a nice fat pack it was.
    Many thanks to all who participated.
    I have lots of new things to look up and that is definately part of the fun.
    Thanks again
    BB

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie but would love to participate! :)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Anyone ID the seeds above?
    I'm curious too.
    Bethb

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

I've posted the seed pics on 3 different forums but still havent gotten an ID yet.
    I've tried searching seed ID web sites also but no luck.
    I'm really really curious!
    Help anyone, anyone ???
    There was only one seed of each type. Think I'll plant the white one and see what i get....such anticipation!
    hope it grows something wonderful :)

• alwaysagarden
    13 years ago

Hi Robbi, recieved my package of seeds a couple days ago. Thank you for the great selection! Have a wonderful Spring! : )

Cindy

• thegardengeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I can't help with the ID. I still have many of those same packs here. I was sent many.

This swap closed Jan 31st. Got a final envelope in the mail yesterday. Keep an eye out as I will try to do another one soon :)
    Thank you everyone!

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

Thanks Robbi,
    I've looked at hundreds of seed images and still havent found one like the white one with fuzzy edges. I'm guessing its a squash or pumpkin type plant. It looks closest to their seeds.
    Wish I could find out.
    Thanks for trying and again, thanks for a wonderful swap :)